• 153 results
#151 Posted by wildvine (14855 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: First chapters are hard for everyone, so don't get discouraged there. As for characters, once you get rolling new characters will come out of the trees, so just focus on a core group, say 5-6, depending on how grand this tale is, and then add more as they are needed (or appear). Lets start with the MC. A name would be good, then add a few character flaws. Are the weapons standard or does he prefer them? Does he enjoy fighting or hate it? What are his powers? What does he want out of life? You don't have to tell me, these are just good starting points. Once you know what the character wants the story will begin to show itself, since the story should involve some conflict for our hero. Nail those things down and we'll move on

#152 Posted by XLR87T3 (9106 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Well I had a rough draft chapter, but it's not good enough to be a legit chapter. His name is Gaston Skovgaard. And as for the weapon, I don't want him to ever use a sword, averting the Heroes Prefer Swords trope. His main weapon is a spear, hands down, and story-wise I can make it so that he doesn't have much knowledge using swords anyways. So it's kind of both standard and a preference.

He dislikes fighting, like most normal people, but he'll fight if he must. Gaston has been in a few small fights before the start of the story, mainly by the local lord.

His powers are gained from a rock underneath the ground, which he fell upon when he was just about killed by a group of knights as they were raping and pillaging the "enemy" village and Gaston tried to run away & snitch. To him, it is a gift from the gods, but in reality its highly advanced extraterrestrial technology that gives him: Superhuman strength, speed, durability, and upgrades his weapon massively. His spear is like Mjolnir in that it always comes back after it is thrown, and it can pretty much pierce anything ("unstoppable spear vs unbreakable shield" trope).

What does he want out of life? He wants to do the right thing, and keep his morals in this darkened world. He's a very pure character, and is trying not to break. Gaston also yearns for respect, which no one seems to give (a recurring joke that eventually becomes a serious issue).

#153 Posted by wildvine (14855 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: Okay, what if there are other pieces of this alien tech in the world? What if someone already found some? That could be your answer to magic if you wanted. Now just make some support characters. A friend, a father figure, a love interest, something like that.

#154 Edited by XLR87T3 (9106 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Well, he has his Mom, his brother. I might make a bodyguard like Skyrim's housecarls after the King notices him, but I'm not sure. This guy obviously doesn't have a lot of friends.

But your idea about there being more than one of those mysterious rocks is pretty great idea IMO. But it should still be extremely rare, so to mosy parts of the world something like this is still extraordinary.

#155 Posted by wildvine (14855 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: Oh I agree. There should only be one or two other alien artifacts, if that. But you can sprinkle legends about objects since legends can be true, exaggerated or even completely made up. Okay if he doesn't have a support cast then you need some co-stars that don't directly tie to him and have their own things going on. Or that's what I would do. Its possible to write a story mostly about one character, but its easier when you have good cast of characters

How fantastic are you going? Demons and elves and such, or more real-world creatures?

#156 Posted by XLR87T3 (9106 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine:There are multiple characters, it's just that most of them are villains or eventually revealed as such. For example, the king is a big one, since Gaston idolizes him to the point where he's practically a father figure, and the King would naturally want someone as gifted as him to work for and report to himself (the King). After the whole "knights raping & pillaging village" fiasco (which ended in all the soldiers dying and the remaining townspeople wondering WTF just happened) the King basically played dumb and chastised those dead men, while praising Gaston's good deed. Again, manipulation.

It's mostly realistic so far, except there's dragons (can't go wrong with dragons)

#157 Edited by wildvine (14855 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3: Sounds like you have it on lockdown then. Not sure what else to add

#158 Edited by Roverlord (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I need feedback to my fanfics

- Sunshine is far away (https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/sunshine-is-far-away-capt-america-mirrorverse-read-1986877/)

- Spider-Man: Shattering the looking glass (https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/spider-man-shattering-the-looking-glass-1986866/)

- The creepy case of Captain Rogers & Herr Schädel (https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/fan-fic-8/the-creepy-case-of-captain-rogers-and-herr-schadel-1986864/)

Sunshine Is Far Away is about an alternate universe where Captain America is a villain and Red Skull is a hero.

Spider-Man: Shattering The Looking Glass is about Spider-man ******** with dr. Dooms invention and getting sent to an universe where the avengers are evil and their enemies are good.

The Creepy Case Of Captain Rogers & Herr Schädel is an AU inspired by Jekyll & Hyde where Steve is Jekyll and Red Skull is Hyde and it's all the serum's fault.

#160 Posted by silverspidey (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I am currently posting my story - Star Wars - The Campaign (A Marvel Story)

Synopsis:

Time is off, something is wrong. Events are not happening in the way it is suppose to have happened. After the events of a New Hope, something or someone, has given Darth Sidious reason to investigate a fable, his universe is not the only one. His universe is actually 'half' and the other is void of the force. Darth Sidious is now on a quest to tear across time and space to Universe 616, the rightful home universe of the Dark Side and thus bring the Galactic Empire into a Sith Sovereignty. Everything is about to change for the Rebel Alliance, for the Marvel Universe and Time and Space as a whole and it all begins with one person - Uatu the Watcher.

#161 Posted by silverspidey (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I am Currently Posting my Story - DC BEGINNINGS: GREEN LANTERN CORPS.

The Galaxy's only means of protection has a dark secret, a secret that will change the safety of everyone in the universe. However, the only person that can help the universe recover, is the last person anyone every wanted. Witness the birth of a legend. The good will be seen. The Ugly will be known and the Bad will be plentiful. Come ready the birth of legend and will of one.