Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Inspired By Batkevin's awesome Batman vs Darth Vader. All characters owned by DC and Marvel Comics.

Queen Consolidated. New York Branch. Rooftop. Midnight.

"This just ain't my night" Moaned Taskmaster as he held on to the "Q" in Queen, his body dangled mid-air, more than forty stories above ground. One arm held him up whilst the other held a silver briefcase holding a high value item. An item that was said to hold the keys to unlocking universal power. Everyone wanted what was in that case, and would kill to get it. Like the guy in black who kicked his ass off of the building. He didn't even see the guy until it was too

late.

"Make things easier on yourself Skull-Duggery. Give up the case and..."

"You'll let me go?" asked Taskmaster

"Oh. No. No, no, no. I never let anyone go. But instead of watching you go splat, I'll break your neck. Trust me, you wont even feel it," Midnighter said with a dark grin. The man loved his job. Who wouldn't? He got to travel the world, bump elbows with some of the most powerful beings in the universe, and kill scum bag, loser lowlifes, like the sorry sob he punted off of the rooftop moments ago. If your gonna do a job, you may as well take pride and joy in the work. Made things easier to swallow.

"Yeah I think I'll pass on that." Taskmaster stated grimly. Why is it always me? Taskmaster thought to himself. Actually a lot of things crossed his mind. Mostly battle strategies, since it's really the only thing he could remember from last week, month, year. Hell. Battle is the only thing he had in his mind period. Well, that and the thought of falling to his death. Wishing someone like Spider-man showed up instead is when you know you've reached a low point.

Midnighter shrugged, "Suit yourself. But realize this, that briefcase, which I assume is made of Adamantium, will survive the fall," Midnighter stepped closer to the edge of the building and stared deeply into Taskmaster's eyes, "Will you? He finished with an evil, cruel tone to his voice.

"So my options are death or death? Right?"

Pretty much."

"Then I'll PASS!!" With a thrust and a mighty roar, Taskmaster flung the briefcase like a major league pitcher, at Midnighter, the metal object slamming directly into it's target with a satisfying "TWACK!" Signaling Taskmaster to move in for the kill.

"Crap!" Midnighter shouted. He hadn't expected the lame Skull-Head to be so fast, or so accurate. Sure, Stormwatch had gained access to illegal SHEILD data. And yes, he had been briefed earlier about Taskmaster, and how he had been hired to steal a valuable object which could change the world. Oh. Yeah, and his abilities. But that doesn't mean he cared. Apollo was looking dashing in the glimmer of light provided by their master computer. His mind wondered.... Anyway, that really hurt! And now that jerk was about to die. Taskermaster glided up to the roof with the agility, of a man who looked like he could win the Olympic Gold Metal. Not wasting time he immediately took to rushing into Midnighter with a dangerous left axe kick. The limb whipping like sail in heavy winds.

Midnighter was impressed.

"Not a bad block old man. But the Taskmaster ain't no chump by a long So shot either!" Taskmaster didn't want to give the guy a break, he was too damn fast. So he had hoped the axe would have broken his jaw. Damn. Maybe I 'shoulda struck lower. Broke his hip." Were the thoughts that he had as soon as he failed. He decided to throw a jab. But nope. Jab, jab, uppercut. Nope. It's like every time he made a move, the Midnighter made a move, that would perfectly deflect his move. And the screwy thing about it, is that Midnighter didn't look like he was trying, in fact, he looked like he was having fun. Things would only go on forever at this rate. Taskmaster needed to end it. He would only lose if he didn't.

Midnighter was having a blast! Taskmaster was really good, and even though Midnighter would have never told him, was actually making him sweat a bit to stay ahead. It wasn't so much his speed or power, but his grace and precision. The guy's moves were flawless. Some of them, Midnighter could have sworn he'd seen before. Whatever. "Games are over Taskmaster. It's time to end this." Midnighter growled. He lashed out quickly with his right hand and casually grabbed Taskmaster's left fist, and immediately, twisted until he snapped his wrist. Taskmaster screamed out in pain and fell to his knees.

He had him.

Taskmaster screamed out and swallowed. The pain in his now fractured wrist, so blindingly intense. He took a deep breath and then gulped. Afterwards he looked up at Midnighter and said, "Looks like you and me are about to be blood brothers."

"Oh, really? Why is that."

Taskmaster smoothly removed an object Midnighter immediately recognized as a remote detonator. Taskmaster could see it in his eyes. "Because I'm packin' at least six pounds of remote detonated Symtex. And I just locked us together with DAX-309, it's an experimental adhesive I took from the sixth floor. We are 'gonna be spending a lot of time in Hades together, if you don't make a decision. Release me. Or tank a block level explosion."

It was not really a block level explosion. More like a sidewalk and a half. Midnighter knew he could survive the blast and that Taskmaster would die. But being blown up is a real pain in the butt. So he decided to tear them away from each other, and toss Taskmaster back over the side of the building and just get the briefcase. "Wait, a minute. Where is the briefcase!?!"

Taskmaster smiled under his mask as he soared through the air. His plan worked perfectly. He had coated his briefcase-arm with DAX the moment he tossed the case, and leaped through the air, coming in for battle. he knew the punch would be blocked and it didn't matter which arm stopped it.

Taskmaster could read people pretty well himself.

The symtex was removed and hurled towards the roof and exploded three feet away from Midnighter who dove backwards to avoid the explosion. A bit of the impact managed to hit him still, lifting the dark hero through the air, slamming him into a central air unit. "Okay. Now...ugh...I'm really mad."

Taskmaster had expertly rode the force of the blow and twisted and positioned his body in preparation for what was to come. When the the time was right, he thrust out his arms, taking a hold of one of the many neon lights in the shape of letters, that were mounted to the northeast of the building. He managed to grab the U in Queen this time. He had the briefcase, strapped to his back by a belt similar to his swords, scabbard strap. It was all very quick and only could have been done by the extremely well-trained. During the fight Taskmaster had grabbed the Adamantium case, and used it as a melee weapon, and when it was time, slight of hand came in to play. Surprisingly the smug-idiot Midnighter was non-the wiser. Guess whatever he uses to tell him what someone was going to do, only worked if it was combat related. If so, then Taskmaster found himself grateful for the chance to meet a similarly, talented opponent.

Not one to be wasteful, Taskmaster waited until that moment, to shoot out a window on the penthouse level, and toss himself inside. At least now, he could use the shadows, pick the bastard off that way, and get to an elevator. Something told him that Midnighter would have just dodged the shots anyway.

When Midnighter heard the shots he already knew what happened. The sound of shattering glass coming after only confirmed it. Midnighter was surprised he could still hear anything, he then assumed that his eardrums had already healed themselves. "Time to go hunting." He said aloud. Climbing fully to his feet. "Door." He called out, a magnificent triangle, in said shape opening in front of him. He walked into the yellow light, and in seconds, stepped from it, ending up in the same room Taskmaster had entered mere moments ago. He coolly surveyed his surroundings, taking in all available information.

Taskmaster saw Midnighter teleport into the penthouse/office almost five minutes after himself, and in order to stay hidden, threw himself behind a large couch set off to the far left of the room. He slowly removed his sword, and his baretta was still in his hand. He removed the straps that held the briefcase to his body, and when given a chance, leaped up and opened fire. Midnighter took the first two shots to the chest and was knocked over, but experience told Taskmaster that he wasn't dead. So taskmaster went on the offensive once again.

Meanwhile, Midnighter was trying to get his barrings and mount a defense. Again, Taskmaster was proving that he was certainly worth the price he charged. Because not many people could say that they've tagged Midnighter twice. Mostly because Midnighter eventually killed anyone who had. He saw Taskmaster running towards him firing, while also removing a beautifully crafted Japanese Katana. "Now this is what I'm talking about! 'C'mon!"

Taskmaster swung the sword low. Towards Midnighters belly, looking to gut him. Midnighter bounced backwards with inhuman agility and speed, grabbed a lamp, and used it as a staff to defend and parry the blade that was being expertly utilized by his skull-faced enemy. He managed to block a hammer slash, by shoving the metal above his head, sparks flying from the collision of steal and metal. Midnighter then pushed Taskmaster nearly four feet away. Walking towards him with the lamps stand held in his right had. "That's not all is it?" Midnighter asked.

"Not even close." Taskmaster charged and spun through the air a foot away from where Midnighter stood, and spun on his left heel, a mighty hurricane kick flying towards Midnighter's face. Taskmaster felt his knee burst into incredible pain as the metal stick slammed into it with a sick cracking sound. Taskmaster fell forward and managed to block a hook thrown by Midnighter, who then kicked him in the back. His now injured knee slamming into a nearby table. He felt like he had just been shot in the knee instead of just wacked by a bit of lamp stand.

Midnighter walked over to his wounded prey. A bit of sadness in his eyes. The guy was good, and it would be sad knowing that a rematch would never come. But, Midnighter was used to it also. Such was the case with at least ninety-nine-point-nine of all his fights. He promised to make it quick. So he would. He owed the man that much for being so fun.

Meanwhile, Taskmaster was scanning the room for anything he could use to defend himself. His sword lay several feet away, and he doubted a coffee mug or computer keyboard would be of any use. He only had one other option. Taskmaster dug around in his utility belts pouch nearest his hip, and removed a small, clear, capsule. When Midnighter was inches away, Taskmaster rolled the small item on the ground casually and hoped that Midnighter stepped on it. He did. And seconds later he was frozen in place. Taskmaster pulled himself up, using his now frozen foe as support, "Cryo-Pellets. Every good street-level guy should have one." Taskmaster said with arrogance in his voice.

Moments later the shell covering Midnighter, began to hairline fracture, then it exploded. Midnighter taking a punch seconds later. Taskmaster pressed the attack even harder, managing to lay hands on Midnighter twice, and get a solid front kick to the belly. He removed the lamp post from Midnighters right, and decided to use it as his own. Midnighter was seriously impressed. Taskmaster was ruthless when he needed to be. This mission had become more fun then he originally thought it would be. He threw up a hand while dropping to one knee, stopping the staff like piece of metal inches above his head. He then threw a uppercut into Taskmasters stomach, then jumped in with his knee, which broke Taskmasters nose. Blood flying from the mercenary's face.

Taskmaster flew to the ground after the flying knee to the face. The back of his skull slamming into a tiled floor. He looked up at colors and light that he could no longer make out. His ears heightened, but of no use. He heard footsteps getting closer, and saw Midnighter standing over him. Sometimes in duplicates. Taskmaster heard the man above him say, "Well it's been fun." Then watched the world go black as Midnighter lifted his right foot, and bought it down into Taskmasters chest, actually punching through it, killing him.

Midnighter stood over the now dead mercenary. His foot inclosed in the crater that was once a chest. He then removed his boots, that were now covered in gore, and stepped away. Shaking a bit of heart and bone fragment from the leather. "Gross." He said. Then he searched the room until he found the briefcase, which was hidden behind a very nice sofa.

As he made his leave he was stopped in the his tracks as Spider-Man entered the room with his signature "TWIP" He glided from his web, to the floor of the penthouse from the shot open window. "Going anywhere Mr. Pulp Fiction?" Spidey quipped.

Midnighter just cracked his neck, and smiled. "Now I've stepped up to the big leagues."

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@guardiandevil83: Added to my FF Long Box - Authors. :)

This is a great story. The difference between this and Batkev's Batman Vs Darth Vader is that the Vader/Batman story leaves the question open at the end. They had a well-matched fight, but were separated before things could get fatal. So the readers can "Oo" and "Ah" at the great hits the two got in, but still debate the winner on their own, after the story is done. Here, you set a clear winner in your story, which may leave half of your readers put off that their guy didn't win.

I could go either way on this. Yeah, Midnighter is super tough and can predict moves and multiple scenarios before they happen- he'd likely win. However, as you demonstrated in the story, Taskmaster's ability is to read and duplicate moves, which he can then mix and match to his needs. Something I think he would have done in this fight, which he did not do in the story, is start duplicating Midnighter's own moves. At that point, the fight should tip a bit more evenly. Had that happened, and then the fight ended on a question, this story would be 100% cool.

The Midnighter/ Spidey fight would be pretty awesome. Spidey's spider sense would allow him to dodge Midnighter, but he won't go to killing blows, so could be at a disadvantage. However, Midnighter should have a devil of a time reading Spidey, because of the spider sense. It'd be a good fight. :)

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@cbishop said:

@guardiandevil83: Added to my FF Long Box - Authors. :)

This is a great story. The difference between this and Batkev's Batman Vs Darth Vader is that the Vader/Batman story leaves the question open at the end. They had a well-matched fight, but were separated before things could get fatal. So the readers can "Oo" and "Ah" at the great hits the two got in, but still debate the winner on their own, after the story is done. Here, you set a clear winner in your story, which may leave half of your readers put off that their guy didn't win.

I could go either way on this. Yeah, Midnighter is super tough and can predict moves and multiple scenarios before they happen- he'd likely win. However, as you demonstrated in the story, Taskmaster's ability is to read and duplicate moves, which he can then mix and match to his needs. Something I think he would have done in this fight, which he did not do in the story, is start duplicating Midnighter's own moves. At that point, the fight should tip a bit more evenly. Had that happened, and then the fight ended on a question, this story would be 100% cool.

The Midnighter/ Spidey fight would be pretty awesome. Spidey's spider sense would allow him to dodge Midnighter, but he won't go to killing blows, so could be at a disadvantage. However, Midnighter should have a devil of a time reading Spidey, because of the spider sense. It'd be a good fight. :)

Actually when writing this, I was going to separate them, and have it still end on Spider-Man, leaving the idea open for a three-way slug match. But I started thinking, that giving who Midnighter is and how much more dominate he is over Tony, I seriously couldn't see any other outcome. And Taskmaster couldn't read Midnighter, because for the most part Midnighter was being defensive, enjoying how skilled and deadly Taskmaster is/was. Trent is a sucker for a good time. :) I also wanted to leave it open for Midnighter vs Spider-Man.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually when writing this, I was going to separate them, and have it still end on Spider-Man, leaving the idea open for a three-way slug match. But I started thinking, that giving who Midnighter is and how much more dominate he is over Tony, I seriously couldn't see any other outcome. And Taskmaster couldn't read Midnighter, because for the most part Midnighter was being defensive, enjoying how skilled and deadly Taskmaster is/was. Trent is a sucker for a good time. :) I also wanted to leave it open for Midnighter vs Spider-Man.

I don't know. Even if he couldn't read Midnighter, you said that he had a five minute head start into the penthouse. Seems like if he couldn't read him, Taskmaster would have made his escape, instead of waiting around for five minutes. Payment is his bottom line- there's no money in fighting for fun. ...However, I suspect you meant for that to be five seconds. In which case, maybe it came out the only way it could.

However, the thing we can do in fan-fic that often can't be done in a true crossover is we can pick a winner. Often, the question must be left open, so that neither property is diminished in the eyes of the readers. Unless one side is willing to concede their character is less powerful, which isn't very often (Erik Larsen is great about that with Savage Dragon, which makes for some cool stories).

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:

@guardiandevil83 said:

I don't know. Even if he couldn't read Midnighter, you said that he had a five minute head start into the penthouse. Seems like if he couldn't read him, Taskmaster would have made his escape, instead of waiting around for five minutes. Payment is his bottom line- there's no money in fighting for fun. ...However, I suspect you meant for that to be five seconds. In which case, maybe it came out the only way it could.

However, the thing we can do in fan-fic that often can't be done in a true crossover is we can pick a winner. Often, the question must be left open, so that neither property is diminished in the eyes of the readers. Unless one side is willing to concede their character is less powerful, which isn't very often (Erik Larsen is great about that with Savage Dragon, which makes for some cool stories).

Well I think I was pretty fair. I wanted to show his tactical mind more so then his physical abilities. Some could say, that he would have killed Midnighter if the latter wasn't so durable. Remember, Tony hit him with an explosion that made him fly into one of those metal ac units that are placed on rooftops. Shot him twice, froze him, punched him as soon as he broke free, then landed two other blows and a front kick to his stomach. It;s just that Midnighter fight's Apollo-Lite characters and Red Lanterns. Tony is more of an escape artist, who can hold his own in a fight. He is badass, but he isn't a warrior. He only wanted to escape here. And he may have gotten blinded by anger a bit, sense Midnighter didn't take him seriously at all. The moment his knee was stroke. That was panic. lol

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: Hm, maybe. Like you say though, more of an escape artist. So it looks like he'd have continued on through the penthouse and found a way out. But hey, great job, you got me debating even with a one-sided ending. lol ;)

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That was a pretty badass fight. So are we seeing Spider-Man VS Midnighter in the next part?

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Maybe. I just want to make sure that if I write it, I get everything right. Midnighter is extremely dangerous, but a pissed off Parker is...scary as hell! Right now he has yet to find Taskmasters body. Once he does, things might get crazy. I know Midnighter has hurt Apollo, but Spider-Man has staggered Hulk, beat Luke Cage and held his own with Namor. It would be a heck of a battle.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: And he took down Firelord without getting hurt in the slightest. By the gods that was an epic fight!

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Yeah people complained about it, but the Spidey-fanboy in me was happy as hell. lol

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Firelord being a Herald Of Galactus. Spidey not being considered a High Level Super-Power, Like Superman, Sentry, etc. They believed that Parker should have been destroyed.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By The Impersonator

@guardiandevil83: Very impressive. To be honest, I'm not that much into the crossover thing between two comic book universes. It sounds interesting, much like, I've read Batkevin's Batman versus Darth Vader fiction.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@guardiandevil83: No Taskmaster. Why did he havr to die? Story's cool but I'll admit I know nothing about the Midnighter

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@impurestcheese: Imagine Batman with enhanced muscles, a healing factor, and a computer cranium implant that gives him 100,000,000 battle scenarios. And the morals of Wolverine. That would be Midnighter.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shameless bump.