Midnight Sons #4

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

"We gotta lose the chutes, before we get spotted." Blade says as he pulls unsheathes his sword.

Russell nods in agreement, slashing at his with his claws. Blade cuts off his parachute, allowing himself to freefall the remaining 100 or so feet to the ground. The heroes quickly, but cautiously approach the entrance.

"I'm guessing the doorway has a spell on it or something like that." Russell muses as he eyes the glowing stones.

"You guessed right. Some type of warding spell. We might get fried the moment we try to cross the threshold. Ready?" Blade asks.

"Born ready."

Swift as the wind, the two enter the cave mouth and get inside without incident.

"Guess a couple monsters would be welcome here. Eh Blade?"

The unmistakable stench of rotting flesh and blood fills the air of the dimly lit cavern. Torch sconces line the walls, leading down a grand staircase to a set of 4 large, stone doors. Each door is marked with a sigil underneath a carving of a monstrous beast.

"Now for the game show portion of our adventure." Russell says sarcastically, before crouching down and taking a few sniffs at the base of each door. He straightens back up before the pointing to the third door. "It's this one."

The door begins rising into the ceiling, almost appearing to acknowledge Jack's assertation. They enter, swords and claws drawn, ready for a fight. Down the long corridor, they see a robed figure beckoning them to come forward. The figure appears to be taking part in some sort of invisible dance, as it sways to and fro with each footfall.

"Welcome to our home, brethren. This place is a safe haven for all of our kind. You may call me Consul."

Blade and Werewolf By Night are bit taken aback by the cordial greeting. They each expected a far more hostile response to their presence.

"I'm not feeling very safe with....." Russell says as he points toward the walls.

Every wall is covered from floor to ceiling with grotesque, pallid creatures.

"Ignore them. They will be no threat to you, unless you transgress upon this great place.

Blade and Russell exchange uneasy looks.

"What brings you to our home?"

"We were tracking a group of cultists, human ones. Calling themselves the Claws of Petbe."

"The interlopers. I met them briefly, earlier today. They requested an audience with the lord of the den and I do believe he has granted them sanctuary for the time being. Strange, humans are typically little more than blood and meat within these walls."

"F*%$." Russell swears under his breath.

"The same courtesy will be extended to you, of course. If you wish to speak with the lord of the den, I will inform him expeditiously. In the meantime, you may drink from the blood fountain." Consul says as he walks towards a corner of the room.

The once dry fountain now begins to spray from the center, forming a light mist high in the air. The creatures occupying the space at the base of the wall move away and as Consul approaches, he soon disappears into the shadows.

"Great now we have to play diplomat in this hell hole." Blade grumbles as he sheathes his sword.

"It doesn't look like we have much of a choice here Blade. The place is literally crawling from top to bottom with whatever these things are and who knows what else."

After several minutes, Consul returns and signals for them to follow him down yet another hallway to a a large chasm.

"Beyond this precipice lies the throne room. Farewell now brothers." Consul says as he heads back down the hall and out of sight.

"We're gonna end up smack dab in hell if we're not careful." Russell growls as he stares into the abyss.

Blade simply shakes his head and steps off the edge and fall into the darkness. Jack follows suit and jumps down.

To be continued in Part 5.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@oscuro: oooo interesting! Nice work, will begin the next chapter :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@oscuro took your advice and added a chapter, it's coming up shortly