what makes people want/not want to comment on a fan fic?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Seriously. I feel like people comment on every fan fic but mine. am I just feeling selfish or do others feel the same way?  

Also, multiple times I've had to give up on fan fics because I can't post more than two chapters since nobody comments 

has this ever happened to anyone else?

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CapFanboy

If people don't comment it's either they have no advice to give, they can't be bothered or they didn't like it. Even if they don't like it there's going to be someone who does. If you ever need me to post on one of your fan-fics then by all means ask me, I don't like superman though so chances are I'm probably not going to read it... :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that's what I usually do. I have to write on people's walls to ask them to comment so I can continue the story. If they don't comment, I have to drop the fan fic.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CapFanboy

Just ask me to comment!, if worst comes to worst set up an alternate account. could work if you decide to go into RPGing as well!

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Aiden Cross

Well, i do read fan-fics but i often do that on my phone. And since i'm not a paying member i can't comment on it and i forget to do so when i get on a computer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can comment on fan fics even if your not a paying member.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Aiden Cross

Not from my phone.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By TypingKira

If you REALLY need comments to move the thread along, then just as someone to! :} All writers want to know that people liked their stuff or have at least read it all the way. 

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By The Impersonator
@primepower53: If you ask someone, he or she may able to read your fan-fics. Honestly, I haven't read your fan-fics yet because I didn't had the time to read other people's fan-fics. I'm quite busy nowadays. Whenever I have the time, I can read those stories including yours. So I guess you could say it takes time for people to notice your fan-fics. If you got the views then it's good that someone is reading your stories. I do have several views in my Freaks stories because I know that someone is reading them. Like TypingKira said, posting fan-fics are not just about comments. It's about having fun. And yes, I do get some comments whenever I make the posts. I'm sure you got some comments along the way so it's fine. 

By the way, I'll look forward to reading your stories in time and don't give up writing. :) 
greenlight1107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By greenlight1107

Sorry for that ... I happen to be a little NEW! to the site. I happen to love fan fic. So as other have said, If you ever need me to post just give a holler.....

sentryssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sentryssj4
@Aiden Cross:  
Yup I also read Fics from my phone and it can get pretty hard for me to remember what stories I read. 

@primepower53
:  
Im not sure i can answer your question but you could always try to get a review buddy, You know you read a guys story and tell him what you think and he in turn does the same.
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By castleking

I honestly dont read other people's stories unless i am specifically asked and when i do, i do comment on their thread to kick it up so others can read it.
I have the same problem, i have also given up writing from time to time and think i might just stop with my last story since it went uncommented.

I think that some people prefer an easy read which is short and concise and not a long detailed well written story. I've noticed short stories that can be read within a min or two get the most comments.
 another thing is titles apparently a catchy title will get you readers and comments.

@primepower53

I'll read your story and comment on it. i am really not a superman fan so i tend to skip him normally.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By CellphoneGirl
@Aiden Cross said:
Well, i do read fan-fics but i often do that on my phone. And since i'm not a paying member i can't comment on it and i forget to do so when i get on a computer.
That happens to me as well :P
fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fbdarkangel

you know I feel the exact same way! the more stories I post the less comments I get, which only makes me want to write less! I don't know if it's the case with you, but I think most people are under the impression that if they don't have anything nice to say about my stories then shouldn't say anything at all! but that's the thing! I want them to be critical! Not flames of course, but I want to point out the things that need improvement.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Kairan1979

I usually read fan-fics on ff.net. I comment on them if I want to thank the author, of if I think something is wrong.

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fbdarkangel
@Kairan1979 said:
I usually read fan-fics on ff.net. I comment on them if I want to thank the author, of if I think something is wrong.
and those with ff.net accounts appreciate your thoughts that you give! :) 
@primepower53: do you have a ff.net account?
Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Constantine

If I like it and think its good the piece shall be commented upon!

fbdarkangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fbdarkangel
@Constantine said:
but if you read a piece and you think there's a thing or more wrong, could you please let us know so we can improve?
Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Constantine
@fbdarkangel said:
@Constantine said:
but if you read a piece and you think there's a thing or more wrong, could you please let us know so we can improve?
fair point ;P
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Amegashita

Comicvine isn't the best place to go writing fan fics for, it's just not formatted for it.

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Constantine
@Amegashita said:
  Comicvine isn't the best place to go writing fan fics for, it's just not formatted for it.
example for where is better?

or how it could be better formatted?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Amegashita
@Constantine:  There is a very well done website centered around fan fictions in general, I won't provide the link cause I'm sure it's against the rules to advertise other sites, but if you google fanfiction, the first link should be the correct one.  As for formatting, I can't really think of anything while also not completely over-tooling the entire website's format so it'll be a complicated procedure.
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Project_Worm
@primepower53:  
Tell me about it man... I get a fair amount of views but like 3 comments one of which is always mine fore thinking the guys (or girls) who commented on it..
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Nighthunter

Lol I could also use a few comments but especially new readers in my superman fan-fic ;)

HumanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By HumanX

I don't get as many comments as I would like from as many people as I would like (I do get comments from the Impersonator a lot. he's a cool guy) but I don't tend to comment on other peoples stuff either. Getting support helps you get fired up to write the next chapter and criticism helps make a persons writing better if they learn from it, but some people (like me) have a hard time criticizing another persons work or thinking about how to word a compliment so we end up leaving the page without saying anything. 

It may just be me but I have a nearly uncontrollable compulsion to write, draw and create story lines and characters all the time anyway so even if no one comments on something I write I just keep going with it. I don't give up on them because I mostly do them for enjoyment and wont stop writing until I either finish the arch or story itself, or I just get bored of it. Since I think about it like that, writing it is soft serve vanilla ice cream and people telling me they like it is like the cherry on top (great. now I want a blizzard). I really appreciate when people give me feedback but I will still keep writing until the story's done.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because people are not commenting on your work doesn't mean they don't enjoy it. It could just mean that your readers thought that they didn't have anything of value to say or that they simply couldn't think of how to say they liked it (That would be me most of the time). And if you enjoyed writing it then who cares if people comment?

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Project_Worm
@HumanX: Dude I am exactly the same way about criticizing people.. but the part about not knowing how you said you liked it a simple 'good job' would do, I am pretty sure you would agree that no matter how happy you are with a story getting a compliment makes you feel twice as good about it... right.
Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Loki9876

well they didn't comment on mine yet

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By TypingKira
@HumanX said:
I don't get as many comments as I would like from as many people as I would like (I do get comments from the Impersonator a lot. he's a cool guy) but I don't tend to comment on other peoples stuff either. Getting support helps you get fired up to write the next chapter and criticism helps make a persons writing better if they learn from it, but some people (like me) have a hard time criticizing another persons work or thinking about how to word a compliment so we end up leaving the page without saying anything.  It may just be me but I have a nearly uncontrollable compulsion to write, draw and create story lines and characters all the time anyway so even if no one comments on something I write I just keep going with it. I don't give up on them because I mostly do them for enjoyment and wont stop writing until I either finish the arch or story itself, or I just get bored of it. Since I think about it like that, writing it is soft serve vanilla ice cream and people telling me they like it is like the cherry on top (great. now I want a blizzard). I really appreciate when people give me feedback but I will still keep writing until the story's done.I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because people are not commenting on your work doesn't mean they don't enjoy it. It could just mean that your readers thought that they didn't have anything of value to say or that they simply couldn't think of how to say they liked it (That would be me most of the time). And if you enjoyed writing it then who cares if people comment?
You just won an internetz!  

He's right, it should never be about getting comments, because then you aren't having fun with it. You're just writing it for comments.