Wild Western: Moonsick #0

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By dngn4774

"And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying: Come and see. And I saw and behold a white horse..."

No Caption Provided

New Mexico Territory, 1858

The beasts galloped across the roads, now slick with sleet and snow as dark clouds descended from on high, whilst their tiring mount's sides turned purple. For nearly an hour they had been outrunning the lawmen from their latest heist. "Faster--I said FASTER!!!" The male renegade barked at his steed.

Sz-Cha! Sz-Cha! Pewwh! Sz-Cha! Pewwh!-Pewwh! Kra-Thum! Sz-Cha!

Bullets whizzed past their heads as the female outlaw returned fire, double tapping one of the lawmen that hounded them so persistently. "That the best you got Whitehats?" She howled teasingly. Her husband smiled. The bullets, combined with the sounds of lightning and the coin bags bouncing with the horse's movement blurred all of the senses; Such sounds would drive normal bandits into the clutches of fear had only added to the couple's excitement of the chase.

Pewwh!

Her bullet tore through another lawman's throat, exploding his Adam's Apple on impact. "'Hot damn! Only three left now." She smirked turning her head to her husband. As she turned back, five more shots scattered, the first a clear miss, the second tearing one of the bank bags, two more knocking her off the steed, and the last tagging the horse's thigh.

"You bastards shot my gold..." he growled, "Nobody shoots my gold." He sighed as he peered down at his horse. Despite the creature's best effort the wound had slowed it down. He leaned behind the steed's ear and brushed its hair. "There's nothing personal about this," he whispered, before twisting the horse's head 180 degrees.

"Did you see that Piney!" One of the lawmen remarked, pointing to the tumbling horse in the distance. "We killed them both, we killed the Strays!"

"Settle down Duffy. Only thing you killed was a horse, and there's no bounty out for a white bronco." Another lawman remarked. They slowed down to check for the gold bricks that had been spilled. By now the clouds had passed overhead, making the skies a purplish gray. "Damn rain probably killed your horse. All I know is that I clipped the b*tch."

"Can it Sawyer!" The head lawman spoke. "Both you dumbasses are missing the point; we lost eight men trying to wrangle in these hoodlums, not counting the nine they turned into buzzard's food during the robbery. We've got to deadcheck 'em, not for bounties, or for bragging rights, so the folks back home know that our brothers didn't die in vein."

Clap Clap Clap

The renegade clapped in the distance slowly, walking past a dead horse with a half eaten stomach. The crimson fluid that coated his jaw was unsettling, but not nearly as much as the dead look in his silver eyes. "How poetic." He said with a toothy grin. Instantly the lawmen drew their weapons and opened a series of rapid fire, peppering his chest with nearly 20 rounds. Lying down on the soaked grass he chuckled, now with a growing base in his voice. "Hold on...did I say poetic, what I meant was pathetic."

"He's not dying!" Sawyer shouted.

"Keep shooting him!" Piney ordered.

Suddenly the men could hear a howling in the distance. The stray's eyes illuminated, face grew long, and his nails sharpened, as his bones and muscles reassembled. He could feel his blood boil in tandem with his sizzling skin and protruding whiskers.

No Caption Provided

The lawmens' horses began to buck and neigh with fear, and with a frontward leap the beast sank his teeth into Duffy's neck, shredding through the collarbone as if it were made of butter.

"Yeaaggghhhh!!!" Duffy shrieked as the wolf swatted his head off like a cannonball at Sawyer's chest. Piney took aim for the Wolfman's head with a Winchester but the beast used the remainder of Duffy's corpse as a meat shield and kicked Piney's horse down with more than enough force to break his leg.

The head lawman desperately reached for his Peacemaker as the Wolfman overlooked him to trail the wheezing deputy. Sawyer was barely kneeling after chest had been pummeled with the late rookie's head and desperately drew a hunting knife at the monster. The wolf's lips curled, almost taunting the weak deputy as he lunged forward with his blade. The Wolf caught his arm, staring closely into the humans eyes. "W-what in God's name are you? the mortal inquired.

"Better!" He answered, snapping the Sawyer's arm like a twig, before clawing open the deputy's gut. He plummeted to the ground, nearly a yard away from his mentor.

As the older man finally clutched his fingers around the handle, the Wolfman loomed over him like a new moon over the Earth. His pink drool dripped onto the frightened Sheriff's badge as the lawman pulled back the hammer.

Click

"Finish it!" The stray commanded dropping his head to face the old man.

BANG!

A half naked woman holding several sacks of gold approached the campfire where the resting bandit slumbered. His nose twitched as she drew closer prompting him to spring up and follow his lover's familiar scent. He greeted his mate with a deep kiss, tasting the fresh blood on her lips before examining the missing bags. "Took you long enough!" He jested, knowing that it would earn him a hard punch against his shoulder."

"It took awhile to find sniff out the bars. Besides, you left me behind!" She hissed, jabbing him hard. The two fought each other playfully.

"I'll never leave you behind." He said, twining his fingers between her own, clinging their stolen wedding bands together.

She giggled before pulling her hands away. "The storm has past, we should head out before dawn."

He lifted up the sacks and bowed graciously. "Where to m'lady?"

"Someplace fresh. I heard some rumors of a boom town up North. Let me ride you."

"Wouldn't be the first time"--He laughed at how rosy her cheeks got when she thought over her proposition--"Boom-town, that definitely sounds like us. Our own natural habitat."

"There's nothin' natural about us darlin'!" She remarked.

"That may be true, but you know what I meant." He stripped off his clothes, preparing into his Lycan form. "Oh wait, I almost forgot, What do you want our names to be this time?"

No Caption Provided

She clasped her chin inquisitively, "Today I feel like an Abigail, how bout you?"

"Josiah...I don't remember using that name before."

"Then Abby and Josiah it is. Let's get movin' Jo!"

Josiah howled at the sky as Abigail grabbed their gear. A new moon was in the air, glowing darker than ever before.

Next Chapter (Moonsick #1)

Wild Western Roundup (Group Archive)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@dngn4774: Nice, very nice.

"You bastards shot my gold..." he growled, "nobody shoots my gold." He sighed as he peered down at his horse. Despite the creature's best effort the wound had slowed it down. He leaned behind the steed's ear and brushed its hair. "There's nothing personal about this," he whispered, before twisting the horse's head 180 degrees. Probably my favourite bit, though the nobody needs a capital, possibly an exclamation mark

and there's no bounty out for a white bronco." Am I the only one who thought OJ Simpson? :)

Duffy shrieked as the wolf swatted his head off like a cannonball at Sawyer's chest. Very cool, quite disgusting too

She clasped her chin inquisitively, "Today I feel like andAbigail, how bout you?" Should be AN Abigail

Asides from being set a year ahead of mine, which isn't an issue merely an observation, this was really cool. Were-bandits :)

Let's see another...like right now...or sooner if possible

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Didn't see the Werewolf part coming... which is stupid considering his name is Moonsick. I also really liked Josiah and Abigail... even though they seem to be on the wrong side of the law...

Ah well. If they ever meet Irwin Hampton will kill 'em.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Also just twigged that you named them after the Bartlett's from West Wing (Josiah 'Jed' Bartlett & Abigail Bartlett)

Nicely done

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

nice, I enjoyed the read

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dngn4774

@theamazingimmortalman: If you want I can tag your name to new chapters when they are released.

@tommythehitman: Well then he better have a crapload of silver and a deathwish! xp FYI Moonsick is a literal translation of the word lunacy.

@batkevin74: Yeah, I was typing this around midnight and more worried about the end making sense, so typos happened.

Lol, I never saw that show before, so that's a bizarre coincidence, so is the Juice line, considering I was only two years old when the verdict came in. I guess in a way both of the Strays have been acting for a while :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: You were two in 1995...I'm officially the oldest person

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dngn4774

Oh no, I'm not that young...I was 3.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Oh good, I'm a year less than officially old

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@batkevin74: @dngn4774: Great Werewolves, there goes my idea for this group. Still tis a good read, I really wish you would post more. Also I was six in 1993, maybe I'm the oldest...

In all serious a great piece, call me out for the next one

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: I was considering calling you out, but you read everybody's work anyway. :)

If you're interested in werewolves you can still take that route. The Strays ("Josiah" and "Abigail") became that way after abandoning their packs in the Deep South. I don't think I'll be using any other wolves for a while, but it will also be hinted that there are more than two packs.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: I'm wading through at the moment. Working on finishing a report on GCNs in a pond near an industrial waste disposal facility. My plan was to explore the skinwalker concept rather then all out werewolves, although I haven't got past the initial character building phase.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Lol. I was thinking that the werewolves in this universe could change their hair and eye colors as a way of evading wanted posters.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Interesting, not exactly skin walking but close enough

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: If I really wanted to push it, I could have them imitate the voices of others as a means of causing confusion during firefights or mocking crying victims.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: That sounds like the stories of werehyenas from Kenya. During the day in their animal form they learn the voice of people, and at night lure their victims to them before murderising them

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Half Murder, Half Pulverizing all violence

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 1091

#21  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: I liked this story, but something about the dialogue made your strays sound modern. I'm not sure why, and I'm not sure what to suggest that would change that, so let's just call that a note and not a complaint, and move on. :/

Sorry, Batkevin', I'm pretty sure I'm a couple of years older than you, so I'm the old fart here. The rest of you guys though...OMG you're babies! lol

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Pretty sure that's an oxymoron. :P

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Don't be calling people Ox Morons old timer

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Respect your elders, whippersnapper! And go vote!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Voted, rest is up to everyone else. Now where were we you sockdologizing old man-trap!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interesting set up. I was puzzled by calling the bandits 'strays' and then they turned and I said "Ohhhh.." Poetic/pathetic was another nice touch.

I'm setting myself the goal to read all the Wild Western stuff. (I'll fail, but I'm well-intentioned.)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wim_garnet: Just try to read what you can when you can. Your not obligated to post comments, but it helps.

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

@wim_garnet: Just try to read what you can when you can. Your not obligated to post comments, but it helps.

If I read, I comment. Authors have done too much work to not get any feedback.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cbishop

@cbishop said:
@batkevin74 said:

Sorry, Batkevin', I'm pretty sure I'm a couple of years older than you, so I'm the old fart here. The rest of you guys though...OMG you're babies! lol

Daaaaannnngggg! @wim_garnet has us both beat! (Sorry, Wim', your comment still posted to my notifications lol) And YES! I'm not the oldest one here! :D

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Funny, I deleted it because it didn't look like the notifications worked. I was going to try again in a different browser.

Now hand me my cane, kiddo.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wim_garnet: lol, Don't worry, you've only got me by three years. ;)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@dngn4774:

I actually read this. Its good. Very good.

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I had read this and forgotten. Enjoyed it just as much this time. Thanks!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asides from being set a year ahead of mine, which isn't an issue merely an observation, this was really cool. Were-bandits :)

Remember I said I had an idea on how to facilitate that story we were talking about? This was it, and being a year ahead of yours makes it even better. @dngn4774, if you're still around, you will be getting a PM soon-ish.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: K. I have to reread all of this. I just thought of a backstory for why these two are on the run. I also had a few ideas on some other supernatural antagonists to add to the story.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: HE’S ALIVE! :)

Perhaps the West will rise again

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cbishop

@batkevin74: Wait, "a year ahead of" yours as in one year before yours? Or as in one year after yours (which could be one year ahead in the future)? Just realized you could take it either way.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Red Fog is set in 1857, Moonsick is in 1858. In RF 5/6 I forget the Sheriff in my story gets a letter from New Mexico way from his cousin who is the victim in @dngn4774 ‘s tale

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: That's even bettwr! I'll have to get on this during the weekend.