Star Wars: The New Canon Initiative

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The Star Wars New Canon Initiative is a project which rewrites the vast majority of Star Wars canon. It will involve fan-fiction stories written by various Star Wars fans. The only pre-existing thing counted as part of the New Canon is the Original Trilogy.

Rules -

1. Only the Original Trilogy counts from the previous canon. Everything else (Sequel Trilogy, Prequel Trilogy, Clone Wars, Rebels, Old EU, New EU, KOTOR, etc.) is open to reinterpretation and reinvention. None of it is considered to be part of this New Canon, and is to be rewritten. *NOTE: None of this is done out of frustration or hatred for anything mentioned above. I love pieces of media such as the Clone Wars, the Force Awakens, certain games and books from both EUs. This is simply a way to write new and fresh Star Wars stories from an (almost) clean-slate, not having to deal with the admittedly some-what convoluted timeline of both new and old canons in the Star Wars Universe.

2. Things from any of the previously mentioned pieces of media can be brought over. Love Mara Jade or Grand Admiral Thrawn? Write stories involving them! Only thing is that it cannot be a copy-and-paste retelling of their stories from any previous canon. For example, do not retell the Thrawn Trilogy. Feel free to write as many stories about Thrawn as you want, but it must be new and original enough to count as part of the New Canon.

3. Going off the second rule: be creative! Reinvent character histories and backstories. Tell a radically different version of the Clone Wars from the one depicted in main canon. Give the Jedi and Sith new origins. Want to use Mara Jade? Maybe she had a new and different origin from what it was in the Old EU. Maybe Anakin Skywalker’s fall to the Darkside is due to pure selfishness instead of what it is in Revenge of the Sith. Be new. Be original. Be imaginative. Have fun telling new and original stories set within the Star Wars universe. The only thing that counts now is the Original Trilogy. Make it count and use it to be new, fresh and original. Invent new planets and species. Create new characters and reinvent old ones. Have fun.

4. Try to stay within the Science/Fantasy genre. As much as I love the Thrawn Trilogy, it was kind of the beginning of the Star Wars franchise turning into more of a Sci-Fi series and less of a Science/Fantasy-Adventure story like the Original Trilogy was. Do not be afraid to bring in Sci-Fi elements, just do not turn the entire series into a Sci-Fi story.

And that is it. I hope others will decide to join me on this project and write some fun and new stories within the Star Wars universe. Remember: Do not be too beholden to what has been done before. If it is not in the Original Trilogy, it does not count! Be creative and unique. I am currently working on some story ideas I will be getting to hopefully soon enough.

thewritingtoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cool idea! Wondering if you have any titles at all yet or plans for any?

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewritingtoad: I do, actually. I am beginning work on a story called 'Jedi Reborn: A Star Wars Story'. Brief overview of what I have so far: It fallows a Jedi who has lived in exile on a small planet after the end of the Clone Wars (which is now open to reinterpretation). The planet is under Imperial rule, and the story takes place only a couple of days after Return of the Jedi. It fallows this Jedi as he regains hope again and fights to free this planet from its Imperial rule. Its still in the early stages, so it will not be out for a while. Do you have any ideas for stories?

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheFortress

@thewritingtoad: I also had this idea for a story (I do not have a title for it yet) that takes place about 3 years after Return of the Jedi. I begins with the final battle against the last of the Empire, and the story as a whole would set the stage for everything to come after it, such as the establishment of the New Republic and the New Jedi Order. It would also introduce new characters, as well as bring in some fan-favorite characters from the Old EU (Mara Jade in particular, with a new origin of course). I do not know if I would be the one to write this or not, but I've got the ideas for sure.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Definitely interested.

But in all honesty I’d just wanna write Boba Fett and the Bounty Hunters.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’d love to do a Rule of 2 series with different groupings of Sith that descended from Darth Bane.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

This is cool

silverspidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wont be participating in this one, but I really look forward to what you guys do!!

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Feel more than free to do both of the ideas you mentioned! Both sound very interesting. I will say I am slowly beginning work on a short(ish) story called 'Star Wars Alpha' which sets the stage for both the New Republic and New Jedi Order post-Return of the Jedi, but I doubt either of your ideas will conflict with anything I am doing there. Cannot wait to see what you might come up with!

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefortress: Cool. A fair few people seem interested so it might be wise to make a group chat.

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Yeah. Thank you for the idea! I will get on that! If you are interested in writing stories for this, let me know and I will create a group chat for the people.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefortress: I definitely am. Probably leaning towards just doing a Rule of 2 story.

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Sounds awesome. Once I get a little more feedback as to who wants to be part of this I will create a group chat and we can discuss further plans, just to make sure the continuity fits.

The_Candy_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_candy_man: Awesome. I'll add you to the group chat when I make it. Do you have any ideas yet?

(BTW, on vacation for the next couple of days, so responding to messages might take a while)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e080bd0aded3
deactivated-5e080bd0aded3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems great

The_Candy_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefortress: I have to think about it. I'm an Imperial fan, so maybe some kind of Storm Trooper story.

The_Candy_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefortress: Thought about it. My idea...

Characters: planet Kamino (flashback), Clone Troopers, Storm Troopers

Plot: Im assuming the timeline can jump based on the OP, but this will take place after Return of the Jedi and before Force Awakens.

Storm Troopers are considered persona non grata after the formation of the New Republic. A few stragglers that are looking to lay low in the Outer Rim and not turn to mercenary work, discover a young teen who turns out to be a young Clone Trooper - not trained. Due to the Kamino insurrection (non-canon here) and the degradation of the Jengo Fett line with clone troopers the clone facility was shut down. The new crew of former Storm Troopers look to remain low due to their past, but also need to discover where this Fett has come from, which may prove more difficult in keeping the former plans intact.

Avatar image for ozzy_manueldiaz
Ozzy_ManuelDiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ozzy_ManuelDiaz

@thefortress:

My idea (Im assuming that everyone does not have to be in the same timeline based on your OP rules)

Timeline: After Return of Jedi and before Force Awakens

characters: planet Kamino (flashback), Clone Troopers, Storm Troopers

Plot: The New Republic has been established and storm troopers from the Empire are considered persona non grata. A small group tries to remain low, not wanting to do mercenary work and wanting to forget their past in the Outer Rim. One of the former storm troopers discover a young teen who is a 1st gen clone of Jengo Fett after the Kamino Insurrection and the facilities closure. The remaining crew wants not to cause trouble, but this young Jengo might prove keeping that idea hard to keep

Ozzy_ManuelDiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely interested.

But in all honesty I’d just wanna write Boba Fett and the Bounty Hunters.

Hmm...where in the timeline would your story take place - pre or post Return of Jedi? Im just asking due to some interesting crossovers with my above pitch

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzy_manueldiaz: Well I have a few ideas for different characters, but for the Bounty Hunters probably post Return of the Jedi.

Ozzy_ManuelDiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: I guess I have to be more careful of trying to keep this clone a secret, lol

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzy_manueldiaz: I’m thinking of maybe doing a Luke Skywalker series instead. We could still crossover though if you wanted.

Ozzy_ManuelDiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Im always willing to do stuff. I guess we have to see how stuff develops.

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman, @ozzy_manueldiaz: Cool ideas! And yeah, differing timelines would probably be the best idea, though of course crossovers are always welcome if writers want to collaborate. I am getting back from vacation soon so I'll sit down and make a group chat for us to further make plans about this then.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TommytheHitman
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone picked up Count Dooku?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone picked up Count Dooku?

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I don’t think so, Kev. I’ll add you to the group chat.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bronze_surfer: I believe it is. What character/era are you interested in?

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bronze_surfer: Don't think that should affect anyone besides maybe Batkevin's Count Dooku. I'll add you to the group.

Oddly enough I was also thinking of using Tenebrous back before I settled on Luke and Fett. I suppose there's just a lot of story opportunity there.

TheFortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers