batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided

Previous chapter is here

“Why are we stopping here?” Sisquo asks as I walk to the lakes edge.

“Because I need to clear a hole in the plants because their roots have grown down into the turbine,” I reply, trying to hide my distain for the man who has been interested in my daughter and not to further her social status or improve her education.

“Well I’m going to have to clear that with the Grand Imperial Dragon,”

Nothing like a chain of command to ruin my day. “Sure, go ahead. I’ll wait here.”

“No, you come with me.”

It’s like arguing with Drummer about having a bath!

“Fine!” I huff. “Let’s go see Texas an…”

Sisquo grabs me by the collar and yanks me in close. “It’s Grand Imperial Dragon to you, tinker!”

Oh boy!

“Sorry, sorry, look. Let’s go see Imperial Grand Drag…”

“GRAND. Imperial. Dragon.” He seethes as he shoves me backwards.

Sooner I fix their dam and see the back of Willow Creek the better. For what passes for a safe city, they certainly are uptight.

__

“No,” he says as he scribbles furiously on some paper, and not that homemade recycled papyrus rubbish either. The nice crisp clean stuff.

“Excuse me?”

“No, you may not cut a hole in the hemp and hyacinths,” Texas replies. “Case closed.”

“Then I will be unable to fix your dam,” I say. “Their roots have grown down into a turbine which…”

“You will have to find some other way,” he says. “Those plants are vital to the purification process of removing radiation from the water.”

“Klargo Chicanery.” I say.

The Grand Imperial Dragon stares at me for what feels like forever. ““Klarogo Chicane. What of him?”

Oh it’s a person! “They seem to know more about the dam. Can I speak with them?”

“No.”

My hand clamps down on the back of my neck to keep me from getting into an argument. “Well if you want m…”

“He is dead. Passed last month.” Texas looks at me. “Now can you fix my dam or not?”

I slowly exhale. “If you allow me to cut a small hole in the plants which will allow me to remove them from the turbine which will need a tune up the…”

He waves a hand dismissively. “Yes, yes. We will deduct the damage from your final bill.”

My eyes widen and I shudder as I fight down my rage. I knew I was being swindled but now I’m being well and truly taken for a ride.

__

“So Tinker, tell me about your daughter,”

For his sake, I’m up to my waist in water yanking plants out, but it doesn’t stop me thinking that I’m standing near him choking him to death with a wet reed. I toss a bunch his way and keep on with my job, wondering about the rad levels in the water. Though the plants seem to act like a filtration system to provide Willow Creek with clean water, it does make me wonder.

“She seems about, of age.”

Oh Elvis give me strength!

__

I’ve tried to be vague. I’ve tried polite. I’ve even tried flat out lies, to persuade this idiot to stay away from my daughter. Luckily he went on an errand a few hours ago and left me in peace to fix their dam. My work is halted by the sounds of footsteps.

“Well?” booms Grand Imperial Dragon’s voice off the walls.

“I’ve nearly cleared all the debris,” I tell him as I wipe gunk off my hand to shake his but he looks at it like I’m presenting him a lump of dog turd. “Um, and, um, there’s minimal damage to the plants above, I on…”

“Very good,” He says. “Now about the engagement.”

I pause, running through my mind the words. “What? What are you talking about?”

“Sisquo has come to me seeking permission to marry your daughter, and I’ve granted it,”

I go to speak when the Grand Imperial Dragon’s hazel eyes lock onto mine. “This is not the place to discuss such things. When you’ve finished, clean up and come see me.”

He spins on his heels and leaves leaving me alone with Sisquo, who’s smiling like a cat who ate the canary. “Shall I call you dad?”

__

“Hey dad, look what I traded?” Porter says.

I don’t really look, pat him on the head. “Are we ready to go?”

“Yeah, but I thou…”

“We’re going!” I snap.

“Okay…you okay dad?”

“No, no I’m not.” I rub my eyes. “We need to leave, okay. No more questions. We go.”

To be continued…

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@batkevin74: <in best Bugs Bunny voice> Ooooh, that rascally Sisquo! He's gonna get it! :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By batkevin74
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers