Tartarus High: Orientation Day, Part 1

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
DateTartarus High: Orientation DayViewRead the...
10/08/17Part 1(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
TBeware of the three-headed dog, and upperclassmen that tell you not to look at them.

"Oh, there you are! Come on! You're going to be late for freshman orientation!" My senior guide, Iris Wings, grabbed me by the elbow, and pulled me after her. "We've got to catch up to the group! Hurry!"

She broke into a run, and I kind of stumbled after her, because the wings on her back were helping to propel her, and I was too busy gawking at the place. "Iris, I'm coming! Give me a break!" I mean, I'd seen pictures, of course, but this...this was just...

"WELCOME TO TARTARUS HIGH, FRESHMEN!" a skinny boy in glasses blustered a little too loudly. "HOME OF THE TITANS! GOOOOO TITANS!" he cheered, pumping his fist in the air, and then I thought he was going to do a backflip, but it turned out he had just thrown himself a little off balance. He straightened himself, and continued, "Also the home of the Pantheon Paper, and since this is the home of the Titans, also home of Cerberus the mascot!" Nearby students barked raucously at the mention of Cerberus. "I'm Hermes Caduceus by the way. Any questions before we--"

"Oh… Em… Gee… And… Gee," said a freshman girl in disgust. She wore a dark gray hoodie that was pulled up over her blonde hair, some of which poked out from the front. It cast her face in dark shadow, but she sounded cute. Even when she said, "There's some dork running around campus in a three-headed dog costume?"

Hermes was slightly taken aback. "No. What gave you that idea?"

The girl rolled her eyes. "You just said Cerberus was our mascot." Nearby students barked again.

"Right," said Hermes, his tone cheerfully congratulating her for paying attention.

"Soooo," said the girl, waiting for Hermes to clue in. When he didn't, she prompted, "Cerberus is the mascooot?" Students barked again. "Mascots wear costuuumes?"

"OH! BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!" Hermes laughed hysterically. Then soberly, he held up a finger, then used it to push his glasses back up his nose, and said, "No. Cerberus is our mascot." Students barked again. "But there's no costume involved."

The girl stared blankly.

Hermes laughed diplomatically. "Uh, hellooo? Tartarus High? Home of the Titans? You took the ferry to get here?"

"That was...?" I interrupted. "He just looked at my student pass before bringing me across."

"Mine too," murmured a few others in the group.

"Special contract," confided Hermes, seemingly proud of the arrangement. Looking back to the girl, he said, "So. Tartarus. Titans. Ferry. Big, furry, three headed mutt guards Tartarus, because the Titans are prisoners here?"

"OH MY GODS AND GODDESSES!" shouted the girl. "THE ACTUAL CERBERUS IS OUR MASCOT? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!" She was so loud that students barked all across the quad.

"Huh," I said. "I thought he was an aardvark."

"Easy mistake," said Hermes, "but the name's different."

I shrugged at the correction. "Okay."

Looking back towards the ferry, the girl yelled, "WE ARE SO GOING TO TALK WHEN I GET HOME, DADDY!" Turning back to the group, she stomped once and fumed, "ARGH!"

Iris started, "Your dad is--"

Then, the freshman's eyes got big, and she said, "Wait. Are we prisoners here?"

"What?" gasped Iris, followed by a laugh.

Hermes laughed too. "BWAH-HA-HA-HA! Oh my gosh, no! That's just the lower levels! HA-HA! Phew." Then he pushed his glasses back up his nose again, and added, "Oh, by the way: never go to the lower levels."

"Is it that bad?" I asked.

Hermes rocked backwards a little as he laughed and clasped his hands in front of him. "Oh, no, no, no, no, no. It's just the Titans- the original Titans- are still prisoners there, and Cerberus--" Students barked. "--He guards them whenever he's not at the games, and he will eat you. We don't like feeding him freshmen." The group giggled, and Hermes said seriously, "It gives him indigestion. You don't want that. Freshmen have cleanup duty." About half of the giggling changed to looks of horrified disgust. Hermes didn't laugh to tell us that it was a joke.

"MOVING ON!" said Hermes.

"Wait a second, Hermes," said Iris. Turning to the girl who freaked out over the mascot, she said, "Your dad is--?"

The girl rolled her eyes, but sighed and raised her hand in front of her, "Yes. Sharon Boatman," she said, pointing to herself. "My dad drives the ferry."

Some of the freshmen were obviously creeped out. I just looked at her, and said, "Cool. Does he still take the... y'know?" I asked, pointing at my eyes.

Sharon smiled, a little embarrassed. "Yeah. He still takes the coins from the dead." She flopped her arms against her sides a couple of times, and said, "I keep trying to get him to roll them and put them in the bank, but he just won't do it. We've got so many plastic jugs full of those things around the house, it's ridiculous."

Everyone was stock still, just staring at her.

"I'm kidding, you guys," she said, shaking her head, and starting out ahead of the group.

I couldn't help laughing.

Hermes shook it off, and ran to get ahead of her again, continuing right where he left off. "You'll notice that the campus is modeled after Olym--"

"HERMES!" yelled a girl from somewhere in a group of sirens approaching us. "TELL THOSE FRESHMEN NOT TO LOOK AT ME! DON'T LOOK AT ME! DON'T EVEN LOOK AT ME!" she ranted as the group brushed by us.

One of the other freshmen turned to watch them go, and Iris quickly cupped a hand over his eyes. "HEY! Weren't you listening? Don't look at her!"

The boy pulled Iris' hand away, and looked at her petulantly. "Perseus Valor looks where he will." The group of sirens stopped and parted as Perseus raised his chin defiantly and looked towards them.

"LOOK AWAY!" shouted Hermes, and we all complied.

All except Perseus. A bit forlornly, the girl in the center of the group said, "You asked for it," and Perseus whimpered before turning to stone. Then the sirens closed around the girl, and their clique moved on.

We were all in shock. We just stared at Perseus. "Oh, Styg'," Iris said a bit sadly. "Help me move him?" she asked me. We stood him next to a tree. Patting Valor's stone cheek, she said, "Maybe next time, you'll listen."

Next Issue: Part 2.-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #64.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

Exception: Cerebus owned by Dave Sim.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:
Characters:
  • Boatman, Charon (implied)
  • Boatman, Sharon
  • Caduceus, Hermes
  • Styg' (girl with sirens)
  • Valor, Perseus
  • Wings, Iris
  • unnamed narrator
Locations:
  • Tartarus High
Objects:
  • .Pantheon Paper.
Teams:
  • Titans (school)
Comic Characters used in this fic:
Dave Sim
Public Domain:
Picture Credits:
GIS = Google Image Search
PictureCredit

"...also home of Cerberus the mascot!"

Cerberus was found via GIS on the Monsters & Creatures Wiki. Origin for the pic is not listed.

"Easy mistake, but the name's different."

Cerebus was found via GIS, and is property of Aardvark-Vanaheim (listed as Aardvark on CV. I don't know if the company name changed, or what).

"Yes... My dad drives the ferry."

Charon was found via GIS on the smitegame forums, but the pic is marked with www.morjers-art.de in the bottom left corner.

"You asked for it."

The pic I used for Perseus Valor turned to stone was found via GIS on rasmenia.com, as part of an article aboutThe Megaliths of Carnac.

.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #190

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
OC Name Origins:
NameOrigin
Boatman, CharonIn myth, Charon is the boatman that ferries the dead across the River Styx. I just made Boatman his last name.
Boatman, Sharon"Sharon" and "Charon" sound alike, so it was a no-brainer for his daughter's name. No, I don't know who her mother is yet.
Caduceus, HermesIn myth, Hermes carried a caduceus- the stick with the snakes twining around it. I just made it his last name. This might be a son, not the actual god. I haven't decided.
Valor, PerseusPerseus was a hero, but Hero is Hercules' last name for this story, so Valor is the next thing I thought of.
Wings, IrisIris was a messenger goddess, much the same as Hermes was a messenger god. She is sometimes equated with Nike, the goddess of victory, and may or not be depicted with wings. I chose to give her wings, and just went with that as her last name.
Tartarus Highsee the Note of Trivia.
.Pantheon Paper.I almost went with Pantheon High over Tartarus High until I found out that was already used. So Pantheon Paper is a nod to that, and it's alliterate, so I liked it.
Titans (school)The school teams are The Titans, named after Tartarus' most famous residents.
Note of trivia: I started to call this Olympus High, then changed it to Pantheon High, but something kept bugging me. So I looked it up and found out that Pantheon High is an American manga. So I went back to Olympus High, but then decided to look that up just to be safe. Turns out that Olympus High is an actual high school in Holladay, Utah, and their teams are in fact called the Titans. So I kept the team name, and changed the school name to Tartarus High. Looked it up- I'm the first to use it apparently. Whew. -cb :}

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

good stuff CB

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#4 wildvine  Moderator

This is kinda awkward. Like the whole Cerberus bit just kept going. Half of this is just the Cerberus joke. I know who Cerberus is. I dare say most readers know who that is. So this exposition is almost purely for the character. And not even the main character, but this side girl who arguably should know about the school given her father. I just feel not much was set up here.

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

??Like

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cbishop

@wildvine: A running joke is supposed to go on for a bit. Sharon knows who Cerberus is too , but thought Hermes was talking about your average costumed mascot (evidenced by her assumption that the mascot was some dork in a three-headed dog costume). Her yelling in her dad's direction implies that he may have told her something other than the truth. This is only part one of orientation so more setup is coming.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cbishop
SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right up my alley.

What is the name "iris wings"? I can only think of an Egyptian parallel.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone: check the OC Name Origins in the second comment box. :)

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah persus, always gettin stoned :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about this and the new CCC.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

This is kinda awkward. Like the whole Cerberus bit just kept going. Half of this is just the Cerberus joke. I know who Cerberus is. I dare say most readers know who that is. So this exposition is almost purely for the character. And not even the main character, but this side girl who arguably should know about the school given her father. I just feel not much was set up here.

@cbishop said:

@wildvine: A running joke is supposed to go on for a bit. Sharon knows who Cerberus is too , but thought Hermes was talking about your average costumed mascot (evidenced by her assumption that the mascot was some dork in a three-headed dog costume). Her yelling in her dad's direction implies that he may have told her something other than the truth. This is only part one of orientation so more setup is coming.

I still don't know about "awkward," but this story has been bugging me for awhile. The only way this story really works is if the kids didn't know that they had powers like their parents, and they clearly do. I wrote this on the fly, but clearly didn't think it out all that much. I'd like to rework this at some point.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

@cbishop: Hello good sir! I'm present Wv. I represent the commentary office of Wv, Wv and Wv (no relation). First I must apologize for Past Wv. I feel they may have been in a mood that day and the review while being a snapshot in time is not a fair depiction of this story and I say that with confidence because---

I did not remember reading this. I did not notice the date posted. I sincerely thought you wrote this recently. Imagine my surprise seeing my curt review in the comments. How very... awkward. Allow me to correct myself.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wildvine  Moderator

I was going to say more but editing with a spoiler block makes my text disappear and my hear rate increase. So addendum.

I still don't know about "awkward," but this story has been bugging me for awhile. The only way this story really works is if the kids didn't know that they had powers like their parents, and they clearly do. I wrote this on the fly, but clearly didn't think it out all that much. I'd like to rework this at some point.

Upon rereading I don't think the kids have to be oblivious about their powers. I think they should be oblivious to the existence of each other. For one reason or another they live sheltered from one another. Maybe figuring out why could even be an underlying mystery for the series, Regardless of what things you rework I think the groundwork here is fine.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Cool. Thanks for that. :)

Thinking about what you said, there's a way I could work it from this to something else. Could be fun. :)

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wildvine  Moderator

@cbishop: And my spoiler comments disappeared. Oh well. It was all positive

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: I was wondering what happened with that. I could see the spoiler before, but couldn't get into it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Nov 24, 2023: Found on Facebook, this reminded me of our girl, Stygio Medusa (and thanks for that character name, Imp'). :)