Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

MTCU: The Redeemers #1.1 - Fear of the Future

For more of this series check out our Issue Guide

______________________________________________________________________________________

ATCU Facility 'The Tower', Delaware

The small park in Washington DC was pristine; families were having picnics, businessmen ate their lunches on benches and women in tight jogging outfits sprinted down the walking tracks. All in all things looked normal, at least until an audible pop sounded. Seconds later everyone was screaming, some people where fighting among themselves with bones cracking and blood spilling as one particularly large man dressed in a leather jacket and jeans threw a young mother a good thirty feet into a lamppost.

“What am I looking at?” The dark skinned woman dressed in a red blouse and short skirt asked, her hair curled into ringlets that exemplified her large hoop earrings rather than covered them up.

No Caption Provided

“That Agent Bowden, is a chemical weapons attack involving an enhanced individual right in our nation’s capital.” The grim voice of Thaddeus E ‘Thunderbolt’ Ross, the Secretary of State growled. “I know you’ve been working undercover on the Buscelli investigations, but honestly I need all my people in on this, and that includes you Tamika.”

“Is the scene secure?” Bowden asked as she looked into the eyes of the obviously enhanced individual causing havoc in the park.

“Very secure, all signs of whatever caused this are gone. Everyone affected by this is back to normal, everyone except him.” Ross explained. “File and rap sheet are spinning up on the Enhanced Individuals Index as we speak, but it’s obvious that he has strength beyond that of a normal man, something that often goes hand in hand with increased durability.”

“How about her?” Bowden asked as the screen paused and she pointed to what appeared to be a bike messenger dressed in black, her head covered in a cycle helmet as she bent down to pick up what looked like multiple aerosol cans. “Oh look she’s not showing her face to the camera and isn’t going crazy like everyone else.”

“We noticed, there’s not enough to go on. We even tracked down the bicycle to a rental scheme and dusted it for prints, for chemical trace and for DNA.” Ross told Bowden as she looked from the mysterious courier to the enhanced individual. “We got two out of three but there are no current matches.”

No Caption Provided

“What makes you think that this man mountain will know anything or have any trace of the chemical on him?” Bowden asked, as the camera footage minimised and a series of CCTV feeds showing destruction leading away from the park appeared on screen, destruction that terminated to a scuzzy little bar surrounded by police cars and ambulances treating broken and beaten SWAT officers, a clear indicator that they’d tried to apprehend the man and failed miserably.”

“Because we have an ongoing Code Blue condition going on.” Ross told her, as a list of biometrics on the massive enhanced being where compiled on the edge of the screen. “I need you tactical immediately, not only does our suspect pose a danger to the public, but he may be our last link to whatever was used in the attack.”

“You have transport ready?”

“Of course.”

“Lethal options prepared should things go bad?”

“We always do?”

“Backup?”

“Agent Dennis is geared up and ready to act as your secondary. Jenkins will be flying you in and providing aerial surveillance should you need it.” Ross told her as the files of both Paul Dennis and Abner Jenkins appeared on screen next to the list of biometrics of the enhanced individual.

“Will a two man team and one support asset be enough to take down this guy?” Bowen asked as she looked at Ross sceptically.

“Two men is more than I can afford at the moment, I’ve pulled two Tier One assets off of current ops because I have no one else who can even attempt to stand up in a fight with this guy and his ilk.” Ross sighed as he got up and removed a cigar from his jacket pocket. “Times were that an Iron Man or Captain America or even god help us a Hulk would come in and deal with this problem, but those days are over now, not since the incident with Sokovia.”

“You think legislation will be brought in to bring super-humans under the control of a governing body?” Bowden asked, shock on her face that such a thing was even being contemplated.

“I’ve seen the first draft, they are calling it the Sokovia Solution, an obvious reference to a black day for the Avengers despite their victory.” Ross stated, as he lit his cigar. “But we can talk politics later, right now we have our own problem to deal with.”

“You’ve seen the guy we’re chasing right?” The blonde-haired man asked as he pulled on the black tactical suit, a shotgun slung over his shoulder as Bowden tied her hair into a bun and removed the earrings she had been wearing. Slipping a pistol into a waist holster, Tamika looked at Agent Dennis, her mind on the exact same thing he’d just said.

No Caption Provided

“We do our best and soften him up.” Bowden replied as she picked up an ammunition clip marked with a lightning bolt. “These electro-shock rounds may just help us do that.”

“If this guys running on pure adrenaline and is super durable then I doubt it.” Dennis replied as he clipped a combat bracer to his arm. “I suppose Ross mentioned those Sokovia Files, honestly the faster that these so called super heroes are under control, the easier life will get for us.”

“You honestly believe that?” Bowden asked as the pair of them headed out of the armoury and to the overlook of the ‘Tower’ facility that looked out over the hanger where a modified Osprey Twin-Blade sat, its rotors already warming up as the pilot watched a group of technicians load a reinforced gurney onto the craft. “And where do you draw the line? Super Strength, Asgardian Magic, Chaos Powers…maybe advanced aircraft and the well-equipped agents who use them.”

“Fair enough.” Dennis sighed, despite the tiny smile on his face, as the pair of them descended the stair and walked over to the figure dressed in a flight suit emblazoned with the roman numerals for the number four on his shoulder. “Everything ready to go Abe?”

“As ready as it will be, meet the Zeus, or rather its test body.” Abe mumbled as he gestured to the Osprey. “We got saddled with some kind of advanced tactical piloting system that was dug out of the ruins of the Triskellion. I already don’t like it or the opinions it voiced about my pre-flight checks.”

“Well we all have to work with people we dislike.” Bowden stated as a cheeky look spread across her face. “You think I’m happy about sitting next to Dennis on the ride out?”

“It’s Paladin in the field.” Denning's replied, and as long as I get an aisle seat I’ll be fine.” Dennis replied as the doors to the base interior opened, as Ross walked onto the landing pad followed by a technician pushing a cart loaded with a box.

You’re in trouble it’s all crew seats.” Abe whispered to Bowden as he walked past her to meet Ross half-way across the pad. “Sir, we’re wheels up in three.” He told his superior as Bowden and Dennis took their seats. “I wasn’t aware of more equipment being brought on-board.”

“Just a little thing I R&D built during my time with army, I had it ready in case the Hulk proved a problem, was ready to use it after South Africa but in the end…” He stopped and gestured for the technician to get on board and store the case. “A little equalizer for the boots on the ground.” He added as he tapped Abe on the shoulder before heading back towards the base interior. “Let’s just hope they don’t have to use it.”

“We’re coming up on the area where the target is hiding.” Abe announced as the Osprey descended through the fog and headed towards a warehouse surrounded with police vehicles and ambulances.

“We also have a name and alias for the man you’ve been sent to find.” A mechanical voice buzzed.

“Is that the Zeus?” Dennis asked, as he peered into the cockpit as if to confirm that Abe was sitting upfront by himself.

“Yeah annoying isn’t it.” Abe groaned as he circled the building. “Okay then fill the foot traffic in on what we are dealing with.”

“The target is one Michael Marko, a former strong man in the Silverman crime family.” Zeus replied. “He used experimental steroids to enhance his strength and pain threshold but it also caused health problems. After being released from prison three years ago his record has been spotless, and he has held down a job as a waiter in a karaoke bar in the DC Metropolitan area.”

“Big man went from pushing round wise-guys to waiting tables, I don’t buy it.” Dennis grumbled as the Osprey began its descent. “Guy must have a finger in a pie somewhere.”

No Caption Provided

“By pie do you mean the volunteer work he’s been involved in?” Zeus asked. “Mr Marko’s parole officer states that he spends his free time picking up litter from the park as part of the ‘Clean DC’ Initiative.”

“So Marko had a pattern to his movements then.” Bowden asked, as the Osprey’s rotors powered down. “If you wanted to set him off you could find him and send him into a rage with whatever courier girl used?”

“Sounds like it, his parole review statement says he goes on a litter pick every Wednesday and Saturday before going to work.” Abe told her, seconds before Zeus could get any words in edgewise. “You’re ready to go, if anything comes up we’ll let you know. Oh and what about Ross’s box? What’s the plan with that?”

“You mean the Depleted Uranium Neural or DUN Cannon?” Zeus replied. “It works by generating a radioactive pulse that disables the targets neural capabilities. Its recommended for a Class 50 threat, being a Class 10 threat Mr Marko would likely be permanently damaged if not killed by such a weapon.”

“That stays here.” Bowden told the pilot as she and Dennis stepped off the Osprey. “Nobody else needs to die today.”

“Paladin is in position.” Dennis asked as he stood against the door frame at the north side of the building.

“Stryke is in position.” Bowden replied from the other side, as she dared to peek through the broken window at where Marko was sitting on the floor holding his head, a smart phone on the floor in-front of him. “Hold fire but get ready to come in guns blazing if needs be.” She added as she stood up and vaulted into the room. “Mr Marko do you have any weapons on you?” She asked, her voice causing Marko to jerk his head up to look at her.

“I am a weapon, never needed a gun or knife.” Marko growled. “You here to take me in, I ain’t going to fight no more. Do me a favour send me to Virginia, I don’t deserve to live with what I did.”

“What do you think you did?” Bowden asked, her words causing Marko to get to his feet, the phone clamped in his hand. As he walked over to her Dennis darted into the room, his shotgun at the ready, only for Bowden to wave him to stand down. “Easy sir my partner is just here to make sure that no harm comes to me.”

“Fair enough.” Marko grunted as he handed her the phone, a news report on the attack at the park on the screen. “I hurt people, some of them were kids. Worse the place I vowed to clean up was made filthy by my actions. After entering remission and getting out I vowed that, should my temper get the better of me that I would hand myself in. Yet when the cops came for me I ran, I hurt them when my mind was telling me to stop.”

“If you want to surrender we will give you the chance, but not to the police.” Dennis told him. “Do you know who the ATCU are?”

“They’re the alien hunting guys, they deal with those Inhumans right.” Marko snorted.

“We deal with more than that Mr Marko, at least our branch does.” Bowden told him. “Like for example who the culprit was behind the gas attack this morning. You can go to jail, go to death row if that’s what you really want, but first we need to know what you saw, what you felt prior to your fit of rage, and most importantly we need to know about the woman on the bicycle.”

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

@impurestcheese: @wildvine: Can you fix this one too, please? I meant to ask earlier, but I got distracted by superhero TV shows. :}

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@ficopedia: Ironic considering what this is based on...

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#4  Edited By cbishop