Legendary Heroes Chapter 2 (Gauntlet: Dark Legacy)

RichGenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RichGenX
Author's Intro

Well, as January 29th ends, I'm presenting Chapter 2 of my Gauntlet Dark Legacy fic, Legendary Hereos. The second chapter, Beastly Barbarian was the second chapter that was a complete rewrite of a pervious attempt. Like the previous posted chapter, I'm actually pleased with how the rewrite came out. I do hope you enjoy this one, as well as the previous chapter. You can find the previous chapter at the following link.

As of August 15th, I've updated the look of this chapter.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy Disclaimer

Attention: Gauntlet Dark Legacy is the property of whomever owns the creative IP for it. The story is not official canon, but is based off the game.

No Caption Provided

Legendary Heroes

Previous ChapterForsaken Hero(Audio)

Chapter 2: Beastly Barbarian (Audio)

Of all of the eight realms, none had the majestic peaks of the Mountain Kingdom. While from a distance they were beautiful to look at, they were actually a rugged terrain that only the toughest could survive. In fact, the only people who could tame the land was the barbarian people who called it home. They were tough enough to fight off the Orcs that hid in the mountain, survive the stings of the Scorpions, and withstand the fiery breath of the Demons. However, no single warrior could take on the occasional dragon.

Teams of warriors were tasked with defeating the dragons. One such team had been assembled, and they had made their way to a dragon's lair. They had not entered the lair yet. It was always best to set up a plan, and the warrior who had that plan was Tybear. His name was already being included with the likes of Untar, the legendary warrior who could wield an axe of mystical ice.

Tybear had heard legends of the axe. The mystical weapon would freeze any dragon, but would only reveal itself to a true legend. It would also freeze any dragon on contact. Legend also stated that one dragon that had terrorized the Mountain Kingdom was powerful enough to break free of the spell. Deep down, he hoped that dragon wasn't back, and wasn't this one. The dragon his team was about to take one had already killed one group of warriors. Tybear, however, did not think the dragon had been overly to blame. The warrior leading that group, Leeroy, had taken the unusual method of using his name as a battle cry.

With that fiasco in mind, Tybear looked in, noticing the dragon appeared to be sleeping. He noticed all the rocks set up, and that it would be easy to hide behind them. He turned to the others and said, "We may have the advantage of our prey being asleep. We move in, quickly and quietly, using the rocks for cover. If we do it right, we can move in, and cut the beast down with our battleaxes before it awakens."

The warriors following Tybear nodded, and the group entered the lair. They needed this lucky break, since during the trek to this lair, the number of foul creatures in the mountains had increased. During past attacks on dragons, the monster number didn't increase like it had. It was something that had wore down the group. Once they were in the lair, there was only one beast to fight, and as they cautiously advanced, some odd things started to happen.

The first was only noticed by Tybear at first. He had felt a sudden chill. This was very odd, since a dragon's fiery nature caused a large amount of heat. He also realized that the chill was coming from his battleaxe. For a brief moment, the axe, which had been handed down from generation to generation, was coated in frost, and then changed from metal to ice.

The second thing was noticed by everyone else. While Tybear was focused on his axe, one of the warriors with him shouted, “The Dragon is awake." He saw this was true. The beast had been feigning sleep, and the one who had shouted was the second to be incinerated. At that moment, Tybear felt his quest would be doomed to failure.

As more of the warriors fell, Tybear let loose a mighty bellow, and hurled his axe at the beast. The second the blade struck the beast, the dragon appeared to be encased in ice. Tybear turned to urge any warriors left to attack, but he was dumbstruck by what he saw. All of them were dead, their corpses nothing more than charred remains. He then faced the dragon again, still frozen in ice, and paused.

At first, he thought he was facing another minion of the dragon, or some other foul mountain creature. It looked human, but its torso and head looked more like a bull. When it mirrored his movements, he realized what he was seeing. It was himself, except he had changed into the form of a minotaur. He was a hero of legend, for only they could do that.

He had been so stunned by that revelation that he didn't move until he heard the ice cracking. At first, he thought the dragon was breaking apart, but then he saw the truth. The ice was falling off the beast. He looked at his hands, and noticed that the axe had returned to his hands, but before he could throw it again, the dragon swung its claw, and sent the Ice Axe flying through the air.

In that moment, Tybear backed up, but to his surprise, the dragon didn't attack. It laughed, and even spoke. "So, the spawn of that blasted Untar exists. Skorne warned me that the blasted warrior had sired a line. You can even take on that blasted bestial form. That won't help you now. I shall wipe out all of your line, and all of your people." Tybear took the dragon's ranting as a break, and got out of the lair.

He heard the beast roar, but he also realized that he could no longer understand it. He also felt his body had resumed the shape of a human being, but that was a small condolence as he made his way back to the village they had. The dragon was the one Untar had slain, and like the legends stated, was a minion of Skorne. If Skorne was returning, the mountains would start erupting again. All life on the mountains would be destroyed, and the rocks might even come to life, as the legend stated.

He knew what he had to do. He first needed to warn his people, and have them get to safety. Then, he would have to reclaim the Ice Axe. It was the only weapon that would weaken the dragon. To do that, however, he would have to find help, and he was sure once his people heard the news, they would not want to help. The dragon was more than any of the other dragons had been.

When Tybear had finally reached his village, he saw the people had gathered, and were celebrating. They must have heard the roar of the dragon, and since he returned, thought he had killed it. Even Gisselle, the woman he was betrothed to, as well as the daughter of the elder, jumped up and wrapped herself around him. This did not surprise him, since a sign of affection like this was considered alright. It was also followed by one of the more passionate kisses she had ever given him. After the kiss ended, he saw her look him right in the eye. “Father wants to see you. I think he wants to congratulate you, and after that, I want to as well.”

Tybear started to feel worse, but he would not let it show. He didn’t want everyone to think he was a failure as a warrior. At least this would post pone the disappointment and outrage that would happen soon. He headed towards the Elder’s place, taking note that his betrothed was at his side. He honestly feared how she would react when she found out about his failure. He wasn’t even sure how the Elder would react. He only took strength that he was going to be telling the truth.

When they reached the home of the Elder, Tybear entered, and he noticed right away that the Elder knew the dragon wasn't dead. He also noticed that the Elder didn't look upset. In fact, the Elder looked thoughtful, as if he already knew what had happened up at the lair. Tybear started to speak, but the Elder held up his hand, and Tybear closed his mouth. After a moment of silence, the Elder just asked a question. "Did the axe turn to ice?"

Tybear gasped, wondering how the Elder knew that. He was even at a loss for words, but he nodded to acknowledge the truth. He heard his betrothed gasp, since that could only mean one thing. The Elder nodded again, and then said, "You heard the Dragon speak."

Tybear nodded again, and then realized it wasn't a question. He got down on one knee in front of the Elder, as a sign of acknowledging his leader. "Yes. I had also transformed, which is how I understood the thing. It said Skorne was returning." He heard another gasp come from his betrothed, but in that one, he could hear fear.

He then saw the Elder shake his head. "I was hoping this day would come well after my lifetime. When Untar first defeated that fowl beast ages ago, the legends say he heard the Dragon say it would return. Untar even felt it, and passed his Ice Axe down for the day it returned. He also said that it would take more than a single warrior to do it. It would take many types of warriors. Some skilled in magic, some skilled in speed."

Tybear nodded, and then remembered what happened to the Ice Axe. "We will also have to retrieve the Ice Axe." He saw the Elder nod, and realized the Elder must have seen the Ice Axe arc through the air. He glanced right at the Elder, and asked the question that just reached his mind. "Did you see where it went?"

The Elder shook his head, making Tybear worry. Then the Elder spoke, which gave Tybear hope. "It has left the Mountain Kingdom. I fear it has gone in to one of the other eight realms. You must leave now, Tybear, and get help from the Wizard Sumner."

At that point, Tybear heard a voice cry out in protest, and realized it was his betrothed. "Not the surreal tower at the base of our mountain. Any time a warrior goes there, they never seem to return. Father, Tybear and I are to be wed in a day's time. What about that?"

The Elder sadly shook his head, and Tybear realized this saddened him. "I know, Giselle. Sadly, if Tybear does not go, our clan will die, if not tomorrow, then someday soon. The demon Skorne will not let us survive, nor will he let the other realms survive. Plus, if the Dragon is to be defeated, we will need the Ice Axe again.” It was true. The only way that Dragon could be defeated was with the Ice Axe.

Tybear nodded, and then turned to Giselle. “My love, I must do this. Skorne’s Dragon will turn the Mountain Kingdom into a blazing inferno. No one will survive, and who knows what will happen to the other realms. If I don’t go now, we will never have a life together. I promise you this, though. I will return, and we will be wed.”

Tybear saw her nod. “Alright. Once the demon is gone, we will be wed. I want us to have a long happy life together.” He nodded, and then he left the Elder’s place. He did so quickly, since he didn’t want to be tempted to turn his back on his duty.

As he made his way out of the village, he heard people celebrating. Right now, they were celebrating a victory that never happened. When they learned that the Dragon was not gone, they would be upset, but it would be worse when they learn it was the Dragon of legend. No doubt, a panic would start, and the village would flee the mountains. Most likely, they would head to the very place he was heading now. Down to the base of the mountains, where the ethereal tower of Sumner stood. For a moment, he wondered what it would be like to stand at the base of the tower, since they said the tower stood in many lands all at once. Well, he would find out soon, and when he did, he would be ready for that adventure.

Next Chapter

Flight of the Valkyrie

(Audio)
Following Chapters
Library Page

RichGenX's Library - Legendary Heroes