Wild Western: Irwin Hampton #1

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Note: This is no longer being told from anyone's point of view. It is now set in the third person.

1831, Somewhere in New Mexico...

"The mongrel needs water."

The masked raider glanced up from the morning paper he was reading and stared across the room towards his colleague. The raider was tall, strong and was notable for always wearing a black bandanna across his face, he was known across the state for a wide range of crimes involving robberies and murder, it was very rare when one of the raiders crimes didn't turn bloody... but the last crime had turned out worse then expected.

It was a dark evening, with the only two visible sources of light being the multiple candles lit across the room and the pale light of the moon shining down from outside,

"So go feed it." The raider grumbled before going back to his paper. His colleague sighed, a lesser known criminal who called himself the Red Bandit, known for attempted assault. He was old, slightly overweight and balding in the middle of his head. Slowly he stood to the ground and plucked up the bucket of freezing cold water by his feet.

"Be back in a minute." He sighed again before stepping out of the small house's exit. The landscape around the house was largely deserted with nothing to see for miles with the exception of sand and a dusty dirt path that nobody ever used. On the rare occasion that someone actually did use the filthy thing they never paid any attention the the young boy that was chained up outside. They probably weren't brave enough to investigate... or they simply didn't care.

The Red Bandit walked round to the house's back and stared at the hairy four limbed creature crouched before him, chains wrapped around the beast's gigantic hairy arms and legs. The thing was largely naked and covered with scratches and bruises... as well as bright green eyes staring out from the forest of brown hair covering his face.

"Here ya go, Irwin." The bandit muttered before tossing the freezing water upon his captive. "Enjoy!" He giggled as Irwin Hampton shrieked with endless pain.

Bleach, Utah, Hell on Earth. 22nd February 1857

"Are you sure we can't convince you to stay?" Meryl Freely asked as he stood by the saloon post keeping the place up. "We could sure use a gun like you." The grocer paused before glancing at the several bodies lying on the floor inside the building. "Also we could use some help clearing the bodies."

Irwin Hampton was silent as he adjusted his coat so as to make himself feel more comfortable. He pulled it up his torso and shook his shoulders slightly before climbing upon the back of his horse, Unknown.

"If it's all the same to you..." He grumbled. "Ah'll pass." He glanced at the townspeople staring at him, they'd heard the gunshots earlier and now they were all attempting to get a look at the man that had seemingly killed the Bleach Bandits with a single shot. Word spread fast in a small town... and the town of Bleach was particularly small. Largely due to the amount of murders that took place.

"Those bandits killed the Sheriff when they rode in!" A woman, possibly a Courtesan yelled from somewhere near the crowd's front. "We could always use a new one!"

Irwin patted Unknown on the sides to get him set on a slow trot. The crowd parted as he rode past and he looked down at them with a small smile.

"Ah appreciate the thought." Irwin admitted. "But the pay fer bein' a Sheriff is utter sh!t. An' at the moment... I ain't got no desire to stay in this hellhole any longer." The crowd fell silent and Unknown turned to walk down a dark alley running directly by the saloon. Irwin glanced over his shoulder to see that many of the crowd's members had already started to disappear.

Seemed as though they'd already forgotten their new 'hero'.

THUMP!

Irwin glanced over his shoulder to see the girl from earlier seated behind him. She had a small grin across her face and in the sunlight he was finally able to clearly make out her features. She was short... or maybe that wasn't the word. Small perhaps... thin. With a mop of untidy black hair on her head and large red bruises around her wrists where she'd been cuffed to the side of her captor's bed.

"Owch." She muttered before jumping to the ground and rubbing her behind. "That hurt more then ah thought." Irwin glared at her for a second.

"Ah'm still not sure about this." He grumbled. "Ah don't even know yer name."

The girl climbed back upon Unknown and sat back down upon his saddle, she was dressed in rags with no shoes.

"Name's Dot." She said as Unknown resumed his trot to the end of the alley. "Elizabeth Dot"

"The hell kinda name is Dot?"

Unknown turned down Bleach's main street and slowly continued his path. The place was deserted... and for the first time in forever it was free of bodies.

Bodies that were outside anyway.

"Dot's the name ah made up." She carried on. "An' Dot's the name you're gonna call me till we get to Springville." Dot looked over Irwin's shoulder and grinned at him. "Without any marshal interference of course."

Unknown trotted past the sign pointing to the nearby locations. Irwin glanced at it for a second.

Springville - 55 Miles

"An' why the hell is that?" Irwin asked.

"None of your business."

"That's what ah thought." Irwin smiled to himself. "Then again..." He mumbled. "$250 does sound a mite nice."

"And I'm pretty sure you'll be able to hand in that bounty you collected earlier. How much was thet?"

"$200."

"$450 isn't a bad price for no questions." Dot muttered.

"Thet right there is my specialty little lady." Hampton said. "Ah don't get paid for questions. Ah get paid for answers."

The bright sun shone down from the sky... and Irwin Hampton looked at the town of Bleach behind him. In the distance he could see Meryl Freely yelling something towards him... but he was too far away to be heard and Irwin lacked the effort and motivation to check on what he was saying.

"How long is it gonna take ta get to Springville?" Dot asked as she laid down on the saddle.

Springville was 55 miles away. If all went according to plan... it wouldn't take too long.

"Should only be a couple days." Irwin said. "What're you wantin' to go to Springville for anyway?"

Irwin could hear Dot chuckle behind him.

"Thet... is for you to never find out." She said.

Meryl Freely watched as the bounty hunter he had known for the past 5 minutes disappeared into the distance. Sun shining directly before him and his beast. It was strange really, it seemed almost as though there was in fact another person with him. Freely stared at them for a second before looking away.

"Well..." he muttered. "They're goddamn gone."

He looked up at the sign next to him.

Welcome to --------------

The name of the town had been scratched off over the past few months. The bandits that had taken control of the town had planned to change the name to whatever they'd called it...

Bleach.

Freely stared at the sign before pulling out his knife and etching a new name upon it. Bleach sent the wrong message, granted the town wasn't perfect... but neither was the world. A name that paid tribute to the town's hero was enough... and in all honesty Irwin Hampton being the town's hero said quite a lot... since all he had actually done was fire his gun several times.

Freely stared at the sign and admired his handiwork. It wasn't perfect. In fact it was far from it.

Welcome to Hampton.

"Heh." He mumbled before turning to walk away. "Might as well be Mayor."

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@tommythehitman: Very Firefly with naming the town after Hampton

Now Irwin is, well something. Possible a half-giant or demon spawn or something that ain't quite human. Looking forward to that reveal. I do hope that Elizabeth Dot's last name is Brooks and she's the great-great-etc grandma of Daisy in 5th Column :)

I liked it. No a big fan of the bolding speech but I get that he speaks in a tone so I can live with it

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Thank you for the comment.

I am a huge fan of Firefly so that may have partially been in the back of my mind while writing this.

Dot is not the Great Grandmother of Daisy. I was tempted to have a character with the last name of Brooks show up... maybe one day.

I don't know. Whenever I'm writing large chunks of text like this I always feel like people are going to miss out on the dialogue sections if it's all in the same font.

I think it looks pretty cool.

Ah well.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@tommythehitman: I can already imagine a huge statue of Irwin in the town square. Nice!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By batkevin74
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 1091

#8  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 1091

...Whenever I'm writing large chunks of text like this I always feel like people are going to miss out on the dialogue sections if it's all in the same font.

I think it looks pretty cool.

I get very torn about the bold speech on this forum. On the one hand, we're here for our love of comics, and comics mess with speech all kinds of ways to show us different tones and speech patterns. We're more limited with what we can do on this forum, because we only have certain tools to work with. We can't draw words to make them look demonic, robotic, pukey, icy, or anything else. So bold sometimes has to stand in for a rougher tone of voice. We play a little looser with the tools here.

On the other hand, strictly speaking, your reason for using bold for dialogue is just a sort of paranoia. People aren't going to miss the dialogue if it's not in bold. Books have been printing for hundreds of years, with no change in font style or color, and people don't miss the dialogue.

"Quotation marks," said the writer. "They're what sets dialogue apart from the narration. Make use of 'em."

For my personal taste, I prefer to use bold for emphasis on certain words, although I tend to use italics for emphasis before bold. Only on certain words, not on whole passages. I might bold an entire segment of dialogue if a character is yelling, and I really want to emphasize the boom in their voice. More than likely though, I'm going to try to convey it with word choice and the narration around their dialogue.

For some reason, bold dialogue is popular on the RPG forum. I don't see the point. I think it's more distracting than cool. <shrugs>

I did like the name change to Hampton. ;)

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That flashback. Whoa. Hampton is something very different than I was thinking.

The name change scene evoked old Clint Eastwood westerns for me. (A very good thing.)

For me, the bold font has the opposite effect that you intend. It pulls my eye toward it, past the non-bolded text. So I'm more likely to miss something with it than without it.

Thanks again!

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wim_garnet: He had a bad childhood.

Thanks! Clint Eastwood is pretty amazing!

aw... bold font. I'll get rid of it in the next issue.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Okay, now I'm interested in Irwin's past and genealogy.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped for referencing

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers