ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Wild Western: Confederate Rose #0

Want more action? Check out these titles we rounded up here!!

The Town of Bug, Washington State - 1869

Two men dressed in black jackets and trousers, held up by gun belts, walked into the bar, before giving a nod to the balding bartender, who looked up just long enough from the glass he was cleaning to see the men sit down next to his only patron, before going back to his business. The pair of newcomers was almost identical, albeit one was visibly older and supported a handlebar moustache, but they both carried the heir of authority.

The woman on the other hand, was dressed in red and black, her bust held in by a whale bone corset, her short hair covered by a wide brimmed hat, whilst a jagged scaled boa was wrapped around her neck. Like the bartender, the arrival of the two men was only a momentary distraction for her, before she went back to reading the local paper, the headline triumphantly declaring the surrender of the Confederate States of America.

“Interesting news.” The younger of the two men announced. “I bet there was a time, when the Confederacy thought it could survive the end of the war.”

“It doesn't bother me sir.” The woman replied, her gulf-coast accent, chiming like a bell against the background noise of the street outside.

“I’d wager you're from Louisiana miss.” The older man stated, “Don’t you have any allegiance to your home?”

“Why be patriotic to a raped nation, one conquered by a country ruled by a cruel hand?” The woman asked, as she tilted her head slightly, the boa shifting to one side. “A nation where women are forced to work in hellish foundries, a nation where children die for the advancement of industry, with little pay and even less hope of a future. And to think, your President Lincoln had the audacity to call us cruel slave-owners when his own people work in worse conditions than any plantation worker.”

“That’s your opinion miss.” The older man sighed, “We aren't here to talk about the economy, we’re here looking for a spy, one who killed eleven Union soldiers during the course of the war, behind our lines.”

“I’m sorry sir, but I know of no Yankee soldiers or their murders.” The woman purred, “I can only offer my condolences, and prey that God has mercy on their wretched souls.” She added as her arm twitched, the spasm going unnoticed by the men around her.

The younger man smiled, as he drew his pistol and placed it on the table“You misunderstand Miss Mulholland, we've been tracking you ever since you masqueraded as a nurse in service to the Union. It’s very curious that several men died suddenly and painfully, at the same time you were there.”

“Soldiers die all the time in hospital; fever, poisoning from shot and sickness of the lungs all can strike when a man is ill.” Mulholland answered, as she shot a glance at the gun, before looking up at the ceiling.

“Listen Miss Mulholland, we have a writ issued by the court to take you for trial regarding your activities during the war.” The older man announced, as he got to his feet, his hand now resting on his belt.

“No, I won’t be marched in front of a boodle filled with Yankee whoremongers, before being marched to the gallows!!” Mulholland hissed, as she got to her feet, her hands digging long grooves into the wooden table top. Within a second of the words leaving her mouth, a gunshot sounded, and a bullet bored through her brain, her body hitting the floor before the gun smoke cleared.

“Wallace head to the telegram office, and send a message to the boss before going to the undertaker.” The older marshal ordered his partner. “Make sure that they know Rose Mulholland is dead, and will be burred in the local marble orchard.” A few seconds later, Wallace left the room, and the older marshal turned towards the bartender. “I apologise for the disruption to your day sir, we will attempt to have the matter resolved with the undertaker by the end of the day.”

“You’ll need the undertaker, not me.” Rose stated, causing the marshal to spin round as the woman staggered to her feet. “You should have just left me alone,” She added, as the skin on her arms burst open and a swarm of black widow spiders scuttled out, the tiny arachnids scuttling towards the pair of men standing at the bar. Turning the marshal emptied his pistol, bullets gouging holes in the oncoming swarm but not halting the flow of spiders.

“What is this?” The bartender cried, as the first spiders started climbing over the bar towards him.

“You can call it witchcraft.” Rose told him, as she got to her feet, picked up her scale boa and turned to the door. Behind her the men started jumping up and down, as if they were at a dance as the black widows started biting. Walking out the door, she rubbed her arms, the skin now red and raw as if she had been lashed, and held out her hand, a butterfly landing on the outstretched fingers. “Thank you for warning your queen about those two my friend.” She told the insect, as she headed away from the bar.

Wallace Boyce returned to the bar, and looked around at the figure of his partner convulsing on the floor, a swarm of spiders scuttling up and down his body. Going to the table he had been sitting at, he drew his gun, and fired a shot that ricocheted off the beams of the inn and into his partners head, just as another man walked into the room.

“It’s her lieutenant,” Boyce announced, “she was here, and she still has her temper.”

“That works in our favour Marshal; if you can get her on side our chances of success will be improved.” The newcomer announced, the dim light of the bar flashing off the medals pinned to his granite grey military uniform. “I hoped our hatchet-man would be able to sway the Union’s decision, but his actions weren't enough. In essence Mr Booth failed to achieve his main objective, so now it’s out turn. The Union will learn that our southern heart beats on, and that as long as it does, this war is far from over.”

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@impurestcheese: Nice! The only thing I would change at the very end would be patriotic hearts instead of rebel hearts. A true Confederate would not see themselves as anarchists or fanatics but rather as the true defenders of liberty. On the bright side our universe just gained it's own Red Witch/Spider Woman!

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nice! You've set up an interesting character who seems to be relatively diverse from the rest of our group's army of tough, gruff Gunslingers.

In actuality... yeah like DNGN said she is our own version of Spider Woman.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: The plan was to make a distinct, if somewhat unsettling character, Thanks for the comment,

@dngn4774: Okay I may have the Grey Ghost tone down the anarchic tendencies just a bit

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Rose (you're welcome for the name by the way) actually reminds me somewhat of Fiona from Tale from the Borderlands.

No Caption Provided

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Does she have a nest of black widows living inside her? And yes thanks for the name.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#8  Edited By cbishop
dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: The plan was to make a distinct, if somewhat unsettling character, Thanks for the comment,

I know it's not a contest, but one of my characters ate Lassie...

No Caption Provided

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whoisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Interesting character. I've never read of a magic-using former-confederate before. Very unique.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@impurestcheese: Well I do declare!

“Why be patriotic to a raped nation, one conquered by a country ruled by a cruel hand?” excellent line and excellent question

“You misunderstand Miss Mulholland, we’ve been tracking you ever since you masqueraded as a nurse in service to the Union. It’s very curious that several men died suddenly and painfully, at the same time you were there.” The younger man announced, as he drew his pistol and placed it on the table. I think the action break should come after he mentions her name. It's deliberate that they KNOW who she is, the gun on the table shows he means business and it's the first time it's used so maybe a flicker in her eyes. Just a suggestion.

poisoning form shot Is that a special bullet or an inadvertent typo?

She added, as the skin on her arms burst open and a swarm of black widow spiders scuttled out, the tiny arachnids scuttling towards the pair of men standing at the bar. WTF??? I knew this wasn't going to be just a cowgirl story but WTF? This is more an exclamation of wow-ness than a question. She be made of spiders! That's disgusting

Wallace Boyce returned to the bar, and looked around at the figure of his partner convulsing on the floor, a swarm of spiders scuttling up and down his body. Going to the table he had been sitting at, he drew his gun and fired a shot that ricocheted off the beams of the inn and into his partners head, just as another man walked into the room.

“It’s her lieutenant,” Boyce announced, “she was here, and she still has her temper.” HUH?? Okay now I'm confused. He shoots around the room and the woman we just saw...I'm confused? Can you clear that up for me.

Nice opening chapter, great and bizarre lead. Here comes the pun: this series has legs :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Typo corrected, damm auto-correct. And yes Rose is a living hive of spiders. Boyce is also a Confederate Spy, hence why he killed his partner. He and the Grey Ghost are pretty much the last members of the CSA (Confederate States of America) officer corps left in the fight, and they plan to remind the Union of that, but they need help, and they just found the woman who fits the bill.

Legs? This series has so many legs its walking off the forums page and into peoples nightmares

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batkevin74
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Question: how many can you kill before they get you?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Sure hide behind Commodore Chemical why don't you

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: No, that's John Goodman from Aracnaphobia. Just be thankful he wasn't around in 1860 otherwise Rose would be on her back, legs in the air, foaming at the mouth and on her way to the big web in the sky :)

Now go write more

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Oh don't worry about that...expect more on the Grey Ghost, Rose being creepy and also torpedos

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Nice

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ImpurestCheese
dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dngn4774
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Oh F off! You have to be kidding? I know you're the Celtic animal Queen but not knowing who John Goodman is? You best be joking

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: @batkevin74: Not good with names and faces. Once I saw his filmography I knew who he was.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@impurestcheese: The filled-with-spiders thing was weird, but not wowed by this yet. Call me out next chapter. Also:

“I can only offer my condolences, and prey that God has mercy on their wretched souls.”

"pray."

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! This issue got a ton of views!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

@impurestcheese: Interesting read, and wondering where you're going to take it.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: @delphic: Thanks guys, sometimes you just get things you write that attract readers, Hadn't really noticed, got some bad news this evening and my minds been elsewhere

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a very interesting start. I'm looking forward to catching up.

When Rose broke out her power... wow is that creepy. I mean physically skin-crawling, squirming in my chair creepy. Impressive.

On the kibbitz side: In your second sentence, I always thought the phrases were "sported a moustache" and "air of authority"

Thanks!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@wim_garnet: Ah thanks, that's some more auto-correct mischief. And as for Rose, I'm glad the character is as creep inducing as you say, it means I've nailed the character I had in my mind.

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers