Steampunk Stardust, Part 2

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1068

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 2nd BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #58!

DateSteampunk StardustViewRead the...
03/28/17Part 2(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanationLast Issue:
T+Slavery.Part 1
"You gave him a yeti for this trinket?"

"You gave him a yeti for this trinket?" Will asked incredulously.

"He led me to believe it would let me fly," she said with an angry pout.

"Why did he want a yeti?" Will wondered aloud.

"How do I know?" the old woman barked, now closer to her original demeanor. "He wanted to go over the Ice Shelf, and you don't do that without a yeti. Now sir, if you're not buying anything today, I have work to do. Starting with notifying the Yeti Council that I have been bilked out of one of their brood," she said with aggravation as she turned back towards her wagon.

"Actually, do you have any more yeti?" Dunn inquired.

Half-turning back to him, Semele said sternly, "You'd do well not to waste my time, man. Yeti are expensive."

Dunn balked. "You traded one to Trigger for these wings!"

"Which I thought to be of great value!" she barked. "Do not taunt me, sir!"

"Perhaps Mister Dunn would have something of great value to trade for one of Madame's yeti," the cat girl asked with a purr.

"Don't interrupt when I'm talking business, Una!" Then, eyeing Dunn's wrist, Madame Semele said, "I'm partial to a good timepiece."

"It's attached, I'm afraid," he answered. "So's the helmet, before you ask."

"Bah," she grunted. "What do I want a helmet for anyway?"

"Madame?" Una said quietly.

"What, Una? What?!" the old lady barked impatiently.

"Is the ring of any value?" she asked, pointing to Will's left hand.

"Well?" demanded Semele. "Is it?"

Will thought for a moment, then held up his hand so Madame Semele could see it better. "It was," he answered. "It's called a 'power ring.' When charged, it can make anything you can think of. It also translates languages, and protects the wearer from harm. It's actually very low right now though, and I don't have the power battery with me. If you think you can trust me for it, I could trade you the ring for a yeti, and bring you the battery when I return."

"It can make anything?"

"It can make anything?" Semele asked hesitantly.

"Pick something," offered Will.

"Faerie folk!" she said with almost girlish hope.

Will held the ring up so she could see it glow, and ten little faeries appeared to leap from the center of it, fluttering around his hand for a few moments before darting towards Madame Semele. She flinched before realizing they were just flying around her head, and they were smiling. She grabbed for one, and it disappeared in a puff of green smoke. She looked to the others, and they all disappeared in like fashion.

"Where did they go?" she cried with disappointment in her voice, mixed only slightly with her customary anger.

"They're not real, Madame Semele," Will said with slight amusement. "They exist only as long as you will them to, and only as long as the ring has power. Do we have a deal?"

"Yes! Yes!" she shouted happily, snatching the ring from his hand almost before he could get it off of his finger. Then she darted into the wagon. A minute later, she came out with a yeti. It was four feet high, and it seemed a little pudgy to Will. It had a silver chain identical to Una's around its ankle leading back to the wagon.

"A pup?" he almost spat.

Madame Semele was taken aback. "What?" she said defensively. "Yeti pups are easier to control, easier to store, and as they're not fully grown, they have a longer shelf life for the dealer. A buyer is rare, you know." Then actually smiling, she said, "No one is going to believe I sold two in one day."

Will scowled, but bent down to the young yeti. "Can you show me your teeth?"

The yeti growled, opening its mouth wide as it did so. The growl sounded nothing like the roar of an attacking adult. It sounded like the strangled whine of imperiled tiger cubs.

"Mm-hm," Will hummed with satisfaction. "And your claws?"

The pup held out its hand, and the claws were a bluish-black hue against his white fur. Will took his hand and turned it over to examine the other side. He could feel strength in the yeti's grip, but merely that of a full-grown man; nowhere near what it would be when he was an adult yeti.

"And can I see your eyes?" he asked.

The yeti blew at the fur covering his eyes, but moved it only slightly. It gave a brief glimpse at the dark eyes hidden behind its bangs, but then they were covered again.

"Edward!"

"Hold on a minute," said Semele. Turning towards her wagon once again, she called, "Edward!"

Will looked at her in surprise. "How many live in your wagon, Madame?"

Semele smiled with true humor, and simply said, "Well. It's bigger on the inside."

"Ah, I see," said Will, deciding from her undertone that it was best to pursue his curiosity no further.

"Edward!" she called again, and was immediately answered by the door to the wagon swinging open.

Out stepped a tall, lanky young man with pale, nearly albino skin, and disheveled black hair. He was dressed in black leather from neck to feet, and his hands had the strangest attachments Will had ever seen- all blades. Knives mostly, but he saw scissors there too. He also had a silver chain around his ankle, attaching him to the wagon.

"Remarkable," muttered Will.

"Edward, be a dear and trim the fur out of the yeti's eyes, will you?" Semele asked, almost sweetly. "I'll be right back," she added as she headed into her wagon.

Edward stepped forward, and examined the yeti's face for a few moments before his hands made a few swishing noises, and the yeti's eyes appeared, now exposed under nicely trimmed bangs. Will looked pleased, but still looked at Edward in astonishment. Edward noticed him looking, and stared back for a moment. Then he leaned forward suddenly to Will, and whispered strongly, "I don't belong here."

"I should say not," agreed Will. "So why don't you leave? Surely those hands of yours could make short work of that chain?"

Edward looked down at his ankle quite sadly, and stabbed one finger blade just under the chain, letting it glide over the back of the blade as he lifted it up for Will to see. With the scissors on his other hand, he snipped the chain in two. As it fell away, Dunn was amazed to see the chain pieces reattach themselves, looking as if they'd never been cut.

"Of course, I've tried," said Edward. Before he could say anything else, Madame Semele came back outside with some papers in her hand.

Next Issue: Part 3.-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #58.
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be edited.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@cbishop: Oh cool, really enjoying these. Will get onto three as soon as I've recovered the IGTA issue for this week after it got accidentally deleted.