• 59 results
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By joshmightbe

I've been away from fic writing for a while but I'm looking to get back into it. I was hoping to get some help building a world.

The Premise- After centuries of conflict brought about by the gods meddling in the lives of mortals the creator of the universe grew tired of it and banned all other gods, angels and demons from directly interacting with the mortal world.

Around 20 to 30 years ago the gods discovered a loophole that allowed for them to come to Earth in the form of human Avatars. When the creator discovered this he placed a restriction. These gods could still go down and assume human form but they were forced to be born as humans with no recollection of their former selves and would be forced to relearn the use of their godly, angelic or demonic powers.

The gods living in the eternal realm are unaware of these restrictions due to the fact that no gods have returned to speak of it so their migration is a recurring phenomenon.

Now in the modern world these Avatars are beginning to come to an age where their powers are emerging.

Rules- I don't have many rules regarding content but some are necessary.

1. This world works on the notion that all mythological gods, angels and demons are real, tho the stories behind them aren't entirely accurate. Like for instance the Titan Cronos would be real but he didn't create the world by cutting up his father and using the body parts.

2. Angels and Demons can be made up since the myths about them claim entire populations and they aren't all named so if you want to invent a new angel or demon for the purposes of your story thats fine.

3. Mortal beings from mythology that became gods or an equivalent from their myths such as Sun Wukong or Hercules or others can be used as well so long as they work under the same restrictions as the other gods who took on Avatars.

4. You can use whatever type of mythology you like but no supreme beings/creator gods such as Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah just assume those types are all different names for the same guy embodied here by the Creator who has no need of an Avatar form.

Any god from a pantheist religion such as Ra or Odin or Titans are allowed but their roles in the actual creation of the universe is absent.

There is no editorial real editorial control but standard fic group rules apply as far as character use goes.

If you'd like to join sign up here in the comments section.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@joshmightbe: Maybe, trying to clean up some old stuff at the moment

Mention Hercules @johnjo719 and lo he doth appear

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I tried to write up some new chapters for my other stuff but I couldn't think of anything then I had this idea which led to me wanting to see what some of the other writers I like on here could do with it.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Oh I got an idea, just too much for me at the moment

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@batkevin74: lol so true

But I wouldn't want to create a character based off of him though. I'd do it based on the Egyptian god Wepwawet

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnjo719: Cool, I have an idea about Gaiya the Aboriginal dingo devil...but nothing more than that yet

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm expecting a Zeus, Athena, and Ares

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@joygirl This could be a good place for Inferno.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnjo719: I fully expect the Greek and Norse gods to be among the first people go for but I'm hoping someone goes for others as well. But given that the characters themselves will start out unaware of where their power comes from there's bound to be something unique to be done with even the most well known gods.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnjo719: Had to google wepwawet, seems like there's plenty of potential there.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@joshmightbe: So basically, these are gods born to mortal bodies that don't know they are gods? So basically these are superpowered people, but their powers have to be based on gods?

I have characters I want to play with from mythology, but the not knowing they are gods is throwing me. I would want to play with their lives/roles through history.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: you got a 30yr window to play with, maybe your guy Jeff the God of Biscuits god's up early

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Well they start unaware but I figure at some point they'll begin to discover what they are. Some gods would probably have powers that would make discovering their origin simpler like with the gods like Zeus or Odin

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: What's the purpose of them not knowing who they are? What's the point of them gradually being able to remember? What destination is it supposed to push towards? The Creator has to have a reason for it. What's the deal? I have a definite idea of who I want to work with, but I'm not sure I understand what the premise is asking me for. Not trying to be difficult here; just trying to understand.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: i don't really have an endgame for this yet. Maybe we could say the Creator felt that if they truly understood what its like to be human they wouldn't use there power as wrecklessly.

For instance if say Zeus suddenly had a mortal mother who he could accidentally kill then maybe he wouldn't just rain hell down on people on the slightest provocation

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Neat idea.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm. I might be interested but I've got other projects I need to finish.

Although Anansi the spider would be my choice. Or Hermes.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@joshmightbe: I'm churning around ideas right now.

Just a few questions: Do the reborn deities/angels/demigods still have some protection against desease or injury? Like, although their abilities are untriggered does that mean their completely mortal?

Since the Elder has restricted other devine beings from reaching Midgard save for the loophole, will we still be able to bring forth foes from the beyond to antagonize our character?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: I'd say they should be just regular people right up to the point they get their powers. Maybe they could have a better than average immune system or generally more physically fit than average but nothing that would really appear super human until they gain their power.

As for your second question, things like angels and demons do exist here and I'd think demons would probably not just jump into a body without doing something to it.

I also had this idea of incorporating the archangel Michael as a character that truly despises all the gods other than the creator and considers these gods to be openly disrespecting him by being on Earth.

Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Guardiandevil83
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: @dagmar_merrill: @guardiandevil83: @johnjo719: @batkevin74: @cbishop: Decided on one addition to the general world Angels that are members of the Seraphim order like Michael, Gabriel and fallen angels like Lucifer will be allowed to be on Earth without needing an Avatar. They can be helpful or antagonistic depending on what people want to do with them.

I'll be posting a chapter soon.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: My brain doesn't want to work this one. Something like this is the main premise of my super characters- God still has to be God. I've got mythological characters running around, but without the memory loss. I've even got the reason they haven't been known on Earth in centuries. This is so close to that, with tweaks I don't know how to adjust to. I'm going to watch this one.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: if you want you could have a character who has figured out their identity and is piecing together what happened to them.

Or you could write from the perspective of one of the Seraphim who can freely travel to Earth. I'm using Michael and Gabriel but the rest of the known ones are free to use or you can make one up I suppose. Not really sure about how many Seraphim exist in Judeo-christian mythology.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cbishop

@joshmightbe: (crap, been reading PM's, forgot this was public. Sending it to you in PM)

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@joshmightbe: I want to say neat again, but I've been saying that too often lately, so, nifty.

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forget what I said earlier, can I please call Dibs On Lucifer

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnjo719: Sure, just remember he has no need of an Avatar. He can have one if he wants but he isn't under the same restrictions as the others.

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks! I believe there are seven seraphim by the way

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnjo719: I was only sure about 4 so I didn't want to be too specific.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

@wildvine: @dagmar_merrill: @guardiandevil83: @johnjo719: @batkevin74: @cbishop: Decided on one addition to the general world Angels that are members of the Seraphim order like Michael, Gabriel and fallen angels like Lucifer will be allowed to be on Earth without needing an Avatar. They can be helpful or antagonistic depending on what people want to do with them.

I'll be posting a chapter soon.

I had an idea going until you added this to the premise.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic: Sorry, had an idea that wouldn't work unless I freed them up, tho its only 7 potential characters that aren't restricted. Its not all angels that don't need Avatars, any that aren't Seraphim have the same restrictions so you can still have an angel stuck in Avatar form just not those 7.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I'm looking into the Grigori which was group of fallen angels. Will get back to you if I come up with something

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

What about a abstract like Death? Or would someone need to pick one of the gods of death?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshmightbe

@wildvine: Depends, if you're referring to a Grim Reaper type personification of the concept of death I suppose that would need to be an exception since people can still die here but if you want to use an actual mythological death god then they'd be under the same restrictions as the rest.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I wonder if you would care if I were to do a sort of prequel to Earthbound. Mind if I shoot you a PM about my idea?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So gods are reborn as reborn as humans, just with similar personalities and powers? Just making sure before I get too crazy with any ideas.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: yes they are born as humans tho they don't necessarily have to have the same personality, since they are born with no memory of their life as gods they have personalities built from their lives as humans.

For instance you could have someone like Ares but have him raised by pacifists in his human life and have him be horrified to discover who he was. They can be as similar to or different from the gods they were as you want them to be.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting work on a series (two actually) both involving Azazel, and other Grigori (The Watchers), and a couple other Gods/Angels/Demons. One series is a prequel called: The Fall of Azazel. The other is simply Earthbound: Azazel chronicling the Earthbound Avatar of Azazel as he battles against evil forces.

@joshmightbe: btw shouldn't we start an Earthbound PM?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic: I was waiting to see how many we get on board. Anyone who wants to get on the PM should let me know by Sunday

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Well you know I definitely want to be on the PM

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

Like, half-way thinking of Kali. But not crazy about group Pm's. I think I could just PM someone for a crossover or whatever. You know?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: You can still participate even if you don't want to be in the group PMs.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

I've just been in a dozen of them, and never really saw one accomplish anything useful for the group.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: They do sometimes get bogged down.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

@joshmightbe:

I've just been in a dozen of them, and never really saw one accomplish anything useful for the group.

This is unfortunately true.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic: They're usually fine until they hit like page 5

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers