Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
DateHeironymous 1-ShotsViewRead the...
07/11/13Heironymous: How Lincoln Really Died(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanationLast One-Shot:
T+Graphic imagery, moderate violence.The Ninja & The Warrior Princess

“Don’t know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal – you sockdologizing old man-trap.”

President Lincoln, his wife, and their guests roared with laughter, along with the rest of the theater. Just then, a man burst into their booth. “Mister President!”

Major Rathbone, though startled, reacted first. “What’s the meaning of this?”

President Lincoln held up a hand to Henry Rathbone, stalling any further outburst long enough to say, “Major Rathbone, this is one of my men. He serves me in secret, as part of an agency that I have only today signed the legislation for. They are not officially commissioned yet. Heironymous? What is your news?”

“Mister President, an attempt on your life has been stopped, but I don’t know by whom!”

“What?” gasped Mrs. Lincoln.

“Oh!” declared Clara, Henry’s fiancé.

Lincoln raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean you don’t know by whom? It wasn’t your men?”

“My men are not capable of what I found, sir. Two bodies, suspended in the alley from their ankles, and…” Heironymous looked at the women apologetically, but continued, “…and they were skinned, sir.”

Clara fainted at this news. “Clara!” Major Rathbone caught her before she could fall out of her chair, and was sitting her up when another man burst into the booth.

“Why! It’s John Booth!” Mary Lincoln said quickly, recognizing the actor before he could even raise his gun.

Heironymous moved faster, inserting himself between the President and Booth. As Booth swung the gun upwards, he yelled, “Sic seemper tyrannis,” but the agent clamped his fist around the end of the barrel, muffling the shot so that it was barely heard in the theater below.

Wrenching the gun from the stunned actor’s grip, he displayed the bullet, which had never left his hand, shifting the pistol to his free hand. With a frightful gleam in his eye, he grabbed Booth by the lapels and said, “That’s not the right kind of weapon to use against me.” He was about to hit Booth, when he noticed three red dots, forming a triangle, moving across the would-be assassin’s shoulder, towards his neck.

What the devil.
What the devil.

Puzzled, Heironymous said, “What the devil,” and reached out to brush them away, only to see them on the back of his hand. Before he could wonder any further about them, an odd, animal-like growl caught his attention, and he spun around, looking into a dark corner of the President’s booth. A light flashed from the area, and Heironymous was staggered back into Booth, knocking him against the wall, where the would-be assassin slumped to the floor, unconscious.

The light and noise panicked the theater goers. Not knowing what else it could be, someone yelled, “Fire!” and the crowd began to bolt for the doors.

The agent regained his feet quickly, a large hole in the front of his suit, singed and smoking, but his chest only slightly scorched. Mary and Clara gasped in astonishment, while Rathbone protested, “My God, man! What are you?”

Heironymous’ only answer was, “Major Rathbone, get the President and the women out of here! We’re not alone!”

Rathbone looked around quickly, “What? Where…?”

Heironymous, still peering into the dark corner of the booth, replied, “I can see in the dark. Go. Get them out.”

The President stood immediately, helping Mary up, holding her firmly by one arm, and said, “Come, Mary.” Eyeing Rathbone, he said, “Major, if you please.” Rathbone gathered Clara in similar fashion, and they started for the door, Rathbone in the lead, to make sure the way was clear. Heironymous continued scanning the dark corner of the booth as another growl came from the darkness.

Sic semper tyrannis!
Sic semper tyrannis!

Lincoln was in the back of the group, keeping the women between him and Major Rathbone. Before he could get out of the room, a bright blue halo of light shimmered into view behind him, and what appeared to be two skeletons, shining like highly polished swords, stepped out of the light. One scanned the room, and detecting the beast in the corner, moved that way, as the other one stepped towards the President, its fist turning into a blade. It shouted “Sic semper tyrannis,” and thrust the blade part way into Lincoln’s shoulder.

Heironymous moved then, quickly grabbing the attacker and yanking it backwards, ripping the blade out of the President’s wound. He punched the skeletal attacker in the face, bringing a metallic clank, but no dent. He shouted, “Rathbone! Go! Get them out!” and Rathbone hurried the horrified women away. The monster and the agent began trading punches then, neither blade nor blows having much effect for either of them.

The beast removed the mask...
The beast removed the mask...

The second attacker was blasted by the same powerful light that had struck the agent, and its left arm dangled loosely from its shoulder. Its right hand formed into a blade, and it punched at the wall, a loud thunk like an axe chopping a tree, as the blade sank into the wall. What seemed like small streaks of lightning arced back and forth then, and the beast came into full view, the mechanical attacker’s blade revealed to have struck just above the beast’s shoulder, damaging a mask that it wore. The beast removed the mask, unveiling a face more animal than man, a pair of mandibles on either side of its mouth. Two blades extended from each of the beast’s wrist gauntlets, and it roared at the metal attacker, the mandibles flexing wide as it did so.

The steel skeleton wrenched the blade from the wall, swung backwards, and then swung forward at the beast again. The beast moved swiftly, parrying the blade to one side, and causing the attacker to stumble closer, so they were face-to-face. The beast regarded its one armed attacker for a moment, and Heironymous, still fighting the other attacker, heard an odd, distorted voice say, “Not the right kind of weapon to use against me.” Something moved on its shoulder, and that strange light flashed again, blowing a hole in the skeleton’s chest. The metal form slackened a bit, and the beast moved swiftly, bringing up its right hand and cutting off its opponent’s good arm. It slashed again, several times, kicked at the thing’s midsection, and it fell over backwards.

The beast threw its head back and roared. Then it stepped forward, looking down on its metal adversary. The beast cocked its head to one side, giving that low growl as it assessed its victim. Then it reached down with one hand, yanked the skull one way, then the other, and ripped it free of the body. The red embers in the skull’s eyes flickered out. The beast looked at the skull for a moment, and then dropped it into a net bag that hung from its belt.

The skeletal thing... seemed to sense the demise of its twin...
The skeletal thing... seemed to sense the demise of its twin...

The skeletal thing fighting Heironymous seemed to sense the demise of its twin, and tried to turn away from the agent to the beast. Heironymous punched it in the back of the head, causing it to stagger forward, and regained its attention. As it spun to face him once again, Heironymous inhaled sharply, and breathed flame at the metal monster, accompanied by a roar to rival that of the beast on the other side of the room. The mechanical assassin staggered back from the flame, and parts of it could be seen beginning to melt, even as the walls and chairs of the booth began to catch flame. It stumbled away from the flames, then ran towards the President, leaning heavily against the door jamb, his hand clutching at his wounded shoulder. It leaped at the President, a blue halo forming around it again, and before Heironymous could react, both were gone in a flash of blue light.

Booth had come to on the floor, and groped for the gun that lay nearby, dropped when the agent began fighting the monster. He lifted it towards Heironymous, but a heavy boot came down on his arm, pinning it to the floor. He looked up to see the beast’s mandibles flex, as it growled low. Booth was frozen in fear as the beast, in a voice that sounded like his own, but distorted, said, “Sic semper tyrannis.” Booth managed a short scream before the beast stomped on his head. Pulling a vile from his belt, he poured part of the contents over Booth’s body, dissolving it to nothing before Heironymous’ eyes.

Wait. This is what you want me tell the Special Investigations Committee?
Wait. This is what you want me tell the Special Investigations Committee?

“Wait. This is what you want me to tell the Special Investigations Committee? That Honest Abe Lincoln was attacked by an alien, and abducted by a time travelling robot? None of which were found at the site of this assassination attempt. Here, do you mind?” The man handed Heironymous a cigar, and the agent breathed on the tip, lighting it. “I’m parked another block up.”

“No, agent Gyrich, I want you to tell them the same thing I did, nearly one-hundred-fifty years ago: that President Lincoln died in his sleep, twenty years later.”

“And how did you pull that off, pray tell?” asked Gyrich, puffing on his cigar.

We did our job, new though it was.
We did our job, new though it was.

“We did our job, new though it was. We put out a cover story that Mary’s health was failing, due to the shock of the attempt on Lincoln’s life, and that the President resigned his office to be with her. His Vice-President, Andrew Johnson, took office, the Secret Service was officially commissioned a few months later, and we continued to look for Lincoln. He and the robot reappeared twenty years later – the robot too damaged to make it back to the future. The President lost a great deal of blood from the robot’s blade, was further stressed by the time travel, and he died due to the complications from his wound. We amended that to ‘died peacefully in his sleep,’ for the official public notice.”

Gyrich stopped and faced Heironymous. “Uh-huh. You’re skipping something though. What happened to the other robot?”

“We buried it in a secret grave after the fire was put out.”

“Why would they attack Lincoln?”

“If they could kill him and help ensure a Southern victory, and a continuation of slavery, half of their job would be done for them in the future.”

Gyrich pursed his lips, nodded tightly. “And this ‘beast?’”

“Turned invisible and escaped.”

“Come on,” said Gyrich skeptically.

“What do you want, Henry? It was 1865. We’d never seen that before.”

“Okay.” They continued walking, and turned into a parking garage. “And what about the two skinned bodies you mentioned?”

Heironymous stopped this time, and Gyrich turned back to look at him. The agent smirked. “Well, a dragon’s got to eat.”

Henry grimaced. “Really? That’s disgusting.” Turning to continue towards his car, he said, “The Committee isn’t going to like this story.”

“The robots and the aliens have shown up in Los Angeles on four different occasions, as well as in Central America. They would adjust, but Henry, they really shouldn’t hear about this.”

“I don’t have a choice, Heironymous! I’m duty bound to tell them!”

“And I’m duty bound to keep it a secret.”

“Meaning?”

A dragon's got to eat.
A dragon's got to eat.

Heironymous sighed. “A dragon’s got to eat."

Henry Peter Gyrich’s screams echoed throughout the parking deck, followed by a roar, and then nothing.

Next 1-Shot: Heironymous vs.Savage Dragon.-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #6.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

Exceptions: Predator, Terminator, Terminators, and Henry Peter Gyrich.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
Notes:

“The robots and the aliens have shown up in Los Angeles on four different occasions, as well as in Central America."

Where I got that from:

• 1984, Los Angeles [Terminator (1984)]
  • 1987, Central America [Predator (1985)]
  • 1994, Los Angeles [Terminator 2 (1991)]
  • 1997, Los Angeles [Predator 2 (1997)]
  • 2004, Los Angeles [Terminator 3 (2003)]
OC Name:
  • Heironymous
Comic Characters used in this fic:
Picture Credits:
Abraham Lincoln, found on the CV wiki, non-fiction. I think this is a pic of a wax figure.
I did the Predator targeting laser in MS Paint. I started with a picture of the Predator targeting laser somwhere, but had to do a whole lot of enlarging the pic, erasing things around it, and even repositioning the red spots. So the blur is my fault, but yay for clean pic of the targeting laser.
Terminators, found on CV wiki, belonging to whomever has the license.
Predator, found on CV wiki, belonging to whomever has the license.
Terminator, found on CV wiki, belonging to whomever has the license.
Henry Peter Gyrich, found on CV wiki, owned by Marvel.
Secret Service badge, found on CV wiki, non-fiction. No idea who did the art.
Henry Peter Gyrich, found on CV wiki, owned by Marvel.
CCC #6 comments for Heironymous: How Lincoln Really Died:
Oh its on now. I thought Pyrogram was gonna be my rival this time, but its always gotta be you don't it? (Cracks neck) Okay, lets see what'cha got Holmes. [before the entry was posted -cb]wildvine
Well, should i even enter after that? [after the entry was posted -cb] ;Pwildvine
...I love your storypoze
...I have to vote Cbishop for sheer, insane fun.wildvine
My honorary votes go to ...@cbishop... [but he really voted for wildvine {whose story was excellent} -cb] ;)Pyrogram

But wait...

There was an unintentional, added microchallenge in CCC #6, so just for fun...

@batkevin74 said:

...if you can tell a whole story in 12 words DO IT!

He was a bad shot. I wasn't. I lived twenty more years.

(Just thought I'd take a shot at that)

[not my official entry]

{not sold in stores, void where prohibited}

cbishop

@cbishop said:

He was a bad shot. I wasn't. I lived twenty more years.

Ha ha ha

4donkeyjohnson
Not a bad attempt at 12 word story, it implies Lincoln was a fighter not a writer :)batkevin74
Thanks. ;)cbishop
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #012

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Cbishop for sheer insane fun. Hehe

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: lol, and there's my pull quote - love it, love it, love it. Thanks, wv! :^*

kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It`s a traditional, well written story, with a few twists. Coolio.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cbishop
kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you guess what has happened to your comment?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cbishop
kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, something consctructive to write, too. I usually get lost with the story, when you write action sequences. But maybe it`s because it`s sometimes difficult for me, to read prose. The words just get lost. I don`t have Dyslexia, though, obviously.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cbishop

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Is that on all action sequences, or just this story? I had a couple of muddy spots, because of the word limit in the contest. I keep meaning to come back and fix that some.

kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kfhrfdu_89_76k
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbishop
kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You`re welcome. = )

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

I don't believe I commented on this...until now

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

find it bump.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yep. Cracked.com was right. Predators can fit in anywhere and make it more exciting.

They should have made a surprise cameo in Thor The Dark World.

Terminators ain't too shaby either. Dope story homie!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers