Help building a character

Mousebane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mousebane

This is what I have so far for my X-men fanfic ofc: this all takes place around 94.

Name: Odette Maxine Roux. BOD: 10/31/1970, age 24 when story starts. Basic physical: 5'2, trim hourglass figure, waist length mostly straight flaxen hair, soft silver eyes, pale skin (she's a winter color palette wise), 2" long scar onher stomach, full lips, deep set eyes, she has a v-triangle shaped face with a slightly upturned nose. Sexuality: Straight. Personality Traits: Skittish, demure, compassionate. Status: Upper class but remembers where her family came from. Still a virgin. Soon to be partner/lover: Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner. Relatives: Mother, Father, Older Brother, Grandfather (Close relationship.)

Favorites:Food: Breakfast, eggs Benedict with bacon instead of ham. Lunch, chicken nachos (Chili's Style). Snack, most fruits but she is allergic to mangoes and blueberries; pecans and walnuts but allergic to cashews; most vegetables. Dinner, steak cooked rare over a bed of garlic fries with a red wine sauce. Brisket and cornbread is a close second that she only gets when she visits her grandfather. Color: Jewel tones of everything.

What I need:

Names to her mother, father, brother, and grandfather of a Louisianan french or french origin, both works great. Possible latent/known mutant power(s). I need help building her personality a pinch more. I'd like to give her a birthmark that is either related to her possible power(s) or just a normal birthmark. I want to give her a tattoo on the back of her neck but am having trouble deciding on a design and am open to suggestions, I personally am leaning towards something Pagan or vintage inspired. Want a nonreligious reason for being a virgin still, maybe something that could be considered humorous. Would love a cutesy little tick for her although its not needed, irl i have a facial tick where my nose twitches that my friends all get a good giggle at and that bf have found adorable; so something like that for her that Kurt can find too cute would be perfect.

I greatly appreciate any help I get. <3

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

#2  Edited By FicOPedia

@mousebane: For the tick, go with the nose twitch. You know all about that. You know when it happens, what it feels like, and how people react to it. There's nothing wrong with putting a little bit of yourself into your characters. Sharing a trait doesn't mean that they have to be you.

I don't know which version of Nightcrawler you're going to use, but if you're using the one that has the marks all over his body (inspired by the movie version) then have her tattoo be something similar that draws his interest. That could be the conversation starter that gets them talking and leads to their relationship.

Non-religious reason for virginity: she is afraid it's going to hurt? If she's demure, then maybe she's just too shy to show herself to a guy in that way? Maybe she's ticklish in that general area, and is too embarrassed to let anyone know that?

Relative names- When I'm stuck for names, I go to a baby names book or website, and see what I can find. I've never tried an ancestry site, but maybe? Try googling French/Louisisanan names, and see what comes up.

basicfan30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By basicfan30

"winter color palette" This part got me thinking about cold possibly freezing abilities. But this "Skittish, demure, compassionate" got me thinking very powerful perhaps afraid of her own power. And I remembered that cold is mostly a lack of energy. So perhaps her ability is to absorb things/peoples kinetic energy. Making them cold and immobile. Perhaps she can hold Kurt in place. I look forward to reading your story.

Mousebane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the absorption of kinetic energy it does work quite well against Kurt.

basicfan30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mousebane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently writing it. First two chapters are up on archiveofourown.org the story is called Roses and Brimstone. Mousebane is my writer's name there. :)

basicfan30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently writing it. First two chapters are up on archiveofourown.org the story is called Roses and Brimstone. Mousebane is my writer's name there. :)

Why not write it here? also is it finished now?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mousebane: I may be late and not the most experienced in creating characters, but I what I would do in your position (only for the questions unanswered. Anything the others contributed I probably will just reiterate since they had good ideas):

•As far as the naming goes, I would take the advice about looking names up online. If you’re incredibly stuck on the whole every name should have a Louisianan-French origin, then by all means, but I think I would go for a gradual change in ethnic names, like the grandfather being French and the father having French and Louisianan mixture and the brother being totally Louisianan. To demonstrate maybe the immigrating history.

•For growing her personality, honestly, you should just try imagining basic situations she would react to before introducing more high scale or dramatic events:

- Like how does she view alcohol? Does Wolverine scare her?

-Does she believe everything she is told or is her skittish nature inferring mistrust? Is there a story behind why she is so skittish?

-How would she react to the story of the Dark Phoenix? Would it make her scared of her powers when she learns what happens to power consuming someone very much once like her? Or is Jean still alive to relay how she felt when she became the Phoenix?

-Does Magneto know of her existence? Has she ever met Magneto? Does she agree with Magneto’s arguments about the cruelty of mankind? How do his views affect her views regarding Charles Xavier’s dream?

-Is Kitty Pryde still in school to be her peer? Or has Kitty gone on to bigger and better things out of school? Jubilee? Illyana Rasputin (Colossus little sister called Magik)? Who are the students?

-Is the Brotherhood the main antagonist? Someone new? Shadow King? Cassandra Nova? Mister Sinister? Apocalypse?

All of these things are ways and opportunities to demonstrate exactly who your character is.