Oh no, a writing contest!
There was the fan-fic versus tournament thing that fell apart due to many, many factors. So this is something new, it was broached a few months ago by myself to several others and met with apathy, disinterest, meh-ness and too many questions I thought "Why on earth did I even start this venture?"
But occassionally I try to do nice things. So I'm trying again with this initial premise of a Write Out Contest.
How it works will be roughly like this:
1) Those who want in, indicate they want in by posting here in the thread something like "I'm in!" or "Cool, sounds good!" etc etc. Those who don't just read it and move along. No need for 'Sorry, I'm too busy" because if you're able to write that, then you're not too busy :)
2) Once we have several contestants, we begin the Write Out
3) Contestants will be matched by randomly, probably me writing everyones names down tossing them into the air and plucking the first two out, then matching the others on the floor into pairs or something as equally arbitrary
4) If you enter a story you vote, from start to finish ! You read ALL and you vote.
5) No extensions! You miss the deadline...the word is ominous for a reason, DEADLINE, you miss it unlucky! Yes things happen in life, I get that but tough!
6) People can vote how they feel, preferably upon merit but factors like spelling, formatting, misunderstanding the task etc; can & SHOULD be held against you as this is a contest! Treat it like ice skating you are judged on several criteria: ability, technical difficulty, presentation, audience appeal, costume, music choice, smiling! One day we all hope to turn our fan-fiction into an actual paying job at our favourite comic book publisher, so this contest will also.
7) There may be a prize, an actual prize but that depends if I can wrangle people from the Artist Show Off section, otherwise it is simple bragging rights
8) The first challenge will be a 250 word MAXIMUM short story, on what....well let's see if this gets off the ground first okay.
9) We will cover a wide range of comics: Marvel, DC, Image & Dark Horse because people like different things, also to test your skills at writing things you are not that familiar with.
10) That's 9 very good points, this 10th one is merely me making up a 10 point plan
There you go. I shall leave this up for 7 days and at the end of that I shall work out if it actually happens or not. And I'm considering an ice skating/Formula 1 type scoring system so EVERYONE plays til the end
Anyway that's the premise, the idea, the pitch!
So you in?