Radioactive Spider-Man: Beginnings so small...

Avatar image for ultimate_magneto
Ultimate Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ultimate Magneto

All Spider-Man™ characters and their likenesses portrayed in this fan fiction are copyright owned by Marvel Comics, Stan Lee, Deadpool, and Chuck Norris because they said so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning!!! This will contain some mild-medium language, drug use, action violence and some mild sexual situations (though nothing graphic or explicit in any way, shape or form.) I would rate this as about an FR-15 to FR-18, especially if characters like Carnage, Green Goblin and a few others rear their ugly (yet cool) heads in the story at a later time. So, I suppose I'll slap an FR-18 rating on it for safety's sake. You have been warned!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the public warning is out of the way I can get down to the important stuff. I know I'm new here and I know this probably isn't the best writing ever, but I'm a huge fan of Web-head, even more than Magneto (though only by this much. *Suspends a small magnet in mid-air*) and I've got my own little "versions" of characters always running around my head. They usually, though not all the time look like the Ultimate versions, act and talk like the 616 versions and have totally different situations that are unique and completely made up from the deep cracks of my cranium. It all really got kicked off when I was roll playing and trying to come up with one that would really get some solid story telling in, but also be familiar in my eyes. I created a role play called "Superior Race" which was based on the X-Men and was set in an alternate reality to the mainstream versions.

In a nutshell, it stands as my longest lasting and most engrossing role play and while it's had many stops due to real life affecting myself or one of my "co-writers", it stands as a great peice of amatuer writing and has taken a special place in my memory. I finally hit a point where I said, "Why not Spider-Man!? How could I make it an effective role play, though? Only one person can be the star, the hero, unlike X-Men where there are plenty of slots for side characters." I didn't go with it, but ended up deciding it be best to make it a solo written story and here I am. It's still very early in it's development, but I know it'll take great form just like Superior Race did. So, without a moment to spare, (bedtime, important trip in the morning) I present "Radioactive Spider-Man!" an alternate reality with the same endearing message; With great power, comes great responsibility."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

============================================
Spin us a web. Chapter 1: Beginnings so small. Prologue.
================================================

Let me ask you something. If you could fly to the moon, melt steel with your eyes and bend a car with your bare hands, what would you do with the power? Beat up your annoying neighbor? Make millions of bucks? Get the girl? Or save the day? Why not do it all? I really never gave that question much thought when I was young, when I was naive. All I ever wanted was to be treated with a bit of common decency, a bit of respect. I guess life had other plans for me. Life with my family was pretty easy-going, we had a decent amount of money, a nice house in New York and most of all we had each other. Sure, we had our moments, but for the most part we were as happy as any other family could be. My two little twin sisters, Jessica and Marie were barely old enough to talk, let alone get into a fight over, but even though I never felt like I was being shoved out of the limelight, one thing was positive - My father was barely around for any of us, especially once he started working for Trask Industries. He was a brilliant man when it came to mechanical creations, wonderful ideas always popping into his head and once that happened he was barely in this reality it seemed. I can still remember that look of utter amazement in his eyes and yet, nothing I said or did, nothing mother said or did seemed to catch his attention.

I always had an interest for the fascinating wonders of the world, like when I was ten and started to fool around with magnets, trying to get one to float by magnetic repulsion. Then at the age of 12 I tried to make a potato power up a light bulb. Good times. Wish I could have them back. Two weeks before my 13th birthday, I was spending the night over at my friend's place when our house was set on fire. I never even got to say goodbye to them, never got to show them what I was going to be when I grew up. After a few days of spending time at my friend's place out of the kindness of her parents' hearts, I was placed in the care of my aunt and uncle of whom both I knew fairly well, but was not used to staying with. At first it felt odd spending some much time there, but they were great guardians, no doubt about it. Very giving, very protective and always willing to do something with me. School, however, was a completely different story. I was the nerd, the bookworm, a geek. A guy that wasn't nearly as cool as everyone else there, especially the quarterback of Bayville High, Flash Thompson.

Yep, life wasn't so good back then, but it definitely had some perks. Liz Allen seemed like one of them too, the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, and the only girl I had ever even considered asking out. I still remember when I was 15 and finally had the nerve to ask her. She'd been with her fair share of guys, most were the popular types, like Harry Osborn and Warren Worthington III, but I wasn't going to let that stand in my way. I was so nervous when I approached her and said " Hey, Liz. W-Would you like to.. Go, out some time? For a drink or something?" And of course I'll NEVER forget that disgusted look on her face when she said "Get lost." After that my self-esteem went spiraling downward, and it didn't really help when I got a spitball shot at me. Some people laughed, some picked on me directly and a very few actually cared, though they didn't do anything themselves, they'd just get picked on as well. I sat down and heard someone lean over to me, a guy named Dominic. He said, "Why do you let them pick on you like that?" I shrugged and didn't say another word for the rest of the school day.

Some time passed and I was sticking around, even though I was constantly getting picked on, so I tried being "cool" by smoking. I was so nervous and it didn't even feel good to inhale the stuff, but if I could somehow fit in and get Liz's attention then it'd be worth it. It worked, sorta.. "Come and meet me and my friends in the boy's bathroom in 15." I felt like I was dreaming, did she actually speak to me in a good way? I was curious as to what they were going to do and then... "Just take this, lay it on the piece of glass and snort it. Simple." She said, handing it to me. I suddenly felt sick to the stomach and my hand started shaking from anxiety. *What am I doing?* I thought to myself. *It's wrong. What if I get caught? Ben and May will be soooo mad.* "Uhm, I-I." "Come on, bookworm, you wanted to be somebody, right?" One boy asked me. Another boy, Dominic asked, "If you don't want to then have a sip of this at least, good stuff."

I then ran into the stall and puked my lunch out, the "in group" laughing at how much of a chicken I was. "What's the matter? Mommy's PB&J not settling down right? Come on, Parker, don't be such a baby." I had had enough and ran off, Liz shouting, "He's gonna rat on us!" I probably should have, but I was too afraid after Flash threatened to rearrange my face. I never spoke with any of them after that, but I can tell you they made sure every moment I spent there was a living hell after that. I mean at first I was just another geek in glasses that was easy pickings, but now I was a wuss that could snitch on them. Big problem for me. Though I did better when I avoided them at every cost. At home things were pretty good even when the bill collectors were ganging up at the door. One thing I realize now is that back then, even though I had my aunt and uncle, I had no one to talk to like when I was really young and started filling the blank spots. I started talking out loud almost as if I was speaking with someone. It was a cause for concern when aunt May walked in on me having a conversation with myself out loud, though I was able to convince her I was just practicing a poem.

I also developed something of a smart mouth from hanging around kids at school and my uncle Ben, who was notorious for wise cracking. My aunt told us "You two better watch your mouthes before I rip those lips of yours off and boil them!" then she laughed warmly at my uncle making a crack about that being how they make hotdogs, well, half of what they made them with. "Ben Parker! Watch your language in front of a child!" Ben rose an eyebrow and said "I'm certain the young lad hears worse at school," he then leaned near me "isn't that right, Pete?" I snickered at the little nudge he gave me and whispered "So true." "Now, how has school been for you, Peter?" May was the inquisitive one and even though I wanted to tell her how much I was picked on, I just felt it wasn't worth the trouble. "Pretty good, May, how's home life been to you with the old fart?" I asked jokingly. Ben shot his head my way and refuted "I beg your pardon! I am NOT old, I'm just getting more handsome, like look at these glasses for example. Has nothing to do with poor eye sight, it's all to attract the ladies." He gave a big smile and winked at May. She nearly blushed. I stuck my finger in my mouth in the typical "gag me" sign. "Well I've gotta go, big science trip today at the university." They waved me fair well and then I was off to the place where my world would be turned upside-down.

To be continued...

=================================
Chapter I: Part I: The bookworm.
==================================

"Hey now you take care, okay!?" My uncle Ben always said that before I left for any long period of time, like school, though I never told them about some of the stupid things I had done. I almost had taken drugs just to get with a girl I liked, but thinking back on it now I should have known better than to try and hook up with her, she didn't even like me. I think it's what a doctor would label "co-dependency disorder" or something like that. I was trying too hard to fill the hole that losing my family left. What I didn't know then was, it was going to get worse, much much worse. "Hey, Liz? Maybe I could take some pictures of you at the science expo?" Liz looked at me and said, "So you can have some picture of me and be like a creepy stalker? No way, creep." "Strike 3 loser, you're out." Flash taunted as he sat next to Liz. "Why not look for someone more your type? Like the lunch lady!" Laughter ensued.

Another glorious day as Peter Parker, another glorious day of being picked on and yet more false hope in my foolish mind. Why I bothered even asking her when I knew what the response would be I don't know why, but I was certain that if I tried just a bit harder, maybe did something that not even Flash would do I could snag her. "Alright everyone, take your seats we've got a tight schedule." I sat down only to hear a whoopy cushion make that infamous noise, more laughter following after. I pulled it out from under me and threw it on the floor in embarrassment and frustration. Then after that, someone shot a spitball on the back of my neck. "Give me that back!" A girl's voice cried out. I turned around and saw Jill Stacy, another nerd in my class getting harassed by Ned Leeds and Kong, a couple of Flash's lackeys and friends of Liz's. Kong was pretty decent sized and had a big girth, shaved head and a slight goatee going. Typical skater apparel from head to toe. Leeds wore all black with a hint of green and purple, with a hoodie of the same color scheme. Both utter jerks.

I figured, "Why should I get involved?" It's not like I could've done anything to those two, plus I didn't think Liz would really be thrilled if I went against some of her friends, that and the fact Flash would've stepped in no doubt and mashed my face into the floor. "I said sit down!" Hollered the bus driver, "We've got a tight schedule and I don't need it screwed by you punk kids!" he finished. "Yeah, sure, whatever man." Leeds was short and bitter sweet about it, handing Jill her book back and taking their seats. Kong sat down and saw me looking and said, "Whaddya lookin' at, punk?" I quickly turned my head around and looked at my book once more, trying to shake the image of my groin being rammed against a flag pole by those idiots. Soon we were on our way to the expo and I was on a one-way trip with fate.

Once there, we all stepped out and stood in a line next to the bus and were given strict instructions by the teacher that we are to stick together and remain quiet at all times and only speak when asking an important question, answering a question or something else that is important. Some of us were decent enough to nod our heads and even respond with a "yes", but most weren't and just rolled their eyes or mumbled incoherently. I asked, "May I take pictures for the school?" "Sure, as long as they're fine with it then no problem." I prepared my digital camera which had cost me most of my allowance, but was well worth it. I could get plenty of quick snap shots and just erase what I didn't like, then put it on a computer and then stick it wherever on the school paper.

We stepped inside the building, a company working on Trask Industries behalf, though not necessarily very high tech in security like Trask Industries, probably because most of their funds went into research. They had some guards here and there, but overall it seemed pretty light. I was astounded by all of the machinery and scientific studies being conducted here, my mouth perpetually agape from astonishment. "Try not to faint or shit your pants, Parker, I mean I know how much of a loser you are and all, but this isn't something to get turned on by." Flash joked. I squinted my eyes at him and said, "Listen Flash, I know you have no life to be taking time to pick on people half your size, but you could at least TRY and do a halfway decent job of ACTING like you want to get out of kindergarten." The next thing I saw was him smacking my camera out of my hands and calling me something I'd rather not remember. "HEY!" I shouted as I tried to catch it before it hit the concrete. "Be quiet you two!" snapped our teacher. Luckily, it wasn't broken and Flash was over toying with me and was acting like nothing even happened, the jerk. I stood up and resumed taking shots of the place, one or two of the scientists, another here and there of what they were showing us, then plenty of the intriguing bits of machinery.

Of particular interest was the intriguing models of future projects the company had planned; A humanoid looking machine. "What's that?" I asked pointing at the model. "Oh that? That's currently on hold, but it's called at this time, a 'sentinel' and would be the future for armies and law enforcement." Kong leaned in close to my ear and said, "Don't worry buddy, I'm sure they're working on a girl sentinel for you to make love to." I was fuming after that comment, but still somehow managed to keep my mouth shut. "Are there any other big plans that Trask Industries has in the future?" My questions coming to my mind just like that, I was filled to the gills with curiosity and I couldn't get enough. The woman answering all of my questions smiled and said, "Now this is what I like, I real scientist in the making." I took it as a compliment and thanked her, getting a random "gag me" look from some of the other classmates. Thankfully the teacher finally stepped in and brought some of the kids to his attention, having a word with them on manners. It wasn't going to do much to stop them from acting like jerks, but at least it bought me some time to hear my answer and ask another question. "Well, we have a few projects that I'm not allowed to disclose at this time, but one I can tell you about is a serum that will revolutionize how we live, a special concoction that will give new found abilities and dexterity to our soldiers, to firemen and police officers. But that's all I can say right now. Any other questions, Mr?" "Uh, Parker. Peter Parker." I answered quickly with more questions bound up inside.

The teacher alerted me as to how little time we had for 20 questions, "Sorry Parker, but we don't have enough time to be asking all these questions, let's continue on with the tour. Everyone this way." "Too bad, I think you were starting to get the hots for that scientist, Parker." Flash quipped as he started walking away with Liz's arm wrapped around his, both giggling at his constant jokes. "You know something Flash!? One of these days you're gonna get a rude awakening!" Flash turned and met with me, eye to eye with sheer disbelief in his eyes. "You all of a sudden think you're 'bad', don't you Parker?" He asked rhetorically. "I just don't wanna put up with you anymore, Flash. All I want to do is just enjoy myself and you have to spoil it, don't you?" He nodded in response and said, "Of course, especially when you try to horn in on my girl all of the time!" He said out of anger. "Can you blame a guy for trying, I see her flirt with other guys all of the time." Flash shot his eyes my way and said, "You'd best take that back before I pound you into the ground you little son of a" - "Excuse me, what's going on over here? I do believe I said let's continue. Anything wrong?" He asked with a stern look aimed at Flash. "No, no problem at all, teach. Let's go fellas." He said reluctantly, grumbling and slightly jerking Liz off with him. It hurt him deep inside, it really did, because he knew it was true. Regardless of whether I knew if she would be steady with a guy or not, I did know she only cared about what Flash could give her financially and physically. The teacher smiled at me, moving his arm to put his hand on my shoulder. He nodded in approval of my not lifting a finger against Thompson and said, "Come on Pete, let's keep going, just ignore what ever those guys might say or do to you and remember that I'll be here to help you if you need it."

"Thank you, Mr. Robertson. I really appreciate that." "No problem, Pete, now let's get going." All the while there was a fourth party watching us, a sinister creature with many eyes hiding in the shadows making no sound, visibly unnoticeable to most. It peered out of the shadows silently and suspended itself upon it's thread, lowering ever closer to my face. I turned around for one brief moment and missed it just barely, still unaware of the thing's existence. As they say, ignorance is bliss. The spider, that dreaded spider that changed my whole life fell into my partially opened backpack and I didn't even notice it. "Just wanted to take one last picture for the paper, Mr. Robertson." I said innocently as I turned back and ran to join him and the group again. Inside the spider was remaining perfectly still, frozen either with fear or patiently awaiting it's chance to attack. It was relatively small, no bigger than a human thumb and could have been easily crushed by some of the books I had in there, but somehow, some way it managed to survive. My worries didn't really start with that spider though, no not in the least, it actually began with a couple of men just in the next room we were heading into. We all stepped in and suddenly, two men jumped out from behind the group and slammed the doors shut and latched them, trapping all of us including the scientists in the room.

"PUT YOUR HANDS UP AND GET DOWN!" A shotgun toting man yelled, his faced covered by a clown mask and wearing primarily navy blue sweats and white tennis shoes. On the other side of the room was a man in cream colored cargo pants, a dark brown jacket and what appeared to be a green shirt of some kind underneath, his face covered by a bandanna and wearing glasses to help prevent anyone from seeing his eyes. They had us all kneel down and keep our faces to the floor, no one allowed to move or speak. I was sweating just from the sheer sound of their voices as they threatened to blow away the first foolhardy kid that tried to take them by surprise. The man in the mask quickly activated a bomb that blew an air-tight, highly secure metal door down and quickly ran in there, a siren being set off and the police, no doubt going to be on their way very soon. "Hurry up, man! The cops will be here any minute!" The guy in glasses yelled while waving his pistol around at us, making us even more nervous. He noticed me looking up slightly and pointed his gun directly at me, demanding I lay back down before blowing my head off. I obliged him and heard his partner making his way back out of the room they had breached, carrying some bag in his hand, what was in it I had no idea, but it had to have been something valuable for certain, maybe a weapon of some kind. I took this brief moment to look around and noticed that there was no guards in sight, no bodies, no captured men, just the two crooks. Was this an inside job? Before I knew it they were running out another door and out of sight, everyone slowly standing back up. "Is-Is it safe?" Jill Stacy asked slowly out of fear. Our teacher, Joseph Robertson nodded and said, "I think so, but let's all get out of here as quickly as possible!"

We all left quickly, yet slow enough so we didn't trample anybody or get trampled ourselves. My mind was buzzing with thoughts on what it was that they had stolen, who they were and how they had so easily gotten in without anyone noticing. We were directed by a couple of personnel in the building towards the exits and out of the building ultimately, then from there our teacher Mr. Robertson told us all to get back in the bus. "Man, I can't wait to get back and tell my folks about what I just saw!" Kong said in astonishment. I grabbed my backpack and set it down on the floor, zipping it up the rest of the way. "Whoops, hope I didn't lose anything." I thought out loud. "Like what? Your Tampons?" Leeds cracked from behind me. "Shove a sock in it, Ned, leave Parker alone." Jill snapped out of nowhere, defending me, defending ME! I was completely surprised by that random act of kindness, how she so bravely stood up for me. Another boy, a black kid by the name of Lucas also backed me up. "Chill out man, you're being so not cool with that language! Think you're so tough? Why not come and get some from me while you're at it?" He was a pretty physically inclined young kid, played basketball on the high school team. Leeds sat down and grunted at us as if we weren't worth his time. Jill sat down next to me and said, "You're okay to me, Pete, don't let those jerks make you think otherwise. You don't have to be losers like them to be considered 'cool', you just have to be who you are and show that you care for other people." She gave a comforting smile that made me feel oddly happy, at peace even. "Thanks Jill, I needed to hear that. Maybe I've been trying too hard lately." I had completely forgotten about the robbery and felt like I was on air, then, we were at a stop. "Uhm, well I guess I should be going now. Take care and don't get robbed by guys in cheesy clown masks." I jokingly warned her.

I was home, early at that, the trip was the only real thing on the schedule for today, but since it ended in a mess we were allowed home. Uncle Ben and aunt May were surprised to see me home so early and began questioning me. "A ROBBERY!?" My aunt May was one of the most overprotective women I knew and when something serious actually happened, it was like the world was ending. "Yeah, at least two guys with guns. We were all held up in a room that had all sorts of expensive equipment in it, but they took something small enough to fit into a sack and got out fast enough. Pretty fast job, don't know if the cops got them, but if it's alright with you both, could I go and do a bit of research on my computer?" They both looked at each other and then back at me and nodded with smiles on their faces, then Ben asked, "Was anyone hurt?" "Nope, not one person. I'll be down in about an hour, have some important biology tests to study for." I went upstairs and into my room, closing the door behind me and untying my left shoe's laces. I set my backpack down on the floor next to my computer table and booted it up, unzipping it and sitting down in my chair. I flung my left shoe off and watched it land next to my closet where I usually laid them, which oddly enough was where I usually left my clothes too. Began to work on my right shoe, multitasking with my left hand going into my backpack, then... "OOOWWW!" I yanked my hand out and saw a small bug go flying over my head. "My hand!!" I exclaimed in pain. I stood up and looked to where I saw it go, lying next to my TV table. I ran over to it and saw it leap erratically towards me. I reacted with quick, accurate precision and squashed it with my right shoe which was still on. "Got ya!" I declared in victory.

"My hand... Why does it itch and burn so much? Was that think poisonous? What kind of spider is it anyway?" I wasn't too knowledgeable on spiders myself, though I knew a bit about the Black Window and the Funnel Web spider. "I guess I'll go wash it and.. And... Uhm.. OW! MY HEAD!! Like a knife turning in my skull!" The pain soon subsided and the itchy feeling was nearly gone as well, though it still had a burning feeling on and around the bite. And what a bite it was, it was already swollen. "Man, I think I need to let uncle Ben know about this." It was just then when I felt nauseas and ran into my bathroom, puking out my breakfast. It left a strange burning feeling in my throat and my vision started fogging up. I took my glasses off and it was worse without them and it was getting worse by the minute. I stumbled out of the bathroom and fell on my bed, slowly falling unconscious. It felt like the room was spinning and I began to ache horribly again. "Wha... what's... hap.. pening?" All went black as did the horrendous ailment and I was off to dreamland.

*To be continued*

slyther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By slyther

cool story cant wait for the next part

Avatar image for vlad_tepes_dracula
Vlad Tepes Dracula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice.

Ultimate Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ultimate Magneto

Hey, thanks! I had started to think no one liked it and was never going to respond. Maybe it's because it's such a long read. >.< I'll be sure to continue it, also co-writing a story with a friend of mine role playing style as well as still working in the X-Men story, so I can be a bit tied up. I already have more typed up, so here it is.

=====================================
Chapter 1: Part 2: Awakening.
=======================================

Darkness had covered my consciousness as the spider's poison ran through my veins, the dream world coming into view. I was standing on my old house's porch reading an old Superman comic book, having finished my homework a while ago. "Whatcha reading, Peter?" My father asked, stepping out from the house onto the back porch with me. He was fairly tall from what I remember, dark brown hair, receding hairline, relatively skinny and almost always wearing those glasses of his. "Reading Superman." He reached out and asked for the comic, I handed it to him and he flipped through it a bit. "You know, I used to think these things were just fantastic nonsense, but I've seen some pretty crazy things lately on television. Just the other day I read about some tanker truck getting flung a few yards by someone just waving their hands." I looked at my dad and queried, "I thought you told me not to believe everything I saw on TV?" He smiled and knew I was right, but he explained, "Well, I normally wouldn't believe everything I hear or see on the TV, but sometimes there is just too much evidence to argue the facts. I've even seen some of these crazy things." Suddenly, the image of my father disappeared in a flash of light and a burning sensation overcame me. The light softened and as I moved my hand away from my eyes I could see him ablaze, smiling as if he was happy. I hollered, "DADDY!!!" as he was seemingly pulled deeper into the flames and swallowed whole. I ran towards the raging fire and dove into it, suddenly falling into a black and cold abyss. "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!" After the loud and girlish scream there was an oppressive silence, an eerie feeling falling over me. Suddenly, I stood over my two baby sisters and stared at them silently. They both began to melt as if made of wax as the feeling of burning fire in my throat returned, despite the feeling of the rest of my body being a popsicle.

I heard my mother's voice calling out to me, "Peter, time for bed!" I was standing in front of my bed which was also aflame, my mother caring me suddenly as I was the size of a toddler and setting me down in the fire. Then, my mother was covered in spiders that were webbing her up and pulling her up to the ceiling. I cried out for my aunt and uncle, but did not see them anywhere. I could hear them, however, calling from a distance as I heard my door fly open. There I saw my in a dark outfit wearing a clown mask and throwing something at myself. I couldn't move and whatever the object was, hit me in the face and knocked me down. I was lying face down on the ground and felt something crawling up my back, underneath my shirt and what felt like I hand grabbing my shoulder tightly and yanking me up and then, the sensation of falling stories downward. By then I was starting to wake up with multiple beads of sweat running down my head. The pain and discomfort had subsided, but my heart was still pounding from the dream. I heard my door open and May's head popped in with a look of concern etched on her face. "Are you alright, Peter?" I stammered for a moment and said, "Yeah, I'm fine, just fell asleep and had a nightmare. Guess I had more of an adventurous day than I had thought, but I'm okay." I don't know why I didn't tell her about the spider, maybe it had something to do with how I felt so good all of a sudden. "Peter, you've been asleep for a few hours and your supper has already gone cold. Would you like me to bring it up to you?" She asked. "Nah, I'm find, May, I'll come down in a bit and warm some up myself." She smiled as her nerves were put at rest at the sight of me being fine. She really didn't need to worry about me as much as she did since she had terrible heart trouble.

"OK, once you're ready it will be warmed up in the microwave. Don't be too long, dear." She shut the door as she finished her sentence, leaving me to my privacy. I stood up real quick and ran over to where the spider had been squashed, nothing. "Wh-where'd it go?" I asked out loud, shooting my head every which way trying to find it. My light was off and it was getting dark outside, so I ran to the switch and lit the room up, still bolting my eyes from one spot to another. I ran to my bed and lifted the dangling covers up and peered underneath, almost like looking for the proverbial monster under my bed. "Where are you little guy?" I stood up and looked on the walls and the ceiling and still nothing, then realized where it last was. *Got ya!* The memory was sharp and crystal clear as I lifted my right foot and held it with my hands, seeing the flattened pest lifelessly stuck to my tennis shoe. "Well you didn't get very far while I was out." I plucked it off and walked to my computer desk where I had a microscope set up, placing it under it's lens so I could exam the little turd. At first sight it was hard to make any of it out since it was mashed worse than my aunt May's potatoes, but what I could tell was it was oozing something. "It has a strange black goo oozing out of it that almost... Glows.. What the heck does that mean?" I stood up from the microscope and walked over to my bookcase where I had some books on various subjects. "No, no, no, NO! Nothing on spiders at all, guess I'll have to take a trip to the library later. That and take what's left of my little pal to someone who might know a bit about it."

"OW! AAUUUGH!!" Suddenly my stomach was thrown into a writhing pain, almost like a sharp muscle spasm. I felt it flex on it's own and curl inward like something was eating away at it, then felt it tremble a few more moments, then my entire body went into the same routine. My arms twitched, my legs went into a spasm and everything locked up. It hurt so bad I couldn't even let out a cry for help, it was just too much for me to bare. And then it finally subsided with a pleasant tingle going throughout my body with no explanation or left over feeling of pain. I laid on the floor for a moment or two trying to just relax and regain my breath that I had lost from panting so much, then I felt.. Good.. Great... I whipped like legs upward and flung myself on to my feet like an acrobat or a ninja would. "Did I just do that?" I looked at my body and pulled my jacket and shirt off because I felt something different about my body. "WHERE'D THAT COME FROM!?!" My arms were still small, but they weren't boney anymore, they had muscles, actual muscles on them! "Whoa!" I exclaimed as I flexed it in front of my mirror. I must have been in at least 10 different poses before I started checking other limbs. "MY LEGS! WOW!" I stepped back in an open part of my room and was just barely able to do a backflip, but I had never been able to do 10 squats before my legs felt like spaghetti and yet I had done a backflip. "This is incredible!" I put my shirt back on and started thinking a mile a minute. "What do I do? I mean it's obvious that spider had something to do with this, but if I were to tell someone about this then I'd be someone else's science project, that and I don't think anyone would really believe me... I.. I guess I just do my homework on this spidey and figure out what's so special about it... And I hope that if anything else happens it doesn't start with another full body charley horse. I've gotta do my research on this thing!"

I bolted out of my room and down the stairs with a strange, loose feeling in my legs like I had spent a year stretching them or something. I reached the bottom of the stairs and hopped over the last bit of the banister and landed with a very light thump, barely loud enough for anyone more than a few feet away to hear. Aunt May had noticed me break an age old house rule and walked up to me. "Peter, you know better than to do something like that." "Sorry, May, I was just in a real hurry and didn't really think about it. Sorry again." She looked down on me with a slight smile, her extremely forgiving nature showing through once more. I quickly walked into the kitchen, grabbed my food and went upstairs, but was stopped for one moment by May. "Well you're welcome!" I turned and said, "Oh, thanks!" then made my way up the steps and into my bedroom, shutting and locking the door so as not to be disturbed. "Well I never." May said out of astonishment of my rude behavior. Sitting myself in front of my computer I began to make some web searches for spiders of varying species, I also brought up another tab for Yahoo.Answers and submitted a question; "Strange spider in my bedroom bit me." was the title of the question, the actual post read "I was going through my backpack and was bitten by a strange spider, I felt sickly, but am okay now. It is no bigger than a thumb or US quarter, it is black in color with no red hourglass symbol visible on it. However, it did have red spots all over it. I crushed it with my shoe. Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this was?" - Signed Teter_Totter314

I spent the next hour sifting through websites talking about spider species and symptoms or even benefits of spider bites, which I didn't expect to find such a thing. I saw I had 3 answers to my question, the first one read "lol get a bandaid and be a man rofl!!" the second "That sounds terrible! Go see a doctor right away, you could be in real danger. It sounds like it might be a black widow of some type as there are many different ones, but I might be wrong. Take care and God bless!" and the third read "..." In other words, little to no help, but I decided to look at Black Widow species and their variations. "Peter! Come down here for a minute, please!" My uncle Ben hollered from downstairs. "Coming!" I bolted downstairs, realizing that I was still wearing my right shoe which was also semi-untied.. Boy, what happened next left my uncle in shock. "Yea-WHOA!" was all I could really get out as I tripped on my shoe laces and started falling downward. I grabbed on to the wall with my right hand, bent my legs and lifted them slightly and actually stopped myself with just my right hand, but how? I felt like I was almost sticking to the wall. "PETER! Are you alright!?" Ben asked out of fear and concern. "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Just tripped that's all. Whatcha want?" I said as I slammed my feet back on the ground. I wondered if he had seen that, but he didn't seem to have. "I wanted to know why you haven't done any of your chores around the house since you've been back?" A look of embarrassment etched across my face as I held the back of my head. "Uhm... Oops?" was all I could say as he squinted his eyes. Aunt May came bolting into the room as fast as she could and asked, "What was that!? Is Peter fine?" She asked frantically having heard a few loud thuds. "Calm down, May, Peter is fine, he just tried going down the stairs a bit too fast. And didn't you aunt May tell you a while ago to not to monkey around the stairs like this?" "Uhm, sorry, what was it I didn't do?" "Why are you being so short with us too? Did something happen today that's bothering you, Petey?" "No uncle, I'm just really, well, busy studying and I don't want to be late with this report."

They looked at each other and then back at me as if I were acting strangely, which I guess I was. "Why don't you just take a moment to breathe deeply, focus and then do those chores real fast, okay? It won't hurt anything to just do that stuff in what? Ten or fifteen minutes?" I didn't want to waste time researching this thing, but, what could I do about it? "Yes uncle Ben, sure thing." I sounded less than enthusiastic, but what could I do other than bide my time until I could get that spider to someone who could study it. I decided to think about who I wanted to show this to whilst working. After some thought I realized the best man to turn to, Dr. Curt Connors.

*To be continued*

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Very Nice job.

Ultimate Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ultimate Magneto
TheDrifter said:

Very Nice job.

Thanks, Drifter, I'm working on the next part as we speak. I try to think things through before committing it to text, and it seems to be getting good results. Thanks for the positive comments guys, but does anyone have something more to say about it? Constructive comments are welcome, just don't hurt my feelings. XD
Ultimate Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ultimate Magneto

Sorry it took so long to get out, lots of things have been happening. Working faster now.

===========================
Chapter 1: Part 3: Tough guy.
=============================

I had spent most of the night secretly experimenting with my new-found agility which was seemingly getting better by the hour, occasionally getting a sort of "growing pain" in my stomach or chest, but once it would pass I would feel a bit better than before. After school was out, I went to Dr. Connors, who was almost always in his lab working on some crazy project. It was even easier for him to get something off the ground once he was working with Stark Industries financial backing. He was a great scientist, but wasn't much of a family man, though to his credit I think he hated missing out on watching his son grow up and somewhat, felt like only half of the man he was without his wife by his side all of the time. And despite his great intellectual mind, I think he may have had emotional problems. He'd served in the army late in the Vietnam war, just barely at the age of 18 and had lost his right arm due to it. Aside from these personality issues, he was one of the nicest men I had ever had the privilege of being taught by in his class at the high school, and definitely the one man I could turn to with any serious question. "I want you to ID this little pest for me, Dr. Connors." He reached out with his arm and took the jar that had the spider in it, managing to unscrew the jar and dump the specimen with his only hand. It was pretty neat watching him do it so effortlessly, but I guess living most of your life with one hand you can get used to it, sorta.

He looked at it through a magnifying glass and said the typical scientist jargon "Hmm, curious." After a few more moments he asked, "What's this black secretion?" I shrugged, giving him the best answer I could provide "Beats me." Not really an answer, but what else could I tell him? "Maybe he had too much black liquorish?" Connors rolled his eyes at the horrible pun and placed a small sample of the black goo under a microscope. "Where'd you find this odd specimen?" He asked right away. "Oh, I uh, found it in my yard, looked like someone had squashed it. Looked strange and I didn't quite know what species it was." Connors looked up at me from the microscope and said, "And you thought I'd be the best person to look into it, right?" I nodded with a smile. "Well, it'll take me a day or so to gather any data on it, but I'll be sure to give you a call if I get anything. What's your phone number?" He asked me. "247-7103." I waved him goodbye and wished him luck, I was off to conduct experiments of my own. "I've never felt so damn good in my entire life!" I said out loud, hopping into the air and kicking my legs out, astonished by how agile I had become. I landed perfectly on my feet and continued down the hall and out the door. I knew some people could see me, but I liked the fact I was getting some positive attention for a change. As I made my way out the door I thought, "Time to experiment."

I walked outside and looked around me, breathing in the air and thinking about what to do. I looked to my right and saw the track for the runners and thought it'd be a great place to practice, running that way and literally flying over the fence in my way. I ran onto the track and ran as fast as I could, my legs speeding up faster and faster until I could feel a wonderful rush of air in my face. I jumped over the first three obstacles in one leap and landed flawlessly on my feet and didn't even break my stride. If that spider did cause this, where did it come from? How could it have done all of this? After about a few minutes of what felt like mere warming up, I performed a few cartwheels, somersaults and backflips which evidently got the attention of a few people that were nearby, namely Flash Thompson and his cronies. They approached as did I, showing a slight hint of cockiness in my face. "What's up, Flash?" I asked with an attitude. "Think you're hot stuff 'cause you can jump here and there? Doesn't change the fact you're a nerd and a loser and don't even THINK about trying to get into Liz's pants, you retarded clown." I rose my eyebrows and replied, "My, my, what an attitude for someone that's SO confident about his superiority, eh? Do you really think I could snag her? Thanks for the compliment." A snide smile crept across my face as I started to make my way around Flash, only to have him stop me. "Listen piss ant, I just don't want to have see you bother my girl, you're not a real threat, you're just an annoyance." I nodded and said, "Then I guess you can stop contradicting yourself with threats of bodily harm if I try anything, kay?" I moved my hand up to pat him on the shoulder and it was then that I was suddenly struck with a strange feeling, it was like a light tingle in my face and a strange feeling to move, fast. I didn't even think about it, I just reacted and moved my head back quickly and it was then I realized I just dodged a cheap shot to the noggin.

"Problem, Flash? Touch-me-not? Think you got cooties now?" "I'm going to send you flying back into the stone age!" I quipped, "I'm surprised you could even remember what it was called, and just to clarify we ARE talking about the time period The Flintstones are set in, right?" He started wildly throwing punches,  EACH punch I seemingly could "feel" coming before they were even half way there. I was dodging each shot at me so easily, so effortlessly. Flash was getting more and more frustrated with each miss that he was throwing haymakers blindly. "Toro!" I shouted as I performed a limbo worthy move. "You get an A for effort, Flash, I'll give you that much!" "STAND STILL!" He hollered violently. "Oooh, monkey having a temper tantrum?" It went on like this for what felt like an hour, but it ended all too soon. I fowled up and stumbled, not able to dodge the last shot to my chin which sent me on my rump. "OOMPH!" Flash then tackled me and began beating my face in with at least ten punches before I could defend myself. I didn't quite know what to do, it was all happening so fast and the "warning sign" I was experiencing wasn't lightening up either, even though it was obvious I was in danger. I lifted my legs up which were pinned down under Flash's weight, and yet, he felt weightless when I was actually trying to lift him up. He tumbled forward and rolled away from me, allowing me time to seize the advantage and get back to my feet. He should have broken my nose, but oddly I didn't feel all that badly banged up. One or two of his punches didn't even register as being painful, granted my brain was shook up by the force of the blows. I stood up and felt completely steady and ready for more.

"Parker's a freak!" Ned bellowed as Kong charged me from behind. "On my six." I mumbled to myself as I twirled to the right, dodging Kong perfectly and then running towards Leeds, whom chickened out and ran off. "What's the matter with you, Ned!?! He's just a twerp!" Thompson yelled, getting back on his feet and approaching me. "You're gonna pay for that." He boasted. I stood there and waited for him to get just a wee bit closer and noticed that during the fight, a small crowd of other kids had formed around the race track. "Great, now everyone will see me beat your ass into the dirt, Parker." He ran towards me and threw a punch which I caught with my hand, squeezing it tightly. He yelped in pain, "OOWW!!! MY HAND! MY #@^% !& HAND!" I don't know why I did what I did after this, but I know I'll regret it for the rest of my life. I threw a punch, not hard mind you, but strong enough that it sent Flash into the ground and wincing in pain. To me it felt like I barely jabbed him, but he flew back like I was Jackie Chan kicking him or something. "Whoooaaa..." I stopped to think about what I had just done and whether I should try and maybe help him up, but I saw him looking up at me with one heck of a mean look. "You... are SO going to... pay for.. that." He was winded and it gave me a chance to run clear out of sight, so I decided to not do the stupid move of being polite to him. At least THAT I know I did right, Flash was the kind that would cheap shot you if he had the chance. "Uhm, see you later, Flash!" I shouted as I took off, sprinting as fast, no, faster than any pro-football or basketball player, faster than any mere track runner.

I went home on foot, too freaked out to face anyone in a school bus. Word gets around fast at school and no doubt half of the place knows about my fight with Flash, this also meant that more than likely that someone called my aunt and uncle. I was nearly home, but my mind was somewhere else. I had some sort of power and I needed to find a use for it, I needed answers, and I needed to find a way to make my mind stop running at the speed of light. So many random thoughts coming to my mind, some good, some bad, but it was all confusing. I felt like I was on drugs, a feeling of being high and at peace, excited and ready to take on the world, but I was so nervous too. I entered the house, unlocked as always since I was out to school. They never really bothered with locking the door until it was dark outside. "Peter? Is that you?" Aunt May called out to me. "Yeah!" I replied as I shut the door behind me, locking it. Next I heard my uncle's voice come from behind me, a stern sound in his voice, "I think we need to have a talk, Pete." Busted, big time. I slowly walked into the living room and saw May sitting in a chair, her arms crossed and an upset look upon her face. "Sit down, Peter, we need to talk to you." I looked back down at the floor and made my way to the couch, slumping down into the seat and keeping my eyes on the floor. "What is it?" I asked barely looking up at my aunt. Uncle Ben answered, "Oh, I think you know what about, Pete. We just got a call from the school, from Flash Thompson's parents stating you had beaten him up." My response was less than surreal, "WHAT!?! THAT'S BULL! I didn't beat him up, I defended myself AFTER he threw tons and tons of punches at me!!!!"

My uncle motioned his hand to silence me, explaining that, "We don't believe that you 'beat him up', but they DO have multiple witnesses putting you there in the fight and Flash has a broken hand and a bruise on his chest. Whether it was defense or not you know you're not suppose to break someone's hand, Peter. We've taught you better than this." I stood up and refuted "Taught me better than this!? You aren't my parents!" Uncle Ben raised his eyebrows and said, "No, we're not, but we're your guardians and we take care of you and have raised since you were brought to us, and I think you should be showing us a bit more respect." "Then stop trying to make me feel like defending myself is wrong. What should I have done!? Stand there and let the guy pulverize me or something!?" My aunt May answered, "I want you to sit down, Peter, this very instant and calm down." I sighed and slumped back onto the couch, awaiting what they'd say. "First off, how did this fight occur in the first place?" It was a question I had hoped he wouldn't ask, but he did and my response was a lie, "The guy was asking me to do drugs." Well, I guess it wasn't a TOTAL lie since his girlfriend and him both invited me in the bathroom way back and asked me, but... Oh God, why did I say this? My mind was racing so badly I couldn't think straight, plus I was starting to get another one of those 'growing pains' again, just not so bad this time... Lucky me.

"Pete, I'm proud of you that you'd turn that man down, but why would he attack you?" I placed my hands on my chest for a moment and slightly winced in pain from this strange ache, but quickly recovered and shook my head. "How should I know? The twerp, uhm, the guy just snapped on me. Flash is a bit of hothead from what I've seen." Uncle Ben sighed and gave it some thought, then stood up and said, "Now Pete, please don't talk like that to us again, it's not like you, actually you haven't been yourself at all today or yesterday... Maybe that event at the science expo shook you up more than you're willing to admit?" I nodded and went along with it, it was a great excuse even though it wasn't the real reason, but what was I to do? Tell them "I got bit by a spider, went into convulsion, blacked out and now am on a high and can do backflips like they're nothing? What next? Optic blasts out my ass? I stood up and gave him a hug and apologized for my extremely rude behavior, I swear I didn't even feel like myself when I did all of that, I just kinda, reacted. "Sorry, uncle Ben, sorry aunt May. I really am." I swear, I never was able to get them mad before, but they were very forgiving people and they couldn't stay mad at me, even if I had disrespected them. My aunt May spoke up first. "Peter, I'm certain once things settle down a bit in the house and in school everything will return to normal, we just need to stick together like a family." Ben looked at her and quipped, "Yeah, one big dysfunctional one, right?" Laughter ensued. Little did I know we were going to be more torn apart than any family could get.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Methos

damn...

i like your style man

M

Ultimate Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ultimate Magneto

================================
Chapter 1: Part 4: Family matters.
==================================

My uncle Ben had just finished another long phone call, more harassing bill collectors, we were getting extremely behind on the bills and had even spent a night a few days ago in the dark since we were a day late on the light bill. We had taken it as a opportunity to play in the dark and tell ghost stories, though I could tell just by looking at my aunt's face that she was scared. Uncle Ben spun a real good tale about a headless teacher that stole it's student's souls, ha, I swear I never laughed so hard in my life. But now the smiles and laughter was gone. "Ben? Who was that?" Aunt May asked nervously. "That was the bank calling about the house again, we only have half a month before they get this house back and I still haven't found a decent paying job." He sighed heavily and sat down in the chair next to the staircase, kicking his right leg over the left and placing his hands behind his head, looking up at the ceiling. "May, I'm a 52 year old man who can't hold a job and we might just lose our house... If we do" - "Don't you dare talk like that, Benjamin Parker, we'll get through this, just like we've done before." He looked at her and replied, "But we're not young anymore, we might throw our backs out and get feeble trying." They both gave slight snicker, but it quickly faded. "No May, I mean if we did lose the house where would we stay?" May shrugged and fumbled in her sentence, "I-I, oh, I don't know, but I can't bare to think of it. What would that mean for Peter's future?" Benjamin looked at a set of pictures hanging on a wall, one of Peter, then another of Ben's little brother Richard, Peter's father. "Richard always thought the boy had a knack for science, a passion for it even at a young age. I think Peter will do just fine as long as we stick together and keep going strong for just a bit longer, but what to do for work?"

I was eavesdropping from the staircase as the conversation unfolded, and it was very disheartening, not only what they were talking about but hearing about my father again. *He really thought that of me? Heh, guess I was more intrigued by science than even "I" thought.* I said in my head to myself. "Ben, maybe I should get some work? Perhaps by then we can have enough to help out." Uncle Ben stood up and hastily denied such an idea, "May, you're in no condition to be working. Our doctor said you have high blood pressure and your heart is in no condition for high amounts of stress." May kept a stiff upper lip and refuted his argument. "Ben, we need the money. We have to do something. If not work, then what?" she paused for a moment and looked at the floor, then back up to Ben when an idea came to her, "My jewelry!" Ben squinted his eyes and tilted his head, a look of confusion on his face when he asked, "Your jewelry? You can't seriously be suggesting" - "Yes, we can pawn off some of my jewelry." She interjected. Ben rolled his eyes a bit and sat back down in the chair, returning to his earlier position in the seat. He sighed heavily from the disappointing situation and told her that "It was your mother's jewelry, she wanted you to keep it, to pass it down the generations." May asked, "And who might that be? Peter certainly isn't going to have a use for necklaces, bracelets and earrings." Ben quipped, "Unless he becomes a cross dresser." "Oh, Ben! Please!" She requested, trying to hold back a laugh. I laughed myself, but was able to suppress it just enough so they didn't hear me. "Really, Ben, what use would it be to Peter? We never did have kids." Ben sighed and wanted to comment on that, but couldn't find the right words. They did have a baby, but she died 2 hours after birth due to a deformity in the her heart. The entire thing was tragic as one could easily assume, but they never tried ever again after that.

"Whatever happens, May, I'm going to be here for the both of you no matter what. I'd never let anything happen to you or Peter, you know that, Peter knows that. I love you both with all of my heart and soul." Ben said as he hugged his wife and gave her kiss, calming her nerves incredibly well. He was a master at that and from what May Parker always said to her friends, "An incredibly good kisser". They stopped, but held each other tightly and began to think deeply again as they were held close to one another, still hugging. "Oh Ben, I just can't handle this stress much longer." Ben put his hand over her lips and shushed her, giving her a kiss on the forehead and then giving one last assuring smile of comfort. "Go sit down, May, I'll make you some tea." She nodded and turned away to the living room, Ben watching her as she sat down in her favorite chair and watched outside the window at her small flower garden. I was wondering what was going on deep in Ben's mind while saying quietly to myself, "I know something terrible is going to happen, what I need to focus on right now is a way to either stop it or get around it somehow. Find a loophole, find a method of making money fast."

I crept back up the stairs the rest of the way and snuck into my room, shutting and locking the door to think in solitude. Sitting in me chair I thought, *It's not fair, Ben shouldn't have lost his old job at the construction company. He did nothing but favors for those scumbags and they repay him by canning him, laying him off like that. Now he's struggling since there's not a high demand for manual labor.. Well, that and all of the illegal immigrants coming in sucking up work.* I grumbled at the situation and knew about how the market was starting to go downhill fast. I hopped out of the chair and said out loud, "I've got an idea. Okay, we need money, I have these cool new skills. Right? Right! I can use them to make money by doing some stunts.. I'd get people's attention like how ice cream trucks reel in the kids. It'll be easy." With that, I grabbed my things and ran down the stairs. "Bye uncle Ben! Bye aunt May, got an important thing to do for a school project and I'll need the to study up on it library!"

Benjamin's eyes shot up from the cup of tea he was pouring and turned to his left where the shouting came from. A powerful slam shook the room and made both May's heart jump and Ben's hands jerk, causing him to spill the tea all over his shirt, pants and the floor. Ben mumbled some slight curses under his breath and set the tea down, fuming over how rude I was with leaving and slamming the door so hard. "Well Ben, I never!" May shouted in aggravation, only to get cut off by the sound of something hitting the hardwood floor. May stood up and walked towards where the sound had come from, being careful not to step on whatever it was. Soon she found it and was none too happy. It was a picture of May's grandparents, the frame broken and the glass shattered. "May!? What was that!?" Ben called out to her, finding her kneeling down to pick up the broken pieces of glass. He saw the picture, a picture taken a few years before May grandparents passed away. "Oh May... I'm.. I'm so sorry. I should have secured that nail and" - "It's not your fault." She interjected, sounding as if she was about to cry. Ben knelt down beside her and helped gather bits of glass, then carefully stood up and took them to the trash can. Popping the lid open with his foot on the lever, he dropped the glass in and closed the lid, but stopped there for one moment, just thinking. *Everything was fine once, even when I was young and life was out of control, it seemed more stable than this. Now I can barely get by bills, my wife is in terrible condition and getting worse.. Pff, now my nephew's hormones seem to be kicking in.*

His train of thought was derailed when he heard a strange noise come from the living room. "May? MAY!?" Ben saw May falling down to the floor, gripping her chest and writhing in pain, gasping and wincing as a terrible feeling pulsed throughout her upper chest and left arm. He ran as fast as he could and nearly fell to her side as he lifted her head to his lap. "May!? What's wrong?" Ben begged to know, scared by the mere sight of her in pain. "B-Ben. Ca-call th-" Every word was a battle to get out, every breath she took was another agonizing surge of pain. It was a wonder she able to speak at all. Ben wasted no time calling an ambulance, jumping up and rushing to the kitchen phone and dialing 911. All it took was one ring and someone answered, "HELLO!? I NEED AN AMBULANCE!" At that moment I was heading to my "true" destination. I read in the ads just yesterday that there was some sort of stunt gig and, with my newfound agility, I'd be a hit. How do I keep it a secret though? How do I keep it a secret? Easy. Got my hoodie on and all I need is a way to hide my face, hence a mask would be perfect. In light of this, I ran to the nearest store that I knew carried masks. "Hey. Lenny's junk shop should do the trick. He's always got a few masks lying around."

"Get her in the ambulance quickly, she's short of breath and looks like she's gettin' worse." A paramedic told his partner as he laid May on the stretcher carefully, yet swiftly, wasting no time at all to get her to proper medical care. "May, you're gonna be okay, do you hear me? You're gonna be fine!" Ben said, trying hard to not show fear, but failing terribly. Moving as fast as lightning, the paramedics rolled her to the ambulance and stopped just at the back entrance, lowering the stretcher and then lifting with their combined might to set her inside. Once she was pushed into the back and the first paramedic was jumping inside with her, he shouted "Okay, I got her! Let's get rollin'!" It was then that Ben tried to get in with May, but the paramedic told him that he wasn't permitted to ride along since he would get in the way. "I'm her husband, I go where she goes, no argument mister." "Sir, get back! We don't have time to argue." The paramedic said sternly, my uncle standing his ground and rebutting, "I don't care if God himself says so, you aren't splitting us up for the world." The medic in the driver's seat turned around and hollered, "Stop arguin' and let the man in!" The paramedic turned around with a slight look of frustration at my uncle's stubbornness, but let him in and quickly proceeded to watch over my aunt as they took off. Ben tried talking to her to ease her mind, "It's okay, honey. You're gonna be just fine. I'm gonna call the library and get ahold of Pete, he'll be over in a flash and when he makes it, it'll all be okay. You'll see." Her breathing had gotten short and she was not responding to his words, but it did at least him some good to speak to her like things would be okay, even if it looked hopeless.

I had gotten in and browsed for a few moments, looking at some of the masks Lenny had. "Hey, Peter. I see you're at ol' Lenny's humble abode again, eh?" He said from behind the counter. Lenny was a middle aged man, grey, thinning hair, cheesy hat, jacket and so on. He looked like a crooked car salesman to be honest, but he was a pretty nice guy. He rubbed his mustache slightly and asked, "Whatcha lookin' for this time, Peter? You don't come around often, but you always get somethin' interestin'." I set a mask down on the counter and replied, "This." He looked puzzled as he gazed at the cheap thing, a very, very bad Jason Voorhees knock-off. Turning his attention back up to me he asked, "That's it?" Nodding I said, "Yep, that's it." Lenny just looked at me with a suspicious look and added, "Well, it's just that I would have thought you'd get something a little more... Special?" I kind of laughed, but was short because I didn't want to come off as being up to something, but then he flat out asked me a question I knew was NOT the truth. "You ain't gonna be stealin' nothin', are you Peter? 'Cause I know how things are 'round here, kids get into gangs and into trouble all the time." He started, my response coming quickly, "OH NO, no no. I just want this for a little gag I'm going to pull on a couple of friends of mine." Lenny eyed me with a slight smirk, probably only half believing my lie, but I think it worked well enough. "Okay, 2 bucks for the mask, uncle Lenny's feeling a bit generous today." Uncle Lenny was what he loved to say, even though there's no relation whatsoever, he was still a nice old fella. He was concerned for me because he himself had spent a bad childhood, running little errands for the local thugs in town. He hated seeing kids now these days doing exactly what he used to do, but really, all I was going to do was secretly make some money for my family. "2 bucks? Really? The price tag says 6." Lenny smiled and quipped, "Don't evah look a gift horse in dah mouth."

"What do what have here!?" A doctor asked quickly. "Middle aged woman going into cardiac arrest, her heart has nearly stopped and she's not breathing!" The paramedic said with both multiple staff and my uncle trailing in behind, not wanting to leave her side. "Alright, get her to the ER and prep her, stat!" "May, honey, I'm here! Everything's gonna alright, the doctors will take care of you. Hold on just a bit longer, okay?" Uncle Ben said, tears starting to well up in his eyes. "Sir, please stay in the waiting room." The doctor said quickly and politely, rushing her into the next hallway and to the emergency room. Ben, while still wanting to tag along knew better and didn't put up a fight this time. He had come with her to the hospital and he felt that alone helped. "I.... I best call, Peter and let him know."

---To be continued---

talia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By talia

wow thats great realy good writing cant wait for the next part

Ultimate Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ultimate Magneto

=========================
Chapter 1: Part 5: Mistake.
===========================

"So Flint, ya got any 'good' news for me this time?" Herman Schultz asked his buddy, Flint Marko. "I can't really say for sure if we'll get away with it, man. The cops will be crawling all over the place the moment we do it." Flint said quietly to his partner and friend, making sure none of the dozens of citizens nearby overheard their plan. "I already told you, Flint, let ME worry about the cops, you just grab the dough like we planned earlier today. We didn't rip off high-tech equipment just to let it sit around doing nothin', did we? And let's keep this something we talk about in private, not here where everyone else can hear us." Flint slightly nodded his head, still unsure about the idea. It would be one heck of a robbery for sure, easily a few hundred grand, maybe more, a million even. Schultz had the whole thing planned out, he had all the necessary equipment, he had his two partners in crime, Flint and Abner Jenkins who was busy prepping some of the aforementioned high-tech gear. It was a big risk for all of them, but they had a few tricks up their sleeves.

Just then I was leaving the store with my newly bought mask, running down an alleyway to take a shortcut to the stunt show. I hoped they wouldn't need my name or something like that, since they didn't have any age restrictions nor did it require a set skill level, I felt that I could just walk in there and say "Okay, I'm next." and then do it. "I wonder if they WILL have a problem with me wearing a mask... I guess I can jus" - "Hey! Watch it, punk!" A man barked at me as we nearly collided. "Oh! Uhm, sorry about that. Guess I have a bit more on my mind than usual." I apologized to the man, his friend telling him to get a move on. The two men continued on, the man in the cream colored cargo pants and the green shirt, with a brown jacket looking oddly familiar. "Hey." I said to myself. I recognized the outfit, but not the face... Where had I seen that man before? The man grumbled something to himself, something that was too quiet for me to hear. "D@%$ kids these days, worried about pimples and how their report cards come out anymore." Flint said to his partner, Herman groaning back, "Can ya drop it already or what? $#!^ man, it's over with. The kid wasn't paying attention, NOT the end of the world." Flint nodded and rudely apologized, "Okay, okay, I get it. Sorry. How's Abner's work coming along?" Schultz smiled and said, "Fine, perfectly fine. We're gonna have a ball with the job. Got some nice big toys for us big boys." The two men started laughing a bit as they thought about the damage, and more importantly, the money they were going to make. I watched the two round a corner and shrugged the feeling of deja vu off and resumed my trip to the show. I guess a few backflips and a showing of "incredible" strength would be a great way to start the show off, then do something REALLY spectacular to wow the crowd.

At that moment my uncle Ben was calling me at where he "thought" I was at; The library. I didn't have a cell phone and this was one of those moments where it would have come in extremely handy, but life has never been on my side with anything, no matter what I was doing, no matter how much I tried to do right or get along in the world without hurting anyone else, something happened. Something was bound to blow up in my face. "Hello?" My uncle started, "Yes, I was wondering if a Peter Parker was there at the library. I need to talk to him, it's a family emergency." The woman on the other end of the phone replied, "Yes sir, one moment." Looking up from her desk she saw that there was only a small handful of people sitting in plain sight and quietly asked, "Is there a Peter Parker here?" Receiving a resounding "no" from everyone in sight, she then quickly checked throughout the rest of the main area for anyone browsing. Meanwhile, I was finally at the stunt show for anyone with gymnastic skills, and boy, did I ever have them. Speaking quietly to myself I said, "Hockey mask secured, hood up, everything important covered and no one can see that it's good ol' bookworm, the loser nobody wants to be around, and yet after this, I wouldn't be surprised if people start saying "OH, PETER! I'm your number one fan! Ooooooohhhh." and drool all over me." I let out a snicker from the thought and figured this would be one heck of an epic night, but it started oh so wrong. I asked the DJ, "Play something catchy while I perform maneuvers that would make a master kung fu ninja cry."

The announcer, a white guy that screamed "I wish I was black" with the clothing he was wearing stood up and put his mouth to the microphone, yelling in a terrible gangster voice, "Next up, ladies and gents, is a hockey masked mystery man from who knows where, and he has REFUSED to tell us his name. So, without further adieu, I present, MYSTERY MADMAN!" Just before stepping out into the light I thought to myself, *Mystery madman? That has to be the dumbest and dorkiest name I've ever heard.* I pointed at my mask and said, "It's because of the mask, isn't it!?" The DJ was obviously out to get me because, well, he might have taken my comment a little too seriously? The song started up and the first lyrics were, "Everybody was kung fu fighting! Those kids were fast as lightning!" With a heavy sigh and a facepalm I complained, "My God... This couldn't be any worse." I could already hear booing coming from the crowd and was starting to lose my nerve, but, I came this far, I had to do my part. If for no one else other than May and Ben. So I took one big gulp and started moving. First, I dove forward and rolled, then popped back to my feet. I heard a few quick mumbles, but nothing major yet. Making sure no one was behind me, I did a double backflip. I almost freaked myself out at how easy it was and hesitated, but soon continued. I spun around and popped up into the air with a quick flick of my feet. While in the air, I kicked my legs up into a mid-air split showing of this incredible flexibility that "I" didn't even know I had. Gravity pulled me down, but I landed on the palms of my hands perfectly and it was then that I showed off an incredible strength. Hand standing, finger push-ups, EASILY. My eyes bugged out as I did nearly ten in a few seconds, then experimented in front of the crowd and did one-handed push-ups nearly as easily as the others. Still not tired, just wanting to try something else I landed on my feet, ran towards a wall and ran up it slightly, twirling down to the ground like an expert acrobat.

"This man has mad skills!" I heard someone shout. "Bull! He's gotta be wearin' wires or sometin'!" Another tried to explain away my amazing feats of agility and strength. I didn't care since I was having too much fun just feeling like I could fly. *If I don't win a prize or something NOW, then I suppose they're waiting for me to start flying or something.* I thought to myself, doing one more dive just as the music ended and the crowd applauded me. I stood up and looked around, surprised so many people were impressed with my stunts, it was something I had never experienced before. People loved me! Not just family, people! Lots and lots! "Thank you!" I exclaimed happily. "No really! Thank you all very much!" I added. I hesitantly took a bow and walked out of the spotlight's beam and behind the scene where the man hosting the event was waiting. He was a bit wide around the waist, gray hair, cigar stuck in his mouth and a cheap suit on, looked like he was one of those seedy characters in a private eye movie. "That was quite the show, kid. You've got something special, somethin' REAL special. I want to see you tomorrow night, 7:00 sharp for another stunt show with an amateur wrestler. It'll be great publicity for the two of ya. Make ya big stars..." I slowly waved my hand and said, "Well, I mean, it's not that it's a bad offer, but I don't really go in this stuff for JUST the fame." He interjected quickly with, "Oh no, there's money in it fer ya. Just like tonight's show. You earned the prize in my book, kid. Here." Like a hot potato, he dropped 300 bucks in my hand like that. "It ain't much, kid, but tomorrow, you'll make a $&!# ton more money.. I promise." After a moment of thinking about it I nodded and said, "Okay, I'm in." The man smiled and said, "Good to hear it, kid, now get on home and get some rest for tomorrow." I smiled and was ecstatic and could barely contain the energy inside of me. I jumped up into the air with my money filled fist high up yelling, "YEAH! GOLDEN!" and then walked out.

"I'm sorry sir, but there is no Peter Parker here. Are you certain this is where he was supposed to be?" The librarian asked uncle Ben. "Yes, but thanks anyway for trying." Ben said with concern in his voice, hanging the phone up and returning to his seat. He groaned as he sat down, his left knee aching. He kept in shape for a man of his age, but even that wasn't enough some times. His knee had recently started showing signs of age creeping up on it and the pain had increased since aunt May was taken to the hospital, probably stress eating at Ben. He loved her more than anything in the whole world, there was no doubt about that. He sat there for a few moments in silence, praying to God that May would survive and trying to keep a positive attitude when all of a sudden, an African American man about Ben's age was sitting next to him. His hair was nearly gone and what remained was gray, his face showing wrinkles already coming about. "You look like a man with a load on your mind. Loved one in there?" He asked, my uncle Ben turning his head to the left to meet eye-to-eye with this man. "Huh? Oh... Yes. My wife, she had a heart attack and she looked really bad, I don't know if she'll.... Make it or not." He wasn't one for crying, but he was trying hard to fight off a tear, lowering his head in sadness and fear. He admitted that he didn't want to cry, that he was afraid to show that he was weak.

"I've never been weak, but lately I've really failed as a husband and guardian." The man sitting next to him patted him on the back and said, "My wife's in surgery, tumor in her brain. She's been fighting that and cancer for quite some time now, we both came to grips that she might pass on, but that doesn't mean she stopped fighting or that I stopped lovin' her. You see, when two people love each other like that, they don't simply just part ways when one of them dies, in fact, it takes a lot before one of them does leave. Even then, a little, a little piece of them just... Sticks around and it never leaves your side, not even for one bit. I know what you must be going through, a heart attack can be sudden, but don't think that crying is a sign of weakness, crying just shows how much you love someone, even when they're dying or gone. It's okay that you've messed up, that's just human, what makes it okay is that you admit it to yourself and to someone else. Now you hold on, your wife's gonna get through that just fine and you're gonna show her you care." The man smiled and turned his head to see that a doctor was stepping out and motioning for him to come forth. The man looked back at Ben and said, "And don't worry about being a guardian, I'm sure a caring man like yourself can teach a child a great many things. Well, nice talking with you." With that, the man disappeared into the room with the doctor, Ben sitting there contemplating all that this mysterious man had said. Ben said just barely above a whisper, "I do love her, I remember how it all began even, as clear as crystal."

To be continued...