TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Labyrinth Part 1.

Sewage.

Of all the places in the world that Baron Heinrich Zemo could be spending his morning it had to be surrounded by the collective waste of over 8 million degenerates.

"That's right, Simmons." Zemo said into his mask's communicator while trudging reluctantly through the green murk. "I am regretting my life choices."

Dressed in purple fabric permanently attached to his skin, Heinrich was no stranger to discomfort, having experienced agonizing pain endlessly for the first few years after the incident, yet with the heat radiating from the open manhole above, and the stench that seemed to bounce off the circular concrete walls that surrounded endless stretches of blackness, it was quickly becoming clear that what was supposed to have been a quick, easy mission was going to instead be more akin to torture, and Zemo, having experienced the brutal interrogation method many times in his life, was not a fan of the form.

A shrill, sonic sound popped from Heinrich's ear, resulting in it echoing across the caverns ahead. Taking note that such a sound could alert any enemies to his presence, Zemo lowered the volume and decided to adopt a much more quieter approach when it came to maneuvering through the area.

"You've been through worse." The cheerful tone of HYDRA agent, Jemma Simmons seemed to tear into Zemo's mind, resulting in a painful throbbing in the back of his skull. Once again he attempted to adjust the standard issue HYDRA comm device to a much more preferable setting, only to be disappointed upon learning he was unable to switch it off. "Just find the target and extract him. Simple."

"Maybe to you, in your clean, quiet office." Zemo grumbled, keeping one hand ready on his sword's sheath, while the other clung somewhat nervously to the tracking device clipped to the tactical belt around the Baron's waist, designed in such a way that it provided quick, easy access to any weapon he desired at any given time. "But down here, covered in filth and struggling to breathe, I can't think of anything-"

A loud shriek filled the air suddenly, making the humid air suddenly turn cold, and as a result, chilling Zemo down to his core. Preparing his sword for whatever threat may appear, the Baron noticed the liquid by his feet was beginning to ripple and flow unnaturally.

"-worse." Heinrich finished just as a large, humanoid figure burst out from the water before him, revealing a tall, furry creature with blood red eyes and claws waiting at the ready to rip him in two.

Three hours earlier.

How would HYDRA, a global agency designed to protect the planet, actually deal with an issue that threatened their base of operations? As time has shown repeatedly, they'd call in an outside expert with skills that simply aren't normally useful to the organization, or entirely legal.

Scurrying through the streets at an unnatural pace, the poor, sorry creature that had once been known as Edward Whelan knew fear. These strange, alien surroundings frightened him, and as Edward knew far too well, the people living on the surface were nasty, cruel creatures. Pausing briefly in the dark, black street, this creature stopped to catch his breath, and in his horror noticed a terrifying image in the window before him. A thin, hollow face stared at Edward, with light grey fur making the monster closely resemble the rats that had populated the various homes the man had lived in during his younger years, yet his eyes were still human.... he could tell by the fear he saw reflected in them.

"VERMIN!" Edward screeched before turning to flee at tremendous speeds, only to stop himself upon catching a scent in the pink, stubby flesh that now composed this beast's nose. Everything around him was overwhelming to his senses, all the smells surrounding this man threatened to tear him apart, yet one scent seemed to rise above the rest, with it growing ever closer to the Vermin creature, like a predator about to pounce on its prey. "Leave me alone!" He yelled into the looming black night

It was the scent of pure, cold death, mixed with something that vaguely resembled the hair lotion that Edward's mother had worn everyday before she'd passed away.

"Doctor Whelan." Red fabric unfolded from a nearby street lamp, unraveling towards the ground where it revealed a female with long black hair, red robes and two sai blades equipped to the straps on her legs. "Stop running."

Fear clouded Edward's mind, making him desire to run and somehow escape from this strange woman.

"Who... who are you?! Leave me alone!" He screeched once again in a strong, raspy voice unlike what the man had once used.

"I'm here to help you." The woman said, standing tall and staring her target right in the eyes, unflinchingly showing her superiority to what appeared to be a scared little boy in a monster's body. "Make this simple and come with me. Please."

Edward could sense the female's breathing, feeling her pulse all the way from across the street, and sensing that she was telling the truth, he began to calm down. This woman, contrary to appearances, was indeed here to help Edward return to his normal state of being, something he wanted desperately, yet was unable to correctly fathom. However, there was a voice, a void that seemed to echo in this man's head, telling him that this woman, this... assassin, was in fact lying. She was definitely going to hurt him if she got the chance, she'd stick him with needles, cut him open and make it so that Edward would never be alone again.

"NO!!" Vermin yelled before charging towards his target with what amounted to pure hatred and vemon, igniting claws and raising them far above his head in the hopes of tearing his foe apart. "LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Dodging out the way of the rodent's assault, the female assassin stepped out of the way with all the grace and skill of a ballet dancer, while equipping the twin sai she'd chosen as her trademark, one that spawned fear in anyone who saw it.

"Vermin's escaping." She said, watching the creature vanish into the distance. Gripping her blades, the woman expertly climbed up a nearby street lamp, leaped onto a fire escape, ignoring the surprised civilian standing upon it, and began her pursuit of the creature from the rooftops where she was in her element.

"Get after him, Elektra." Agent Simmons ordered via the device in the female assassin's ear. "That man's a walking bomb!"

Elektra, proud protector of Hell's Kitchen and all its residents, watched silently as Vermin ripped open a manhole cover in the streets before jumping in.

"He's in the sewers. I will pursue."

"Wait for backup." Simmons instructed as the assassin stood over the gaping hole of pure hell. "It's suicide on your own. We'll call in Z-"

"No time." The vigilante said. "If I fail, everyone in Manhattan could become like the Doctor." Tying her hair into a tight ponytail and dropping the communicator to the ground in order to avoid any distractions, Elektra began to quickly clamber down the manhole ladder, prepared for any potential conflict.

"Elektra, wait!"

However it was too late, the woman had already vanished.

Now

Baron Zemo frowned beneath his mask as the large, furry figure of what appeared to be Vermin began to approach him, a sadistic smile spreading across its face at the sight of seemingly helpless prey. Through years of combat experience, Zemo had been prepared for nearly any situation, with this being one of the few exceptions.

"Simmons, your tracking device needs work." He said, backing away slowly as the rat creature began to give off a low growling noise. "The b@stard's right in front of me."

"That's not Doctor Whelan." Simmons explained. "It's the first operative we sent in."

Zemo's eyes widened, showcasing his unease to his opponent. "Elektra." He muttered, with the beast's response being to raise its claws in an offensive position.

"Take her out, Zemo!" Simmons yelled as Heinrich ducked under a quick slash from the transformed assassin. Gripping his sword, Zemo swiped it into the sewer water, spraying the liquid into Elektra's face, catching her off guard. Following this with a quick smack to the face with the brunt of his sword, the Baron couldn't help but smirk slightly as his foe stumbled backward, evidently disorientated by the attack.

"We haven't met." Zemo said as Elektra began to prepare for another assault, claws at the ready. "But you should know better than to attack me."

Moving his sword into a defensive position, one of the world's mightiest heroes winced slightly as sparks flew through the air thanks to the clashing between pure steel and bone. With his free hand, having dropped the tracker, Zemo reached into his belt and grabbed the canister of fire spray he had on hand, a chemical he'd designed for close quarters combat. Bright orange liquid shot from the canister's nozzle, landing directly in the creature's eyes, resulting in a wail of pain that Zemo knew would haunt him endlessly. Flailing wildly with its hands, Elektra forced Zemo to duck beneath one of her attacks, resulting in claw marks going down the side of the sewer wall, resulting in small pieces of concrete being stuck to the beast's claws.

"Very sorry." The Baron said just before swiping under Elektra's legs, pinning her to the ground with his boot at her throat and by placing all his weight down upon her. "Simmons." Heinrich said, referring to the communicator in his ear. "I've defeated Elektra, however require immediate support to ensure that she doesn't escape."

A crackle filled the man's ear, briefly distracting him from his surroundings. Beneath Zemo's boot the twisted creature that had once been the most dangerous woman alive wriggled and struggled like a cockroach, yet was still evidently confused by the beating she had just sustained.

"Don't worry." Jemma said from the Baron's ear, cool and collected like a good little HYDRA agent. "Our third contingency is already en route."

Confusion flashed through Zemo's mind, curiosity generated by the woman's wording arose suspicion, and he found himself incapable of not knowing the truth.

"Who?" He asked with an ounce of arrogance ever present in his voice. Yet before Agent Simmons could respond, white hot pain shot up from Heinrich's leg, courtesy of the carnivorous creature currently sinking its teeth into his flesh. Screaming in shocked pain, Zemo cracked Elektra over the skull with his sword hilt, before desperately stumbling away from his foe in the hopes of clearing his head from the mind numbing pain that had taken hold of it.

Leaning against the sewer wall and trying desperately to keep his wound clear of the ghastly water, Zemo found his foe standing tall above him, having seemingly recovered quickly from the previous assault.

"Sh!t." The Baron sighed as claws once again reemerged from the creature's hand. Loose fingers attempted to hold onto his weapon, and failed miserably. More than ready to meet his end, Heinrich stared right into his opponent's blood red eyes.

Two quick sharp sounds suddenly filled the sewer tunnel, and Zemo found that Elektra's bloody eyes had been matched by the blood oozing from her arm, with the culprits, two darts shaped like cartoon bats, responsible for the look of confusion and pain the creature was currently giving off.

What followed next, as the creature began to transform, was yet another scream of pain, yet this one was evidently more human than the one prior. Elektra seemed to shrink, her body mass growing smaller every second until she finally reached her normal height. The fur and eyes were replaced with more human counterparts, with what had once been a terrible creature hellbent on death, having been replaced with a woman, seemingly normal in appearance.

It was at that moment, Zemo noticed the sound of an engine, resembling those used by rockets and jets, yet much smaller in comparison to the massive vehicles. In the distance and the dark an orange flare appeared to be floating on the water's surface, growing ever closer to the exhausted Zemo.

"Oh, Baron's old and bold!" A low, yet cheerful voice rang out. "Seeking creatures strange and cold!" In the dark, a metal glider appeared, spouting thick flame from its back, and atop this vehicle was a man that Zemo had never met, yet was more than familiar with. "With monsters large and hobbling..." Stepping down into the sewer, Heinrich saw the man was dressed in some sort of strange green scale armour, with a purple jacket and hot seemingly placed over the suit. "...just wait till they meet the Goblin." A wide grin appeared across the man's mask as he glared down at the injured Baron.

"Good to finally meet you!" Norman Osborn said, outstretching a gloved hand to his new ally. Zemo, looking up at the lunatic before him, instead chose to stand up of his own accord.

"Green Goblin..." He mumbled, almost reminding himself of who he was talking to. "What in God's name are you wearing?"

Next Issue: Goblin Town!

Note: Thanks for reading guys, I've been gone for awhile, so if this issue is bad than that's my excuse. If it's good than I'm obviously just an amazing talent who has no flaws and can never fail. :)

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By dngn4774

@tommythehitman: Pretty sweet! I personally wouldn't go into too much detail on weapons or gear because infodumps tend to drag the momentum of the scene. Try to frame those types of images with either as few words as possible or pepper them in between action sequences.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Thanks! Yeah I think I just got carried away at times.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@tommythehitman: Got to admit I was a wee bit suprised about Elektra being a hero, and more so on Vermin being a villain. As dmgn stated don't go too much into gear when you don't have too. Other than that, twas a good tale.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Elektra, staying true to her series, is the protector of Hell's Kitchen, in contrast to Daredevil who is the neighbourhood's tyrant. As for Vermin... this tale isn't finished yet, Cheese.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Zemo beating Elektra, interesting. Probably only possible because she was infected with rat germs :)

Be interesting to see how this pair work together.

Rack'em up, let's see another. You've been absent for a while so chop chop @tommythehitman :)

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Yeah, normally Elektra would blitz Zemo pretty easily, which is (subtle) why she was contacted before our lovely Baron.

Yeah. I'm just working on the Steampunk contest, then I'll get into issue 2.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers