Time Share: The Time Phantom Interview, Part 1

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 1st BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #47!

DateTime Share: The Time Phantom InterviewViewRead the...
01/20/17Part 1(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer

This story was inspired by the beautiful paintings of Andreas Englund, shown throughout.

RatingRating Explanation
MMild cursing, talk about drug use and addiction.

Cameras aren't usually allowed at these meetings, so we've obscured the faces of those in attendance. An old man in a sky blue costume with a white skull emblazoned on the chest approaches the podium. The brown leather boots, briefs, and gun belt finish the costume, complete with the sidearm, which doesn't seem to make anyone uncomfortable.

My wife came back from the dead. Sort of.
My wife came back from the dead. Sort of.

He seems to steady himself by holding onto the podium, and looks at the group only a moment before saying, "Hi. My name is John Phantom, and I'm an addict."

"Hi, John," responds the group of about twenty people.

"I've been clean for thirty-five years, four months, and..." he stops to figure. "And nineteen days." The group applauds his accomplishment. "This past week has been an especially bad one." His head drops mournfully, followed by his eyes closing, and his lips drawing in as he remembers his pain. "My wife came back from the dead," he says to audible gasps from the group. "Sort of," he adds as he looks at the ceiling.

No, my real name's not 'John Phantom.'...
No, my real name's not 'John Phantom.'...

The scene switches to a private room where the old man sits at a table, still in costume, and smoking a cigarette. "No, my real name's not 'John Phantom.' Don't be ridiculous! My sponsor said that attending as 'Time Phantom' was 'hiding from who I was,' but I couldn't reveal my real name due to my enemies. Plus the group kind of felt silly saying, 'Hi, Time Phantom,' every time I spoke. So 'John Phantom' was the compromise. My identity is protected, and they get to not feel silly." The old hero shrugs. "What the hell? We all did some stupid, embarrassing sh[eep]t while we were using. What's 'John Phantom' between anonymous friends?" he chuckles ruefully. Then he takes a long drag on his cigarette, savors it, and blows it out through his nostrils while still looking at the interviewer off camera. "You know I hardly even touch these things anymore either?" he asks, then looks at the cigarette. "But like I said, it's been a bad week."

The camera switches back to the meeting where "John's" story continues. "I became the Time Phantom when I was eighteen. It's a legacy that goes back a little over two thousand years. 'The Ghost Who Walks Through Time' they call me, and it came with a long list of enemies trying to kill me... or kill me 'again,' in some cases. The 'immortal hero' story was easier to keep going before cameras and video." The group laughs lightly, and John smiles with them. "At any rate, I am one in a very long line of Time Phantoms, but all those crazy bast[eep]s wanting me dead just for continuing a costumed tradition? It was a lot for a stupid teenager like me. That... and the flying," he says with a shrug and an eyeroll.

Sure... the girls. All of that was nice...
Sure... the girls. All of that was nice...

"Who'd believe it, right? A hero that can fly, but is afraid of heights." The group laughed again. "Sure, the time travel, the other powers, the fame... and the girls," he says, pursing his lips at what is clearly a fond memory. "All of that was nice," he says with a nod, "but man, I hated flying. So whenever I could avoid it, I did. That's why I had the car," he says with a little gusto. Then his eyes go haunted as he looks at nothing in particular in the room, and somewhat weakly, he says, "That damned stupid car."

Back in the private room, the hero is still smoking. He says, "Oh, I loved that car.... then. If it hadn't been for that car, I might have never met her," he says with an endearing smile. Then his eyes go just as haunted as in the meeting, he takes a quick puff on the cigarette, and quietly adds, "Maybe that would have been for the best."

Rollergirl was amazing. Pure beauty...
Rollergirl was amazing. Pure beauty...

At the podium, John says, "Rollergirl was amazing. Pure beauty from her dyed blonde hair to the wheels on her skates. From that first time I caught her when she she was knocked off her feet by The Hitman, I knew that I had to be with her. She wasn't as impressed with me, but luckily, I had the car. She loved muscle cars- that's how she got around when she wasn't on skates- and my car had more muscle than any other out there."

Life showed back in his eyes as he described it. "Motoronium engine with nitrosium fuel cells. Flight and submersible capabilities. A loud, guttural roar when I put my foot in the gas. Badass chain guns that folded out of the sides when I needed the firepower. And a sweet, cherry paint job." He smiled a little as he remembered it. "We went on many a date in that car, and even raced each other when we had the time. We married eventually, and it wasn't long before our angel was on her way. We named her Clementine, just like her mom." Pride shown on his face, and there was a little twinkle in his eye that may have been a tear.

At the table, the tears were more obvious. He said nothing, staring at the wall as he recalled his losses.

So I started using to calm my nerves...
So I started using to calm my nerves...

"Rollergirl retired when she had our little girl, and I was all for it, but I kept in the fight. Twenty-one years old, trying to balance saving the world, being married with a kid, not liking to fly, and supervillains trying to kill me. So I started using to calm my nerves- took my first hit from some pills I took off a dealer I busted. I figured I was super strong and invulnerable- it wouldn't bother me, right? I just needed to take the edge off." He shakes his head ruefully at the thought.

Next Issue: Time Share: The Time Phantom Interview, Part 2.-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #47.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:

Time Phantom was used with Time_Phantom's permission. The Hitman was used with TommytheHitman's permission. Bump In the Night is based on my own alt BumpInTheNight.

Characters:
  • Clementine (I) (Rollergirl)
  • Clementine (II) (daughter)
  • The Hitman
  • John Phantom (Time Phantom; The Ghost Who Walks Through Time)
  • unnamed dealer
  • unnamed interviewer
Objects:
  • Motoronium
  • Nitrosium
  • Rollergirl's car
  • Rollergirl's skates
  • Time Phantom's car
Teams:
  • Time Phantom Legacy
Picture Credits:
Pictures by:Credit:
Andreas Englund:

This story was inspired by the beautiful paintings ofAndreas Englund. Paintings used with permission. There are a few times that I used the close-ups rather than the full painting, because it worked well with the story. Check out Andreas Englund's site!

Time Phantom, Clementine/Rollergirl, Clementine II, Clementine III, The Three Kings, and Sky Phantom were all created based off of what I saw in paintings of the "aging superhero," by Andreas Englund. The character names are mine, but the paintings are his.

"My wife came back from the dead. Sort of."

"Looking Right," by Andreas Englund.

"No, my real name's not 'John Phantom.'...

"Smoking," by Andreas Englund.

"Sure... the girls. All of that was nice..."

"Paparazzi," by Andreas Englund.

"Rollergirl was amazing. Pure beauty..."

"Rollergirl," by Andreas Englund.

"So I started using to calm my nerves..."

"Addiction," by Andreas Englund.

.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #163

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

The Origins Behind the Origins (or how some of these characters got their names):

Time Phantom (John Phantom; The Ghost Who Walks Through Time)

CCC 47's challenge was to take another CV'er's screen name, and turn it into an OC for a story. When I saw the paintings of Andreas Englund, that the hero looked somewhat like The Phantom, and that there were older and younger versions, I thought of a hero that time travel. So, I asked Time_Phantom's permission to use his name, because it seemed just perfect. He gave permission, and away I went. He has also given permission for me to continue using the name for this character.

TP is modeled after Lee Falk's Phantom, and the Phantom is AKA The Ghost Who Walks, so with much love, I made Time Phantom's alias The Ghost Who Walks Through Time.

As stated in the story, "John Phantom" isn't his actual name- it was a compromise made for the anonymous meetings he goes to.

Over the course of the story, we find that Time Phantom can fly, has super strength, can time travel, is impervious, carries a handgun, and drives a super car. Unfortunately, he also has a drug addiction.

Hitman, The

I asked TommytheHitman's permission to use his name, and that's where The Hitman came from. Since I didn't call him Tommy, I suppose this is generic enough to leave it there.

Clementine [I] (Rollergirl), and Clementine [II] (daughter)

Both wife and daughter were named Clementine after Englund's painting Bad Clementine. The wife's alias is Rollergirl because of the painting Rollergirl. She likes muscle cars and they have a daughter because of the painting Street Games, Curbits, Darlings, Wheelie, and Playground.

Motoronium & Nitrosium

Derived from "motor" and "Nitrous," obviously. I'm not completely happy with those names, but I didn't have time to get stuck thinking of something cooler, so I just went with those. They've grown on me some though, because they have the benefit of implying what they're for, and what they do.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading. :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added "Origins Behind the Origins."