Mortal Kombat Destruction: Should I Continue, Start Anew, or Revise it in the End?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6
deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Mortal Kombat Destruction: Should I Continue, Start Anew, or Revise it in the End? (1 votes)

Continue with the current story. 0%
Start fresh and reboot MK Destruction 0%
Just revise a few things 100%

(I don't know if polls are allowed on this forum or not. Welp here goes)

The reason I am doing this poll is because I have been feeling very conflicted with one of my stories. As you can tell from the title, it's MK Destruction.

On one hand, I love my first story that I actually put on the internet. I think of it as something that I love to near death due to my MK fanboyism.

On the other hand, I hate it. It's not good in my eyes. I reread the first chapter, and it doesn't sound good. I want to completely start over and just forget about whatever I did before. This may also have to do with the fact that I just replayed Mortal Kombat X's story and I have realized that I deviated way too far from the ending.

Another option that I have considered to solve this conflict is if I just finish it, then come back to it later and make it better. Add more detail, flashbacks, and other things in order to not have a jumbled up mess with plot holes and things.

But I don't know. I can't decide. I need some external feedback so why not turn to the place I have been posting. Anyway, leave feedback, vote, and I will see what happens.

In case you want to just skim quickly before voting --- Here's my Library

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@kcsshd: Hmm considering some of the past comments in your library you have the grim view that all your past work is not good enough. Honestly though I disagree, even if it's not up to standard it shows your evolution as a writer, not to mention represents your history as well. As for the story you are currently writing, well honestly it's up to you, having never plaid MK and not being a fan of it I feel I cannot tell you about the content, yet you mention that you love it, because it is your first story.

As such I'd recommended leaving the story for a bit and trying something new, maybe write a short fifteen minute piece or a six part mini series on a character, or even take a short break and take some inspiration from the works of others. I can honestly say time is a great for refreshing perceptive and may be just what you need. In addition joining a group may be beneficial, it fosters closer relations between writers and encourages us to look at the work of our peers when we find it.

That's my two cents, haven't voted but I hope my advice is welcome

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@kcsshd: Thoughts:

• First: polls are fine, but somewhat ineffective. The reason I say that is...
  • Second: I didn't vote either. Reason being the options given don't quite cover what I'm thinking.
  • Third: The answer to this kind of question is almost always: it's up to you.

The problem is we can make suggestions, but we can't write it for you. My answer personally is usually: if you've got the idea, then you've got the story. ...So you've got to decide- do you want to edit the story? Or do you want to start over?

I'm a fan of editing. I post most of my Character Creation Contest entries to the forum sometime after each contest, and most of the time, they have edits. Often, it's cleaning up the ending (because I often jam myself up at the deadline). Sometimes it's changing names on something, and sometimes it's just basic spelling or grammar errors. Sometimes it's adding details, because I see a plot hole or want to set something up for later.

On the other hand, I've posted some old stories to the forum that I have no intention of going back to. For one, it's that somebody beat me to the copyright on the idea, and it's now basically unusable. For the other, it's that I was just writing scenes with no idea of where I was going with it. For both, my ideas on the characters have evolved to something better. While I will most likely revisit those characters in future stories- and possibly retool some of the plotlines- those particular stories I feel like I'm done with.

So are you done with this version? Or are you going to build on it? Only you can make that call.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese I have joined some other groups around the forum. They seem like fun and I will start writing something for them soon. As far as taking a break, maybe I should. I constantly worry that I have to put out a chapter of something every weekend and that may cause me to rush. Thanks for the advice. It made me realized that I may have to slow down.

@cbishop I have considered revising and editing it for a long time. Problem is, because I know what I wrote, I can get bored of reading my stories. MK Destruction is 130 pages long and it's still not finished. Revising it seems like an impossible task. Then again I love a challenge. Thanks for the suggestions.