Flaming Angel: Xibalban Avatar on Earth

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 2nd BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #68!

DateCB 1-ShotsViewRead the...
01/02/18Flaming Angel: Xibalban Avatar on Earth(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
TGiant bird threatens monkeys and human race. Girl versus mad god.

Guatemala

...that Mayan loony-bird, Fallayershnozl.
...that Mayan loony-bird, Fallayershnozl.

My name is Cali Jente, but most people in Guatemala call me Red-Hot. I'm trying to get the press to accept a name change to Flaming Angel, but I'm having little success. Ever since my parents brought me here from the States, I've had a love of the rainforest. It's quiet compared to the city, although the animals sound unusually agitated today. Still, it's one of the few places I can avoid that Mayan loony-bird, Fallayershnozl. I know right? That's a mouthful. We just call him Toucan the Terrible. Silly bird thinks I'm destined to be his avatar on earth, or something, and dogs my heels at every turn. So here I am in the rainforest again, hiding from a naked red bird-god with four eyes and a giant beak- embarrassing.

As usual, my path through the forest is taking me to the canopy of the Fire Monkeys; a group of spider monkeys that have been bonded with Superbugs- the Hyper-Parasites that seem to have appeared at just about every major meteor crater on Earth. The ones that bonded with these monkeys are thought to have come from the Chicxulub crater, underneath the Yucatan Peninsula. Fire Monkeys have enhanced strength, are nearly invulnerable, can fly, and can breathe fire, just like the human Dragon Men that have bonded to the bugs. They have been known to catch sections of the forest on fire with their breath, which they must have done today, because the smell of smoke is wafting through the trees. I know, I know, I sound like a nature show. My parents have had me studying up on everything Guatemala, so sue me.

I like the Fire Monkeys though. Thanks to my fire powers, I'm one of the few people in the area that can get close to them without getting burned. I can also put out the fires they cause, which I suppose I'll have to do today. Since my powers were inherited from my mom- one of the Dragon Men herself- the monkeys seem to recognize me, and let me hang out with them without attacking me. One of them has even taken a shine to me, never hesitating to jump right in my arms when he sees me. I call him Klepto, because he likes to steal things that don't belong to him. Like my jewelry, which I quit wearing because of him.

As I get closer to their canopy, the smoke gets thicker, but seems to be dying down. I enter their domain, and I'm completely shocked to see nothing but burned out trees, and piles of burning undergrowth. I can hear the Fire Monkeys screaming excitedly from somewhere beyond the burned out area, and then I see why. There in the middle of the smoldering section of forest hovers...

"Klepto!" I scream.

"Did you really think I didn't know about these creatures?" asks a familiar voice.

"Toucan the Terrible! Let him go!" I shout frantically.

"No, child," says the red god, "I think I'll use him to burn down all of the rainforest. That would have quite the impact on this pitiful planet, wouldn't it? And when the humans finally have their weapon to destroy the so-called 'Dragon Men,' these Fire Monkeys will be the first they test those weapons on. It won't be pretty," he sneered. "It will kill them."

I was horrified. "If you do that, you'll kill off a major part of the human race! Less people for you to rule! Do you want that?"

"I don't care how many people are on this planet, girl. Just that they bow to me. However," said the red god, "you could save them."

I was taken aback. "Me? What do you w--"

"You know what I want girl! Do not waste my time!" he shouted, and then concentrated on Klepto, which made the monkey scream and breathe fire at the same time.

I don't see another choice. "Okay, Toucan," I say nervously. "You win. I'll do it."

"Do what?" he asks snidely. "I want to hear you say it."

"I'll be your avatar on earth," I say quietly, tears rolling down my cheeks.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!" shouts the bird. "At long last! No longer confined to this Mayan territory! Fallayershnozl shall walk the earth again!"

My powers flare involuntarily...
My powers flare involuntarily...

Toucan the Terrible's top set of eyes glow brightly, and just like that, I am his. I hover in the air as if held in some invisible fist, rising to the tops of the trees. My powers flare involuntarily, making the treetops glow red, and then explode. I want to scream, but I can't. My powers, my body, everything now belongs to Fallayershnozl.

As the explosions die down, Klepto settles on my shoulder, also in the grip of the mad, red god. "At last, you are mine!" he shouts. "My avatar on earth! And as you've wished, all will know you as my FLAMING ANGEL!" My body spewed fire in every direction at his proclamation, Klepto let out another blast with a roar, and Toucan the Terrible seemed to laugh endlessly. If I were able, I would weep for this planet. Instead, all I can do is laugh along with him.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #68.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:
Characters:
  • Jente, Cali (Red-Hot; Flaming Angel)
  • Klepto
  • Toucan the Terrible (Fallayershnozl)
Groups:
  • Dragon Men
  • Fire Monkeys
  • Hyper-Parasites (Superbugs)
  • unnamed parents
Comic Characters used in this fic:

Non-Fiction

Public Domain

Picture credits:
The pic of Toucan the Terrible is chopped a bit, including pasting in eyes from a pic of Trigon, but this is from the logo for Red Toucan.
The pic of the girl floating in the burning forest is called "Smoulder," by Lois van Baarle of loish.net. Used with permission.
CCC #68 comments for Flaming Angel: Xibalban Avatar on Earth:
CommentWho
I've read them all (well, almost all since I couldn't vote for my own), and I cast my vote for cbishop.RichGenX
I vote flaming angelDanteKesha
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #196

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

The Origins Behind the Origins (or how some of these characters got their names):

Jente, Cali (Red-Hot; Flaming Angel)

Wordplay: "caliente" - Spanish for "hot." Cali Jente had been on my late 2000, but Red-Hot I came up with on the fly for the CCC. I really love the picture Smoulder, by Lois van Baarle that I gave for this contest. Looking at the picture with her hot-orange hair, and the way the tops of the trees were red hot, it just seemed natural. Honestly, I like that name better than Flaming Angel- I don't even think Flaming Angel is a good name. But... I needed Toucan the Terrible to call her something else after taking her as his avatar, and that's what I came up with on short notice lol. I don't like it though, and eventually, someone is going to free her from being his avatar... I think.

Fire Monkeys

Way back when I was a kid, when I was tracing Mighty Men & Monster Maker figures, and drawing costumes on them for my characters, I was still pretty much in the stage of making "my versions" of other characters. If I liked a design- costume, the way a roller coaster was painted, whatever... I probably made it into a character at some point. Copying ideas was not beyond me either.

One of the ideas I really liked was Kitty Pryde's pet dragon, Lockheed. Man, I wanted a pet dragon that could watch my back! Anyway, I created a couple of characters that were my first attempts at "being original" ...fail... they were basically my versions of Supergirl and Andromeda from LSH, and I think I stole one of their costumes from a Dial H For Hero character, but added a cape. Anyway, I gave her a pet monkey that could fly, and it had an orange fire aura around it when it flew. In my mind, it had fire powers.

I don't really remember why I went with a monkey, instead of just copying the dragon thing from Lockheed... maybe in that effort to go original. Maybe something else I was looking at had a characte with a spider monkey as a pet.

Anyway, skip ahead a few decades to Comic Vine, and my whole Dragon Men idea, and I started thinking that maybe Hyper-Parasites invaded not just humans, but whatever beasts they could find to serve as hosts... or maybe just mammals, although that does leave the choices pretty open. At any rate, I remembered the flying fire monkey, and thought, "Yeah, let's bring those back." There you have it.

Klepto

Klepto was the name of that first Fire Monkey. I had been recently intro'd to "clepto/ cleptomaniac" by something on TV, and thought it was a funny term. Kid's-thinking-bonus: spelled with a "K," it looks pretty close to "Krypto." Modern day bonus: monkeys are somewhat clepto- known for grabbing things from people and taking off with them. So, it fits that the Fire Monkey would be named that. That's why I threw in the thing about Klepto stealing Red-Hot's jewelry.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading. :^D