From Their Eyes - Chapter 8 (A Shadow of the Colossus Fic)

RichGenX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RichGenX
Author's Intro

Well, the first full week of February is half over, so to celebrate it, here is the eighth chapter of From Their Eyes. This chapter actually marks the halfway mark of what is complete for this fic. At the time of this posting, the sixteenth chapter is in the works. As I stated in the previous chapter's postings, this particular work probably stands along being written by a fan of a game who has never played the game. I've heard the music, watched playthroughs, but I have no direct experience with it myself, making my fic very unique. As with the previous chapters, I hope you enjoy this one. Now, you know I have been only posting one fic chapter a day, and I do this so not everyone gets pushed out due to multiple posts in a day. However, if you want to bump up my whole story, I understand. I will try to do the same, if you wish that.

Shadow Of The Colossus Disclaimer

Attention: Shadow of the Colossus is property of Sony. This should not be considered canon, but is based off the game. Please forgive any mistakes made, as of my information is from wikias and watching play-throughs on YouTube.com

No Caption Provided

====================================================

From Their Eyes

Prior Chapters
Previous ChapterColossal Combat

Chapter 8: Aquatic Adversaries

Hydrus swam through the depths of the lake that was his home. It was the perfect home for a Colossi whose natural home was a deep lake. It offered solitude, which was nice for his kind. The Colossi that most saw as sea serpents loved their solitude, which is why they also preferred deep bodies of water. Those, however, were in little quantity when they had been banished to this land. The only deep waters Hydrus initially had access to had been the tunnels to the ocean, or the vast body of water Pelagia called home.

Hydrus had once tried to investigate the larger body of water that the other water Colossi called home. That had been a disaster. Pelagia was not about to share the lake, and the two almost fought. The result had been that Hydrus had been forced to live in the smaller, shallower lake at the time.

As Hydrus swam around the depths of his lake, he let his mind wonder back to the times before, back when he was in his homeland. At that time, the lake his type of Colossi lived in was very deep, with a single structure in the center. A vast castle, which had a bridge to a high cliff at one edge of the lake, and would take days to reach from any of the other shores.

His kind of Colossi were made guardians, since the castle had been the prison of the Shadow Queen. A countless age ago, in Hydrus's homeland, the Colossi and the other beings of the land were plagued by shadow creatures, led by a shadow that held the form of a humanoid woman. Eventually, the Shadow Queen and her most powerful minions were contained in the castle, and the lesser shadows were exterminated. The Shadow Queen, who could not be destroyed, still resided there, even though her minions were dying off.

During one of Hydrus's times surfacing around the castle, he had first seen Dormin. The powerful, horned Colossi had been studying the castle, almost infatuated with it. It was not unusual to see the occasional Colossi staring at the cursed place, but he had seen Dormin come back many times. It had become an unhealthy infatuation.

Hydrus, however, had been blind to what Dormin had actually been doing. He was the only who had ever seen Dormin there, and he never realized that Dormin was up to something. The result had been Dormin breaking free many of the shadow beings. It was not as many as it could have been, but it was enough. The result had been a war between Colossi, and the near end of the Shadow Queen.

Since Hydrus had not realized what was happening, nor told of the repeated visits by Dormin, he had been exiled with the others. It was a huge blow, since he had been forced to live in a small area. That, he felt, was an extra punishment for not saying anything about Dormin.

Hydrus was brought out of his thoughts when he heard a voice in his mind. “Hydrus. You must be on your guard. Dormin has tricked a little person into helping him. They have already killed six of the others. They need to be stopped. If Dormin is restored, he will take vengeance on the little people, and even the home world.” It had been Malus, and Hydrus knew a warning when he heard one.

He reacted to the news quickly, since right after he heard from Malus, he heard something enter the water high above him. As he swam up to investigate, he remembered the little people, and that some of his lake had used to be their homes. Dormin had flooded the area, punishing the little people for not paying tribute. Hydrus had been aghast at that, especially since their tragedy added to his domain. Out of respect to the dead, he remained in the part that was his original home.

As he neared the surface, however, Hydrus saw the man swimming along. Actually, the little man was, as the little people called it, treading water. If this was the little man working for Dormin, there was only one reason the man was here. He swiftly moved through the water, preparing his devastating attack.

On Hydrus's back, there were three spines that created an electrical charge. A shock in the water, Hydrus knew, would kill the little man. It had happened before, with a few luckless little people, who tried to tempt fate. To this little man, it would be a quick death. He had no doubt the man was already dying, especially as Dormin's spirit consumed the man.

As he neared, he was surprised that the little man had moved away from the shock points. Not only that, the man had grabbed his tail. That should not be possible. A little person could not move like that. None had done that in the past. What made it worse was the little man was moving along his body, striking at the very points that allowed him to shock attackers. Each blow disabled one of the shock points.

Hydrus knew what he had to do. He started diving deep. He knew the little people were not made for diving deep into the water. The deeper he would go, the water would either drown, or crush the man. Of course, that was if the man didn't realize the danger they were in. Once Hyrdus reached a certain depth, he was thankful that the man let go.

Hydrus was certain what had happened at that point. The man had either drowned, or was crushed to death, and since the body was dead, it could no longer hold on. The little man had to be dead, and Hydrus relaxed, returning to the surface. He would have to dispose of the body, after the essence of Dormin left it. That would be enough to restore the fallen Colossi.

Those thoughts were cut short, however, when Hydrus felt the man grab hold of him again. The little man wasn't dead. It could not be possible. What was worse was that the only shock point left was at his head, near the sigil that bound Dormin’s essence to him.

Hydrus decided it was time for a different tactic. He breached the surface, and swam at break neck speeds. He had hoped that by doing so, the little man would lose his grip again, and go tumbling back into the lake. He kept up this tactic, until he felt a stabbing pain at his head. He knew what it was the second it happened. The sigil had been pierced.

In that moment, Hydrus stopped accelerating. The body kept moving forwards, but it started to thrash as Hydrus’ brain shut down. He noticed that in his final moments, the water was getting darker. He even felt his body start to sink. As his body died, Hydrus felt the essence of Dormin leaving where the sigil had been. He was sure it was snaking through the water, and making its way to the little man. Maybe, if they were lucky, the little man would drown, ruining Dormin’s plans. That was the last thought Hydrus had.

No Caption Provided

Dormin could sense the death of Hydrus, and he knew his preparations had been successful. More of his essence entered the little man, and that would mean he would be stronger. After that, he could start using that essence to make some of the next encounters easier. The next few Colossi would be dangerous to defeat, if the man went unaided.

While he was focused on those thoughts, Dormin almost missed the fact that the little man was now sinking into the lake. At that moment, Dormin sent some of the shadow beings to fetch the little man. He could not let the man die now. He was close to halfway done with his task. Besides, he needed the little man’s body should this plan be foiled. He didn’t think it would be, but there was always the possibility.

He stopped musing on that when he noticed the man had been placed in the Temple. Soon the figure would stir, and they would be off to their next battle. Dormin knew the next one was dangerous. He would have to take the time to prep the body again. The next Colossi was to be Kuromori, and his type of Colossi were always very aggressive. No doubt it was why that one had been confined to a specific structure the little people had built. He would have to afford a little more energy into the man, so the man could withstand the toxins that kind of Colossi used as a weapon. As he prepared the little man, he kept thinking that soon, his freedom would be at hand.

Next ChapterRevenging Reptile
Following Chapters
Chapter 10Terror in The Mist
Chapter 11Hunger of the Sands
Chapter 12Fire Will Not Kill Me
Chapter 13I Do Have Eyes
Chapter 14Care Free No More
Chapter 15Chase In The Overgrown Ruins
Chapter 16On The Old Palace Grounds
Chapter 17The Final Hero Falls
Chapter 18(Untitled Dormin & Mono Chapter)
Chapter 19(Untitled Ico/Shadow Queen Chapter)
Last Chapter(Untitled Last Guardian/Master of the Valley Chapter)
Library PageRichGenX's Library - From Their Eyes