W2O: Rathaway Springs#1

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Ted Tennyson was a mailman. But there was a time where he used to be someone. Someone big.

Nowadays, there aren't many who remembers the name Mucus without chuckling a little.

A villain who's superpower was to make people sick? Not dying-sick, but cold-sick? That just seems... well, kinda stupid and silly.

But most people tend to forget that Mucus almost made the entire McDonald's corporation crumple by making everyone who worked in the restaurants through the country so sick that they couldn't work. The company would have lost millions of dollars because of him.

Woulda shoulda coulda.

Bottom-line was that Ted blew it, had his butt handed to him by that super-guy named Rodeo, and was then sent to jail.

His defeat had been so humiliating that no one wanted to hire him anymore. One of the most successful saboteurs for hire with multi-million dollar corporations as a specialty was nothing but a has-been once he was released from the slammer.

Yes, a has-been. Like the city he called home.

Rathaway Springs was a little town in the desert along Route 66, founded in March 19, 1907. It was once an extremely popular rest area where people would stop to shop, eat and fill their car's gas tank. The little town did well... that is, until Interstate 40 was built... That was a hard blow for Rathaway Springs.

So naturally, no one wanted to willingly move to that dump of a town in the dessert... unless you were a super ex-con who decided to reform after serving your time in the slammer, and no one wanted to hire you. But in Rathaway, they didn't care about who you used to be. Just who you were right now. NOT because of some sentimental nonsense about benefit-of-the-doubt, but because... well... they simply needed people to move to the town so it wouldn't die. So word got around the super-villain community that if someone wanted or HAD to go straight, that was the place to go. People like Ted.

People like Lilly Simpsons.

"Hey Lilly. Got your mail." Ted entered the diner and saw that the owner of the establishment was working at the counter. He took a seat and handed her a few envelopes. "Cup of coffee, please?"

"Thanks Ted..." Lilly gave Ted a cup, then looked through the letters and frowned as she recognized the handwriting. "Oh, wonderful. JUST wonderful."

"Your mother?" Ted blew his nose, then took a big sip from his coffee.

"Yep. Probably wants to know when I will get a real husband."

"Well, you and Mac are TECHNICALLY not married."

"Only because we can't risk getting married. He's still a wanted man for something he didn't do." Lilly tore the letter in half. "Mac is a good man. He may not be a saint... but he is not a murderer either."

"I won't argue with that, Lilly. Say hi to Mac from me."

As Ted left the diner, two people entered. A tall woman with a long neck and a short, half-bald man, both of them wearing extremely stupid-looking sunglasses.

Tourists. A rarity in Rathaway.

"... and that's the end of that argument, you got that Petunia?" The man said as they took a seat at the counter.

"Sure, Vernon. Sure..." Petunia rolled her eyes, then tuned her attention toward Lilly. "Hey, could we have two coffees to go, please?"

"Sure thing." Lilly jumped down from her stool to get a pair of paper cups. Vernon looked at the little woman. She was about the same height as a...

"HEY!" Vernon startled Lilly. "I know you, don't I?"

Lilly looked up and saw Vernon looking down at her... and she didn't like that look in his eyes. "I don't think we have met-"

"Yeah, I know you! You are from one of those old insurance company commercials! I saw it on YouTube the other day!"

Lilly flinched. Dear god, WHY!?

"You're Molly the Dolly, aren't you?"

"Vernon, don't be-"

"Aw, come on, Petunia." Vernon interrupted his wife. "She looks exactly the same, only with adult clothes!"

Lilly filled the paper mugs with coffee as hot as her head.

"Vernon, please-"

"Man, those were so CUTE!" Vernon began to giggle. Lilly was not amused. "I especially liked the one where the whole house explodes and she just stands in the middle of the wreckage with a confused and innocent look on her face, and the said; Whoopsy doopsy! I couldn't believe she was 17 in that one!"

Petunia tried without success to make her husband shut his trap as she saw that Lilly looked like she was about to blow a fuse.

"Man, too bad you went nuts, you could probably still have made cute commercials like that and made a fortune." Vernon picked up his phone, apparently oblivious to the fact that the lady at the counter who looked like a child was staring at him with murder in her eyes. "Hey, say something cute! I want to record it andAAAAARGH!!!!"

"Whoopsy doopsy!" Lilly said with an innocent smile as she held the two now empty coffee mugs. She regretted that she had aimed for his shirt instead of his stupid face. "Molly didn't mean to."

"You little psycho!" Vernon yelled while Lilly kept smiling. "That was my favorite shirt! I'm gonna-"

"Vernon, I think we should leave." Petunia pulled Vernon's arm. For some reason, Lilly's smile seemed to be filled with rage. "Please!"

"Yeah... You should leave." Lilly kept smiling, her fingers were itching after grabbing the old laser toygun she kept under the counter for protection. One of her old weapons from her... former profession. "Have... a nice... day."

As the tourists left, Lilly grabbed her stress ball and squeezed it. And she kept squeezing it for a while.

It was idiots like him that had made her loose it to begin with. It was idiots like him that drew her nuts to the point that she decided that Molly the Dolly was going to be a name that would strike fear in the heart of everyone who had laughed at her. Having the appearance of a seven year old girl despite being a full grown woman was bad enough without morons reminding her of it.

"I better call Doc..." She said out loud as she took in a deep breath. "Make an appointment or something..."

She heard heard the door being opened and threw the ball away, then did her best to have a friendly face. "Hey, how can I-"

She dropped her jaw.

As a former super villain, she had seen many weird things. But two but-naked seven eyed half-parrot half-human creatures? That one took the cake.

"Greetings." One of the two creatures said as they entered the diner. "We am Gnak and Sodok."

"And we here to make big thing to help."

"We here to destroy stupid gravity!"

"Also, we please buy pie?"

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1068

@waezi2 said:

Also, a gold star if you can guess who Molly the Dolly is based on.

Oh, gee... Baby Doll maybe? ;)

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:
@waezi2 said:

Also, a gold star if you can guess who Molly the Dolly is based on.

Oh, gee... Baby Doll maybe? ;)

Well, look at you, Mr Smartypants:P

I missed writing her. When will DC realize that they should introduce her in the main universe?!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1068

@waezi2: lol. I liked the "Whoopsie Doopsie." Merry Christmas. :)

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Merry Christmas to you too. Hope you had a nice one.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#8 wildvine  Moderator

@waezi2: Without looking at the comments or reading the story I'm gonna say sheep. Final answer.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#10 wildvine  Moderator

@waezi2: Oh. "the dolly" I thought Dolly was the name.