The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#1  Edited By The Impersonator

So Scary 5- Paradise Lost

Some say the devil himself had been living among human society for thousands of years. But the fact remained clear that the fallen angel had started this whole freedom charade in the first place. The man who painted the picture of the fallen Lucifer, looking up at the sky, where he used to reside with heaven along with God and the other angels like himself, had turned out to be a great artist. But the truth was there alright. Lucifer or Satan as he had many names, didn't know what else to expect from the picture itself. From beginning to end, it was what the ancient scrolls had predicted that one day Earth will be turned into Paradise and what will happen to Lucifer? Where would he go if he doesn't change himself of who he used to be? It was something that he didn't know yet. But when he had arrived at the art gallery and noticed that the man who had painted the portrait of the fallen angel, he was fascinated by the quality of its great artwork, especially when it comes to painting or drawing the devil. Lucifer had seen what was coming before him. And he had also learned that the artist was a Christian. There was no doubt about it.

But there was one man who didn't believe in the devil or even God for that matter. He was an atheist and a professor, working at Harvard University. When he saw the portrait of the devil, he kinda scoffed at it, thinking who would believe in such things. Therefore, he decided to laugh when no one else was around to see it. He shook his head, and drank some wine. The devil in disguise approached him, and said, "It's a good picture. Isn't it?" The Harvard professor have turned around to see the man, who just stood there, looking all handsome and whatnot. He had blond hair, and looked broad enough to stand tall than any other man in the art gallery.

"Yes, I suppose it is. But I don't believe in such nonsense."

"Well... that's too bad. Everyone has got to believe in something. And that includes you."

"Oh... Is that so? Tell me, my dear friend. What do you suppose happened back then? Eh? I have read John Milton's poem by the way. It sounds like a fairy tale if you ask me."

"I'm afraid you're wrong. It isn't a fairy tale. You should know more than you think. After all, you used to be a Christian. Is that not true?"

The Harvard professor became quiet all of a sudden when the handsome stranger had said it. Then, he laughed. "My dear fellow. What on Earth would you think that?"

"I know everything, Professor. I know that you don't believe in God or the Devil. You're denying their existence. Despite the fact that you have accomplished so much in life, you still don't believe?"

"Look here... I don't have to believe in anything, despite what others say about God or the Devil. There's an old saying goes, Seeing is believing. Therefore, if I see the hand of God pointing out towards me, or an angel sending down from heaven, or even the devil himself tempting me. Then I will believe."

This time, the handsome stranger laughed at the old man. Some of the guests at the art gallery looked at them. "You sure know how to put up with that sort of thing, my old friend. Let me tell you something. If God had appeared before you, what would you have done?"

The Harvard professor thought for the moment and then shrugged. "I don't know. I would have asked him why he didn't show some signs. When I was a kid, I always pray for him to actually appear in my bedroom or at least hear his voice. That way, I would know he was listening to me. But..."

"You think that he wouldn't listen just because he didn't appear in your bedroom? My old friend, that's not how it works."

"Well..." The professor looked back at the picture and then continued, "You may got a point there, but I still don't think how he would exist by not showing himself. I mean, you should know that. Don't you?"

"I don't know about you. But God doesn't appear or speak to you. He only watches and listens. On the other hand, the devil is a being of action. He tempts and deceives people on this planet. But you can't see his disguise, whether that person is a believer or not."

"Hmm..." The old professor looked back at the handsome stranger. "Yes, well. I don't suppose you can't say that we have the right to believe?"

"You do have the right, and that's your choice. But you should know this very clearly. When I walked inside this art gallery, I saw you laughing at the picture. My dear friend, one shouldn't laugh at the devil himself. Do you know why?"

"Why?"

"Here... Let me show you." The handsome man came closer to the Harvard professor. Then he stared at his aging eyes. The professor's mouth dropped open as he saw something that he had never seen before. There was movement through the handsome man's eyes, and people cried out for God's mercy. He could hear their wailing voices around the fire that kept burning them.

The handsome stranger smiled at him, and then left the art gallery. As for the professor himself, he didn't move at all.

Next story- Diary of a Sodomite.