User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
DateThe Color Guard #2ViewRead the...
01/27/17A Family Affair, Part 2(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanationLast Issue:
TMurder and death discussed.A Family Affair, Part 1
Try to Keep It Straight:

Two challenges as you read:

1. Keep it straight which Color Guard members have which parents, and how they're all related.
  2. If Super-American is at nine o'clock, figure out the seating arrangement for the game.

Why? Why not? It's just a fun thing to do. The answers will be at the end of the last chapter. -cb

It was Green Ghost's turn to blush. "Oh, that was the press' doing. When I first fought alongside the group, a reporter dubbed me The Green Ghost after seeing me turn to green mist. Before I knew it, the team voted and invited me to join. I tried to straighten 'em out on the name, but the press couldn't let it go. So, I just kept it. Besides, it let me stay on the team."

"Okay," said Super-American. "And you two are dating, I take it?"

Green Ghost smiled sheepishly, and protested, "Daaad."

Purple Tigress laughed, "Yes sir, we are. I hope you don't mind."

"On the contrary," he said. "I approve wholeheartedly! This one needs someone to keep him in line," he said, elbowing his son lightly. The team laughed again.

"How come you never joined The RBC?"

"How come you never joined The RBC?" asked Purple Tigress.

Super-American smiled. "Long story. Mostly because there was no color in my name." The team laughed. "So then, I know you're The Woman in Red," he said pointing a few seats to his right, "And you're Red Rocket. Related?"

"Brother and sister," confirmed The Woman in Red. "Our parents were Red Torpedo and Scarlet Phantom."

"Keeping the family to one color theme," snickered Red Rocket.

"Yes," Super-American chuckled. "That's quite a car you drive by the way. Got the old man's penchant for tinkering, I see? Your father and Golden Knight built El Dorado, y'know."

"With a little help from my mom," added Silver Streak.

"Our mom," said Golden Girl.

American laughed with disbelief. "Now wait-a-minute. You're all sister and brothers?" he asked, pointing at Golden Girl, Golden Arrow and Silver Streak.

"Oh, no- we're not related at all."

Golden Arrow was sipping on his beer when asked. He stopped, and pointing the bottle towards Silver Streak, he said, "We're just step-brothers." Super-American looked confused, glancing at Golden Girl. "We're both half-brothers to Golden Girl though. My father was Golden Archer--"

"--Who became Golden Knight later. Right," said Super-American.

"My mom was Green Sorceress," finished Arrow. "I was 'Bronze Man' so as to not get confused with Golden Girl and Golden Lad, but then 'Bronze Terror' came on the scene and killed mom. I didn't want the name association, or the reminder, so... 'Golden Arrow,' after dad."

Super-American looked a bit sad at that. "I was truly sorry to hear about her death. You have my condolences, young man."

Arrow nodded, and took another pull on his beer.

"And my mom was Silver Knight," said Silver Streak, "but from when she was the villain Madame Strange."

"When she got together with my dad, she became a good guy, and they changed their names to Golden Knight and Silver Knight," added Golden Girl.

"Your father... Madame Strange was married. So was he--"

Looking at Silver Streak to his right, Super-American said thoughtfully, "Your father... Madame Strange was married. So was he--"

"--Doc Strange. Yes sir, both were villains. Dad went to jail when I was a preteen, and mom wouldn't allow me to see him. I lost track of him after that. I grew up angry, and eventually became estranged from mom and my half-sister there. Similar to Tigress, I was pissed that mom moved on to a team of heroes, and came gunning for Golden Girl. The team beat me, and she welcomed me back with open arms." He looked at the table. "I just broke. Family was all I wanted, so when they offered for me to join, I accepted immediately."

"So you two must be glad to have him around as well," Super-American said to Red Rocket and his sister.

"How do you mean?" asked The Woman in Red.

He was slightly taken aback. "Oh. You've never made the connection?" The group looked confused. "My dear, 'Doc' Strange is Tom Strange."

Woman in Red still looked confused, but said, "Well, 'Tom' is our dad's name, but--"

"--Our last name is Redd," finished her brother.

"...Doc Strange became a hero too, because he was Red Torpedo."

The old man raised his eyebrows. "Well, he changed his name, but I assure you: Doc Strange became a hero too, because he was Red Torpedo."

The Woman in Red fell back in her seat, exchanging shocked looks with Silver Streak and Red Rocket.

Super-American continued, "He and Golden Knight fought bitterly the last time Doc Strange got out of jail. He created the Red Torpedo identity so as not to violate his parole. He just wanted to see his son. When your mom realized what was happening," he said to Silver Streak, "she stopped them from fighting, and convinced Knight to keep the secret. So they told the press that the fight was a test for their newest recruit, and they introduced Red Torpedo to the world. He met Scarlet Phantom when she joined the team, and yes, they clicked at first because of their matching color schemes." He shrugged. "The rest is history."

"Holy cow," said a young man laying a gun in the middle of the table. "You guys are closer knit than you thought."

"And you are?" asked Super-American.

"Oh, Gunmaster," he said, reaching across the table to shake the hero's hand. "Woman in Red's boyfriend," he added, pointing left. "Not a member- just associate."

"You're going to have to become Blademaster if you keep betting your weapons, young man," scolded American.

Gunmaster winced. "Yeah... I was hoping we were just betting for fun?"

"Oh, I'm not giving you back anything. I won 'em fair and square."

Half the group rolled their eyes and handed him back his weapons. He looked to The Woman in Red, and she said, "Oh, I'm not giving you back anything." Gunmaster's mouth fell open. "I won 'em fair and square. I got invisibility from my mom, but guns are my thing too. I like these," she said firmly. The group was quiet. Then she smirked, and with a wink she said, "But we might be able to work something out." The group chuckled, then laughed as Gunmaster's face lit up.

Super-American looked across the table, and said, "Well, that leaves you, young lady. I know it's 'Blue' something, because most of your costume is that color, but I apologize- I've forgotten the rest. Begins with an 'L' I think."

The girl held her thumb and forefinger apart a few inches beside her, arched her eyebrow, and let blue electricity jump between them as a reminder.

At the display of her powers, a soft smile momentarily crossed Super-American's face. "'Bluuuue... Lightning?" he asked hopefully.

"It's 'Blue Lady,' actually," she said with a smile.

"And who are your parents?" he asked, taking a pull on his own beer.

Next Issue: A Family Affair, Part 3.-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #49.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:
This story was about revamping Public Domain characters, and they are all listed under the "Comic Characters used in this fic" tab. That left very few OC Names, but here they are:
CharactersLocationsObjectsTeams
  • Redd, Tom
  • El Dorado
  • Red Rocket's car
  • Color Guard, The
  • Rainbow Bridge Club, The (RBC)
Comic Characters used in this fic:
CompanyCharactersObjects
Public Domain:
  • Gunmaster's Guns

*Tom Redd is an original identity I came up with for Tom Strange/Doc Strange.

.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #174

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

to be edited.