Worm's Wonderful Writing Words of "Wisdom": GET BACK ON IT!

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Project_Worm

It has been a while since I produced anything of substance within the fan fiction forum. However, recently (with school and work taking up more and more time) I have developed a newfound sense of self accountability, it's essentially a rude bully version of my conscience. It tells me I need new glasses, forces me to comb my hair before going out in public, says I need to shave because my beard is patchy and it makes me look lazy instead of manly (it's done wonders for crippling my self esteem…), most importantly however it chides me for not writing on a consistent basis. Because of that I have been writing more than I ever have before. I've written more these last few days than I expected to write for the entirety of NaNoWriMo.

Anyways, this is me (a half-decent writer) attempting to give you (semi-useful) advice that has been given to me through a wide variety of mediums... Okay, seems like more than enough rabble. Let’s start with getting back into the act of writing.

Brain farts/ Writer’s block

We’ve all had to deal with it at one time or another, sitting down to write, whether it's with pen and paper or hands on a keyboard. You sit there getting angrier and angrier, “how dare these words, not appear before me!”. Hopefully these tips can help.

GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD

When I speak to some of my buddies (yeah, I DO have friends, I promise), it seems like people confuse not feeling confident about what you’re producing as writer’s block. Far too often we set our expectations for what we write way too high. At this point It’s become almost cliché, the best writing advice is just to write. Honestly, it makes the process sound easier than it is, but it is good advice. Forget the fact that what you’ve written reads like utter garbage. Get past it, have fun, no one has to read the stuff you've puked up on the page but it can help. To get the gold you got to sift through a ton of mud. Write past your lack of confidence, write past all the muddy poop in your way. It’ll happen, you have to write out all the crap inside your "proverbial" brain-stomach, it’s how you’ll get better, It’s how we all get better.

FEEL THE BURN

Sometimes “writer’s block” is just fatigue. You’ve burnt yourself out into a tiny little crispy writer charcoal. “Just write” is great advice most of the time. However, sometimes you need to just not write. Just stop, go for a walk, watch some TV, eat a sandwich, read. Make sure not to take too long of a break, just a day or two, then get back on the horse with fresh eyes and refilled creative batteries.

GET OUT OF YOUR SPACE

A lot of people have a place where they like to write, a place that really gets your juices flowing. Sometimes that trusty spot doesn’t work, you have to get out. It might be that easy, a simple change of scenery might be enough to get your slimy creative writer sauce dripping freely from your fingers.

LET THEM SPEAK

Step back from your story, pluck your characters out, put them in a room and let them talk. Not only will this exercise help you get a better feel for who your characters really are. It can give you some much needed “inspiration” for where to go next.

In closing

I could likely go on for much longer, but I’m not yet sure anyone cares to read. Just remember writers have to write, otherwise we wouldn't be writers. Writer’s block is like Freddy Kruger, stop fearing it and it has zero power over you. Because a writer who writes cannot be blocked.

Hopefully you got some use out of this post. If you liked it leave a comment, if you didn't leave(>_>) a comment. I wanna know what you think, thanks!!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@project_worm: To add on to your "let them speak" passage, I've heard of a technique where a writer will start typing and pretend that he's pen pals with his characters as a way of getting to know them better.

I might try it out in my next blog...or not. I'm not sure if it works better in private notes rather than public.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Heard about that first actually, I just figured that instead of me talking to them to develop their characters, them talking to each other could kill two birds.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@project_worm: It gets tricky when they ask you questions; for some reason those are harder to answer. I think it's because all individuals tend to receive more honesty from these imaginary friends than directly asking themselves, if that makes any sense. lol

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By The Impersonator

These are helpful tips. I've written a related topic, "How To Smash A Writer's Block."

I'm on the same page here. I've always wanted to get back to writing. But I have a lot of things to cover in real life. I have a job and a daughter to take care of. Who knows? I might have that chance. I've written quite a lot back in those days. By looking at my previous work, I've worked hard. Not saying, I'm a perfect writer. I'm not there yet. Eventually, I'll get there at some point as I keep on writing. When you keep writing everyday, you'll improve your writing skills.

Who doesn't love to write anyways? It's damn fun if ya ask me. I'm sure, I'll get back to do the thing what I love most.