Of Horses and Neon Lights: Chapter 1 ( Marvel 2099 story )

SangHellE56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Hey guys,

Just felt like writing a fan tale set in what is my personal favorite alternate vision of the Marvel multiverse. It goes with the lore, and has an original character as the protagonist. Feedback is more than welcome.

Without further ado, enjoy. :)

Delciak "Del" Fayrhoof couldn't help but hum to the synth music playing in his car. As he parked it on 5th Avenue and 13th Street, he tapped onto the front screen of the car-compatible iPhone 70 and checked what tune it was as it closed.

"Obsidian" by Deed Bunker, he thought as the album cover popped up with a blue aura. Nice. I've officially blended in.

Blending in wasn't exactly a correct note of himself, but Del had no choice. Humans were in the midst of a tech renaissance, and with everything else going on in the world, everyone in Nueva York needed to believe what he called the "X Effect."

The brown maned, grey skinned member of the Kymellian space aliens was part of a twenty-something crew of the aforementioned equines sent to Earth, mainly to observe them at this critical stage in their history. From what he'd seen so far, he was amazed at the scale of the Human-Mutant Civil War. Things were uncertain, and time was of the essence...especially with his individual task to retrieve the EveryInch. The Public Eye would physically get involved if all went to flarking nuts.

Del neighed lowly. He'd had ample time by now to disguise himself as a human mutant who happened to have a horse head, and he hoped his kin didn't use the same wild card with the other major Earth settlements. Somehow he thought the Doom Regime couldn't top Alchemax's flarkery.

As he turned off the album display with a single touch, he exited his car. There was a nightclub straight ahead of him by a few buildings, and that was his next-to-final point of the mission. Find the contact from yesterday, get the EveryInch, get out. As long as no gangs knew about it, he'd only have the Public Eye to deal with. And by that very night, the X Effect where everyone around him thought he was some ugly remnant of the Superior X gene would wear off. He'd need out of the city to the nearest Kymellian outpost. But getting there soon was a slim chance, if not impossible...

If only I was a Kree. They look more like them, thought Del.

Suddenly, he heard a rough two knocks on one of the cars behind him. He turned around to spot Mandy Cress with her fist on the hood of his vehicle.

"Forget me?" she asked.

She was the reason he'd gotten this far, thanks to her connections with the local anti-corporation movement. He believed she was on his side the moment she told him that she somehow didn't have a Card implant.

But tonight, she was here to assist him by whatever means. It went well with her goal to get the EveryInch "with a bang," even if it killed her.

Del couldn't focus on his past thought that she was crazy. Tonight, he had other thoughts of her as his light blue eyes widened, and he made a sort of beastly but benevolent undertone.

She was dressed to kill way more than he'd seen so far...and he liked it. A maroon and light red-schemed dress with white sides hugged her body perfectly. And to ironically top that, she had no makeup on. Yet, she was still the sexiest sight he'd beheld for as long as he was on Earth. He didn't know what to call it. Instinct? Impulse?

Mandy raised an eyebrow and smiled as Del took a step to her. "Hey."

They closed in and Del continued, "I figured you'd be on time. But if this doesn't work out...we're both dead and my kin are screwed. Alchemax can't know about us. Period."

Mandy's smile turned to a grin. But in the heat of the moment, she was the one who pulled him in for the make out session.

"Mmmmmm."

They held each other's waists and both stroked up and down for a solid ten seconds. Del moved slightly off of her as a trembling sigh came out of him, and he was now backed away from Mandy. His horse's smile was quickly falling into a frown.

Mandy smirked. "What's wrong? You're better than most men my species."

"No," Del started, "It's not that, this is just too...sudden. And we have something dire to focus on. I never....I mean -"

"Yeah, sure. Just so you know I LIKED it. And when we get out of this ALIVE, I'm gonna kick your horse ass for being a pushover. I'm not like anyone else who's probably taken to calling you Seabiscuit."

Del felt even more guilty now. He had no choice but to temporarily let it go ."Fine. You know what to do with the bouncer?"

They both looked ahead at the club. A tall burly man was at the front, shades, black t-shirt and all.

"Yup," Mandy responded as her eyes glowed scarlet red.

The two both approached the entrance. "900 Gold Cards to get in," said the guard. "You Gold?"

Mandy held up a hand that gave off a deep red glow. A pattern of red twirly energy seeped into the bouncer through his forehead.

The man gestured slowly for them to come right in. "You can....come right insiiiiide. No....quessstions asked.....Ffffffff alll the damn authority......"

Del and Mandy entered the club with no problem from there. It was infectiously loud and the people on the dance floor seemed to love it, along with the pattern of blue and purple lighting.The song that was playing finished and the DJ started monologuing with a large bottle of shiny yellow booze.

Del shook his otherworldly horse head. "Don't know why that's happening, don't care. We need to find our guy and the stash. Can you sense him?"

Mandy's eyes were still glowing as they walked around the dance pit. "Yes...he's over there." She pointed over to a man slumped over at the bar and clad in a black jacket. "Go see if he has it. I'll be hear standing guard."

"Neigh to that," said Del.

The horse alien casually sat two empty seats away from the slumped guy, who lifted his hooded head, turning it to Del. The man's mug had a diagonal scar, and stubble.

"We don't have much time," he said, "So if your ugly Kentucky Derby self wants to talk about the EveryInch, we can do it in the Box Office. Get your guns."

Del felt he had no choice but to nod. He fast-walked to the rest room, while Mandy's eyes stopped glowing.

"No...they're here!"

"Ah, Mandy," laughed the hooded man as he spun his seat to face her, "Your pet there thinks he can actually destroy something worth the whole damn universe. You wanna know why I actually support this idea of his?"

Mandy scowled without looking at him. Her attention was turned toward the front of the club as she responded quickly, "Shut up. Please...."

She cast a spell over him with a hand wave to make him do so.

A bunch of blue armored men blockaded both sides of the front quarter of the club, while one of them came over to the DJ to pull the plug on the music. Mandy could get a clear view of the symbol on his chest...

...It's the Cyber-Nostra! Them too?!?

She ducked as she had no choice but to go to a corner to build up on a mental burst. Then, she heard gunshots and anticipated the worst...

But on the other end of the club, Del emerged with one of the familiar Lethal Cubes....it converted into a carbine at the click of a button.

He pulled the Boom Grip of the rifle and shot a flame grenade square into the soldier at the music station's mouth. He gagged as the crouched DJ ran for cover.

KABOOOOOM!

A burst of orange engulfed the stationary equipment after the C-N soldier came flying into the air minus all of his limbs.

One of the others scowled.

"BOYS, OPEN FIRE!!!"

What ensued was a gunfight leaving the club-goers scattering for safety. There was a point where the C-N used them as shields.

Del was furious at this. He ducked in the barista station to reload.

Just six minutes of the carnage left half the club in flames. In the midst, Mandy was handed two anti-gravity magnums by Del and helped keep them off. She also revived the hooded man from her spell's knockout, and took his keycard.

He was highly startled. "Uhhhh??? WHAT-"

"MOVE!"

They neared the door to where the beer loads were, and Del was still holed up. Two C-N turned their guns to Mandy when they just flat out fell to the glass floor. huge burnt gaping holes were on their upper backs.

The other three left screamed as they were reduced to carbon ash piles in six loud shots. Footsteps that were the only noises made as of then ensued.

A man with a blue, red, white and black suit, short, spiky black hair, and two shiny chrome carbines appeared in the very middle of the club. He kicked a C-N corpse's head that lay at his feet, and looked back up blankly at Mandy.

He spoke: "Nice...been good lately, Chip?"

The hooded man next to Mandy - apparently Chip - nodded quickly.

"And you, Horse Face," he called out, "Why's there so much carnal sweetness going on without me?"

Del stood up from his area of defense. "Humankind is destroying itself, and I aim to blow up their key to finalizing that."

The stranger smiled slightly. "The EveryInch. Yeah...I've known about it for over a year. Been looking for it ever since through my friend next to your lady associate. He's also my arms dealer."

Del couldn't help it. "Who...are you?"

"I fight on no side of the law, but I give gang scum the right verdict. You can call me the Punisher."