darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By darth_brendroid

The Owl of Wall Street

Daredevil and related characters belong to Marvel Comics.

Other Marvel Re-Imagined titles can be found here.

Rating: T (just covering my bases)

No Caption Provided

It was a cold and rainy day when Lieber approached the small office of Nelson and Murdock. He took off his drenched hat and wrung it, squeezing the water into a bucket by the door before stepping inside. His first impression was that Nelson and Murdock were not, as he had been led to believe, cheap but effective lawyers. From the relic of a TV left over from the 90s and the plain, chipped walls Lieber’s impression was that Nelson and Murdock could hardly be as effective as the stories he’d been fed claimed. Effective lawyers would at the very least have found the funds to repaint their walls. Sighing, tossing his coat over the couch near the TV, Lieber sat himself down to wait patiently for his appointment.

“Mr Lieber?” asked a woman. He rubbed his hands, tugged on his jacket and turned to her. She was a young, pretty woman with blonde hair that did something. Lieber wasn’t sure what it was doing, if it was a ponytail or braided or if the woman’s hair just sat there. He nodded, breathing in deeply. “I’m sorry we don’t have a bell, we only just moved in here.”

“Ah,” was his reply. There was nothing more to be said. The woman, presumably the Page he’d spoken to over the phone, beckoned for him to follow. He stepped into a room with a polished bookcase stretching along the wall, books all old and leather-bound. Lieber could smell the paper and vaguely chalk, definitely something he hadn’t experienced in a very long time; perhaps too long.

“Good to meet you, Mr Lieber,” said a man in glasses, with neatly combed black hair and meat on his bones. “I’m Mr Nelson, my partner Mr Murdock isn’t in I’m afraid.”

“Mr Nelson,” Lieber repeated, holding out his hand. He noticed a desk tucked into the corner, just next to the bookshelf. “I didn’t expect someone called ‘Nelson’ to be…”

“My mother’s side,” Mr Nelson said quickly, “her parents moved here after the war. Could I interest you in coffee?”

There was a pause. Lieber said nothing, but Nelson nodded and walked into another room. Page stepped forward, forcing a smile much like an embarrassed mother. “Over the phone you mentioned something about being embezzled, Mr Lieber?”

He nodded as Page offered him Mr Nelson’s chair. Sitting down did feel more comfortable, but his back twinged. “Yes, we entered a deal and had Leland Owlsley oversee transactions. Money went missing and we think Owlsley’s the one who did the embezzling.”

Page nodded as Mr Nelson walked back in, holding two mugs of steaming coffee. Both mugs were a sickly green colour that perfectly matched with Nelson’s tie, but Lieber didn’t mentioned it as he took the mug in both hands and thanked him. The coffee was hot, which was good and more than could be said for the dismal weather pelting the windows, but Nelson had obviously never heard of sugar. He couldn’t deny that the drink was hot, so Lieber drank the bitter brew. Forcing on much the same smile as Page had, he listened as the woman recounted his situation to Mr Nelson. The lawyer put in a nod where it was relevant, held a thoughtful pose and turned back to Lieber as Page finished explaining the embezzlement case.

“You’re really going after Leland Owlsley?” Nelson asked, leaning forward with his eyes wide. Lieber noticed that the hold on the lawyer’s mug had loosened. “Mr Lieber, he’s the Owl of Wall Street. He has… connections and things!”

“I’ll have to add that to my list of Foggy Nelson insights,” said a person walking into the room. He had fair red hair and, like Lieber had been only a while ago, was wearing a thick coat that was drenched. Unlike Lieber, the man was also wearing dark sunglasses. He’d heard of the man through reputation, of course. It was the blind lawyer, Matthew Murdock; of that Lieber was certain. Whatever reputation the man had, however, still didn’t seem to be enough to pay for the walls to be repainted.

“Mr Murdock, this is Mr Lieber,” Page said, to which Murdock nodded. There was something to the way Murdock held himself, a confidence that was lacking in Nelson’s posture. Nelson was apprehensive, a little jittery even. Murdock simply stood there, calmly leaning on his walking cane.

“I know who Mr Lieber is, Karen,” he replied, stretching his hand out to Nelson. He took one last swig from his coffee mug before taking his partner’s hand and standing up. “Foggy, could we talk about Mr Lieber’s case in private?”

To Be Continued

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#2  Edited By TheCannon

Love it. Can't wait for issue two.

I honestly can't find any fault with it. If I do, I'll let you know.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By darth_brendroid

Thanks for your reply, Cannon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

I like the attention to detail you had in this piece.

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darth_brendroid

I'm sorta using this as an opportunity to develop my style and figured balancing detail's a part of that. I'm not 100% sure if it makes the piece too slow though.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By batkevin74

@darth_brendroid: Nice Stan Lee reference. This is really good work Darth, good job. I look forward to reading more of this

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By darth_brendroid

Thanks; I thought it was clever haha.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batkevin74

@darth_brendroid: Foggy reads fine :)

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darth_brendroid

That's a relief :)

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#10  Edited By TheCannon

Bump.

Avatar image for tomdickharry1984
tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Leiber??? Isthat STan Lee? Good work “Mr Nelson,” Lieber repeated, holding out his hand. He noticed a desk tucked into the corner, just next to the bookshelf. “I didn’t expect someone called ‘Nelson’ to be…” Is foggy black? Or Jewish? Is that what this means? I dont get it....goodstuff

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darth_brendroid

Wait, I'm confused as to whether or not your confusion's a good thing (hook) or bad thing (too much ambiguity on my part). Otherwise thanks for the reply.

tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Well is Foggy black, whiter, Jewish, gay...I'm not sure by Nelson comment ifn if he is any or all them things. Sytory is fine, just not sure what race, color, creed etc Foggy is? :)

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darth_brendroid

Uh huh, if it's at all a comfort I've written a scene that clarifies somewhat that ambiguity in this chapter (but it probably won't be up until about Wednesday or so).

DickGrayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DickGrayson

@darth_brendroid: Great Job! Still reading all of them, this one is great! I know the rest are too!

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By darth_brendroid

@DickGrayson: Thanks for the reply, glad you enjoyed it haha!

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By feebadger

Beautifully detailed and nuanced writing with the characters and the setting. Reads very much like a novel and i can't wait to read the next instalments. Great work darth_brendroid.

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darth_brendroid

I was aiming for something like a novel so I'm glad that came across :)

DickGrayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DickGrayson

Bumpp

Avatar image for redrobintimdrake
RedRobinTimDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RedRobinTimDrake

I like it I am going to read the next 3 now XD

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By darth_brendroid

Haha, thanks :)

xxYoungFatexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xxYoungFatexx

Good story!

In the first paragraph, you use “Nelson and Murdock” too much. You should try mixing it up some. It would definitely help as you have a good first paragraph. Glancing over the rest of the story again, you have good grammar and sentence structure so there isn’t much else that I think I can critique you on.

darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darth_brendroid

Thanks; I looked over this again and I think I agree that I use it too much (I think that's a problem in some of the other issues I've uploaded; tendency to repeat names within paragraphs).

tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Bump

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By batkevin74

@darth_brendroid: Re-read this because I noticed you had 14 chapters of DD! Well done