Royal Punch (chapter 17)

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Ivan had many times made it clear how much he hated touching animals. So Dimi finally being a fully-trained blacksmith meant that Ivan’s forge could offer to shoe horses and animals with hooves. And since Jadedale was a village often visited by traveling salesmen meant that the sixteen-year-old human girl had many customers who needed new shoes as well as having said shoes attached to hooves.

“Incredible!” Arran the Goblin watched with fascination as Dimi shoed his donkey Lisa. “I never seen nobody work on the ol’ girl with such ease, She usually kick or bite.”

Dimi smirked as she hammered in the last nail. “Me and animals have an understanding of a sort. Isn't that right, beautiful?” Dimi scratched the donkey behind its ear. “Yeah, you are one good-looking donkey, aren’t you?”

Lisa held her head proudly since she were beautiful. Not that many appreciated her good donkey looks.

“I swear, its almost as if she understands what you tell her!” Arran paid Dimi and then returned the saddle with bottles of alcohol on Lisa’s back.

Dimi waved as the goblin and his donkey left. Having the magic talent of animal communication was quite nifty. And she unfortunately had plenty of time for work at the forge. She hadn’t had a fight in months since the disaster in the Highway Hippogryph. The only thing she had been hitting was metal in the forge and the sandbag.

Dimi folded her fingers behind her back and stretched her arms backward till she herd her neck crack. She then saw Amethyst the Dwarf come. Her ribbon filled beard had stains of food on it. “Hey, Dimi, are you- wait, you alone today?”

“Yep.” Dimi stretched her arms over her head, her fingers still folded. “Aura and Ivan asked me to hold the fort. Sorry, Am, we can’t eat dinner today, have some more work to do in the forge before I can eat.”

Amethyst tilted her head. “Why would they both leave?”

“Heck if I know. Aura had to get some tools for the birds. But Ivan decided to go with her, told me that he would surprise me, whatever that means. Oh, BTW...” Dimi went inside the forge and returned with a funnel-like object made of steel. “Your mom ordered one of these.”

Amethyst adjusted the lamp made with the funnel and a light crystal so it glowed directly at the tiny gears that her mother were trying to fit into the pocket watch she was making. Agate had tied her beard in two braids and then attached them to the shoulder area of her blouse so no hair would get in her way while working.

“Mom... you think Aura is pregnant?”

Agate dropped a gear on the floor. “Arrg, DANGIT!” Agate took off her goggles and got down on the floor. “Get the lamp in my direction so I can see. And what in the mud-titan’s name are you talking about?”

“I don’t know... Dimi just told me her folks left to Onyxville and won’t be back till tomorrow. Seems like they have to do something important that takes a while and they didn’t tell her what. So maybe they are worried that Aura is pregnant or something and need a specia-.”

“Oh, please. AHA!” Agate carefully picked up the little piece of metal with her fingertips. “Aura is way past forty. She and Ivan don’t plan on making a family.”

Amethyst shrugged as she pointed the light toward the work table to let her mom continue working. “She’s not that old. And maybe they didn’t plan it, it just happened.”

“Look, this is ridicules.” Agate adjusted her goggles and put on the lens. “AND it’s gossip. I raised you better than that, young lady.”

“- would be a disaster, a kid would run circles around two parents in their fifties.” Agate sat on a worn chair inside Sunmut’s kitchen. The old wrinkly satyr looked at his new pocket watch while the dwarf lady took a cup of water.

“Well, I had my son Leif when I was fifty-two, but me and me wife, may the forests bless her soul, had two kids who could help take care of him. And Aura has her overgrown pigeons to take care of, what would she do is she had to take a break for nine months?” Sunmut closed the lid on the watch. “Not to mention the gene mashup...”

“Sweet titan, I didn't think of that!” Agate’s eyes grew wide. “What sort of kid would they even have?”

The old goat man slapped his forehead. “Why did I say that... Look, it’s probably non of our business. Look at us two, gossiping like a pair of harpies.”

Agate sighed. “You are right. I’m sorry, I’m so ashamed.” The dwarf rolled her eyes at herself.

None of them had noticed the gnome cleaning the window.

Thirty minutes later...

"So, you heard about that winged lion-lady who lives outside town with those weird lion-bird monsters?” Greg the Goblin was taking a bite from his tuna sandwich. He always ate his dinner at Agwa’s tavern. Sure, it cost him more to eat out, but he preferred to throw some extra coronets so he didn’t have to bother making food and cleaning up afterwards.

Agwa the Fairy was cleaning the counter with a rag that was about as big as herself. “Her name is Aura, she is a sphinx and those are called griffins.” The tiny dragonfly-woman cleaned her forehead and sat on the tiny chair placed on the counter as she looked at the goblin. “Heard what, exactly?”

“One of my mates, a gnome, he told me he overheard the nutty dwarf Agate talk about, ah, Aura is gonna give birth to some sort of mutant monster-cow baby.”

Agwa squinted her big gem-like eyes. “Say what again?”

“That’s just what happens when you make a mix you shouldn’t make, know what I mean? A minotaur and a whatchamacallit-”

“Sphinx.”

“Right, that. Her and that bull blacksmith went to Onyxville, very hush-hush. They won’t be back in Jadedale till at least tomorrow. That don’t sound to good, eh?”

Agwa the Fairy ran a small tavern with two bedrooms. A traveling merchant needed a place to sleep now and then, but it was not exactly a business that made her rich. But being a fairy had it’s advantages. Being so tiny and cute meant creatures easily grew to like her, even trusted her with gossip and occasionally secrets. Information could be worth a couple of coronets.

Especially this piece of information. One of her best paying clients from Onyxville wanted to know if there were bruisers who needed quick cash. But the client had told Aqwa that she very much wanted to know when she could have a word with the human Ivan the Minotaur had living with him.

Aqwa smiled as she flew from the table in order to fetch a mug from a self and poured beer into it from the keg. “Greg, how about a drink on the house?”

The sun was about to go down, coloring the sky orange. Dimi had finished feeding the griffins and provided them new hay. Her ability to talk to animals made it easier to let her get into the stables. She was about to close shop till she heard the sound of wheels. She spotted a carriage, not one pulled by a horse, but by a... well, it LOOKED like a griffin, but it had the lion parts should be were instead horse parts. It looked strange, but at the same time... impressive. Around it’s neck was a collar with red gem-stones. Even compared to that of a normal griffin that was impressive already. The coachwoman was a goblin who was bald as an egg and dressed in a dark-blue jacket. The jacket was worn and kinda dirty, which was very eye-catching since the carriage was blank, black and with red wheels. It probably costed a fortune to whoever owned it.

Dimi soon noticed who she would guess was the one owning the carriage as the woman stepped out. She was dressed in a fur coat that was cream colored. She had white... skin? Dimi was unsure if that was what it was called when it was a gorgon. And this was clearly a gorgon since she was wearing a pair of pitch black shades and had snakes for hair, each snake wearing a collar of gold. The many snake heads studies Dimi when they noticed her and blew raspberries at her. The gorgon looked at her driver. “So this is the only blacksmith in the area?”

“Yup. Sorry, boss.” The goblin sniffed as she cleaned her nose with the back of her sleeve.

“You there!” The gorgon pointed at Dimi. “You in charge of this joint?”

“Ah... Yes.” Dimi nodded, she felt a bit on the spot talking to this gorgon who was clearly of wealth. “Yes, madam. How can I help you?”

The gorgon noticed that Dimi looked her straight in the eyes instead of staring at her feet like most creatures who were not very trusting of gorgons. The snake lady had to resist the urge to grin.

This was gonna be easier than she thought.

“Well, kid, I’m going to a pretty important event, see? So I gotta look my best. But fat chance I do if my favorite bracelet is turned to scrap.” The gorgon took a bracelet from one of the pockets that was bended out of shape. “Think you can fix it?”

“That shouldn’t be a problem.” Dimi took the jewelry and studied it for a second. She took a glance at the snake-lady’s wrist and then unbended it with her bare hands. “You are lucky, it was nothing too complicated, I can do this in a... AH! Done.” Dimi gave the bracelet back to the gorgon who grinned as she slid her left hand through it so it was located around her wrist.

“Impressive.” The gorgon looked at her jewelry that was as good as new. Then she took a glance at the human girl’s arms. “You are pretty strong, eh?”

Dimi smiled and shrugged. “Comes with the profession”

The gorgon offered her hand. “Name’s Veronica.”

Dimi shook Veronica the Gorgon’s hand. “Dimi. It’s a pleasure, madam.”

“Woah now.” Veronica waved a finger. “Only creatures who works for me calls me stuff like madam. You did me a solid, kid.” She bared her sharp teeth in a smile. “Say, maybe you could do me another favor?”

“What do you need fixed?”

“Na, noting like that. I just figure...” Veronica poked a finger at one of Dimi’s arms. “With a fine set of those... you ever boxed? Or at least been in a fight?” Veronica laughed. “You must have knocked a skull or two, eh?”

Dimi blushed. “Well... I used to. Couple of fights in the Highway Hippogryph. But it’s been a while-”

“Then maybe you could fight for me?”

Dimi blinked twice. “What?”

“Say, this could be a serious discussion. You mind inviting me inside so we can talk business?”

"WE ARE IN HELL!!!”Aura moaned as she stood in a long line with Ivan.

“You don’t have to wait with me here.” Ivan patted Aura on the shoulder. “You could-”

“To stand by your side, for better or worse.” Aura’s tail swung impatiently as her wings itched. “That’s what we promised each other when we got wed. And this very much counts as worse! The Nesredna post office is as slow as-”

“Ah, shaddap lady!” The harpy with the traits of an eagle that stood in front of her in the line turned her head and gave Aura an annoyed glare. “We all hate being here, so stop-”

“No, you shut up!” Aura growled at the bird creature.

“Aura, please. Everyone here are irritated.” Ivan sighed as he clapped his wife on the shoulder. “There’s only five more creatures in front of us, it will soon be our turn.” The minotaur took in a deep breath, he was annoyed and tired as well. But he had to send this letter.

Aura rolled her eyes and tapped the floor with the claws on her feet. She hated the post office with a burning passion. “You think this friend of yours would help Dimi?”

Ivan shrugged. “Daisy is not exactly thrilled about humans. But she is my friend, only one I have left from my, ah... fight days.” Ivan had to stop himself from making a leap of joy as the line got one creature shorter. “You know, I do think we could make it to the last wagon home, we might not have to waste money for a room in an inn. Then again...” Ivan slid his hand from Aura’s should down her back. “Could be kinda fun.”

Aura grinned as she leaned her head against Ivan’s shoulder. “You don’t say?”

The eagle harpy glared at them. “Degenerates.”

“YOU’RE a degenerate!” Aura’s eyes flashed as she bared her teeth.

Ivan sighed. He wondered if Dimi was taking advantage of having the house for herself, but came to conclusion that she was a responsible young lady.

Dimi led her guest into the kitchen and offered the gorgon a seat. “Would you like some water? Tea?”

“No thanks.” Veronica took off her coat and hanged it on the back of the chair. She was dressed in a very exotic attire that Dimi had seen creatures from the east be dressed in. This dress was blue, shiny and had some sort of flower pattern. Veronica’s arms were bare with the exception of jewlry around her arms and wrist. The skirt of the dress only covered half of her upper legs. Veronica took a cigar out of her leather-bag that she was carrying around her shoulder. “You mind if I smoke?”

“Ah, no. Not at all.” Dimi went to the shelf and found a bowl made of stone that she hoped could be used as ashtray.

Veronica stroke a match, lighting up the end of her cigar as she sucked and exhaled smoke. “Got extras. You want one?”

“Oh, no. I’m good, thanks.” Dimi felt a bit flattered being asked, as if the woman saw her as an actual adult. The smell of the smoke was pretty strong, but Dimi didn’t want to admit it bothered her.

“So, as I was saying...” Veronica leaned back on the chair she sat on as she crossed her legs. “I arrange a couple of fights for young boxers. Gotta tell you right away, it ain’t nothing fancy. But there’s money to be made for a scrapper like yourself. And I’m in a pickle, see, one of my fighters got sick and I need a replacement, know what I’m saying?”

Dimi couldn't believe her luck. “When would you need me?”

“Tonight.”

“Oh...” Dimi looked disappointed. “My, ah, trainer is out of town, I can’t get him-”

“Hey, fuhgeddaboudit.” Veronica grinned as she held her stogie to her lips. “A corner guy will be provided for you. See, these fights... well, they are a bit exclusive-like, see? We have to be discrete.”

Dimi raised an eyebrow. “Discrete?” The human girl knew that the sorts of fight establishment Veronica was talking about was the underground sort.

The gorgon took a couple of satisfied puffs. “Hey now, that ain’t a problem for you, ain’t it?” Her snakes looked at Dimi, each of them blowing raspberries at her.

Dimi shrugged. “I’m not sure-”

“Especially since we are talking about five-thousand coronets.”

Dimi blinked twice. “Five-thousand?”

“Sure. You don’t even gotta win, all I ask is that you come and give my fine audience a good show.”

Dimi knew that Ivan didn’t like underground boxing... but he wasn’t home and wouldn’t be back before tomorrow. Dimi smirked. She would go, fight, get home and rest before Ivan and Aura would come home, and they wouldn’t have to know she made five grand in just one night. And even if he did, then she would prefer to ask for forgiveness than permission. “Okay, deal.”

“Shake on it, kid.” Veronica offered her right hand as she with the left ground her cigar in the stone bowl. “But we gotta go now. I will give you a lift, go get your gloves and I will meet you at my carriage.”

Dimi left in haste to get her gear. She couldn’t believe her luck.

If she had been a little smarter, she wouldn’t have believed it.

Veronica left a piece of folded paper she had prepared at the makeshift ashtray. She snickered. “Like stealing candy from a hatchling.”

The ride in the carriage had been awkward for Dimi. She sat on the seat opposed to Veronica who just looked at her and smirked. The heads of her snake-hair could’t smile, But Dimi felt like they did. Dimi’s stomach was tying knots on itself and it made whatever little bump on the road feel freighting. The human girl held a firm grip on her sack with clothes and gloves, that somehow made her feel a little as ease.

“Relax.” Veronica took a small hip flask and took a sip. “Enjoy the ride. Admire the view.”

Dimi looked out of the window. It wasn’t completely dark yet and she noticed they were on their way toward a large house. After getting a better look as they got closer, Dimi could see that it was not a house but a warehouse It looked like it was in poor shape.

“It was used to build wagons once. Told ya, nothing fancy.” Veronica knew what Dimi was looking at. “But lots of space, and it is not too close to... well, uninvited guests who might tattle.”

Dimi didn’t answer. The ride had given Dimi time to think and it had made her realize something, something that made her... uneasy about Veronica. Or rather, about the horse-griffin that pulled the wagon. But she decided to keep it to herself since she did not wish to be rude to the lady who had given her an opportunity as well as a ride.

Dimi heard the crack of a whip and the wagon stopped. She took her bag and stepped outside. Torches had been placed around the huge building. She saw wagons and other creatures entering the building.

“Once you enter the front gate, there is a small door to your right.” Veronica pointed at the direction Dimi needed to go. “It will lead you to some stares. Go down and you will get to the changing room. Tell them you are here to replace Stud who got sick. And just push your way through the creatures, no need to be polite. Remember, door to your right, not left, or you would go down the locker where your opponent is, and that would be awkward, know what I’m saying? And hey...” Veronica tapped Dimi on the shoulder. “Good luck against Green Plague.”

Dimi raised an eyebrow. “Green Plague?”

“Just his performer name, don’t worry about it. He is just like any other orc... Maybe a bit rougher.” Veronica laughed.

Dimi blinked.

Dimi walked toward the front gate, trying to make her way though the many creatures who went the same way. She took one final glance at the part-horse griffin. She really didn’t like how defeatist it looked and how it took commands from the goblin who drove the wagon. The whip said goblin held made her uneasy as well. But she decided not to say anything since she really wanted this gig.

Once she had walked away, Veronica looked at her driver. “ Corny.”

“Yeah, boss?” The goblin replied.

“Get to the locker and tell Stud that I said he got sick.”

Corny nodded and disappeared in a puff of smoke. Veronica snickered as she walked to the front door. The creatures who had formed a line as they waited for the bouncer to let them inside noticed the gorgon who hosted this event and they all got out of her way since no one wanted to be hindrance in THIS creature’s path.

Before going to the locker, Dimi took a quick glance at the big room where a boxing ring was placed in the middle and saw the many creatures who gathered around it. It made her feel pretty excited to have that many creatures watch her fight. She also noticed a few young creatures in either skirts or tight pants dealing out pieces of paper in exchange for coins.

She reached for the doorknob, but the door was opened and a black male minotaur walked out of the door. He looked pissed and had a bag like Dimi’s over his shoulder as he marched away while mumbling something in frustration. Dimi noticed that he had his hands wrapped as if he was suppose to wear a pair of boxing gloves.

Going through the door and down the stairs, Dimi noticed a smell that got stronger the farther down she got. It smelled like sweat and... something else she couldn’t put her finger on.

She took a glance at the locker room... though you could hardly call it that. The room was illuminated by a few light crystals and there were some shelves attacked to the walls. At the end of the room, Dimi could see one of those paper curtain thingies called a shoji screen, she had seen a shop in Onyxville sell them, thought she had not been sure what they were meant to be used for.

Inside the room was red-feathered parrot-type harpy white tank-top who was bobbing and jabbing an invisible opponent. On a bench sat two dwarves, a young one with flat light red hair, the other one was bald and had a black beard with a lot of grey in it. The older dwarf helped the young one getting a pair of boxing gloves on. All three of these creatures stopped what they were doing and looked at Dimi.

“Who the hell are you?” The parrot-harpy asked.

“I’m, ah... I’m here to replace...” Dimi blushed as she for a second forgot the name. “Um... Stud. I'm here to replace Stud.”

The harpy tilted her head as she looked at Dimi. Then, she went back to punching the air.

“Well, you better get changed. I will come back for you later.” The old dwarf said as he then patted the red-haired dwarf on the shoulder. “Let’s go, Biff.”

Dimi watched the two dwarves climb the stairs and then looked around the room. She went behind the paper screen and undressed and put on her fight clothes. She filled her bag with her regular clothes and selected an empty shelf to put it on. Dimi then decided to follow the harpy’s example and warm up, even if her shadowboxing was rather clumsy compared to hers.

“First time fighting here?” The harpy asked as she threw an uppercut. “I’m Sweeper by the by.”

“Dimi. And I fought at least fifteen fights. Won all them.” Dimi tried to act as if she dodged a jap.

“Not what I meant. This your first underground fight?” Sweeper cracked her neck as she bounced on the toes of her talon feet.

“Yeah. So?” Dimi made a couple of quick punches of the stomach area of her imaginary opponent. She heard a distant roar from above her, probably the crowd watching the fight upstairs.

“You do realize that this event here is no game, right? You get inside that ring, it’s war.”

“I boxed before-”

“Not like this, stupid. A lot of creatures came tonight, not to watch a sport, but to see two shmucks try to turn each other to bloody pudding. And you can bet on the other fighter being ready to give our fine audience the show they expect. It’s you or him. Get what I’m saying?”

Dimi tried her best not to show how uncomfortable she were being told this by Sweeper. She had realized this would be different from her fights in the Highway Hippogryph, but being told how intense this was gonna be kinda freaked her out.

But then she recalled the five-thousand coronets she had been promised.

And that Green Plague was an orc.

“Sure, I get it.” Dimi returned to warming up.

“Fine, don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Sweeper kept shadowboxing. “Hey, anyone told you that its damn weird that a human box?”

Dimi snickered. “Yeah, I get that a lot.” She then realized that she had yet to wrap her hands in bandages. She got them from her bag as well as her gloves and began wrapping. She paused as she herd another earth-shacking roar of approval from upstairs.

“Want me to do that?” Sweeper asked.

Dimi accepted the offer. Sweeper took the bandages and finished what Dimi started. The parrot-harpy looked at the human. “So, what brings you here? Girl like you with fifteen wins should fight pro, not end down here. Just curious.”

Dimi shrugged. “Well, ah... I’m a human. Guess I’m hard to sell, right?”

Sweeper squinted her right eye in disbelieve as she had tied the bandage around Dimi’s wrist three times and then wrapped it around her hand. “I would think it would be the other way around.”

“Off the bench, make room.”

Dimi and Sweeper looked up. The older dwarf was helping Biff down the stairs. The young dwarf looked like hell. He was humping and his face was bleeding. The older dwarf helped him lie down on the bench. “ You can go home once you feel better. Oh!” The older dwarf patted Biff on the shoulder. “You can come get your money tomorrow, the usual place.”

Biff groaned as his arms hang down and touched the floor.

“Welp.” The dwarf turned toward Dimi. “You’re up, human.”

“Good luck.” Sweeper patted Dimi on the should who just nodded.

“Shouldn’t someone get him a healer?” Dimi asked after getting her fight gloves on.

“Eh, he will be fine.” The black-bearded dwarf said as they walked up the stairs. “You got a name?”

“Dimi.”

“They call me Sticky. Ever fought an orc before?”

“No.”

“Their skin is tough, so body-shots aren’t that effective. Go for the head.”

Reaching the top of the stairs and opening the door, Dimi and Sticky was meat by a thundering applaud.

Someone was speaking to the audience through a rune-enchanted megaphone. “-as exotic as a human fighter. She has won twenty-five fights, twenty-two of them by knockout. Give it up for Dimi the Human!”

Dimi and Sticky walked past a mix of minotaurs, satyrs and other creatures as they made their way to the ring. The creatures either sat on folding chairs or stood up around the ring, booing and clapping at her.

“I didn’t win twenty-five fights by knockouts.” Dimi hissed at Sticky as he split the ropes to allow her to get in the ring.

“The folks who came tonight don’t gotta know that. Get on a knee, would ya?” Sticky waited for Dimi to lower herself so he could stick a mouth guard into her face.

As Dimi got up again and moved her legs as if she were dancing to make them ready, she finally got a look at her opponent. He was big, like Clarabelle were. There were tusks that stuck out from his lower lip. His hair had been collected in a bun... or ponytail, Dimi was unsure what it was called, but it made him look even tougher. He smacked his gloves together and glared at Dimi.

Dimi cracked her neck. “Yeah, screw you, too.” she mumbled as she walked to the center of the ring.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thanks, I'll read this once I get the chance.

ZZGrizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@waezi2: did you create this on your own. If so you can probably pitch this as a manga or comic.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzgrizz said:

@waezi2: did you create this on your own. If so you can probably pitch this as a manga or comic.

I did. If interested, I can give you a master post wit all the chapters

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers