User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By silverspidey

Ultimate Batman

‘The Return’

Part 4 of 4

No Caption Provided

Gotham - The Narrows

No Caption Provided

“Marge! MARGE!” shouts an older man. His aged brown eyes look to the dimly lit kitchen as he stands in front of the glowing television set in his red plaid robe.

“What is it Harry!” his wife responds, “I’m brewing us tea?”

“Never mind the tea Marge and get out here!” Harry insists, “The Mayor Hill is on, he’s going to talk about the lockdown.”

Hastily limping out the yellow tile kitchen, the elderly woman wrapped in her thick pink robe, Marge, makes her way out to the living, focusing her attention to the large TV showcasing a vacated podium with various microphones before it.

Arriving at the podium, decked in a blue suit and red tie, the haggard-looking Mayor stands on the podium as dozens of camera flashes erupt. Holding his hand up from the blinding flashes, the aged Mayor squints his blue eyes, “Okay people okay, let’s get to it so we can get to the questions.” He says as the photographer's endless flashes cease.

Holding a rolled-up document in his hand, the Mayor lays his paper flat on the dark wood podium while pulling out his slim glasses that he places over his eyes. Letting out a sigh, he grabs the document with one hand and begins reading.

“Okay…approximately at five o’clock this afternoon, Gotham City P.D. verified that the island situated in the middle of the Gotham River, located between Midtown and Downtown Gotham City known as ‘The Narrows’, was quartered off by an unknown militia group led by a man calling himself, Black Mask. At present, we believe he is acting alone and not in connection with any known terror group. However, Gotham City police are currently unable to reach ‘The Narrows’. All and any police on the Island are the only remaining forces fighting to keep order. Therefore, until this situation is resolved, we are enforcing an emergency citywide lock-down for the next twenty-four hours…”

Pausing momentarily, Mayor Hill raises his hand over his face as dozens of flashes erupt again.

“…people please please!” the Mayor sighs, “Let’s let me get through the statement first before I got blind.” He grumbles as the flashes cease. Clearing his throat, the Mayor cuts an aggravated glare to the reporters before returning his brown eyes to the document, “As I was saying…yes, lock-down for the next Twenty Four hours…” he mumbles, “…And We will be calling in the National Guard to deal with this threat." he states.

"Again..." continues the Mayor, "We would like to reassure all citizens of Gotham City that your security is our priority. We will not be intimidated by thugs, or abandon our city to thugs. We are taking back the Narrows tonight at all costs. We will prevail. We will win and we will not let you down. Now we open the floor to questions.”

“Mister Mayor! Mister Mayor!”

Pointing to one reporter the Mayor sighs tiredly, “Yes uh…Cat Grant Daily Planet.”

Standing up Cat Grant holds out her small voice recorder, “Who is the militia group and why do you think they came to Gotham?”

“WE cannot say.” The Mayor shrugs, “Bodies were found with no markings, no tags no identification, but they were armed and are considered highly trained and dangerous.” He responds before pointing out a raised hand, “Yes um…Alfred Cummings, Keystone Herald."

“Rumors are that this is a reaction from all the local Mafia after you and Commissioner Gordon campaigned after organized Crime six months ago, Do you think this is the case and would the Batman’s presence make any difference?”

“First of all, as I said, we cannot verify if this is FROM the organized mafia or anyone else, we believe not, but regardless, Batman hasn’t been seen in months. He was a vigilante. He is a zero factor.”

“But many say…”

“Go ahead an print Fake News, but don't put my name on it.” The mayor spits sharply and points to another Reporter, “You there, Vicky Vale Gotham Chronicle.”

“Yes Mayor, You said that the city is on a Citywide Lock-down for Twenty Four hours, why are you making the announcement and not the Commissioner? Where is he?”

Mayor Hill leans on the podium and lets out a sigh, “Because the Commissioner is currently leading a task force in The Narrows to maintain order until the National Guard arrives.”

Suddenly all the reporters begin to mumble to themselves as Vicky Vale looks at him with an arched blond eyebrow.

“Sir don’t you think that is more than risky…”

“No I don’t.” The Mayor curtly responds before pointing to another reporter, “You, Vic Sage, The Central City Times is it?”

“Yes.” He replies, “Question, is it true that Batman is back in the city? Rumors are that he is back?

“That’s all the questions we have for today thank you!” The Mayor says as he walks off the podium with a roar of questions erupting from all the reporters as the jump out the seats with a myriad of flashes from the photographers reflecting off the fleeing Mayor as security holds them all aback.

Briskly rushing out the room of flashing cameras, Mayor Hill storms through a small hallway with security guards lining the walls to a small kitchen area; The Mayor walks out to his administrative staff waiting as other politicians await him. Glaring at them, The Mayor rubs his eyes in frustration as one of his aides approaches him.

“Mister Mayor…”

“Get the car.” He mumbles under his breath.

“…you have a call.” His aide says, holding out his phone.

“I SAID GET THE CAR!” The Mayor shouts to her face, his face red and his eyes filled with anger.

“Yes sir.” She squeals, promptly leaving the phone on the metal counter and running down the hallway as all the aides scatter. Angrily grabbing the phone, Mayor Hill flips it open and answers the call.

“What the %$^& do you think you’re doing!” snaps The Mayor, storming down the hallway to the door as security follows behind him, “You said this would be quick!” he grumbles, pushing his way out the metal door and into the cold alleyway as thick snow falls from the sky, “I gave you five hours to get this done and now…”

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Maroni’s Palm Restaurant

No Caption Provided

Seated inside a long black SUV parked at the end of the block of Maroni's restaurant, Black Mask holds his cellphone to his ear, “Now now Mister Mayor, I suggest you SHUT UP and let me do my job." he growls.

"WE are in a contract and unless you want that contract to get in the hands of every single news outlet in the country…I suggest you take a Vicodin or whatever prescriptions you like these days and let me do what you paid me to do. Everything is going to plan.” Black Mask finishes.

~*~**~*~

In the dark alley of the restaurant, shivering at that, Mayor Hill waves off his Security who stands several feet away from him, out of earshot.

Black Mask threat causes Mayor Hill to grimaces and clenches his hand tight around his phone.

“And what about, The Batman!” The Mayor loudly whispers.

~*~*~

Black Mask glances out the window as two Ninjas walk into the restaurant with Nightwing over the shoulder of one and Robin being dragged by his cape inside the restaurant by another ninja.

“We got his flunkies, Batman though, he isn’t here.”

~*~*~*

Mayor Hill hunches over and grinds his teeth as he turns to the cold brick wall, “A reporter said there are RUMORS of him being in the city! How sure ARE YOU!”

~*~*~*

“AND SO WHAT IF HE IS?!" Black Mask shouts, "I DON’T CARE IF BATMAN IS IN YOUR BACKYARD SMOKING A JOINT! ALL YOU GOTTA WORRY ABOUT IS ME! BECAUSE IF YOU TALK TO HIM OR ANYONE ELSE BECAUSE YOU LOSE YOUR HEAD…YOU.WILL.LOSE.YOU’RE. HEAD! YOU GIT’ ME!”

~*~*~*~

Leaning on the wall, Mayor rests his hand on the wall and looks up to the night sky as thick snow falls on him and closes his eyes, “I should’ve never made this deal with you.”

~*~*~*

“Yeah and the hunter shoulda’ never shot Bambi’s mother but he did and the movie’s now a freakin’ legend. I’m gonna shoot this city for you Mister Mayor like we agreed AND you’re gonna clean it up! You’re gonna be a legend! And that story, will throw you into the Senate. You’ll be a hero. And when you got power, I mean REAL POWER, YOU WILL remember me for this because we all played our parts, because we all kept our secrets and because we didn’t lose our heads and make Black Mask worry so freakin’ much that he had to go start cutting off the heads and limps and fingers of your family like chop meat in a hunger strike – right? You wouldn’t make me have to do that all because…your worrying gets ‘me’ worried, right?”

~*~*~*~

Mayor Hill stands erect and gulps, wiping the nervous beads of sweat off his forehead as he closes his eyes and gathers his emotions, “Right right, no need for that, no need. I-I’m not worried, just, I didn’t expect that Batman question is all.”

~*~*~

Black Mask shakes his head, “You worry about keeping your mouth shut! I’ll worry about the Batman IF he’s back and I got that covered. Now I gotta go but DO NOT call me again! I’ll call you.” He says, hanging up his phone and opens the door.

~*~*~

Mayor Hill, lets out a cool breath and shakes his head, “Alright Robert, get the car ready.” He says, but as soon as he turns around, Mayor Hill’s eyes open wide at the sight of all his security detail sprawled out on the snowy pavement.

WHERE IS HE!” shouts a deep voice.

Mayor Hill jolts back and gasps at the sound of the deep voice. Looking around, Mayor Hill trembles with fear and cold gripping his body, “WHO’S THAT!” he screams.

Suddenly a black blur races past him before he’s suddenly grabbed firmly by the throat slammed him into the brick wall behind him and lifted easily off his feet!

“OH GAWD! OH GAWD DON’T KILL ME! PLEASE DON’T KILL ME!” The Mayor screams, clutching the muscled and armored wrist holding him as his eyes dilate with fear at the sight of Batman’s hollow white eyes glaring at him with gritted angry teeth and a poised balled-up fist with brass knuckles, ready to careen into his face.

“WHERE IS BLACK MASK!” Batman roars, “ANSWER ME!”

“YOU CAN'T DO THIS! I’M THE-“

A sudden lightning-fast punch across Mayor Hill’s face causes him to open his mouth in pain as he drops to the snowy concrete, dazed as pain radiates across the left side of his face to the top of his skull.

“AAhh gawwd.” The Mayor shouts, writhing in pain on the snowy pavement. Seeing Batman’s black boots stalk to him, The Mayor turns on his back to the shadowy figure towering over him.

“WHERE IS HE!? WHAT DEAL DID YOU MAKE WITH HIM?! TALK!”

“I DIDN’T DO ANYTHING YOU MANIAC!” The Mayor shouts.

Batman’s white eyes narrow at the Mayor's response, sending a shiver down his spine more than the cold.

“Wrong answer.” Batman grumbles and with a swift slash of his batarang, Batman cuts the weatherproof cable wire that’s stapled to the brick wall. Grabbing hold of it, Batman yanks the wire off the wall as it coils to the floor beside him.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!”

“Lives are being lost. Gotham is going to fall. And you’re here colluding with them. You’re going to tell me what you did right now.” growls Batman, grabbing a fist full of snow.

That mayor crawls on his back away from Batman, “YOU'RE CRAZY! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM! I'LL HAVE THE ENTIRE CITY HUNTING FOR YOU!" he shouts, but Batman simply throws the snowball on his chest while kicking more snow on him.

“OH I know who you are!” Batman growls before stomping his foot onto his chest, pinning him place as he strips the rubber off the cable wire and holds both wires in his hands with exposed copper wire tips, “You’re a corrupt spineless worm and right now, you’re wasting time while people die.”

“I’m NOT CORRUPT!”

“You’re nervous sweating, in 16 degrees mind you and no coat, speaks otherwise. It’s a sign your sweating in other places too along with the extra snow i threw on you…” Batman says while connecting the 't copper wires' to each other that briefly spark before pulling them away from each other, “…which makes you conductive.” he smirks.

The Mayor's eyes open wide as quarters, “WHA-WHAT ARE YOU DOING! YOU CAN’T DO THIS!”

“Then tell me: WHERE IS BLACK MASK! WHAT DEAL DID YOU MAKE?”

“I DON'T..."

Before the Mayor can finish, Batman kneels down to him with the wires sparking as they touch..

"oh gawd no no NAAAAAAH!!!"

~*~*~*~

Meanwhile….Marioni’s Palm Restaurant

Strutting into the dimly lit restaurant, Black Mask hardwood wingtips clack against the floor with every footstep he takes. Brushing off the snow on his shoulder, Black Mask immediately spots Fish Moony in a dark glittery form-fitting dress sits at the bar, glaring at him with cold eyes.

Running her hand through her short hair remains spiked, her looks over her shoulder to Sal Maroni decked in his dark suit and open white shirt as he holds an empty shot glass in his hand; to his left, Black Mask sees the white-haired and portly Rupert Throne in his tan suit and yellow shirt, seated on a cushiony red velvet chair with the aged Carmine Falcone, standing in front of them all in a black suit and silver gun in his hand.

“Hello all you happy people.” Black Mask exclaims, evidently smiling under his mask.

“You started a lot of trouble out there,” Falcone says, his voice even-toned and steady, but his grip on his gun firm.

“Told you we shoulda but a bullet in his brain.” Maroni sneers before gulping down his scotch, “He’s trouble!”

“Isn’t that what you’re mother said when you were born.” Fish Mooney grumbles under her breath, causing Maroni to glare at her with a twitching right eye.

“Enough you two.” Falcone orders before switching his cold gaze to Black Mask, “We have more important things to talk about, more so him.” He says, “You said you would bring the heat off of us, save our money, and get rid of Batman’s followers…”

“I did.” Black Mask says and gracefully steps to the side as two ninjas walk in behind him.

Immediately Fish Mooney and Rupert Falcone stand up from their seats in shock as both ninjas drop Nightwing and Robin to the black lacquered floor.

Fish Mooney slowly steps out of her seat as a hush falls in the room. Her eyes wide and fixed on the two masked heroes like a lioness glaring at a carcass of free meat. Nightwing lay on the floor in his black uniform with his blue emblem on his chest stretching down his arms to the two middle fingers of his hands and black mask over his eyes. She had never seen him up close. He was a pretty boy. Good thick hair. Sharp jawline. Muscular too. He seemed slim but then again, she only seen him once leaping off a rooftop, but now, there he be. He was bigger than she thought, what she wouldn’t do for a specimen like that.

Then there was Robin. He couldn’t be no taller than she. He was 5’6 at best. His green and red colors were all matted to absorb light. His cape was short too and he wasn’t nearly as muscular as Nightwing. No matter, he could be tortured, maybe she could have fun with the Nightwing before she put a bullet in his head.

“He did it.” Fish mumbles in disbelief, “He actually…did it.” She repeats more audibly before looking up at Maroni and Rupert Thorne who both stare at the two heroes in disbelief.

Falcone glances at the two bodies but returns his attention to Black Mask, “And the money?”

Black Mask extends his tablet to him, “All there. Five Hundred Million, divided of course, in five accounts under a Jane and John Doe. Passwords, account numbers all of it…on the tablet.”

“Good work.” Rupert Thorne exclaims, “Very good work.” he repeats, his voice gripped with sinister intent, “Just think of it, with their bodies found in the middle of a park, or washed up on a beach, the police will be…”

“They’re already scared.” Falcone interrupts, his eyes fixed on Black Mask, “He did it. He tore through police. Made them feel worthless. Which makes me ask, What happened to the Commissioner?”

“My people are out there looking for him now.” Black Mask replies, “Won’t be long.”

With a sudden clap of the hands, Rupert Thorne howls with glee, “YES! NOW THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!” he shouts, hastily making his way to the bar and pouring a glass of scotch, “THIS CALL FOR A CELEBRATION!”

“Indeed it does old man!” Fish smiles, “Pour me a glass!”

Maroni glances over to Falcone who makes contact with him as well. They both had the same idea in mind as they glare at Black Mask, still standing before him with two ninjas behind him.

“What do you want now?” Maroni asks with a sinister smile, “Somethin’ tells me you ain’t done yet.”

“I agree with my compatriot here.” Falcone nods, hearing Rupert and Fish pauses as they scramble to open another bottle, “Something tells me…” Falcone shakes his head at the sight of Nightwing and Robin’s body, “…that you aren’t done here.”

Maroni narrows his eyes as a soft chuckle could be heard from inside Black Mask’s skull mask. His laugh was full of confidence and egotism, similar to the Joker, just less…psychotic.

“Well Don Falcone…” Black Mask says, folding his arms, “…you are right, this isn’t all?”

“I really wish we killed you.” Maroni growls.

“Perhaps you should have.” Black Mask nods, “But the loss before would have been greater than now.”

“And what Loss are we facing this time Black Mask?” Falcone asks.

“You’re city.” Black Mask retorts, “Well…ownership.”

The thud of the bottle hitting the wood bar counter echoes as Black Mask looks to Fish Mooney glaring at him, “What do you mean by that?” she snaps.

“It means…” Falcone says, “…we are now, ‘owned’? is that right?” he asks Black Mask.

Black Mask nods, “Yes, oh but not by me…by the league of Assassins.”

Maroni arches his eyebrow, “The lager of what?”

“He said LEAGUE you big doofus!” Fish Mooney snaps.

Maroni grinds his teeth while clenching his fists, “I’d punch ya lights out right now if this wasn’t more important.” He grumbles.

“Let me know when you’re ready so I can take what’s left of your nuts.” Fish curtly replies.

“This is why the league is here.” Black Mask snaps, getting all their attention, “You’re disorganized for Organized crime, you have ample and fertile ground and you have done nothing with in the absence of Batman, so, we are here, to take what you cannot control.”

“And what if I say no.” Maroni growls, taking a step closer to Black Mask, “What if I say ‘we’ ain’t gonna let that happen. What if I say, I’m gonna put a bullet in ya head before ya even get close to thinkin’ any more than you are.”

“Then I’d say…” Black Mask says but gently places his hands on both side of his mask and slowly lifts up his mask to reveal his scarred face and cloudy white eyes.

“Oh gawd…” Maroni gasps in disgust at the sight of his disfigured face.

“…try your best.” Black Mask grins.

Suddenly all the lights turn off, leaving everyone in complete darkness as glass shatters overhead.

“WHAT HAPPENED!!”

“BLACK MASK WHAT IS THIS!”

Within moments the lights cut back on with Batman crouched on the floor between Robin and Nightwing who still remain unconscious and sprawled out on the black lacquered floor. Everyone remains paralyzed with fear as Batman remains still, glaring up at Black Mask while Fish Mooney, Maroni, Thorpe and Falcone stand behind him, petrified.

“Oh ga-gawd.” Maroni gasps in fear.

Motionless, Batman’s remains crouched on the floor but narrows his hollow white eyes at the sight of the ninja’s behind Black Mask, slowly unsheathing their swords.

“KILL HIM!” Black Mask shouts.

Batman’s springs off his feet and bashes Black Mask across the face with his spiked forearm while fluidly swinging him away and kicking one ninja’s across the face with a sweeping kick as another ducks under his leg.

“EVERYONE CLEAR OUT!” Rupert Thorne shouts as Fish Mooney,

Flinging Black Mask onto a table like a rag-dog, Batman turns his attention to the second ninja and charges at him with brute force and anger. Swiftly ducking to his head left and right, Batman watches the sharp blade narrowly miss his head as he jolts back and begins blocking every slash of the silvery blur blade with his armored boot and spiked wrists as sparks erupt from each blow.

Defending himself from the Ninja attacks, Batman remains in place as the ninja seems to dance around him with sword slashes, quick kicks and missed jabs until Batman sees his waited opportunity, the sword thrust. Seeing the silver sword thrust at him, Batman quickly side steps that attack and stomps his reinforced heel into the ninja’s instep! Hearing the high pitched scream of the ninja, Batman turns around while grabbing his arm holding the sword, rams his armored cowl into the ninja’ face and forcibly swings him around, driving his face into the wall!

Seeing the ninja drop to the floor like a sack of bricks, Batman turns around to see everyone gone except Nightwing and Robin still on the floor. Racing to them, Batman crouches over them and looks at them both.

“Nightwing! Robin!” Batman calls out, but as he turns them over, he notices Nightwing’s unusually pale face beginning to sweat. Peeling off his mask, Batman opens Dick’s eyelids and sees his irises contracted to size of pin-holes. He was drugged, no poisoned.

Looking over at Robin on the floor, he quickly peels off his mask and looks at his eyes, and sees they are normal as Robin starts to groan as he rouses back to consciousness.

“They really tried.”

Batman turns around, whipping out a black batarang, ready to throw but pauses at the sight of a woman in a green outfit while wearing an off-white colored cat-mask with a drawn in smile, standing at the door.

“Chesire!” he growls.

Lifting her mask, the beautiful femme fatale stoic eyes remain locked onto Batman and nods, “It is I.”

“What did you do to them?” growls Batman.

“I poisoned one and cured the other.” Cheshire states, “Dick…”

Batman narrows his eyes at the sound of hearing Nightwings real name aloud.

“…has been poisoned with an ancient toxin, and Tim…”

*She knows their identities* Batman thinks, *How? Ra’s! Only he could do this.*

“…lies the cure, he shall be unharmed but, it is also a diuretic. Therefore, you have an hour to synthesize the antidote from Tim’s blood protégé before he as the saying goes, ‘pisses it all away’.”

“Why are you doing this!” Batman snarls, slowly rising to his feet, “Why are you here in Gotham?!”

“The League of Assassins brings Balance to Chaos.” Cheshire states, “Gotham is falling into chaos.”

“Don’t delude yourself into thinking you’re Ra’s.”

“Oh I’m not. I am Cheshire, the Hand of Testing for the Great Lord Ra’s Al Ghul and he has tested your…” Cheshire lowers her eyes to Nightwing and Robin on the floor and shakes her head, “…protégé’s.” she says distastefully before returning her gaze to Batman, “And they are significantly inferior to ever replace you or assist in what lies ahead.”

“What do you mean what’s ‘lies ahead’? WHAT GAME DO YOU THINK YOU’RE PLAYING!?”

“There is a war coming Batman.” Cheshire states, “One that you are not ready for and clearly neither are you’re protégé’s. Ra’s is aiding you to keep ‘Order’ and ‘Justice’ while providing training. For this you should be thankful. He would not do so if he did not respect you as an equal.”

“Ra’s sense of ‘order’ and ‘justice’ is blatant murder and slaughter. I will not allow that in Gotham and I do not need any ‘training’ from him.” Batman snarls.

Chesire smiles, “Ra’s said you would say that. Therefore, if you will not accept his assistance, you must prove yourself worthy of being Gotham’s Dark Knight or the League shall make Gotham its formal Headquarters.”

“That is not happening.”

“Oh it shall…” Cheshire states, “…for this was a stress test on your protégé’s. We expected your return but, not today. However the benefit is all the same, if we want too, Gotham can be ours, but more importantly you can see your protégé’s are inferior and they must have training as do you.”

“I don’t need training and I don’t NEED you!”

“We set Black Mask loose in the city under a pretense he believes to be true. It will though, if left uncheck, commence a Gang War that will cripple this city, unless you can stop him. This is your test.”

“I’m not playing your game.”

“Refuse to play and the League shall promptly assassinate Alfred Pennyworth, Tim Drake and Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon in your home and force you to watch.” Cheshire smiles, watching Batman narrow his eyes.

“Leave them out of this.” Batman snarls.

“Ra’s order is everyone must be tested for what is coming. If you cannot surmount the present storm you will not survive the coming Hurricane.” Chesire states, “And if anyone knows about testing it should be you, isn’t that why you left? To see what you are made of in the aftermath of the death of your foe?”

“Shut up.” growls Batman.

“Joker’s death was unfortunate, but any warrior who leaves his post to meditate in the field must be tested by rivals if he is to survive the unknown not just physically, but mentally. What shall be done, shall be done Batman. Huntress failed her test…”

Batman’s eyes open wide in shock.

“…so prove yourself worthy for what is to come.” Cheshire says as she turns to the door, “And if need be, shed the weight that binds you.” She says before pushing past the door as the cold evening snowy wind gusts inside.

Grinding his teeth in anger, Batman motions to the door but looks down at Robin and Nightwing on the floor behind him as Robin starts rousing awake.

Seeing Robin’s eyes flutter open, Batman lets out a cool sigh as Robin eye’s open wide at the sight of him, “I knew you’d come back.” He mumbles with a weak smirk as Batman kneels down and covers his eyes, “I knew it.”

~*~*~*~

Much later….

Fluttering his eyes open, Dick Grayson blue eyes open and focus on the bright florescent lights over his head. Hearing typing echoing, Dick draws in a deep breath and feels the moist air fill his lungs. The moist yet well-ventilated space causes his sinuses to open. The scent of moist rock and water become all too familiar. He was back in the cave.

No Caption Provided

Immediately sitting erect, Dick knocks his head into the warm lamp.

“OUCH!” he groans, clutching his forehead.

“Oh dear Master Grayson please be careful…” Alfred admonishes, rushing to his side, “…your body has been quite taxed.” He says, gently yet firmly grabbing by his shoulder.

Dick Grayson’ looks past the strands of his black hair hanging over his eyes as the aged and loyal friend Alfred Pennyworth, stands beside in his black tux, pulling him back to lay down on his medical cot.

“Wha…” Dick groans, holding his head as he lays flat on the cot as Alfred turns off the light, “…what happened?” he asks.

"The League of Assassins took the Narrows but he returned." Alfred says, nodding over with a smile, shifting his attention to the far distance as a soft blue glow reflects on them both.

Dick looks in the direction Alfred looks at and sees Batman standing in front of the massive computer screen, typing on the large keyboard.

Dick’s blue eyes open wide in shock, “Bruce?” he says in disbelief. Bruce was different. Same man but then again, not. He was trimmer. Less muscle, but he seemed, stronger but more… hardened.

“Afterward he brought you back to the cave, you were poisoned.”

Dick turns back to Alfred, “How long was I out?”

“Three days.”

Dick blinks and stares at Alfred, “THREE DAYS! But-how? I don’t…”

“You’re not going to remember.”

Dick turns around to see the large screen monitor turn off as Bruce swivels in his large high arching chair, still dressed in his grey batsuit with its black Bat-symbol across his chest while his cowl remains hung behind him like a hood.

“Cheshire dosed with you a power neuro-toxin. It affects the short-term memory.” Bruce says as he stands up from the chair, “It was primarily designed to eat away at your muscle-tone and cognitive capabilities. Your body went through a lot.”

“What are you talking about?” Dick says, “I feel fine. I just…feel groggy.”

Making his way down the steps, Bruce looks at Dick as he pulls off his gloves but stands afar from him, “Dick, you were careless.”

“CARELESS!”

“Yes. And Cheshire dosed you with enough venom to sideline you for two months easy.”

“I am NOT side-lined and I WASN’T CARELESS!” Dick roars as he sits up in the cot as Alfred reaches out from him but Dick glares at him, “LET ME GO ALFRED!” he snaps.

Batman folds his arms as Dick pushes himself off the cot. Standing up, Dick glares at Bruce but suddenly feels his knees wobble, his head become light and his hands tremble.

“Oh my gawd.” Dick gasps as he suddenly collapses to the floor.

“Master Dick!” Alfred exclaims, rushing over to him but Bruce holds out his hand, making Alfred stop.

“Master Bruce…”

“No Alfred!” Bruce snaps, his voice echoing out through the cave as he keeps his eyes on Dick struggling to hold himself up by his arms, “I want you to understand something Dick. You were an excellent Robin, perhaps the best…”

Dick eyes well up with tears as he grinds his teeth.

“…but you will not be Nightwing. Not for now at least. It’s too dangerous. Black Mask forces are the League of Shadows and for now, they’re in Gotham.” Bruce says, “The League gave up the Narrows contrary to public belief, but they are still active. Commissioner Gordon is back at work but burnt out, Bullock is in recovery. Police are stressed, the Mayor is corrupt and colluding with Black Mask who is about to start a Gang War."

"We have to get to work then!" Dick says but Bruce folds his arm, "I do, not you, you’re going to concentrate on your health. Then, get back into shape, then train. After some time, if you reach my standards, you’ll be back out there, but not like this. It’s too dangerous.”

Saying nothing, Dick keeps his face focused to the floor as tears fall from his face to the cold stone floor, "You can't stop me."

“I can. I will.” Bruce states firmly, before walking past Alfred who quickly races to him, "I'm sorry Dick, it has to be this way."

“SORRY? SORRY FOR WHAT!”

Bruce pulls on his cowl and raises his hand over the floor and a small pillar rises up displaying holographic batmobiles. Selecting which he will use, Batman looks over his shoulder as Alfred helps Dick onto his feet while he grabs onto the cot to steady himself.

“What exactly are you sorry for Bruce?! For leaving us without a word, for throwing Tim, ME and Barbara into the field all because you took a leave of absence because your best friend died? WHAT ARE YOU SORRY FOR!!”

“HE WAS NOT MY FRIEND DICK!” Batman hollers.

“THAN WHY ELSE DID YOU LEAVE WHEN JOKER DIED!” Dick shouts, “HUH? Do you know the misery we were in having to keep this city together without you! SIX MONTHS! NIGHT AFTER NIGHT wondering, HOPING you weren’t DEAD or WORSE and meanwhile…HERE WE ARE CARRYING ON YOUR LEGACY WITHOUT QUESTION! AND THAN, WHEN YOU DO COME BACK, YOU DON’T SAY THANKS YOU DON’T SAY ‘JOB WELL DONE’, NO YOU TELL ME I WAS CARELESS AND SPIT IN MY FACE ABOUT WHAT WE DID! No…NO! I am DONE taking orders from you and helping you…I WORK ALONE FROM NOW ON!”

“You do what you want on your own volition. You decided that when you stepped out the Robin mantle, but make no mistake about it, ” Batman states, pointing to the far distance, “…IN MY CITY you are MY responsibility whether you like or it not!"

"BULLCRAP!"

"And right now…yes…I’m saying you were careless. It’s not your fault. It’s not a sin, it’s a fact! One you better come to terms with because we have the League of Assassins in GOTHAM and BLACK MASK somewhere out there and they have the upper hand. And you cannot bring your best right now so don’t try.”

“So you decide what I do now is that it?” Dick spits, “My time, my work…all of it just spit at as soon as you come back.”

“When you get yourself poisoned and Renee Montoya, Huntress and Twenty two cops all die on you and Robin’s watch in ONE NIGHT…YES it does become my call. You’re done!” Batman snaps, “Til I say otherwise, you don’t suit up!”

“YOU DON’T HAVE THE…”

“I HAVE EVERY RIGHT!” Batman hollers at the top of his lungs, making Dick and Alfred jolt back as he points at the glass case on the far right, “Look at it.”

Dick lowers his head, “Bruce…”

“LOOK AT IT!”

Dick clenches his jaw and looks at the glass case holding a tattered Robin costume on a glass mannequin.

“No one who leaves this cave, dies because of my negligence.” Batman states, “Now get some rest. I’m going to run down some leads.”

“At least take Tim! He’s a good Robin!” Dick snaps, watching Bruce walk down the stairs to the batmobiles.

“He’s not Robin anymore.” Batman snaps over his shoulder to Dick whose wide eyed surprise makes his jaw drop as Batman hops cockpit of the batmobile that’s drenched in red light.

Watching the top of cockpit slide over Batman and close, Dick watches the Batmobile roar to life as the floor underneath slowly turns about like a turntable, and positions the Batmobile to the long concrete path leading out the cave. With a deafening roar, the flaming turbine explodes with power, launching the Batmobile away at great speed and out the cave.

Dick simple remains by the cot, staring at the trail of smoke leaving the cave from the Batmobile, “Alfred, what in heavens’ name happened to him?”

“I don’t know.”

~*~*~*~

Elsewhere….

Crawling inside a darkened apartment through a window, a shapely woman in a black skin-tight costume gracefully hops into the apartment, brushing off the snow from her shoulders and quickly shuts the window behind her.

“Catwoman, Catwoman, Catwoman…”

Catwoman, decked in her black skin-tight outfit with cat-eye goggles over her eyes, immediately turns around towards the voice, reaching for her bullwhip but hears the ‘click’ of a gun echo in the room, making her freeze as the lights cut on.

“…never thought I’d see you again.”

Catwoman grinds her teeth as she looks across her room to see a figure decked in armored pants, thick boots, a leather jacket, and a bright red helmet completely covering his face as he holds a gun to her head.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure.” Catwoman smirks, “Care to introduce yourself before I throw you out the window?”

“Mmmm…so hostile…” the figure says jokingly as he struts towards her with the gun aimed at her head, “…is that how you treat all men in red hoods? Or do you have a soft spot for bat men?”

Catwoman arches her eyebrow as the figure places the edge of the barrel to her temple.

“It’s okay…you can tell me.”

~*~*~*~

Gotham Bus Depot

No Caption Provided

"ALL ABOARD FOR STARLING CITY!" shouts the Bus driver to the line of passengers seated at an outside bench.

"Everyone have your tickets and State I.D. please, thank you!"

Stepping up to the bus, The Driver looks at the young man in jeans, a leather jacket and a worn baseball hat with a yellow 'R' logo, shivering.

"Name and where to, boy?"

"Tim Drake. Headed to Starling City." Tim replies, cupping his hands around his while breathing warm air into them.

Nodding at him, the Driver punches a hole in his paper ticket and hands it back, "Aright next! Name and where to sir?"

~*~*~*~

Elsewhere…Mayor’s Home - Palisades

No Caption Provided

Inside the long kitchen, Mayor Hill stands up against the wall beside the kitchen door that leads to the yard. His face sweated, his eyes open wide, his eyes remained open wide with fear as Black Mask holds a bloodied knife in his hand, “Now…I hope we have a clearer understanding.” He says, wiping the blood off the blade with a towel as he walks by him to the kitchen door, “I don’t want Falcone paying you anything anymore.” He says.

Opening the door, Black Mask looks to the Mayor’ who’s eyes are open wide and fixed to his dead wife on the black and white tile floor, “And I hope I don’t have to remind again what to do the next time Batman rears his ugly face. It’s a killer to make these visits.” He says before exiting walk through the door and closing it behind him.

*~*~*~*~

Elsewhere...Broadway Penthouses - Gotham City

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Strutting in his gold silk robe, Sal Maroni sucks his teeth as he runs his hand over his smooth head. Still dripping from this hot shower, Maroni makes his way over to his bed and picks up the phone, "Alright Louie, tell Frank ta' switch wit' ya. He'll be takin' the night shift." he says, hanging up the phone.

Sliding open his draw, Sal pulls out a small revolver and checks to ensure he has bullets.

Nodding with confidence, Sal stuffs his pistol under his pillow, "Hey yo Sandy! Ya comin' ta bed? I wanna warm dings up a bit before get some sleep." he shouts.

However as Sal undoes his robe, wearing nothing but black silk boxers, Sal hears nothing in the living room.

Letting out an aggravated sigh, Sal shakes his head, "Where da' heck is dis' dumb broad." he mumbles before getting up and storming out the room, "HEY YO SANDY!" he shouts, but suddenly, seeing the living room dark, Sal see's no one inside the living room, only a glass of red wine spilled on his white couch.

Suddenly the lights in the entire apartment cut off.

"oh crap."

Gritting his teeth, Sal turns back to the bedroom to get his gun, but is suddenly punched across the face, and sent reeling to the floor. Grinding his teeth in pain, he feels a firm grip grab his foot.

Looking over his shoulder, Sal sees the shadowy figure of Batman dragging him along the floor towards the tall ceiling-to-floor windows in his bedroom.

"SAL MARONI!" Batman snarls, "WE'RE GONNA TALK!"

"LET ME GO! YOU CAN'T DO THIS! I GOT RIGHTS!"

Batman drops his foot, turns around and punches Sal across the face while flinging a batarang to the window with his free-hand, shattering the glass behind him.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!" Maroni shouts in fear as frigid cold air gusts into the bedroom.

Batman narrow's his hollow white eyes at Sal Marrno and grabs him by the neck and lifts his tubby body off the floor, pushing him right to edge of window with glass shards stabbing the sole of his feet as howling cold wind numbs his entire body.

"YOU CAN'T DO THIS! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" Sal shouts in a full blown panic, "BATMAN DON'T KILL! EVERYONE KNOWS YOU DON'T KILL!"

"Really?" Batman snarls, "I DON'T?!" he hollers in his face before and swiftly kicking Maroni out the window.

Hearing him scream at the top of his lungs, Batman callously watches Maroni plummet down 50 stories to his death before shooting out a grappling hook that magnetically latches onto the coil Batman sneakily wrapped around his ankle when he dragged him.

Retracting Maroni back up the side of the building, Batman angrily crouches down over the edge of the window, hearing the guards trying to kick in the front door that is now conveniently bolted with a military grade magnet lock.

Batman glares at Maroni crying and screaming at the top of his lungs as he hangs upside down by the grappling hook he affixes to the side of the building.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!" Maroni shouts, "YOU'RE CRAZY YOU KNOW THAT! YOU'RE PSYCHO! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE! YOU'RE -"

"WHAT AM I MARONI? YOU TELL ME?" Batman hollers, "People think I'm obsessed, that this is an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act like this. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it, but tonight, isn't that night. And tomorrow won't be either..."

"OH GAWD LET ME DOWN!!! "

"QUIET!" Batman angrily hollers while pulling out a sharp batarang and placing it on the tight black rope of the grappling hook. Maroni's eyes open wide as watches Batman slice into the thick rope with the batarang.

'OH MY GAWD!"

"I want you to remember this moment Maroni, this EXACT MOMENT. Remember this when you're with your family, with your hookers, when your looking at your criminal empire with pride, when your alone in the middle of the night unsleeping in the dark because i can come at any time i want! Remember -- every breath you take from now on you owe to me. The days of feasting on Gotham's wealth, corrupting its spirit, spilling its blood AND MY PEOPLE ARE OVER! From this moment on - I have declared it OPEN SEASON on all of you, so take my advice. RUN. If you don't...this fraying rope will be the least of your problems."

Maroni's eyes open wide as the black rope splits and frays as Batman dives out the window, 'SOMEONE HEEEEEEELP!" Maroni screams as the rope suddenly snaps!

"HAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!" He shrieks as his men dive out the window and grab the rope in the nick of time!

"WE GOT YOU BOSS WE GOT YOU!" his security guards shout, grinding their teeth as they hold the rope with Maroni passed out and urinating on himself with Batman no where in sight.

End

Coming Soon - ARC II - The Cold War

silverspidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0