Why is there no love for original characters here?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fics about established characters, a lot of that is very well done here by some talented writers. I'm just asking why originals seem to get ignored, and this isn't just about my originals, I've seen several people attempt it and do a really good job and you can tell they really put effort in it and they get no appreciation hell most of them don't even get negative attention they're just ignored which sucks cause some of it is near professional quality.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By dngn4774

@joshmightbeI think most people read fan fic on this site to hear stories that they wouldn't usually here about the characters they love. Whenever someone deviates from that most readers just scroll down to the next story. The most successful OC's are the children of other superheroes. I consider this uncreative since it basically diminishes their individuality but since it's so closely associated with other name brand heroes it gets more attention than complete creating an OC from scratch. What reader's don't seem to get is that those completely original tales need the greatest support so that we can bring new heroes and villains to the site. Viners have an opportunity to create a whole new culture of story telling but there isn't that one big original title to lead the way for others yet. I hope this changes in time.

P.S. I'm sorry I didn't comment on your grimm series but it sounded very similar to Thor and I'm not a big Thor fan (or Norse mythos for that matter). I appreciate what your doing though and I hope your story gets all of the attention it deserves.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#3 Icarusflies  Moderator
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Its ok, I'm not just posting this to get more comments on my own stuff, tho that would be nice. I'm posting this for all the people creating OCs that get ignored.

@icarusflies: Not all of us want to get involved in the RPGs.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

I think alot of it has to do with the stories title. If you see something titled "Hulk Smash #3" It just seems like an easier choice then "Friday Night Frights #2" I know, I know not the best examples but my point is there. Take for example my "Earth in Chains" story. Sure the story is comprised almost entirely of the children of established heroes and it wouldn't be to hard to get into but the title simply doesn't attract people [Sure I tried to rectify that but it was about twenty chapters too late] as much as "Batman: Punishing Gotham". It just come with the territory I guess, sad but true.

Did I ramble too much? Eh, whatever.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By thespideyguy
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespideyguy: That's true but I prefer to make my characters in the form of stories as opposed to a game setting. Nothing is wrong with the RPGs it just isn't my thing.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespideyguy: That's true but I prefer to make my characters in the form of stories as opposed to a game setting. Nothing is wrong with the RPGs it just isn't my thing.

Same here

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't know what an RPG is.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know right? When ever I post an OC it'll take a month or so before anyone comments. Usually people familiar with my few fan-fics on here. Though on that note I would like to say some of my original writing is getting some attention from an actual literary agent. So as I like to say people should really look into making thier OC's. Good things may happen. ;)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Pyrogram

RPG is probably the place for OC.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: College english professors are great. More so when their friends with a bunch of authors, agents and publishers. I'm just so lucky that all this just fell into place.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe
Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

It's not to much that I'm getting a lot of hate for my original characters, they just don't get much attention. That's just my experience.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dngn4774

@pyrogram: Yeah but it probably shouldn't be. IMO Fanfic allows for much greater depth of character and if done well can show a contrast to how your character handles situations as opposed to mainstream heroes.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@dngn4774 said:

@pyrogram: Yeah but it probably shouldn't be. IMO Fanfic allows for much greater depth of character and if done well can show a contrast to how your character handles situations as opposed to mainstream heroes.

Actually..As I do both - RPG has more depth as you are constantly writing the character.