Is Fan Fic Dead? What Is The Future Of Fan Fic On The Vine?

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By feebadger

The Fan Fic Community might need a boost in the arm for 2013. Any ideas on what could spark interest or expand it's parameters in 2013?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

Marvel Iron Age recently had a resurgence and I'm getting Splicers back up and running. Also I have my own spin on Superman's early years going on in my Clark series so I'm doing my part

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I'm going to try to come up with new stories for my "X-Men" fan fiction. I'm still working on the final part of my "Red Steel" series, so hopefully I'll have that up and running.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By feebadger

@joshmightbe: @Rabbitearsblog: Hopefully those will take off in big ways, but i was hoping for answers in the bigger context.. How can we make the fan fic section more relevant to a bigger demographic in here? What can we do to spread the word? Spread the joy? How do we de-Ficify this thread?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@feebadger said:

@joshmightbe: @Rabbitearsblog: Hopefully those will take off in big ways, but i was hoping for answers in the bigger context.. How can we make the fan fic section more relevant to a bigger demographic in here? What can we do to spread the word? Spread the joy? How do we de-Ficify this thread?

Maybe you could advertise the fan fiction community on YouTube, alongside with Comic Vine. That might get some more people to get involved with the Fan Fiction community.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By feebadger

@Rabbitearsblog: That's a fantastic idea, but certainly didn't mean to infer that I would be taking it on.. Anyone want to take Rabbitearsblog's stellar idea and run with it!?!?!

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By feebadger

I guess what i mean is;

IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE FANI FIC MORE LEGITIMATE?

andrewtheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 59

#8  Edited By andrewtheking

@feebadger:

i do vlogs and stuff so i can try

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By batkevin74

@feebadger: Legitimate fan-fic = a job writing comics for DC/Marvel/Image etc. Unless Bendis, Loeb, Wheddon, Straczynski, Millar, Morrison or MacFarlane open a CV account and say "Hey that @whats_his_face321 writes a mean story, lets get him here for a meeting and discuss ideas" then fan-fic will be fan-fic. Breaking into comics is hard since it is an actual elite club we're trying to join and not everyone gets in, hence fan-fic.

But for actual ideas,

1) a while back someone nearly roped in the Artist section to draw some of what we wrote and vice versa. we could try that again

2) Hostile take over of fanfiction.com (I go there have a look, have no idea how it works and leave quickly)

3) Buy a membership to CV, that's my goal this year. Stop being a freeloader and cough up some $$$

That's my ideas

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By feebadger

@batkevin74: I respect your ideas and (what i sense) are your obvious frustrations with the fan fic site (i know how much ou've put in here). But I don't blieve there is as much of a disparity between fan fic and writing comics. I think it is just the greatest non-commercial venue for talent there is. Maybe support is the what fan fic is all about. There's a Scott Lobdell on here. We all know that. We also know it;'s not his place to scalp talent from here. But maybe the elder members can push young talent. Maybe there's contests or talent pools we can work that the Scott Lobdell's might be able to dip into it and be bowled over by the truly great amongst us....

It only takes one to get the ears of the comic community pricked up to this place....

Let's think big and keep thinking this big.. Everyone..

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batkevin74

@feebadger: Oh I'm not frustrated at fan-fic, I really like it!

Also CV is pretty darn cool. It's getting the chance to write legal fan-fic aka work for DC/Marvel/Image etc which frustrates and eludes me!

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By feebadger

@batkevin74: Then, in my thinking, you should be thinking bigger. Wouldn't you want to legitimize a form you put so much into? For your efforts and all those around you? (and by the way, how,is your new born? On the scene or still expectant? :)

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@feebadger said:

@batkevin74: I respect your ideas and (what i sense) are your obvious frustrations with the fan fic site (i know how much ou've put in here). But I don't blieve there is as much of a disparity between fan fic and writing comics. I think it is just the greatest non-commercial venue for talent there is. Maybe support is the what fan fic is all about. There's a Scott Lobdell on here. We all know that. We also know it;'s not his place to scalp talent from here. But maybe the elder members can push young talent. Maybe there's contests or talent pools we can work that the Scott Lobdell's might be able to dip into it and be bowled over by the truly great amongst us....

It only takes one to get the ears of the comic community pricked up to this place....

Having contests on the best Fan Fiction might get some more people to get involved.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By batkevin74

@feebadger: It'd be nice. I could charge you all to read my stuff...imagine that, I've got 900+ views on some stories, $1 a view, I have a library of stuff.... :)

As for Emma, well...

No Caption Provided

She's AWESOME!

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#15  Edited By TheCannon

In 2013, I am going to launch "Marvel Infinite," which is be re-imagining the Marvel Universe (kind of like the Ultimate Universe, but with me writing).

Also, another writer and I have something BIG planned that I don't want to spoil.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#16  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@feebadger: so I just came from figuring out whether a top 100 list of battles suggested by a user in Comic Vine Votes! - Best of the Month (DEC 2012) could be made so my mind is on lists, but hear me out anyway...

What if we did a top *insert number here* list of fan fics published here on comic vine? Something like top 50 or 35 or something in that range would be more manageable than 100 (given we couldn't do a CV list). if we had 20 users nominate 5 of their favorite stories then we would have 100 stories, but probably what would be more doable would be if we had 10 users compile 5 stories each (thus resulting in 50 stories) with other users nominating additional stories. The order would be the big thing about this project. If we wanted the most...I suppose "press" would be the most fitting here...then we wouldn't want just a simple alphabetical order but an order created by voting. We could create a thread which I would pin both in the newest forum and here in FF (I've been dying to try a double pinning...) and everyone have 5 votes to pick what they thought were their favorite 5 stories (we would probably want to have the list start with 1 votes all around so the nominators/writers couldn't vote for their own stories). In the end, I am quite confident we could put that list in the Rad stuff section on the front page which in my experience does provide viewership months after the project is finished.

I don't know...I hate to be the crazy person who says, "I like listsss! Why don't we do listsss, preciousss?" but that's my only suggestion.

well, come to think of it I do have that Fan Fic library collected up to 2011 or something like that. It's gathering dust in an undisclosed forum. I don't have the drive to collect more than what I have now, but I could release it and let others deal with it...but given the size of it I don't think anyone would want to mess with it...

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@feebadger said:

Having contests on the best Fan Fiction might get some more people to get involved.

yeah, a contest could also work, but we would have to think about what we would want to do. A scavenger hunt would be interesting, but I'm not sure if a story creation contest would get viewership up.

I mean, I have to ask: What do we want? more readers? or more writers? or what would we want to accomplish?

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By CapFanboy

@feebadger:

Is Fan Fic Dead? What Is The Future Of Fan Fic On The Vine?

*Ahem* Your future is bleak.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#19  Edited By wildvine

@CapFanboy said:

You don't have to be so proud of it!!

: P

andrewtheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 59

#20  Edited By andrewtheking

@TheCannon:

yes we do ;)

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CapFanboy

@wildvine said:

@CapFanboy said:

You don't have to be so proud of it!!

: P

It beats me if I'm not.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#22  Edited By Joygirl

Mayhem is at full power. >.>

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By thespideyguy

When I first joined the site I didn't even know what fan-fic was. It wasn't until I clicked on them that I came involved. Also we need more groups that appeal to different tastes if we want to expand.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thespideyguy

@feebadger said:

I guess what i mean is;

IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE FANI FIC MORE LEGITIMATE?

What do you mean by legitimate.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nerdork

@feebadger:I have wanted to join the Fan-Fic portion of Comic Vine for a few months now, but am unsure as how to begin; my style is not based on any of our favorite heroes or villains, or even inspired from any comic books. I, mostly, like to write crime fiction and murder/mystery; I also have begun, in the last 3 years, to use Norse/Celtic/Germanic Mythologies to inspire a fantasy series, and its world, I am attempting to create. I have an ample amount of short stories, ranging from a serial killer and the detectives tracking him to a group of vagabond Vikings witnessing the beginnings of a civil war, and would love to share them with interested readers. Those whom have read my work really enjoyed it; or, at least, lied very convincingly to my face. haha

If there is any room for me and my style of scribbling…I would love to be a part of this, and help in the expansion of an amazing way to showcase one’s work.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#26  Edited By wildvine

The Fan-Fic village welcomes all kinds.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By batkevin74

@nerdork: Always room, if people don't like them well that's up to them! Write, post see how it goes :)

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nerdork

@batkevin74: @wildvine: Well, then i am very excited to start getting getting to know everyone here. I am going to do some quick edits on my murder/mystery, and i should be posting something very soon. Latest will be Friday. Work keeps me very busy throughout the day, and i spend the rest of the evening writing my current stories.

Thank you for being a welcoming community. I look forward to the honest opinions.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I am still writing my infectious insanity and I do have ideas for other fan fics that I would like to do in the future.

Maybe an article on the main comic vine page relating to fan fic every now and then would attract more people.Like an awesome art picks but for fan fic instead.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Pyrogram

@The Poet: I dont like the idea of a hall of fame or so for most fan fics, It will just get people writing a load of BS to get onto the top.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Pyrogram: I'm not sure what you are referring to...Hall of Fame? Do you mean my suggestion about the top ___ (insert number here) list of FF? or do you mean the library (which has nothing to do with this but the mere mention of it last time got me the help of a crazy person whom I thank very much...)

I'm just confused when you say:

It will just get people writing a load of BS to get onto the top.

I'm trying to connect it to my list suggestion but I don't understand how they are connected...More explanation might be in order...

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pyrogram

@The Poet said:

@Pyrogram: I'm not sure what you are referring to...Hall of Fame? Do you mean my suggestion about the top ___ (insert number here) list of FF? or do you mean the library (which has nothing to do with this but the mere mention of it last time got me the help of a crazy person whom I thank very much...)

I'm just confused when you say:

It will just get people writing a load of BS to get onto the top.

I'm trying to connect it to my list suggestion but I don't understand how they are connected...More explanation might be in order...

I am talking about a list of people with the most FF's. If you make something where a leaderboard of who has done the most, I know new combers will just produce a load of rubbish to try and top the list getting this FF section spammed.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Pyrogram: yeah...If that was suggested in this thread I wasn't the one who suggested it...

My suggestion was a Top ___ (insert number here) Fan Fic List which would collect what people thought were the best stories.

My other suggestion was a libary but I can assure you that is not a leaderboard...

I wouldn't suggest something like that because we techically already have that in the form of the Top Posters for each of the sections of the site. I mean, your arguements are valid but it already exists and people (unfortunitely) already spam the forums to get those top positions (not that I'm accusing any of our top posters of doing that...)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pyrogram

@The Poet said:

@Pyrogram: yeah...If that was suggested in this thread I wasn't the one who suggested it...

My suggestion was a Top ___ (insert number here) Fan Fic List which would collect what people thought were the best stories.

My other suggestion was a libary but I can assure you that is not a leaderboard...

I wouldn't suggest something like that because we techically already have that in the form of the Top Posters for each of the sections of the site. I mean, your arguements are valid but it already exists and people (unfortunitely) already spam the forums to get those top positions (not that I'm accusing any of our top posters of doing that...)

owwww ok. Your idea would work. If its FF nominated it is good that way. Wonder if it could be implemented.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@nerdork: you should totally post your stuff, it sounds intresting 

I really need to stop being lazy with my writing and actually start?finish some of my stuff
The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Pyrogram: like I said in the first post I figure we would use the same basic concept as any of my Top 100 lists:

1. a group of users acts as nominators for the majority of stories on the list
  2. then the community (in this case FF community since we're not doing a double pinning just yet) steps in and adds more stories (I do runner up lists normally, but I don't know if that is nessary...)
  3. after that we get to the ordering portion which would involve the larger community (and a double pinning!). ok...I'm lazy, so I'm quoting what I said before...
The order would be the big thing about this project. If we wanted the most...I suppose "press" would be the most fitting here...then we wouldn't want just a simple alphabetical order but an order created by voting. We could create a thread which I would pin both in the newest forum and here in FF (I've been dying to try a double pinning...) and everyone have 5 votes to pick what they thought were their favorite 5 stories (we would probably want to have the list start with 1 votes all around so the nominators/writers couldn't vote for their own stories). In the end, I am quite confident we could put that list in the Rad stuff section on the front page which in my experience does provide viewership months after the project is finished.

I'm sure we can implimite it. The system has worked before in my other lists (just a little tweaking to make it for FFs). And the nominators would definitely be people from this section (we would do a nominator volunteer thread here, then a "community nomination" thread after the nominators present the majority of the list. And then in the 3rd step we would double pin the voting thread: in FF and in the newest section).

So mainly the challenge that I see is not the implimtation of the project, but rather the picking of the stories (I will not be a nominator...picking stories would be too tough for my tastes...I can host though...). If people like the idea of this list then I can make it happen, but only if people like the idea of the list.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pyrogram

@The Poet: Thanks for elaborating.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Irishlad

As far as I'm concerned Fan-Fiction is fiction made by fans of comics, it doesn't mean it has to based on a comic book :P

But if you would like to write something based on a comic book there are plenty of comic based on Norse, Greek and sometimes Celtic mythology like Thor, Demon Knights and Wonder Woman.

Plus there are hundreds of crime books out there for you to choose from :P

My suggestion would be make a thread with ten stories you personally enjoy to kick things off, then after that in order to add more stories to the list 5 people have to comment on the thread suggesting the story and once they do it the story gets added?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Irishlad: ha you replied me and I replied you, but in different threads...

I'm really terrible at picking favorites I suppose I could come up with a few (actully it might be easier than I think since I can cheat...). Why I would want a group of nominators would be I wouldn't depend on people to post. Via pm we could compile a list of stories and then post that and let the community do "Community Nominations" (to steal a step from my lists...). I just kind of like stucture to something like this (plus I don't want to be the only one struggling to think of what would be the best stories...)

Maybe the final order voting could be more like Cosigning where we just go through the list and add our name to the stuff we like. that or the 5 votes.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By xxxddd

@feebadger: No it is not dead, it's just that we writers are few and far between, even on the internet:(

White Assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By White Assassin

Fanfic is definitely not dead. I am currently working on a fanfic set in the future of Marvel. I have a basic outline set up for one story but about a million more stories that i will never probably write lol