#1 Edited by RichGenX (714 posts) - - Show Bio
Author's Intro

It's a week into the new year, and it is time to post the second chapter of the Redux of Truth Be Told. The whole rewrite process has been fun, and I hope to do a rewrite with all the stories in The Cale Storyline. As it is, the penultimate chapter of the Redux of this story is being proofread, so I'm starting to post the rewrite of Truth Be Told. With luck, I will have all the chapters of this one up by the end of the month, well, all the chapters that are complete that is.

As always, this was originally posted under my name, Richard B Sampson Jr., on Fanfiction.net

Generation X Cale Storyline Disclaimer

Attention: Generation X and their villains, as well as any other mutant mentioned in this story, is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations. Any other reference to anything copyrighted is a chance happening.

====================================================

Previous Stories in The Cale Storyline (All links go to the first chapter)
Changes

Truth Be Told Redux

Previous ChapterTragedy

Chapter 2: Sean's Story (Original)

I had been talking with Mondo for a while that day. Seemed the lad had been more interested in how some of the things worked on campus. This had been a change in the lad, since he had always accepted that they just worked. I should have realized it to be a sign that something was up, since the things he was most interested in had been the security measures.

Now, I wasn't about to stop an inquisitive mind, and it was in the best interest of all of them to learn how they worked. I was about to start explaining one of them when I heard someone call for me. "Sean, can I speak with you for a moment?"

I had recognized who had called. It was Richard, and I had turned to see the newest student was standing outside the door to the room we had been in. Now, while his voice didn't hint at any urgency, I noticed he was trying to attract my attention. I also noticed a look of worry in the lad's eyes. Given what I had known about Richard, and his family’s past, I had a feeling that privacy was going to be needed.

I turned back to Mondo, and held up a hand. “I’ll be a moment, lad.” Once I saw Mondo nod in understanding, I walked over to the door Richard had appeared in. The lad had obviously stepped out of line of sight of the door. Figuring that would be best, I walked through the door, and turned in the direction Richard had ducked down.

What I saw had me do a double take. Richard had indeed ducked behind the door, but it wasn’t because he wanted to talk about anything related to his family. I saw that behind Richard was another figure, apparently unconscious. I recognized the figure immediately, since I had just been talking to the same figure seconds ago. It was Mondo.

Confused, I looked directly at Richard, and I could see that he saw my confusion. The sight of another Mondo was making me worry about the curiosity of the one I just left. I had to hope that what I was looking at wasn’t the real thing. At least I kept my voice low, which as ye know isn’t easy for me, as I questioned Richard about what I saw. “Richard, what is this? Did ye find a clone of Mondo? Or is this someone posing as Mondo?” I had been hoping the last question was the one to be answered with a ‘Yes‘.

To my dismay, I saw Richard shake his head, trying to keep a calm look on his face. “No, sir. I found the real one. The imposter is out there.” I saw him point to the room I had left as he said that.

It wasn’t the answer I had wanted to hear. I took a moment to glance out into the room I had left. The Mondo I saw in there had taken a seat, waiting patiently for me to return. I returned my gaze to Richard, and pointed to the unconscious form. "How can ye be sure that this one is an imposter?"

In all honesty, I had already suspected the answer, even before Richard gave it. "I was on a walk on the grounds when I detected a mutant presence. I picked up on a mixture of things when I did. There were plans to capture us all, with a fake Mondo being the first part of the plan. I also sensed some botanical control, and one other thing that puzzled me." I gave him a questioning look, and he gave the last detail. "I sensed a similarity to you."

That worried me a bit. I started to worry what that meant, and fearing it wasn’t going to be what I thought it would be. I asked him then, "Do ye mean they have a sonic scream?"

What Richard said next hit me like a ton of bricks. "No. I mean it’s a Cassidy."

I realized at that moment that moment that the school was in very serious trouble. One that the students hadn’t been made aware of yet. Now I had to get all the students that were still at the school together. There was, however, the issue of the fake Mondo. We needed to take care of this threat immediately. I looked at Richard and asked him, “Is there anything that we might be able to do to stop the fake Mondo?”

I could see Richard was thinking about it. Given Richard’s abilities, I had a feeling that the lad might have an idea that might tell us how true the imposter was. Finally, I heard him respond, “Well, I did pick up that that one could be nothing more than a plant construct under the control of the intruder. If that’s the case, fire would be the best solution. It would destroy the thing faster than cutting it would.”

I nodded in agreement, and then looked in the room. I would need to get the right person there, and soon, if we were to eliminate that threat. I just didn’t have a way to call them without drawing attention to the fact that I suspected, since Emma was not at the school at the time.

As I thought of what to do, I heard Richard say, “Sir. I think I should get the real Mondo to the med unit. I don’t know how long he was out there, but he does need medical attention.” I turned and nodded at Richard, signaling that I thought he was right. I saw in that moment his concern for his fellow classmate. Of course, I knew this was also due to the fact that Richard had believed he lost a family member in his youth, and the lad thought of the students at the school as a part of his family.

I heard Richard then use my own power to get himself and the real Mondo away. I was thankful that the fake one hadn’t heard that, but I hoped that the answer to our problem would soon arrive. It turned out luck was on my side. Jonothan had chosen that moment to enter the room, and I knew we would be able to resolve the first part of our problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jonothan, who had been paying attention to Sean’s account of what had happened, politely listened as Jean stopped Sean. Obviously, she had reached a slightly incorrect conclusion about how the events went. “So Richard discovered that Tom had made a copy of Mondo. How could that be traumatic?” He realized she would change her tune on that soon.

He took that moment to speak up, so to speak. “We could only wish it was that simple. Hell, I wish it could be like my problem.” He gestured to the fiery hole that was the signature of his mutant power. The action gained a nod from Sean, and Jonothan continued speaking to the group. “You see, the events that followed got to show us that Richard has an unique temper. He had told us shortly after his arrival that he usually holds in the things that bother him until it explodes in a fit of rage.” Jonothan noticed that the few at the table that had seen it happen shuddered.

He then noticed that Scott had a look of shock on his face, obviously not believing the statement. This was confirmed when Scott asked, “Worse than Logan’s?” They all knew of the temper that Wolverine had, mostly due to Jubilation telling everyone this. When Sean nodded in response to that, Jonothan then heard Scott as, “Well then. What led to the start of this breakdown?” Jonothan knew he was going to have to pick up the tale from this point, so he continued the story.

Next ChapterJono's Story
Chapter 4Yvette's Story
Chapter 5Angelo's Story
Chapter 6Jubilee's Story
Chapter 7Emma's Story
Chapter 8Monet's Story
Last ChapterRecovery
Library PageRichGenX's Library - The Cale Storyline 2 - Truth Be Told
Next Stories in the Cale Storyline (All links will go to the first chapter)
Relatively Dangerous