Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

And Now, the Chase Scene

Shockwaves from a blinding, exploding planet ripple through the surrounding vacuum of space, sending any ships in its path spiraling out of control in the mayhem. Any ship, that is, except for the monolithic star cruiser holding the white robed Den Britchin. Den prowls the empty command center of the ship, searching for the ship carrying the one he so desperately craves. Normally, this kind of movement, so soon after expelling so much energy as to destroy a planet, would lead Den to unconsciousness. However, the very thought of having his enemy nearly in his grasp was enough to give Den the energy to keep going.

“Destiny,” he huffs, “is only true when you are alive, after all.”

Target located.

Den reals around towards the sound of the voice. On the floor to ceiling, encircling window, Den quickly spots the green triangle showing the location of the ship. By his will, he turns his ship and begins his pursuit. “I have you now.”

Meanwhile,

Jon fights away the feeling of throwing up all over his cockpit and quickly grabs ahold of the controls, slamming them to the left to stop ARK’s uncontrolled spiral. He feels the thrusters fire up and quickly begin to level out the ship. Jon lets himself breathe a sigh of relief when the entirety of space stops spinning around him.

Jonathan, we have an enemy ship locked on our position and in pursuit.”

“WHAT?” Jon quickly looks out the window but can only see at least two dozen ships still whirling from the planet’s explosion. “Which one?”

The big one.”

On cue, Jon sees the gigantic star cruiser barreling towards them, burning through the loose star ships in its path. He feels himself start to get sick again. He jumps when he feels a hand clasp onto his shoulder and his new passenger/client points at the corner of the star cruiser. “Alright, what you want to do is go at an angle, alright? Those kinds of ships, they have terrible turning capabilities. Go at it head on, angle it so that you’re barely over the top plating and-“

“DO YOU MIND?!” Jon snaps, slapping Pete’s hand away from the window. “Weren’t you on the couch, I don’t know, healing?! This is my ship, mister I-don’t-even-have-a-ride, and I pilot it the way I want to-“

“Pete actually has a point Jon,” Amy calls from the back, causing Jon to involuntarily cringe. Past vacation rides suddenly flash through his mind.

“I agree with Mr. Jackson and Amy, Jonathan.”

“As I was saying,” Jon says patiently. “This is my ship; I will fly it the way I want to fly it.” The star cruiser fires a round of torpedoes at Jon. “And right now I feel like I should go at this at an angle and…and whatever you guys said.”

The hummingbird-shaped ARK gracefully dodges the wave of torpedoes fired at it, it’s thrusters accelerating even more towards Den’s star cruiser. Den’s other star ships, having now recovered from Thrway’s explosion, immediately pursue ARK’s seemingly hostile action. The only problem? They don’t know how to maneuver around a deluxe star cruiser.

While ARK skims over the plating of the cruiser, the other star ships almost immediately scrap across the surface of their commander’s ship, doing more than just scratching the paint. In what he considers a show of brilliance, Jon releases of the remaining flares on the ship, causing the pursuing ships to scramble away from the flight path. Jon breathes a sigh of relief (again) when he clears the star cruiser and gets a healthy push from the cruiser’s massive thrusters.

Jon looks back at Pete and Amy, smiling his characteristic roguish grin and announces, “Well, I think we’re going to be home-“

Jon looks back just in time to watch from the screen as something from a movie played out on it. Behind ARK, Den’s star cruiser begins to morph, twisting its parts around to suddenly face forwards, towards Jon and his friends. Without losing a step, the cruiser clicks back into perfect shape and barrels once again towards ARK. Jon stares at the screen showing the transformation and his jaw drops to the floor.

Pete, suddenly overcome with the same weakness that he had when Jon met him, trembles. “I-I-I-I just got a bad-“

“DON’T!” Jon says, getting his senses back. “I’m the only one that makes movie references on this ship.”

Forcing what just happened out of his mind, Jon turns the thrusters on full blast to keep some distance between himself and the cruiser. He suddenly spies an asteroid ring and gets a crazy idea. “Now, hold on to your butts.”

Amy quickly realizes what Jon’s doing and grabs onto his seat as he turns towards the asteroids. “Jon, come on. You can’t be serious. We’re not going to be able to lose that THING in those rocks. It blew past those other space ships like they were Yulta gnats, it’d do the same to that ring.”

Jon pushes ARK to go faster. “Actually, Amy, I’m deadly serious. Because it’s not just the ring that we’re going through.”

Jon leaves it to ARK to navigate through the ring, coming out full blast as they shoot towards the now fully visible giant planet in front of them. The gravity sensor activates, normally meaning for Jon to ease off the gas, but Jon instead tries to go faster. Amy grabs ahold of Jon’s hair while Pete groans from the back. “Jon, pull up now, dammit. I didn’t spring you from an exploding planet just so that you could splatter me over a flarking planet!”

Jon ignores the pain of Amy slowly ripping his perfect hair out and pushes ARK on, the gravity sensor now blaring full blast. The cloudy atmosphere of the planet looms nearer and nearer. On the screen, Jon can see the cruiser slowly begin to decelerate its speed. Jon smiles even wider.

ARK breaks through the planet’s atmosphere, clouds blocking all visibility. Jon keeps the speed up, now only paying attention to ARK’s reading’s loading on pilot computer. “ARK, switch vision to thermal, please.”

The spaceshield immediately turns a bright yellow, giving Jon a good reading on the planet’s temperature. Gradually, it grows into an orange, with Jon slowly beginning to see a red object appearing in front of them. “ARK, make sure we clear the core without getting too burned. Keep us on our course through the planet, though, alright?”

Yes, Jon.”

Amy relaxes her grip on Jon’s hair, taking only a few of his follicles out as she watches Jon’s plan unfold. “It’s a gas giant. We’re literally going straight through a planet.”

Jon smiles up at her, half-way expecting a kiss. “Noticed it while I was bringing the princess back home. And having a planet between us and that cruiser sounds like a pretty…great thing, don’t you think?”

They pass around the core easily and plow through the other half of the planet with ease, coming out triumphantly knowing that the cruiser would have to bypass around the planet to reach them again. Amy pats Jon on the back and Jon shamelessly watches her as she goes back to the living room. He takes his eyes off of her to see Pete in the fetal position on the couch, eyes closed shut.

“Pete, we’re good.” Jon calls, laughing. “We’ve gone through the planet, we’re totally safe.”

Jon waits for Pete to say something, but Amy cautiously pokes the man and he falls over on the couch. “Yeah, Jon, he’s passed out…and he did something unspeakable on your couch, too.”

Of all of the things that has happened today, that is what makes Jon cry.

knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 1095

knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: I'll make sure that finds its way in the next chapter. An "Angry Den" moment if you will

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@cbishop: For Den he has to kind of recharge after using his powers on such a scale. Like an emo version of Yoda that's just a tear of the universe that gained sentience.

Oh! Here it is. Knight, you are forgiven. It appears you already posted the issue.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 222

knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: It kind of just...idk, stopped? I'm really at the point in the year, though, where school takes up most of my time. I'd write right now if I could but it just doesn't happen sometimes.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightofthechronicle: Similar circumstances have occurred to me. I'm at my last year before Uni so work has taken precedence.

knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 1095

@tommythehitman: @knightofthechronicle: Pft! You boys don't need no edumacashun! Writes us sum storees! Duh-hur!

<cough> <ahem>

I mean...um...well done, lads. Good to see you've got your priorities straight.

>.>

<.<