Filling The Void

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Jor-El’s maths was off by a decimal. That meant his infant son, Kal, survived the explosion of the planet Krypton but missed the blue marble at the other end of the universe and rocketed on a near endless trek through the darkness of space.

Thomas Wayne looked at his son, “The theatre you say? Martha! Where are our passports?”

“Thomas?”

“If you’re going to see a show, you may as well see the best. Alfred, ready the car, we’re going to London.”

Hippolyta sculpted the child with care and love. It was exquisite, lifelike, but still just a work of art. She held it aloft.

“Oh god’s of Olympus, hear my plea! Grant me a child.”

On this day there was silence. No pity taken. No miraculous event occurred.

The Queen of the Amazons wept long into the next day.

Barry Allen lay paralysed and unconscious at Central City General. He had chemical burns to seventy percent of his body as well as the massive trauma from being hit with a lightning bolt. His mother Iris could only watch as the machine breathed for him.

Tom Curry downed the remnants of the bourbon bottle and tossed it into the raging sea. In his alcohol laden imagination he saw Neptune and Posideon fighting for control of the sea. It made him laugh.

He swayed back inside to to control panel of the lighthouse and sat. No ships on the radar. Nothing but him and the massive light. He put his head on his arms for a little rest...

“If you don’t TELL me your name, how can I say it?!?” yelled twelve year old Billy Batson at the wizard sitting on the stone throne. “Is it Bob? Jerry? Tell me!”

The wizard Shazam sighed and rubbed his temple. “Perhaps you are not the champion I thought you were.”

“I don’t know what you want! I don’t even know where I am!” Billy shrieked. “I want to go home!”

Shazam raised a crooked finger at the boy. “I hope I find someone in time.”

Billy reappeared back in the subway carriage staring into the face of a transit officer. “End of the line kid.”

Abin-Sur crouched behind the rocks. Legion, the yellow creature who had forced his crash landing upon the primitive world of Earth, inspected the wreckage. It angrily spat on it and returned to his own ship before rocketing off into the sky.

Abin made a communication device with the ring, establishing contact with the Guardians on the planet Oa. “This Abin-Sur, Green Lantern of Sector 2814 requesting immediate backup.”

The world is bereft of those who inspired generations. Is there anyone to fill the void?

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

I like this. A bit like Marvel's Ruins, but minus most of the edge, which in this case is not a bad thing. Are you doing just heroes or villains as well?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: I hadn’t thought of the villains yet, but since a lot of bad guys have their origins because of good guys that’d also change.

I’ll look at that, it’s given me something cool to ponder

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

User Lists: 1092

#4  Edited By cbishop

@batkevin74: Nice beginning. To me, this wipes out the "current" crop to clear the stage for a spotlight once again on the older generation of heroes- cue the JSA and their descendants: Infinity, Inc., and the Young All-Stars. :) ...But I do realize that's probably not where you were going with this.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: I loved Infinity Inc! It baffles me as a kid on how they were the kids but not the kids of superheroes.

Again you’ve given me something to think about as I hadn’t even thought about that, like Wildvine’s idea

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: They weren't? I thought that was their whole thing, that they were the kids of the JSA? It's possible that Crisis messed that up. I thought Nuklon was connected to Atom, and Fury was originally the daughter of the E2 Wonder Woman, but that got retconned just after Crisis to her being the daughter of the Golden Age Fury (whose costume I remember as being gold spandex). The rest, I don't recall. DC totally should have reused the Silver Scarab name for Jaime Reyes though, and kept Ted Kord as Blue Beetle. :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: It was because they were from Earth 2, or 7 which did my head in. Northwind was Hawkman's son but wasn't, Fury was supposedly an Amazon and they were constantly trying to join the JLA or JSA...I loved and totally didn't get the series when I originally read it. It's probably worth a re-reading

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I really wanted to collect Infinity Inc and Young All-Stars, because they spun out of All-Star Squadron which I was collecting. Mom drew the line though, and wouldn't get them for me lol. I'm trying to build both series as I run across cheap copies. I thought I was going to luck out and get TPB's, but DC only did 2 vols of Infinty, Inc., and then quit.

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

@batkevin74: Great little story you got here! Can't wait to see some more but I must admit I was hoping for Martian Manhunters revised (or lack thereof a) origin story to be included