Steampunk Stardust, Part 1

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1068

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 2nd BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #58!

DateSteampunk StardustViewRead the...
03/27/17Part 1(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
T+Slavery and surgical violence.

The Faerie Market, near Wall:

William Dunn had not thought of World War II in many years. A strange weapon detonated by the enemy opened a hole in space and time, and a few in him as well. He was thrown here by the blast. Well, not here exactly, as he was currently in the Faerie Market. He had actually been cast into the woods between the Faerie Market and the town of Wall.

...if he was that Doctor Frankenstein...
...if he was that Doctor Frankenstein...

He barely made his way to the Market then, and was put back together by a man he would be eternally grateful to, but also quite afraid of. William wasn't sure if he was that Doctor Frankenstein, but he certainly remembered scalpels, and wrenches, and needles, and hammers, and he was a little fuzzy on it, but he was pretty sure there was a blowtorch and a wand involved. Or perhaps it was just lightning through the doctor's skylights. Man or wizard, he had put Dunn back together again. More or less.

At any rate, William now had what amounted to a telescope for a right eye, but it sat on his face like a jeweler's glass. His right arm had wires and tubes running through it, and pistons that helped it bend. His entire hand on that arm had been replaced by a metal the likes of which he had never seen. It appeared to be brass, but he had yet to meet anything that could even dent it. This despite some of the fingers being hollow, and filled with various wonders. His favorite was actually the lighter in the tip of the thumb- the only thing the doctor had allowed him to suggest. There had been a few occasions to make use of it, but he mostly used it to light his pipe. His right knee and his left shoulder were the same metal as his hand, as was the big toe on his left foot. He wasn't sure that last bit was strictly necessary, but he sometimes used it as a blunt instrument while referring to it as his "hammer toe." Something else must have happened to his legs, because he could leap up to second floor balconies as if he were taking stairs two-at-a-time.

He was pretty sure Frankenstein must be different from the man known on his world, because bizarrely, he had also bonded Dunn's G.I. helmet to his head by means of a large screw at the top of his skull. He could remove the helmet in favor of a closer-fitting plate, but it was such a pain that he rarely bothered. He hardly noticed the discomfort anymore when he lay down to sleep, as he'd found ways to compensate for the helmet. The doctor had also bonded his watch to his left arm. It always kept flawless time, but he still had to wind it on occasion to keep his movements from becoming sluggish. Since his right hand was mechanical, it was annoyingly difficult to do, but he figured it beat looking at the underside of a hill for the rest of his afterlife.

The true marvel of everything that had been done to him was his heart. It was covered at the chest by more of that metal, and with some strange, glowing crimson stone inside, both supporting and partially-replacing his heart. He figured that had to be something more Faerie than Frankenstein, but he was just grateful he had it. More than one fool had tried to take it from him.

"Are you really authorized?"

He was looking for one of those fools now, as he was one of the enemies from his own world- one Herr Trigger. It was actually Auslöser, but he "translated it for the dumb Yanks." He had not only tried to steal the stone from Dunn's chest, he had actually stolen his pipe! That just wouldn't do. He figured Trigger would try to blend into the nearest crowd, and that was the Faerie Market. Will was looking for some kind of clue to his foe's trail, when he saw the Luftwaffe pin on the table of one of the Market stalls. It was a Gypsy wagon whose table was attended by a young girl who was preoccupied with a thin silver chain on her ankle. He might not have seen it if not for the sign hanging on the table. It read "YETI Authorized Dealer."

"Are you really authorized?" Will asked the girl at the table as he walked up.

It was when she looked up in surprise that he noticed her cat-like ears, and that the chain was not just jewelry. It actually ran from her ankle to a slat in the wagon's door. Surely it wasn't meant to hold her?

"I'm sorry?" the cat girl asked.

"Your sign says 'yeti authorized dealer.' Are you really authorized, or are you just selling the sign as a novelty?"

"The sign's real 'nuff," answered a voice from inside the wagon. As Will looked to the door, an old woman stepped out. She was overweight with a patina colored, spiky attachment covering half her face. One of the spikes curved into her left eye socket, clearly filling empty space. A like-colored attachment ran the length of her right arm, giving sparse covering to the upper arm, but completely sheathing the forearm and hand. It had a red stone in the center of the back of the hand. "So's my dealership," she said in answer to his challenge. "Are you looking for a yeti?"

Will scowled slightly, but nodded to the table. "Actually, I'm looking for the man that sold you those wings," he said pointing at the Luftwaffe pin.

"Really?" the woman said in surprise. "I only traded for them because I'd never seen their like before. He said they allowed him to fly, but I haven't had the chance to try them yet."

Dunn shook his head and chuckled. "I'm afraid they'll only work for him, Miss...?"

Sounding much more pleasant, the old woman said, "Madame Semele," as she proffered her left hand. "And how do you know what the wings can do, Mister...?"

"William Dunn," he answered, "and I know because Herr Trigger and I are from the same place. Or thereabouts. The wings grant him access to a flying machine. They don't actually give him any sort of ability."

"...they're just sort of... plane, really."

Madame Semele's eyes lit up as she said, "A machine that flies? Marvelous!"

"I suppose it is," said Dunn. Playing to her wonderment and his own amusement, he said, "Where we come from, they're just sort of... plane, really."

"Plain?" she exclaimed. "I must see such a place where flying machines are plain!"

Dunn smiled genuinely. "It's not as remarkable as it sounds, Madame. Truly. Tell me though- you said the man traded these wings to you? For what?"

"Funnily enough, for a yeti!" she said with a laugh.

Next Issue: Part 2.-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #58.
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be edited.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Don't think l entered this contest so I didn't see this earlier. Got to say that besides the misuse of "their' over 'there' not much was wrong.

Sorry for not being around as much, between the new job, new house and becoming engaged life has been very busy

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop

@impurestcheese: I had to look for what you were talking about. The usage of "their" is correct. ;)

Congrats on the engagement! :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By ImpurestCheese
4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers