Marvel: Iron Age - Mockingbird the Avenger part 2

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PrinceIMC

THE CHARACTERS IN THIS STORY ARE BASED OFF CHARACTERS AND SETTINGS THAT ARE THE PROPERTY OF MARVEL INC. AND THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, I THOUGHT OF THE STORY BUT THE WORLD IS THEIRS

(Continued from the previous chapter: Mockingbird the Avenger - Part 1)

Mockingbird's Safe House

"Okay Edwin here's the data I recovered. I only managed to get about 15% but hopefully there's something useful there."

The woman who calls herself Mockingbird inserts her computer key-card into the safe house's main computer for analysis. As the computer makes sense of the information she sits in the nearest chair propping her feet up on the console and starts removing her boots.

"For high tech Vibranium boots you'd think they'd be more comfortable." She says to nobody in particular.

~I'm sorry ma'am?~ A computerized voice responds.

"No, nothing Edwin, what have we got?"

She leans forward elbows on the console removing the gauntlets that are part of her costume. Steepling her fingers she realizes she's been wearing her costume for 24 hours, no wonder it was starting to feel uncomfortable. The last step is to remove her mask with the cybernetic lenses and place it on the console. Once she looks over the information she's going to crash for at least 12 hours.

~I am sorry ma'am but really there is not much here. It seems that the armor you found was not merely a suit of armor, it was a cyborg. Some kind of new specialized weapon.~

"Wait wait...there was something living in there? Well I guess that makes sense, why else build something that big? And it came from behind the Sea Wall....could it be some kind of new genetic monstrosity glad in Iron Armor?"

~There is insufficient information regarding the source of the living material but it seems a logical assumption.~

Mockingbird stands up and begins to pace in front of the computer. "Anything else?"

~The technical specifications are incomplete, there seem to be advances in this unit we have not seen before.~

"Sorry Ed but there wasn't much time, I was sort of in a crashing ship." She stops her pacing. "Maybe next time you can go and I'll stay here being all immobile."

~Perhaps next time you should investigate first and then commit to the sabotage.~

"......"

A scathing response dies in her throat when she realizes that the computer is right. She plops back down into the chair with a sigh. Why does he always have to be right? Bad enough he treats her like a child. If it were possible for a computer to smirk it would probably be doing so.

~I can surmise from the technical specifications you did retrieve that this unit has a level of strength and durability not usually found in units of this size. It also seems to have a new type of regenerative capabilities. However it's current armaments however were fewer than you'd expect in a prototype this advanced.~

"Stronger than other units of this size? The thing was massive, you could fit the Golden Hulk inside that thing."

The Golden Hulk is a kind of urban legend in Australia like Sasquatch used to be for North America. That is before the actual Sasquatch species was discovered, though they were probably dissected into extinction. Besides the stories of the Golden Hulk only stretch back 60 years. It's probably just some mutant or mutate made after the nuking of Papua New Guinea.

"But regeneration is nothing we haven't seen before...right?" Now she's wishing she put a few explosive charges on the thing before she left, but it's sitting at the bottom of the ocean anyway....she hopes.

~This appears to be something else. Also it's lack of weaponry implies that it was on it's way for final arming at a Ferrum facility in the United States.~

"Well good thing I destroyed it then." Mockingbird says as she puts her feet back up on the console.

~....~

"It was destroyed. When the sea water hit the damaged power conduits the explosive should have....unless it's stronger, more durable and has regenerative abilities greater than other units. Yeah, of course."

The computer continues. ~It appears to have escaped the crash and continued on towards it's original destination, somewhere in the United States. Ferrum has begun recovery of the materials from the air fortress as we suspected. However it does appear the framing of Jason Shaw worked as we wished. Malcolm Shaw will not be in charge of Europe, he will be lucky to be put in charge of a decommissioned storage facility.~

'Thank Heaven for small victories' Mockingbird thinks to herself as she stands up starting to make her way out of the computer room on her way to the sleeping quarters. "Anything else in the information?"

~Just a name. It was called 'Project Thunder'.~

"'Project Thunder'? Why on Earth would they call it that?" She says again to nobody in particular as the lights dim behind her.

------------------------------------

Project Thunder Staging Facility

Jr. Tech: "So the air fortress was shot down but we're still expecting arrival at the scheduled time?"

Sr. Tech: "It was sabotaged, not shot down, by Malcolm Shaw's son. And if the prototype could be destroyed in a simple crash it wouldn't be much use to us would it? Or require a whole facility just for its deployment?"

They both stand on the roof of a massive structure built in the middle of nowhere. It is beginning to rain but the energy field around the building keeps the rain from touching them.

Jr. Tech: "I guess. But this facility isn't just for the one unit. We can house dozens of them here."

Sr. Tech: "But there is no timetable for when they'll be ready. Thunder is the prototype, if it works then we can expect more. Eventually."

Lightning begins to arc across the sky illuminating the wild area around the tower for brief seconds. There are all kinds of deadly beasts out there but no reason to fear them even if the force shield falls the building is fortified. Feeling uncomfortable the junior technician tries to make small talk.

Jr. Tech: "What a miserable night...."

Sr. Tech: "If we don't succeed in arming Thunder properly when it gets here then you'll know misery. The Chairman will have our heads if it isn't capable of bringing Exodus back down."

The junior tech now knows why nobody sits with the senior tech in the commissary. But off in the distance he spots the approaching cyborg with his own cybernetic irises. Standard issue for the people in the facility if they're going to be working on micro-circuitry of prototype weapons. The force shield opens for just a moment just long enough to allow Thunder land on the roof before closing again.

Jr. Tech: "Well he looks in good shape at least."

Sr. Tech: "It's an it, not a he, and of course it does. This is a masterpiece of cybernetics and will put down any stupid enough to fight the Iron Rule."

The junior tech just nods and activates the elevator platform to take them inside as the roof then closes above them.

-------------------------------------

The Australian Outback

Ever since the destruction of Papua New Guinea Australia has become a much more dangerous place. Radiation has swept through the country killing or mutating most of the wildlife. Though the largest cities have radiation screens cancer and radiation poisoning is common in the slums and a radioactive sandstorm can threaten anyone who is not prepared.

Even in this day and age of scientific achievement though there are still rumors, urban legends, even myths that can't be explained. Australia's current urban legend is a golden behemoth living in the outback, which has earned the nickname 'Golden Hulk'. The Iron Army denies any existence of a Hulk in the outback, golden or otherwise, chalking up missing Iron Soldiers to dangerous mutants.

Little do they know that the 'Golden Hulk' is quite real, though he just wishes to be left alone. He wanders the outback trying to find his way home though he shies away from others. A few times he has saved mutants from Iron Soldiers but has always fled afterwards thus creating the stories that are told.

Deep in a cave the so-called 'Golden Hulk', calls himself another name, draws on cave walls with whatever he can find. There are letters and numbers drawn with crayons, markers and paints, even pictures of locations carved directly into the rock.

"Home." He wistfully touches the crude drawing of his first memories. A home he left but wasn't there when he got back.

(Continues in the next chapter: Mockingbird the Avenger - Part 3)

Avatar image for tomdickharry1984
tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Holy $#!+!!!! That is the best thing I've read today! (Can't say ever, still have ever to go) That's insane and good and where's the rest and why isn't this a comic book!?!/????

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

Golden Hulk in the Iron Age. I see what you did there.

Great story!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

Great job, can't wait for the next chapter

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By batkevin74

You have raised the bar my friend, great read thoroughly engaging!

tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Read it agin...brilliant. Edwin as in Edwin Jarvis? You're tying the world together.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Time_Phantom

This was good, better than good. I want mawr! Anyways this was wonderfully writen. Keep up the excellent work.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PrinceIMC
@tomdickharry1984 said:
Read it agin...brilliant. Edwin as in Edwin Jarvis? You're tying the world together.
Maybe....Most of the characters I'm going to be using in this set of stories are going to have some kind of connection to Avengers from the Age of Heroes. Some are going to be more obvious than others. I think people are gonna be surprised when they find out more about the Golden Hulk.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

@PrinceIMC: I'm assuming Golden Hulk isn't the Original Hulk

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PrinceIMC
@joshmightbe: He definitely isn't Hulk or Bruce Banner.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

@PrinceIMC: I didn't think so but I am very interested in finding out who it is

tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tomdickharry1984

Any more? Dont mean tp push/rush you but I am hanging!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By batkevin74

Bumped!

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

Well @PrinceIMC this only gets better. Nice job, I feel for this Golden Hulk scratching like a child on the wall wanting to go home. Very good job. Intrigued about this Project: Thunder you've set up (seems quite sinister and shady). Great work