The Fire Within

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By johnjo719

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the Avatar, the Legend of Korra, or their universe. This is a work of fan fiction and the only characters I own are the ones I created.

Deep into the Fire Nation countryside, an old man sat in his courtyard on his cushioned mat, legs crossed. He had a cup of tea in his hand and his eyes were closed. His long, white beard hung all the way down to his belly button. For a man of his age, he was in good shape. As a matter of fact, he was in good shape for a man 20 years his junior. As he sat and meditated, steam rose from his cup of tea. Soon, the scent of tea filled the entire courtyard. The man was the very picture of a peaceful old man. Many of the local townspeople thought he was some retired businessman from Republic city, or some well of noble related to the Fire Lord. No one guessed at what he really was.

As he sat there, a streak of fire blazed across the courtyard heading towards him. Without even bothering to move from his seated position, he sipped from his tea, and he exhaled. As soon as he did, fire hot enough to melt the stones in his courtyard spilled out from his mouth and met with the flames that threatened him.

His assailant however, had anticipated the failure of his first attack and so he had dashed forward and hurled himself into the air and brought his feet down in a sweeping arc, and a bright flame manifested at his heel and jetted out towards the old man.

The old man threw his cup into the air with his left and used the same hand to bat the stream of flames away. With his right, two fingers extended, he manifested flames in front of him.

His opponent hurriedly adjusted his plan of attack and swung his leg around so that he landed in front of his target, one foot extended one bent. With barely a second's pause he sprinted the last few feet towards the old man and threw a punch with devastating force behind it.

The old man chuckled as his assailant's fist stopped just short of his face. His two fingers had found their way to his throat and was only awaiting his command to release the flames they manifested so easily.

"You are still too loud, Jinn." The old man said amicably. "As long as I can hear your attack coming, I will always defeat you."

"True, but how quiet would one have to be to sneak up on the Young Dragon?" Jinn replied, lowering his fist and sitting in the same position as his former teacher and master. "Although, I'm not sure how well the 'young' part of your moniker fits anymore."

The old man chuckles at his former apprentice's joke at his expense. "I may be getting on in years boy, but remember the most dangerous type of assassin is one that is still alive."

Jinn bows his head in acknowledgment. He remembers well the lessons he was taught and how painful they could be. He had many years yet before he could pose a threat to his master.

"Not that I don't enjoy reminding former pupils of mine of their place in this world, but why have you come to see me, all the way out here?" The old man asked.

"I've been sent to kill you." Jinn replies simply. After he delivers that short and simple statement, the old man doesn't speak for several long moments. He sips his tea and closes his eyes as he let's the passing breeze brush against his face. A nearby bird chirps and the sound of leaves rustling is heard.

"I see. So that time has finally come." The old man said just as simply as his pupil had stated his purpose.

"Yes. My father has decided to move against you."

MEANWHILE IN CAPITAL CITY

The room was dark with only a few candles to light the large space. Ridiculous really, when you considered the remarkable availability of electricity and the lanterns it powered these days. But, the dimness provided a grim atmosphere, which suited the nature of the meeting that would be taking place in just a few minutes.

Rei looked around the room at his fellow conspirators and he was pleased to count his brother, his wife and his daughter among them. It was yet to be seen if his son could be trusted.

Other than his family members, there were a few lieutenants from the nation's military and only one General. However, they were all dedicated to the cause.

A certain amount of time passed and everyone in the room began to look toward Rei, their fearless leader, to start the meeting.

"Friends, Citizens of our Great Fire Nation, the time is nigh for the culmination of all our goals and plans. If everything goes according to plan, we should have a new Fire Lord very soon." Rei began.

He paused to look around the room. Some of his people looked...joyful. But most, the smart ones, looked somber. The road ahead was a tough one and they knew most of their compatriots would die in the upcoming struggles.

"General Rufus Li, how goes the campaign?" Rei asked.

"Wonderfully. Many of the people are talking about how different criminal organizations are running loose through out the country. Perhaps more importantly are the nobles, and they are highly upset with the new Fire Lord. They think he's weak and has no edge or control over his citizens. 'Something must be done' they say." The General reported.

"Excellent. Keep fanning the flames of dissent. Our new Fire Lord is weak." Rei began in disgust. "He must be removed and replaced."

"The Fire Lord still has his Wrath." A voice spoke out. The voice belonged to another of his key allies, so he let the interruption slide...this time.

"He may be getting old, but the Young Dragon is still very much a threat."

"Are you still going on about that old fool, Jet?" Rei snarled. "Ryuu has been a thorn in our side yes, but it's time the Young Dragon was slain. We have someone working on this as we speak."

MEANWHILE IN THE COUNTRY SIDE, A FEW MILES FROM RYUU'S HOME.

Fire Lord Roku was not pleased. He listened intently as one of his lieutenants reported to him. He had hoped he could spend his vacation time uninterrupted by talk of rebellion but it turned out that hope was unfounded. As he knew it would be.

"A few of the nobility have been grumbling, but none have joined up yet. Only one General has betrayed us."

Roku nodded his head and stayed silent behind his wall of flames. The heat helped him to concentrate. The growing criminal element was becoming an increasing problem, one he had to solve soon. Something he had to fix before he finished off the rebels.

"The Brotherhood has served me well on this day." Roku praised. "Continue your good service and bring me the head of the Fire Nation's Cabal." He ordered. He knew it would be a difficult task, but he was sure his men could handle it. It was what they were trained for after all.

"Yes my Lord." His lieutenant said. He rose and quickly exited the Fire Lord's chambers.

The next year was going to be an interesting one in the Fire Nation, Roku sensed. The heat of the flames seemed to double then triple. From the flames he thought he saw something....a vision. An aging Dragon burned alive, and from its flaming corpse, a new, more powerful dragon emerged.

(Side note: this story is set many years after Korra, let's say 50 years. So they have more tech like telephones and commercial and passenger flights, but no cellphones and computers yet. That's the era we're in right now.)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#2  Edited By cbishop

@johnjo719: I'll read this tonight, if work isn't busy. Have to go to bed now (midnight shift worker- woohoo).

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@cbishop: hey no problem at all man, just let me know if there's anything you need from me :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#4  Edited By cbishop
johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers