Pariah Lafferty, Texas Ranger: Last Chance

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JamieWolfe7

@@Taking a cue from an X-Files fan fic a read about a week ago I managed to work up a bit of writing mojo I've been lacking on account of chronic heat exhaustion and household annoyance and got a story rolling. I honestly didn't know about the Texas Rangers beyond a bit of old west history, apparently they really are still pretty awesome. Not just because Chuck Norris did a silly family TV show with their name in the title either.

I've tried to be faithful to reality to an extent with this story, basing much on the info afforded by their website. UFOlogical references can be crosschecked, I encourage it in fact. I try to be accurate when I make claims and I love discussing the subject at any opportunity. So far as the subject matter with my main character, her background is the reason for the mature subject rating. Don't read Budd Hopkins' book Intruders after dark, the transcripts he includes gave me nightmares and are the inspiration for Pariah in large part.

Please let me know what you think, this is my biggest burst of inspiration since my Cassandra Cain stories. An original character in an original setting with an original story. Shameless X-Files references included, but what the hell ;)

@cbishop@waezi2@impurestcheese@comicstooge@batkevin74@AssertingValor@prinzessinsilke@heroup2112@thevoidofdeath@jumpstart55@poeticwarrior

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

<MATURE CONTENT WARNING>

Sergeant Jesse Lafferty is a woman in her late twenties of half Native American descent. This isn't at all different in the Texas Law Enforcement community, or anywhere in the state for that matter. Standing at six feet and athletically built there really isn't anything remarkable about the blue jean and dress shirt wearing woman at a desk.

Sergeant Jesse Lafferty occupies the basement office of the El Paso office of the Texas Rangers, E Company. The Rangers are the state level equivelant of the FBI in Texas, and she is something of a recluse within their ranks. A photo behind her desk gave some clue why: she as a young woman stood over over a desk at a booksigning in Houston where she was getting an autograph from a gentleman named William Cooper. That book, Behold a Pale Horse, now resides on her shelf alongside numerous classics such as Intruders, Left At East Gate, Above Top Secret, and A History of UFO Crashes among others. These had a place to themselves next to the appropriate legal literature for a member of the state law enforcement elite. Incidentally, Intruders was autographed and personalized as well. She had two copies of it, one of which had only been opened once for a John Hancock from Budd Hopkins.

Ranger Lafferty is something of a legend in the office. It doesn't matter that at 46 years of age she is just over the average for a Ranger, she is still an outcast with more than her share of controversy. A story never told in her presence is that of her nickname, 'Pariah Lafferty'. She graduated top of her class from the Ranger Academy, celebrated her graduation with a wedding, disappeared a week later for three days and had to take a leave of absence that five years later, four and half since her divorce, is still the subject of rumors that clam up when she gets in ear shot. Her controversial nature is tolerated partly from sympathy and partly because of the no-nonsense dedication she has to her work. Somehow during those three days she had dropped off the face of the earth she went from seven months pregnant to minus a fetus with no evidence of a miscarriage or otherwise having delivered it and to this day she has no clear recollection of that time or why when they found her miraculously in her bedroom she was dressed the same as when she was last seen minus her undergarments and shoes yet immaculately clean.

Today isn't much different than most days for her. Most don't like working with her because of her iceberg demeanor, consequently her paperwork tends to be up to date and unusually light for most. What makes today different for her is the clerk that steps into her office with a file: she has an assignment.

October 11th 2015, El Paso Rangers Headquarters, E Company

Fort Hood is an Army post most remarkable for being the station of the First Cavalry Division and Third Infantry Division of the US Army. This is important to her because her case is taking her to Killeen, Texas where an event accompanied by an explosion took the entire Army base and the neighboring town of Killeen off the grid for over an hour before it miraculously came back up.

Director Stephenson is Agent Lafferty's superior, and it is to him that she has been summoned for a briefing on the particulars of the case.

"Agent Lafferty, I'm sure you've already aquainted yourself with the short version," Stephenson asserts as he looks at her from behind his desk. Stephenson is a man who has aged well in the Rangers, being the same height as Lafferty but with stout arms and bushy grey brows that match his hair and a well groomed mustache.

"Indeed, sir," Jesse replies. She was honestly surprised that she'd drawn this assignment, given her noted intimate aquaintance with the field of UFOlogy. She'd even crossed paths with her counterpart-by-reputation in the FBI Fox Mulder at a MUFON conference. When a photograph surfaced of her and Fox chatting it up with Richard Hall and Kevin Randle in the office, it had not flown over well at all. Even in the Rangers, Spooky Mulder's reputation preceded him.

"Then I'll spare you the rote. Given the involvement of an Army base, we both know the MP's are gonna be all over the place and God knows who else. I'm going out on a limb with you because I know you've always played well with others and you get results," Stephenson says. Lafferty thinks 'Here it comes' as he continues after an emphatic pause,"You're going to coordinate with them and the locals. The Feds are in town along with Homeland Security making sure some Jihad Johnny didn't set off an EMP," He then raises a finger to point at her firmly,"and that's what I want to see from you. You're going there to reassure me and everyone else in this office that you don't see flying saucers behind every lonesome cloud and your weekend getaways have no impact on your work."

Jesse has been grilled by the man more than once for her excursions to such conferences when they came through. The unlikelihood of that photograph of her and Mulder that created the issue lay in the fact that it was taken at a MUFON Conference here in San Antonio, and Fox was a yankee with an office in Quantico. Who could have guessed that it would coincide with an assignment that took him into the Lonestar State, she had honestly had no clue the man would be there and nothing had crossed her desk about the FBI doing anything in town.

After his schpiel, Jesse nods to the man as he finally gestures for her to take a seat,"Yes sir, thank you sir." She has nothing to say on the subject. Her to the point nature is part of her mystique.

Stephenson drums his fingers on the desk a couple times then leans back in his chair to shake his head at her,"You know, you've been here for a little over four years and I still can't figure out what to do with you. You do good work, but nobody can stand working with you. If it ain't your books and hobbies, it's your winning personality. You've got to move on. I like you, I want you to know that so you know I'm not being a hard ass. I've never seen anything in your results to lead me to believe..." he waves broadly as he continues," Whatever your opinions about the world has colored your investigations. Hell, you do a better job documenting and investigating than anyone I've got in this office. That's why I'm giving you this assignment. To shut a few of your critics up, and put some of this nonsense to bed."

She doesn't say a word as he speaks, but her mixed expression likely told him everything he needed. He gives her a chance to respond vocally, but when she doesn't he continues,"I'm giving you a partner for this assignment, you'll need someone watching your back with all those damned federal and military vultures. I'm telling you as both a friend and your boss, this is your last chance. If you can't work with this one, I'm gonna have to transfer you. You know what they call you, and I'm bettin' your reception anywhere else is gonna be lukewarm. You see where this is goin'?"

She nods at that, folding her hands across her lap. The fact she hasn't said anything finallly grates on him, so he slaps his desk and sits back up,"Damn it, this right here is why you can't keep a partner. You've got a wall around you bigger than the friggin' Night's Watch, you've never told anyone here what happened and you refuse to be straight with the shrinks. That's why you're on your last limb here, now play right with your partner or mark my words. You won't have a career much longer. Now get out, your partner's right outside and I want you on the road at 0730."

Stephenson gestures to the door and she rises to her feet to walk outwith a softly spoken,"Yes sir." It was true, she'd never spoken with anyone about what had happened during those lost three days. That was likely what irked them so bad about that damnable photo, not knowing if she'd shared with Fox what she hadn't shared with those she worked with. The truth was she hadn't.

Standing outside her door was a five and a half foot tomboy, and if the pixie haired girl wasn't of Irish descent then Jesse's mother was likely Russian instead of Commanche. Offering a hand that Jesse takes firmly, she introduces herself,"I'm Jamie O'Connelly. Fresh out of the Academy and looking forward to working with you." She even had an accent to match her features.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Man, I've got all these saved...I need to get an afternoon free and read all this, because I really enjoy your writing.

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Appreciate the props :) Going to have several posted tonight, this story came to me in a flood sort of the way my Cass Cain story did.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

I'll have a look this week :)

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Awesome, five chapters and a library published tonight!

Avatar image for prinzessinsilke
prinzessinsilke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohh, she actually knows Fox Mulder. I like it! :D I think this is really well-written. I like the atmosphere that's being created.

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@prinzessinsilke: In passing but yeah, I had to throw that in there ;) A starting library with the first five sections is in my blog if you need it!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@jamiewolfe7: Okay is she a Sergeant or a Ranger? You keep flipping between the two. Nothing really wrong with it but maybe just pick one and stick with it. She can be a Sergeant in the Rangers, yes?

Will start here and read this from the start over the course of the week. In return you are to enter the Character Creation Contest #50 which has just been posted up. It's the 50th one and the more the merrier. Deal?

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers