ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Missed Last Issue? Check it out here!

Naomi screamed as the flickering lights revealed that her hand was in the mouth of a massive bat like Pokémon, blood dripping down its four fang like teeth. To add insult to injury, the glow of the crystal hadn’t been coming from within the mouth, but rather her been shining through the translucent flesh of the giant Pokémon. Backing off, she balled her fists and placed the PokeDex she had been holding on the floor. As she did the bat took to the air, its tiny eyes glowering at her as it stuck its tongue out and hissed at her, an orange aura bursting to life around its body.

“What is that?” Naomi gasped as Sesmitoad turned to face the gross Pokémon.

Golbat, the Bat Pokémon.” The PokeDex chimed from its place on the ground. “Golbat bites down on prey with its four fangs and drinks the victim’s blood. It becomes active on inky dark moonless nights, flying around to attack people and Pokémon.

#042 Golbat the Bat Pokemon, Poison/Flying Type
#042 Golbat the Bat Pokemon, Poison/Flying Type

“Okay Sesmitoad, let’s get this thing out the way and get out of here!” Naomi hissed. “Blast it with a Scald attack!!” She ordered as Sesmitoad spat out a torrent of burning water at the giant Golbat, only for its target to effortlessly dodge the attack before retaliating with an ear piercing screech that caused its enemy to recoil slightly. As the screech ended, a swarm of Zubat flew through the room, effectively separating the combatants for a few seconds before retreating save for a few brave individuals that hovered around the giant Golbat.

“Okay…” Naomi sighed, her wounds drowned out as the Zubat blasted Sesmitoad with a barrage of ultrasonic waves. “Sesmitoad shoot down those Zubat with Scald.” She ordered, as Sesmitoad shook its head and sprayed a torrent of water at the nearest Zubat, the spray knocking the bat to the floor. Turning on the second Zubat, Sesmitoad misfired, burning water spraying in its face and leaving a stinging welt on its flesh. Sensing the trouble Golbat swooped down towards Sesmitoad and sank its fangs into the frog like Pokémon’s back, blood flowing from the wounds.

“Shake it off!” Naomi ordered, as Sesmitoad bucked and thrashed in an attempt to dislodge Golbat, before with a crunch, the parasitic Pokémon disengaged, its top left fang broken in the attempt to feed on its victim. “Okay Ice Punch right into its jaw!” Naomi ordered, as Sesmitoad aimed a punch at Golbat. This time instead of dodging, Golbat flapped its wings and fired off a barrage of razor sharp hard-air discs at Sesmitoad, the ad-hoc projectiles striking its attacker and staggering it. Seconds later, the remaining Zubat dived on Sesmitoad, their fangs biting into its flesh, only to be knocked off by a brutal strike from its intended victim.

“It’s One on One again Sesmitoad, use Scald with a wide spread, make sure it has nowhere to dodge.” Naomi ordered. With a groan, Sesmitoad opened fire, this time spraying its attack from the sides of its mouth and hitting the entire width of the tank’s roof, the torrent penning Golbat in before striking it on the win. With another ear piercing scream Golbat dived into the fray and clamped its jaws around Sesmitoad’s arm, blood welling up from the bite wound.

“Seismitoad, use Ice Punch!” Naomi yelled. With a smirk Seismitoad drew its hand into a fist and slammed it towards Golbat, only to miss the attacking Pokémon and strike itself in the shoulder, the blow coupled with the blood loss sending it to its knees as Golbat once again took to the air.

“ol…ol…ol” Golbat snickered as it drew back its wings and flung another array of razor tipped discs at Sesmitoad. As they hit Naomi stepped forward and placed her hands on Sesmitoad’s shoulder whilst looking up defiantly at Golbat.

“You can do this Sesmitoad, I know you can.” Naomi whispered.

“Sesmi…TOAD!!” Sesmitoad bellowed as it got back to its feet and shook off the confusion that had been gripping it. Balling its hand into a fist, it slammed a blow into Golbat, sparks of energy hitting the bat Pokémon before discharging down Sesmitoad’s arm, its strength seemingly restored by the attack.

“What was that?” Naomi asked.

Drain Punch, a Fighting Type Attack. This attack damages the opponent and absorbs 50% of their health to heal the user.” The PokeDex explained, as Golbat looked shocked before dive bombed down towards Sesmitoad.

“Ice Punch it right in the mouth!” Naomi instructed. With a hiss Sesmitoad drew back its fist and slammed it into Golbat’s mouth, its target biting down with the remaining three fangs before its wings froze over. Releasing its opponent, Golbat flew out of the tank past Naomi, its feet grabbing her holdall as it headed towards the steps up into the control room. Grabbing her PokeDex and the crystal, Naomi gave chase, Sesmitoad following her as fast as it could move. Reaching the control room, Naomi spotted Thomas sitting on a chair waiting for her, Litten asleep on his lap, its feet twitching slightly as if it were dreaming. There at his feet was her holdall, Mimikyu’s head popping out of the zip.

“Mimikyu you’re okay!!” Naomi gasped, as Mimikyu popped out and scuttled towards her, the sound of its squeaking awaking Litten, the tiny fire-cat darting over to see her. “Where did Golbat go?” She asked, as Thomas got to his feet, a warm smile on his face.

“Golbat went out to gather some berries. It wanted to reward you for giving it a good battle, it’s been a while since we’ve fought another trainer on our level.” Thomas told her, as Magnemite popped out of the bag, and buzzed round his head. “Magnemite looks like it enjoyed fighting you too!” He added.

“Then those are your Pokémon!” Naomi gasped, as Magnemite landed on Thomas’s shoulder,

“They are, I’m afraid Golbat often jumps the gun when finishing a trial.” Thomas sighed, as Naomi placed the PokeDex back in her bag, before sitting on one of the chairs. “Normally Magnemite and Charjabug help me keep the power for the school running, whilst Golbat helps me find my way when the power is knocked out. We work together, but at one time I was the second strongest trainer on Mele Mele Island, only old Hala could eclipse me. Looks like he chose well when he gave you that Litten, it already likes you and that’s saying something for such a fickle species of Pokémon.”

“What does Grubbin do for you?” Naomi asked, as Grubbin slithered out of her bag and headed for the corner of the room.

“That Grubbin is a wild Pokémon, it must have burrowed into the substation looking for a safe place to call home.” Thomas stated, as Golbat swept through the door, a sack clenched in its feet, before dropping it onto Naomi’s holdall. “Ah this should help all the Pokémon that were injured in your evaluation.” He added, as he removed a handful of Oran Berries from the bag and handed three to Naomi before holding one out for Magnemite to eat.

“I didn’t realise.” Naomi gasped as she gave Mimikyu a berry to chew on, a shadowy claw slipping out from under its costume and dragging the piece of fruit inside. As she did, Sesmitoad stepped forward and nodded to Golbat, the totem Pokémon mirroring the sign of respect before taking their berries to eat.

“Huh your Sesmitoad is old I see.” Thomas announced as he watched Litten bat its Oran berry round the floor before pouncing on it and eating it. “As I said earlier, it’s been a while since Golbat had a battle against an equally strong foe.” He added, as Naomi removed a berry and walked over to Grubbin and placed the berry in-front of the worm like Pokémon. Hesitantly at first, Grubbin moved forward before sinking its mandibles into the food, quiet chirps of excitement sounding as it chowed down. “Huh incredible, wild Pokémon are generally untrustworthy of humans they don’t know, but that Grubbin seems to have taken to you very quickly.”

“It’s not the first time a wild Pokémon has befriended me.” Naomi replied, as Grubbin finished its berry, before chirping cutely, almost as if it was begging to be picked up. Rolling her eyes, Naomi slipped her arm under it, and watched as the larval Pokémon slithered up onto her shoulder. “Both Mimikyu and Sesmitoad are wild Pokémon too, I don’t understand why they instantly decided to trust me, I just know that I’m lucky to have…I don’t know a gift.”

“Hmm, you’re from Invictia right?” Thomas mused. “I suppose you know the story of the Man who was a Pokémon.”

“Vaguely, about 3000 years ago, at the time Kalos attacked its neighbours with some kind of super-weapon, an ancient Pokémon rose to power in Invictia. Fearing that its friends were danger, but also trusting of the humans who shared the nation with it, it turned the Pokémon it lived with into humans to escape the death that was coming to their shores.” Naomi told him, as Litten ran over to her and glowered up at Grubbin, before rubbing on its trainer’s legs in an attempt to get her to pick it up.

“Yes, that’s the story.” Thomas sighed. “Apparently these humans could still be seen as Pokémon by those who had survived the attack. Unfortunately the Pokémon who transformed them was killed in the conflict and they spent the rest of their days in human form, cut off from the world they had lived in. It’s said none of them could find a partner they were happy with, and instead lived alone in the wilderness, and only in death were their true forms restored.”

“You can’t think that I’m one of these Pokémon who became human.” Naomi spluttered as she shifted slightly, the force causing Grubbin to fall off of her shoulder and land on Litten, the two Pokémon spitting and cursing at each other before Mimikyu intervened and pushed the later away from the worm like creature it was getting ready to incinerate.

“It seems a little coincidental that you have abilities mentioned in story. But then it is just a story, its likely based on fact a little bit, but probably has been mutated by countless re-telling over the generations.” Thomas told her, as he got to his feet. “Anyway I have an evaluation to complete,” He sighed as he got to his feet. “I’ll let Old Hala and the Professor know as soon as I’ve reached my decision.”

“The Professor, I almost forgot!” Naomi gasped as she ran over to her bag and removed the PokeDex. “He wanted me to meet him down in Hau’oli City.” She added, as she slung her bag over her shoulder. “I have to go Thomas, come on guys we have to get moving.” She finished as she darted out of the substation, Litten, Mimikyu and Sesmitoad following her. As she left Thomas watched as a silk line shot out to the bag from Grubbin, and the little Pokémon reeled itself up to the bag before worming its way inside, seemingly unseen by anyone else.

“Good luck guys and stay safe.” Thomas muttered, before turning back to the footage he’d recorded on Naomi’s evaluation.

The soft lights of the early evening cityscape of Hau’oli City was broken by a series of angry red lights all concentrated like a swarm of angry flies around the Marina. Looking out along the wharf Professor Kukui shook his head as the harbour patrol shepherded a massive blue Pokémon into the mouth of the marina to block the entry, while a pair of Magnemite hung over the arrivals building where the suspected Pokémon smugglers had taken cover.

“Wailord is in position.” One of the Police Officers on the harbour patrol boat told the lead officer standing behind the barricade.

#320 Wailord the Float Whale Pokemon, Water Type
#320 Wailord the Float Whale Pokemon, Water Type

“Attention criminals, your escape route is blocked. Surrender and the Mele Mele Police Force will consider a reduced sentence for your crimes.” The Officer called through the bull horn that had been clipped to his waist. Seconds later a shower of glowing blue fireballs burst out of one of the windows and knocked the nearest Magnemite into the water. “Set up shields and get ready to move in.” The officer told his men, the Poke Balls in their hands bursting open to reveal a mix of small dog Pokémon with red and black bodies and large sword like Pokémon with a shield slung across the front of their blade like bodies. “Aegislash in front, Growlithe behind!” The Officer yelled, as his men and their Pokémon charged the building. Almost immediately the entrenched smugglers returned fire with more fireballs and sprays of water.

#681 Aegislash the Royal Sword Pokemon, Ghost/Steel Type
#681 Aegislash the Royal Sword Pokemon, Ghost/Steel Type

“Aegislash King’s Shield!” The Officer yelled, his command causing the Sword like Pokémon to glow blue and block the incoming attacks. “Smoke Ball’s at the ready!” He yelled as his officers threw projectiles into the building, a thick cloud of smoke escaping from under the door and the windows. “Growlithe move in and disarm!”

#058 Growlithe the Puppy Pokemon, Fire Type
#058 Growlithe the Puppy Pokemon, Fire Type

With a howl the puppy Pokémon charged into the building, small flashes of blue and red fire occurring before a weird cackling sound erupted from the building followed by a glint of blue light. Crawling out the Growlithe wobbled on their feet and fell onto their sides, their bodies shaking as if their feet had been caught by a mysterious dance that compelled them to keep moving to a beat that only they could here. Moving in behind the Aegislash, the Police Officers burst into the building just as the blue light and cackling occurred again, the men and their Pokémon emerging seconds later, their bodies convulsing in the same way as the Growlithe.

“What’s going on Professor?” The Police Officer with the bullhorn asked Professor Kukui as he stood against the barricade, the reserve officers dashing into the field of fire up to recover their stricken teammates and recall the Pokémon.

“It looks like Teeter Dance.” Kukui replied, his voice full of concern as Naomi pushed her way to the front. “Ah Naomi, you made it, I’m sad to say the Pokémon I was meant to receive from a college in Sinnoh is unobtainable at the moment. The smugglers behind the attacks on Iki Town and their Team Skull allies took the courier and some ferry passengers’ hostage in the ferry terminal.”

“Is there anything we can do to help?” Naomi asked, as the reserve officers returned, the feet of their colleges twitching as they passed through the crowd to the ambulances at the end of the pier.

“The Alola Police Force is not above taking help from experienced trainers, but this is a hostage crisis and we will not put the health of innocents at risk.” The Officer stated, as a Team Skull Grunt emerged and sent out a Rattata, the mouse Pokémon scuttling across the field of battle to where the barricade was. Bending down the Officer removed the letter and shook his head.

“What does it say?” Professor Kukui asked.

“They’ll release the human hostages.” The Officer sighed, his face grim. “But only if you trade places with them Professor.”

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#3 wildvine  Moderator

@impurestcheese: I like how you have Pokemon from all generations. People who don't know about the different gens might not care but it makes the world seem bigger to me, even while the story is localized.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Thanks that was the plan. Expect Characters and Pokemon from outside of Alola to appear in the story, starting next issue with the Wanderer

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

@impurestcheese: I dont know much about Pokemon, but it seems like you have captured the idea. I guess that it is meant to not be so serious?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@blueecho: Thanks for the comment and yes it's meant to be fun