Hotdogs & Zombies - The Curse of the Windigo!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 1st BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #35!

DateCB 1-ShotsViewRead the...
10/06/21Hot Dogs & Zombies - The Curse of the Windigo!(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
TCannibalism. Ew. Zombieism. Ew. Hot Dogs. Mm, hotdogs.

Most cultures have some version of zombie lore, but most know the movie zombie: a herky-jerky walk and warning moans that would allow anyone to get away easily. Shambling, emaciated monstrosities that hunger for human brains. Well, I can tell you that the movies are partially right- they hunger for humans, period; not just the brains. They get to be shuffling, decaying monsters if they don't eat often enough. On a steady diet of human flesh though? They look just as human as you or I. How do I know this? Because I, Atsan, am one. Because I know where the zombie came from. It's a curse- the curse of the windigo.

All that mythology...? Bull.
All that mythology...? Bull.

The curse is simply this: you resort to cannibalism, you turn into a windigo- what you know as a zombie. All that mythology crap about thirty foot "ice giants" with red eyes, or comic book white sasquatches? Bull. It's just this: you consume human flesh, you become consumed by the need for more, and more, and more of it. And you'll want more, because for every person you eat, you gain their vitality- their strength... understand? You eat ten men, you gain the strength of ten men.

It's intoxicating. Like any intoxicant though, it doesn't last. It's fleeting. It's also debilitating. That's where the movie zombie comes in. The longer you go without eating, the harder it gets for you to move. You become stiffer and stiffer, and you start to decay, becoming more akin to what you've undoubtedly seen in the movies. Keep eating regularly though, and you keep passing for human, and you can continue to move among them freely. I've been doing that for some time.

...rumors about the mafia owning hot dog factories...? Truth.
...rumors about the mafia owning hot dog factories...? Truth.

You don't believe me? You don't think this could possibly happen without people knowing? They do know. They just have a problem containing it. Because the curse is unknown to most, some have unknowingly spread the problem. Those rumors about the mafia owning hot dog factories where they dispose of unwanted bodies? Truth. So there are an awful lot of people out there that have consumed the evidence for them.

There's something about not knowing though... or maybe it's that the human meat is diluted with animal meats and animal byproducts... but whatever the case, if you don't knowingly eat human flesh, the curse is delayed. You are still consumed with that gnawing emptiness, but not knowing what it is, you chase all of your desires, always wanting more and more and more, and never feeling fulfilled. When you die though, that's when you rise from the dead and become something much more like the movie zombie. Still not knowing what it is you need, and hindered by the rigor mortis from dying, not to mention the embalming fluid replacing your blood, you shamble along in jerks and fits and starts, instinctively looking for the human flesh the curse demands.

Everyone has eaten a hot dog before!
Everyone has eaten a hot dog before!

I know what you're thinking though: "I call B.S.! Everyone has eaten a hot dog before! How come we don't see more zombies walking around?" Right? Well, that's just the problem, isn't it? Most everyone has eaten a hot dog before, so we have no way of knowing who got the mafia mystery meat that will bring the curse down upon them. Why do you think we use embalming fluid? To preserve bodies? Really? A mixture of solvents is going to preserve a body? You buy that? It's to further hinder the mobility of a resurrected windigo, to make them easier to catch and dispose of. Burial vaults are called "vaults" for a reason. It has nothing to do with "keeping the ground from settling in the graveyard." It's to keep windigo from clawing their way out of the grave. You have no idea how many zombies have spent years upon years beating against their burial vaults, trying to get out.

The problem for the willing cannibal turned windigo is hunting. How do you find that steady supply of human bodies without people growing suspicious? You have to put yourself in the right place. Some of the windigo I know are medical examiners, eating John and Jane Doe. Some are graverobbers, haunting pauper graveyards, or just digging up the freshly buried and replacing the vault (because they do keep the ground from settling, you know). Yes, yes, windigo can eat other windigo to survive. It's not as good, but it does the job. There's other ways too. The homeless. Runaways. Hookers. Gang bangers. Hospitals for the less fortunate. War zones. Being a paid assassin. There's a good one! Get paid to eat others and keep your own life going!

Then there's my favorite, and it's the one I just happened to be able to take advantage of. You become the head of a state run orphanage, contracted out to a corporation like mine. It's the perfect buffet. Unwanted children that birth parents want to forget, and the world generally wants to pretend don't exist. Yes, we have to let some get adopted, but there's so many ways to cover up a meal- "They ran away from the orphanage!" Or "They died in an accident," or "...of a sickness/ sudden illness/ unforseen medical condition." They "get adopted" by phantom paper parents, or best yet- they "age out." Kids that have mostly reached their full growth potential, so have the most meat on them, are still incredibly vital, and having aged past our need to be responsible for them, are "released into the world," and are no longer my concern to account for. Those are the best meals. And they have kept me fed for many years.

The state loves the Atsan Association's Atsan Orphanage and Home For Wayward Children. They think we are very well run, and very efficient. They're encouraging us to expand our operations, becoming a charity with branches all over the country. I think it's a lovely idea. I've suggested that we could help with local homeless shelters too. We've even offered to open halfway houses for paroled convicts. They're very excited to have us participate. The eagerness to take the financial burden off of over-stressed government resources practically comes off of them in waves.

...enjoy your hot dog.
...enjoy your hot dog.

For myself, I can hardly wait to taste what other localities have to offer. I'm positively watering at the mouth, just thinking about it. You, in the meantime... enjoy your hot dog.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #35.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

Want to read a non-canon appearance of Atsan? Just cross-over fun: The Walking Dead Prologue: Monsters. :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:

Characters:

• Atsan (Windigo)

Locations:

• Atsan Orphanage and Home For Wayward Children

Teams:

• Atsan Association
Comic Characters used in this fic:
Public Domain:
Concepts:
Picture credits:
Picture:Source:
All that mythology...? Bull.Windigo: The Flesh-Eating Monster of Native American Legend | Monstrum (cropped from a screenshot of the video)
...rumors about the mafia owning hot dog factories...? Truth.Hot Dogs Containing Nitrates Cause Cancer (The Coney Island Blog)
"Everyone has eaten a hot dog before!"Found in several places through Google Image Search, but none of them appear to be the original source/artist.
...enjoy your hot dog.Couldn't find the source for this one.
CCC #35 comments for Hotdogs & Zombies - The Curse of the Windigo!:

cbishop: Hmm glad I've never eaten a hotdog now. Although it makes me wonder which of the current zombies in this competition would win in a people eating competition now. You know all four are placed in a shopping mall and have an hour to consume the most victims.

ImpurestCheese

impurestcheese: Depends...is this an 80's movie mall, or a current movie mall? If the 80's, then all but 2-5 people get eaten, with the zombies all getting their fair share and the mall blown up and burning at the end. If it's current, then it's still all but 2-5 people that get eaten, the zombies all get their fair share, but the victims put up one hell of a fight before they blow up the mall. :)

cbishop

cbishop: Hmm perhaps a modern shopping centre

ImpurestCheese

Hmm I'm voting for cbishop this time, mostly because his story was so different from the classic zombie tale

ImpurestCheese

impurestcheese: Cool, thanks Imp'. :)

cbishop

My vote goes to turbinail

Then in order it was cbishop(hot dogs are still yummy)...

Well done to you all

batkevin74

It was tough, but I gotta vote for Cbishop for this one :)

BumpyBoo

Woot! Thanks, Bumpy'! :D

cbishop

cbishop: You easily got my vote. No contest. Though if you hadn't posted I would have voted impurestcheese

wildvine

wildvine: Woot! Thanks. :) And yeah, Imp's was cool. She danged near got my vote. This one of those times that I had to eliminate choices by the slimmest of margins.

cbishop

cbishop: wildvine: But you didn't :-(. So far my piece ranks with a character synopsis and whatever Donkey's thing was. If I wasn't being pampered to an inch of my life over here in Italy I would be furious...no wait I'd probably just moan

ImpurestCheese

impurestcheese: Sorry Impy. I really did like yours. CB just had a solid creepy pasta vibe that grabbed me.

cbishop: PS, you should totally submit that as a CreepyPasta

wildvine

impurestcheese: Imp', it just works that way sometimes. I've had plenty of entries that I thought were solid contenders for the win get no votes. This isn't over for a week though, so don't count it out. I could find myself at the bottom of the vote pile before this is done. Your story is cool, but like I said, sometimes you have to go with the thinnest of reasons just short of eeny-meeny-miney-moe to pick...and 4donk' has even done that (well, random number generator to pick). There have been a couple of contests where absolute crap won in my opinion, but the vote count is the vote count.

wildvine: I'll have to look that up. It needs a little fixing though.

cbishop

wildvine: Can I just tell you that when I mentioned zombies acting as medical examiners, I knew nothing about iZombie? I just watched all the CW clips on the show, and laughed myself silly. Unintentional comic reference for the win. :)

cbishop

It was a tie between Donkey Johnson and CBishop...

So I'm gonna go with Wildvine since I can't decide.

TommytheHitman

...Cbishop for me.

Claymore1998

claymore1998: Thank you. :)

cbishop

cbishop: Noooo! I got a new vote! How dare you take my almost lead. I had a taste of the power. The unlimited powahr!!

wildvine

wildvine: Oh! <ahem> <ahhhhem> <ahem> MWUHAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAAAAA! <cough> <wheeze> <pft> <ahem>

cbishop

cbishop: Your evil laugh needs work...

ImpurestCheese

...Cbishop has my vote.

iconrocket123

Cbishop

dagmar_merrill

dagmar_merrill: Thanks. :)

cbishop

cbishop: Well I think you won, only just but victory is yours. Wrap this up and start a new one. And @ everyone who voted

Well done, rack'em up again!

batkevin74

batkevin74: Will do. Need a few days though.

cbishop

cbishop: Congrats CB.

wildvine

wildvine: Thanks. Still working on a contest idea. I truly was not prepared to win lol.

cbishpo

cbishop: Congratulations on your win

ImpurestCheese

impurestcheese: Thank you, Imp'.

cbishop
.Full Fan-Fic Index. (My library of fics)Fic #281

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

The Origins Behind the Origins (or how some of these characters got their names):

Atsan (Windigo)

Windigo and Atsan are the same thing. I just liked "Atsan" as the guy's name- it sounds exotic and mysterious, and maybe a little menacing. I ran across it in one of my mythology books, but I have too many, so I couldn't lay my hands on it to say which one it was.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading. -cb :^D

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

you're a monster!!!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro said:

you're a monster!!!

LMAO! No... no... Atsan is the monster! ...Although, in fairness, I did post this, and then go make myself some hotdogs. LOL ;)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

March 27, 2023: Saw this on Facebook today, and immediately thought of this story. :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

October 13, 2023: Saw this on Facebook today, and again was reminded of this story. :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Jan 3, 2024: I think anything "hotdog" is just going to remind me of this story now. Found this one on Facebook.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Mar 1, 2024: Found this on Facebook yesterday. Reminded me of this story.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Mar 6, 2024: Found on Facebook. Reminded me of this story.