Marvel: Iron Age - Mockingbird the Avenger part 5

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PrinceIMC

THE CHARACTERS IN THIS STORY ARE BASED OFF CHARACTERS AND SETTINGS THAT ARE THE PROPERTY OF MARVEL INC. AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, I THOUGHT OF THE STORY BUT THE WORLD IS THEIRS

(Continued from the previous chapter: Mockingbird the Avenger - Part 4)

The new allies retreated to the Black Knight's castle kept safe and hidden with both magic and technology. Often people from the wilds would be brought there before the Black Knight could get them to safety. Arthur still didn't trust Nagual but Mockingbird sensed something within him and insisted he help them plan their siege.

They planned late into the night and then the next day, they all contributed to parts of the plan as if they had been working together for years. The next day they would wait for hours for the proper time to enact their plan. And Mockingbird hated waiting so she tried to learn more about her new allies. Knowing that asking Nagual about his past would probably bring hours of explanation for each of his titles she turned to the Black Knight instead.

"So where did you get that sword of yours Arthur?"

He looked down to the sword sheathed at his waist, he never went anywhere without it and only took it off to sleep.

"A family heirloom. I inherited it from my mother, who inherited it from her father. Stretching all the way back to the court of King Arthur and Camelot."

Arthur glances to Nagual with an odd look. Mockingbird gets the impression he doesn't want to explain any more in front of the cat-man. She'll have to ask him why not later. Instead she asks something else.

"What about that dragon of yours? Lockheed right?"

The Black Knight snickers. "Oh he isn't my dragon, we just work together. He likes to pretend to be an animal but is actually a cunning warrior. His part of the attack was actually his idea. When I first began setting up my 'underground' he saved my life twice and decided that if he didn't watch my back I'd probably end up dead."

And that seems to be the end of that story as well. But seeing what she is trying to do Arthur asks a question of his own.

"What about you Nora, where did you get your equipment? Your training?"

Nagual was bored with Black Knight's stories but perks up with Black Knight's questions to Mockingbird.

"Yes, I could see you were weaponless and then suddenly you had a sword in your hand, is it magic?" The cat-man asks.

"Not exactly. It's a long story, I don't want to bore you both to tears."

Glancing at the two men. If she weren't there they'd probably be at each others throats for no reason. She's the one holding them together. If she can distract them with her story then she'll do it. She leans forward in her chair and stairs into the fire. Despite the castle having a fair share of advanced technology this room is still heated by flame.

"Well I guess I'll start at the beginning. My mom was a genius, the Reed Richards of her generation. Of course being such a genius Ferrum wanted her working for them. If she didn't they would start by killing my father and then move on to everyone else she knew."

This is of course information that Mockingbird didn't know as a child, she never suspected her parents weren't free, most children don't.

"Together my parents discovered a number of things, some they tried to keep from Ferrum's eyes. One secret was the discovery of a Pym Pocket created by the Avenger Hank Pym during the last days of the Age of Heroes. It seems he created it as a time capsule of Avengers technology and weaponry. Ferrum realized that my parents were keeping technology secret and tried to make an example of them. One night the Iron Soldiers came for us in our home, but my mother managed to get me to the Pym Pocket and closed the door behind me to prevent anyone else from finding me. I was ten years old."

Both of the other men are enthralled by her story. A girl on her own living in a time capsule, how could she become the woman telling the story.

"Luckily the Pym Pocket was fully automated, it had years of food in storage and run by a computer program patterned after the Avenger's most trust-worthy ally, Edwin Jarvis. There was even an Avengers Combat Education program that I eventually convinced Edwin to use to train me. Many of the Avengers had weaponry that Pym managed to gather together and I trained with all of them. Using a Pym particle storage system I carry all that technology with me in my gauntlets. When I was 16 the food storage was running low and I left my safehouse for the first time."

"It was the scariest moment of my life being on my own, out in the world. Sure I was armed but I had only been able to watch parts of the outside world since I was ten. I got to see the world for what it really was, smell it, taste it, feel it and I decided I had to try to set things right again. I had to Avenge it."

Her eyes don't leave the fire, in it's tongues of flame she can almost see the events of her life playing back. Nagual and Arthur are similarly spellbound by Nora's face.

"Over the next 9 years I made contacts, traded food for information and information for assistance. Edwin helped me assemble a suit with more technology and I started taking
the fight to the Iron Army. I chose the name Mockingbird because I use the technology of other Avengers, well that and the wings. I've even got some devices from your predecessor the Black Knight of the Age of Heroes. Do you want them back?"

Arthur manages a smile after her story and pats the ebony blade on his hip. "I have enough family heirlooms I think."

"Well, that's who I am. And tomorrow we are going to find out what Ferrum is up to and try to stop it from hurting anyone else. But for now I think it is time to rest. Big day tomorrow."

Nagual nods and kneels before her, he doesn't say much but he moves on to the room Arthur offered him. Arthur leads Nora to her own room finally giving her a chance to ask why he distrusts Nagual so much.

"It's just....well this will sound silly but one of the titles he called himself yesterday: "Cath Palug". It is from Arthurian legend, it was a monster, a savage beast that needed to be put down. It was King Arthur who had to do it....I can't help but wonder if he is going to kill me like ancient Arthur did to him."

She's a little shocked, sure this guy is named Arthur but he's no relation to King Arthur. His ancestors were part of Arthur's court but Nagual couldn't possibly be the same from legend.

"But he couldn't be the original, the original is dead. If he weren't dead then he would have no reason to want to kill you back. Besides it's not like you're the reincarnation of King Arthur. Are you?"

They stand in front of the door to Nora's room.

"Goodnight Nora."

Is his only response as he heads off to his own room.

(Continues in the next chapter: Mockingbird the Avenger - Part 6)

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

I know I promised some answers about Mace, sorry they aren't in this chapter. Once I had written out Mockingbird's origin I didn't think I could do it plus the action and then discoveries I have planned all in one chapter. I hope you guys are still with me. The next one will be the penultimate chapter of this current storyline....I think.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AweSam

Nice job. It's good to take a break from the usual stuff every here and there. I plan on writing more about my characters later on.

Avatar image for tomdickharry1984
tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Trapped in a bubble for 7yrs with Jarvis telling you what to do...she's lucky she isnt mad! :) Another great read and in the fullnes of time well find out who the F!@#$ Mace is...my bet is Adam Strange only coz he's also gold

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By batkevin74

Nice story, love Mockingbird's origin. Also was curious about Arthur's ebony blade coz the last time I saw the ebony blade was when Namor killed Marrina in an Avengers comic and Dane Whitman went a bit mental...wow info overload! Love the ebony blade. Carry on, please ignore the ranting nut

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrinceIMC
@batkevin74 said:

@PrinceIMC Nice story, love Mockingbird's origin. Also was curious about Arthur's ebony blade coz the last time I saw the ebony blade was when Namor killed Marrina in an Avengers comic and Dane Whitman went a bit mental...wow info overload! Love the ebony blade. Carry on, please ignore the ranting nut

Well in the comics Dane got it back, then lost it again, then got it back again. It always seems to find it's way to him and his descendents. But yeah there's more to Arthur and Nagual than meets the eye. But those discoveries are for later.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

@tomdickharry1984: you mean Adam Warlock?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrinceIMC
@joshmightbe said:

@tomdickharry1984: you mean Adam Warlock?

Man I didn't even think of Adam Warlock....I almost named him Adam too....that woulda been a huge misdirect. Heh.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

@PrinceIMC: If you had named him Adam I'd probably be thinking that it was him too

Avatar image for tomdickharry1984
tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Yeah that's him the gold dude who had the infinity gautle. Well it aint Mace Windu :)