Working on a story.... Advice?

#1 Posted by Sawed_Off_It (13574 posts) - - Show Bio

The story is centered around the relationship between a brother and sister. Sister being 9 years old and the brother being 25. They are very close and she is the literal light in his life. The reason why he was able to maintain such a normal life and live well, mentally.

(Skipping a WHOLE BUNCH of details and context)

Though the protagonist has lead a not so glamorous but typical life, he has avoided what deep seeded issues that had been brewing and growing much larger below the surface. This is because his sister was born a year or so before their mother’s death. He would have caved and lost it had he not had his sister there and to look out for. Since she was there though, his life never took that wrong turn and the inner being/who he actually is remained contained.

Had his sister not been taken from him in a heinous and depraved act later in the story, it would have stayed that way. But she was taken and that turn gradually did happen. The protagonist was always capable of forgone madness, he just needed a trigger to give into it. Losing her was the initiation of that.

(Again, skipping HUGE amounts of contexts)

Any of you have any idea how one would explain the ability of a human brain to suppress supernatural tendencies, if it is indeed just that - human? Can a mind, secretly full of monstrous and sadistic desires repel the effects of a supernatural mark/tainting for a long while? And then co-exist when they are brought to the forefront of said character.

At his core he is essentially a troubled and ill minded person (always has been); a slasher-esque character by the end of the story with many odd abilities, but with that type of character always existing inside of him and only being brought out due to his loss, is it far fetched (yes I know this is all pretty vague) to think that a troubled human mind with no supernatural ability in itself could clash with supernatural awakenings/discoveries that occur later on in the story and they both play off each other?

I mean, what I am asking is, is it conceivable to believe that a some source not of this realm can be kept idle and hidden by an ill mind? All the while, having his normal humanity reign supreme for most of his life?

Can you be both?

#2 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (5092 posts) - - Show Bio

Ight so whatchu do is give Batman prep time.

#3 Edited by noobmaster2001 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

Are these Supernatural tendencies another being or is it just another part of him? you could make it similar to Hulk or Venom of having a dark side to them with the characters love of his sister being the only thing suppressing these emotions it shouldn’t be possible but his love is that great, but when she was taken the supernatural tendencies begin to come out and he is heavily affected by them.

#4 Posted by KingOfWakanda (3210 posts) - - Show Bio

This immediately made me think of dissociative identity disorder or multiple personalities. Kind of like a coping mechanism to deal with a traumatic life event. Although this is a bit different as it's been bubbling beneath the surface all along. Kinda reminds me of Dexter's Dark Passenger. I think it's possible to battle with a dual nature, even if that nature is supernatural.

Would make sense if the supernatural gifts were a part of him all along, rather than him being unstable and then having to battle with supernatural forces while still trying to be a good person.

#5 Posted by Sawed_Off_It (13574 posts) - - Show Bio

@noobmaster2001: @kingofwakanda: Yes pretty much.

They have been there all along but when his sister is taken from him, they rise to reality and so does his true nature as a sick individual.

Love would be the only thing that suppresses it.

#6 Posted by silverspidey (241 posts) - - Show Bio

@sawed_off_it:

The story is centered around the relationship between a brother and sister. Sister being 9 years old and the brother being 25. They are very close and she is the literal light in his life. The reason why he was able to maintain such a normal life and live well, mentally.Though the protagonist has lead a not so glamorous but typical life, he has avoided what deep seeded issues that had been brewing and growing much larger below the surface. This is because his sister was born a year or so before their mother’s death. He would have caved and lost it had he not had his sister there and to look out for. Since she was there though, his life never took that wrong turn and the inner being/who he actually is remained contained.

So this is his backstory which is simple and straight forward.

Any of you have any idea how one would explain the ability of a human brain to suppress supernatural tendencies?Can a mind, secretly full of monstrous and sadistic desires repel the effects of a supernatural mark/tainting for a long while? At his core he is essentially a troubled and ill minded person (always has been); a slasher-esque character by the end of the story with many odd abilities, but with that type of character always existing inside of him and only being brought out due to his loss....to think that a troubled human mind with no supernatural ability in itself could clash with supernatural awakenings/discoveries that occur later on in the story and they both play off each other?

What you are describing here is either a very good Villain with emotional issues, or an anti-hero with a split personality like that of Moon Knight or event Deadpool. You can definitely play this off each other, but in a literary point, you have to very clearly write/describe/distinguish when these two 'modes' of the character are coming about. You can expositorily write about the troubled mind of your character, but then you need to have a method where you describe a scene of this actually happening. I'm doing a similar concept in one of my stories now. I suggest that you do some research on mental disorders to get a handle on it. Fit in the supernatural or fiction aspect afterwards.

What type of story are you trying to write?

Avatar image for undeckedlion395
#7 Posted by Undeckedlion395 (252 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, what I am asking is, is it conceivable to believe that a some source not of this realm can be kept idle and hidden by an ill mind? All the while, having his normal humanity reign supreme for most of his life?

Can you be both?

I guess show something like his daily struggle to keep this thing at bay and show how certain inconveniences can have him almost dip into these dark tendencies but he reminds himself of his sister, after she gets taken away just show the gradual change as he slowly sinks himself into those dark tendencies.

I'm not great when it comes to writing advice (amateur writer myself) so I can't really say much on this.

#8 Posted by Sawed_Off_It (13574 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverspidey:

It is a darker toned story but not until halfway through the story does it take that turn. It is part of a larger universe but this is the first story I am working on.

It is horror/drama at its core but while it can be confusing, I want to make it as easily understood as possible.

What loss can do to a person, especially when that person is unique in many ways.

@undeckedlion395: I appreciate any advice. Novice or not, I’d like to hear what you have to say.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
#9 Edited by TheInsufferable (3289 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a matter of execution and exposition.

For instance, is the supernatural gonna be referenced (directly or indirectly) before this character's descent into this later phase? Is there going to be any foreshadowing of these changes before losing his sister? And if there is any foreshadowing, is it going to be of a psychological nature or supernatural? The nature of his madness itself; is it something repressed inside him which is unleashed by the supernatural influence, or is it created by the supernatural influence, and if it is, was it a gradual development?

I'm not, of course, asking for answers here, what I'm trying to do is bring up a few examples of some of the possible considerations for this story. Ultimately, as long you consider what your choices will entail, you can write pretty much anything in a way that makes sense. The answer to whether this duality is possible or not lies on how you define the supernatural in your story's universe, and on how you handle the character's mental state in different stages.

Not sure if that was of any help.

#10 Posted by Sawed_Off_It (13574 posts) - - Show Bio

@theinsufferable:

To answer your questions.

There is foreshadowing for both of these components. Psychological and supernatural.

It is repressed most of life; almost rising to the surface upon his mother’s death but held in check since he still had his sister to latch onto, metaphorically. He still had her to hold on to as a final branch before falling completely.

He himself doesn’t display any supernatural abilities but a side story involving him and his sister does hint at what they may be attributed to without fully explaining anything.

So yes, it is gradual but more so the psychological aspect of it. The supernatural element he finds in himself later is a separate side story in of itself.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
#11 Posted by TheInsufferable (3289 posts) - - Show Bio

@sawed_off_it: Well, in that case, the duality is indeed pretty believable. I don't know all that much about psychology, but the way I see it, there's a turmoil between the conscious and the unconscious part of the mind of someone who's going through an experience such as the one this character is going through. He's trying to repress all the crap and keep it away from the conscious, which is the part he has some control over, but by doing so he is dumping them into the unconscious. But keeping the balance between the conscious and the unconscious parts gets harder as he goes on, and when faced with a tragedy like the ones mentioned, the fuse it finally lit, and the crap comes into the surface.

Now when the supernatural element comes into play, it can act both as a factor and/or a catalyst. A healthier mind is more fortified against supernatural influence, but an unstable mind is more prone to such influence. Which is quite fitting when you think about it. Back in the older times, a lot of mental diseases were attributed to magic and supernatural, so the two have always been, to some extent, related in our conception of supernatural.

#12 Posted by Sawed_Off_It (13574 posts) - - Show Bio

@theinsufferable:

You seem to have a pretty good grasp on what I am trying to get across. I don’t think it’s extremely rare for these types of circumstances to happen in a fictional piece but I was looking for input from maybe the best source for ideas, save for an established author.

Anyway, thank you for your interpretation and that does help in what I am trying to do here.