Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Marvel Iron Age:

War Machine-War Crimes Part 2 of 4

Castle Doom:

Queen Danvers was sitting in on a briefing with General Kurske. War Machine had discovered where the Wide Awake program had been hiding. He showed them what he saw. Carol looked over at Kurske, she hated looking at him and he had obviously not been paying attention. Instead he focused on Weapon Twenty. The General had previously tried to kill War Machine, but was interrupted by an attack by Project Wide Awake. The attack left his face scarred. His cheek bones protruded, his eyes appeared to be sucked in to their sockets and his skin took on a red color. Carol gave him another sharp glance before speaking to the room.

“So what do we know about what’s going on there?” Carol questioned as she looked around the room at the other military officials in the room.

“Not as much as we should ma’am.” Said a Shield agent presiding over the briefing for the absent Director whom he represented. “S.H.I.E.L.D can have teams there in a couple hours. Just tell us where you need us ma’am.”

The generals present looked at the agent in shock and then looked at the queen. Carol couldn’t figure out the problem. Until Kurske said, “You will address the Queen of New Latveria by her proper title!”

Carol looked at Kurske, “It is fine.” She looked at the Shield agent and gave an approving nod.

The agent continued. ”Wide Awake attacked New Latveria partly utilizing teleportation technology. It’s troops were the genetically altered corpses of our own citizens. We still don’t know how they did that, but they have shown the skill to create shock troops quickly and can deploy them anywhere. This could be the beginning of another invasion.”

“Does this sound right to you, Weapon Twenty?” Carol asked as she thought about the implications of another invasion.

“Whatever it is… it can’t be good. And there is no doubt Wide Awake and Weapon Plus is involved.” The War Machine answered.

Carol stood up and took a deep breath. “Effective immediately I want the western border locked down. Nobody gets in or out. I need whatever S.H.I.E.L.D teams we can spare to launch an incursion into New Germany and infiltrate Hamburg. I want the Wide Awake presence destroyed.”

The Shield agent saluted and had a crooked smile on his face, “We’ll make it happen.” He then glanced at General Kurske. “My Queen.”

“With all due respect, my Queen this would be a job more suited for the military. S.H.E.I.L.D is too… how do I put this… unreliable? They are only of use until after the battle is over.” General Kuske said as he looked on smugly at the queen.

“Really? Are you volunteering to be bumped down to enlisted man and sent to guard the Chinese border, General? Or sent to the Vault to fight with Shield Commander Holland and see if he agrees with your assessment?” Carol seethed at the General’s comment. Carol Danvers for a large part of her life before becoming queen was the Director of the North American branch of S.H.I.E.L.D and if she was being honest took Kurske’s comment personally.

“Apologies my Queen.” Kurske bowed.

Doomstadt:

{Danvers ripped General Kurske a new stark hole didn’t she?}

“Now if only we could convince her how dirty that stark is.” Weapon twenty replied to his A.I. Before the Wide Awake invasion War Machine encountered the general during an arms deal with some militants in the Shiva’s Eye region of Indakistan. Kurske escaped, but the both of them remember their first meeting well.

{Well we did have something! Only… Danvers insisted that the proof we stored in my memory bank wouldn’t be enough to convict him. That and us being in the Iron Army before all this ensured nobody else would listen to us.}

“Life sucks.” Weapon Twenty looked around Doomstadt. You could barely tell the city had been invaded at all. The damaged was repaired. The people were getting on with their lives. The whole country was getting back on track.

{Well Doom could have had us locked under the castle until we started collecting dust. I mean we missed the whole of the Battle of Doomstadt! Whose idea was that?!}

“Director Danvers’. It was that or Doom atomized us. Also if I remember you’re the one who volunteered.” Weapon Twenty said.

{Details.}

Weapon Twenty continued to the S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters in Doomstadt. It was one of the first places attacked during the attack by Project Wide Awake. Every S.H.I.E.L.D agent there was killed before the battle could start. The official reports say the New Latverian branch was compromised. Agents inside had fought with corrupted agents and died as a result over the course of the battle. Carol Danvers inserted several agents from her North American branch to fill the gaps in the New Latverian organization.

Weapon Twenty sat through another briefing with high ranking S.H.I.E.L.D agents as they planned the incursion. The agents went through several of the logistical factors on the attack, using maps of the projected area that Weapon Twenty’s artificial intelligence had provided and discussed escape routes. They were after all planning an invasion of a country under the Iron Army’s protection.

Everyone had their own ideas. Some painfully stupid and others while brilliant presented their own problems. One included flooding the New Germany with mutants from the Chechyen DMZ. “Are you serious? Who do you think they’ll point the figure at?” Said one agent.

An exasperated agent also said, “That screams Shield operation!”

That idea was immediately rejected. Every effort was being put forward to find a solution. Invading a country was complicated. “We’d have more options if the queen didn’t have a good number of us holding hands on the border! I wish she’d let us do our jobs!” Said an agent with a heavy Latverian accent.

“Shut your starking mouth!” Said another agent that spoke with a clear Massachusetts accent that made some of the other Latverians chuckle under their breaths. The agent shot up from the table and nearly launched himself over it at the offending agent. “While you starking pretenders sat on your starks here in Latveria with your warm drinks and called yourselves S.H.I.E.L.D, Director Danvers had us fighting a real war!”

Weapon Twenty sat and watched. In particular a female agent across the table. She was wearing a Shield uniform. Only the grey eagle that adorned the uniforms of everyone else wore a yellow lightning bolt on her chest. The agent also was wearing a domino mask that covered her eyes and had black hair. {Is it dress like a super-hero day and we missed it? Want me to deploy the armor so we fit in?}

“And you glorified mercenaries wouldn’t have lasted that long if it weren’t for the resources we sent you! Resources that could have better protected the homeland!” Said the other agent as he too got up from the table and stood over the edge as if to make himself bigger. “But if we need a large-scale retreat I know who to call don’t I?!”

“Enough! Both of you!” The masked agent snapped. The woman grabbed both of their attention. “We need a plan. I am for one not leading a team half blind into enemy territory. Now Weapon Twenty was able to cross the border using his suits stealth systems. We have that same technology in our own troop transports.”

Both of the arguing agents sat down and avoided looking at each other. “True.” Said another agent that looked relieved to get back on topic. “But our stealth drives can’t hide the mass of a dozen transports crossing the border at the same time. Just because they won’t see us doesn’t mean their sensors won’t catch something crossing over.”

Lodestone who had sat in on the meeting as a newly appointed Commander of the Imperial Guard added to the conversation by saying, “My powers over magnetism can scramble their sensors up until we reach Hamburg. The city has been deserted so they won’t look into any anomaly so quickly. We can be gone by the time they send a scout party.”

“With all due respect Commander that might not even be enough. After the takeover of the DMZ the Iron Army has been on high alert all over Europe for any New Latverian military action. It is believable they would send a unit to investigate at even the slightest abnormality.” Weapon Twenty replied. "We just can't know what will happen."

“At best that would give us a few hours.” Said another agent at the table.

“A few hours to investigate is all we need.” Said the masked agent Weapon Twenty was still looking at. She seemed familiar. It was the way she spoke. Her face. Even if he couldn’t see her cheek bones or her hair was different it all had an overly familiar quality. “With the border to New Germany being locked down they’d know we were up to something from the start.”

The masked woman looked at Weapon Twenty for the first time during the meeting and said, “Can you get that A.I. to disrupt the Iron Army’s communications network around and leading to Hamburg?”

“Yes.” Weapon Twenty answered confidently.

“Then I say that’s our plan.” Said the masked woman. “If we can’t hide going into New Germany then we won’t. Lodestone will use her powers to scramble their systems, while the War Machine makes sure they can’t organize themselves long enough for us to get in and back out before they know what’s up.”

The rest of the agents went over the more technical aspects of the operation. They all agreed that that was the best plan they could come up with and ironed out the specifics, discussed back up plans and other options. Weapon Twenty listened.

Later:

The meeting was over a few hours later. Weapon Twenty sat on the roof of headquarters preparing himself for the incursion. Tomorrow his was going to be leaving with Lodestone and a company of Shield agents into New Germany. The plan was set. “Thank you.” Said a female voice behind him.

Weapon Twenty turned his head to see the same masked woman from the briefing. “For what Queen Danvers?”

The masked woman smirked as the top of her head shimmered with golden light. The masked woman’s hair changed from black to blond and the mask to had disappeared. Carol Danvers had revealed herself, “Am I that obvious?”

“Nobody else seemed to notice. I do think the mask is a little old fashion.” Weapon Twenty quipped.

Carol shrugged and walked forward, “I guess I’m just old fashion. Thanks for keeping it to yourself, War Machine.”

Weapon Twenty just stared out at the sun setting over Doomstadt. This all had been very personal for him. He was a part of the Iron Army. When he protested their brutality, he was ejected from the army. Now he was helping what he had learned from his youth was the enemy. “I want the Project over. Hunting down Weapon Plus operatives and getting rid of Wide Awake has given me a reason to help you this last year.”

Carol sat and joined Weapon Twenty at the edge of the roof, “That’s great. But what do you want? You could have done anything, but after Ngumi saved you, you stayed.”

Weapon Twenty stretched his arm out before him. He looked at the cybernetic nodules that allowed him to summon his War Machine armor. “It’s what I’m for. What they built me for. I’m just a weapon that happens to have the ability to pick what I shoot at.”

“That’s crap!” Carol said harshly. “Believe me I know how it feels to go against something you used to feel strongly about. Before all this I was a Colonel in the United States Air Force, a super-hero and I wanted to protect the world. My choices have affected innocents in more ways than one when fighting against Stryfe. Not all of them have been good.”

“Then why do you do it? It’s been two hundred years. You’re still fighting.” Weapon Twenty asked. He turned to Carol. She slowly floated into the air and turned to him.

“I found my reason to keep going. I want to get the world I swore to protect back from Stryfe.” Carol had flown around and hovered in front of Weapon Twenty with her arms crossed. With a fierce look in her eye she continued, “When you find your reason, tell me. See you on the field tomorrow.” With that Carol shot into the air and quickly disappeared. Carol left Weapon Twenty with his thoughts as he stared into the setting sun.

To be continued

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Cool, this is building up nicely.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Time_Phantom

@joshmightbe: Thank you! Next chapter we'll get some action! And more of the consequences of certain events including Wide Awake.

@cbishop thanks for cataloging!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@time_phantom: I do like War Machine's armour, much more personable than Darius', but it is how they are both very similar and very different.

And I hate General Kurske, I wish great harm upon him (so well done creating such a hateable stark!)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Casual bump