joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By joshmightbe

Great Plains, North America many years ago

A large dog like creature speeds an open field. Two powerful beings look down on it as it flees. The larger of the two, the archangel Michael looks on with mild contempt as the other, The archangel Gabriel sets down on the ground.

Michael lands next to him, "This chase has gone on long enough."

Gabriel gives a half smile, "Just letting him have one last run."

Michael glares, "You're too kind to the tricksters."

Gabriel shrugs, "They make things more interesting."

The two suddenly appear before the creature, the trickster spirit Coyote in his animal form. He slid to a stop and tried to turn but Michael moved with blinding speed as he snatched him up.

Coyote snarled as Gabriel spoke, "Calm yourself, we won't harm you but you must leave this world."

He struggled a bit but Michael tightened his grip, "If you prefer I can send you to be with the fallen."

Coyote lowered his head in defeat as Michael sneered, "Good dog."

St. Louis, M.O. 15 years ago

A boy named Sam Smith sneaks out the window of his foster home. Smith isn't his true name, he wasn't even sure what that was. His mother had died giving birth to him and his father had been nowhere to be found so he'd been passed around from foster home to foster home his whole life.

He was a trouble maker from the moment he learned to walk. He'd just arrived at this home earlier that day and decided he may as well take off now since he figured this wouldn't last much longer than the others.

As he hoped down from the window he heard a voice from behind him, "The front door works just fine."

Sam turned to see Gabe, his current guardian. Sam sighed, "Just trying to save us both some time."

Gabe gave a chuckle, "If you take off on day one, its gonna make me look bad."

Sam shrugged, "Keep it to yourself, you'll get your check."

Gabe stood, "Tell you what, you make it to the gate before me, you can walk. I get there first and you give me a month."

Sam looked to the gate several yards away and then back to Gabe leaning against the wall, "Sounds fair."

Sam moved to run but stared in shock as Gabe leaned on the gatepost, "Dinner's on the table."

Sam's eyes were still wide, "How'd you do that?"

"Stick around for a while and I'll show you."

Later that night Sam was sitting on the couch while his fellow foster kid Lucas sat flipping through channels. Sam looked over, "Does Gabe seem weird to you."

Lucas looked back, "My last fosters turned out to be furries, so my bar for weird is a bit high."

Sam gave a wary look, "Seriously?"

Lucas nodded, "He do the gate thing?"

Sam nodded back.

As Saturday arrived Gabe woke the boys, "Still curious?"

Sam noticed it was still dark, "Can this wait till sunrise at least?"

"Nope."

He ushered them into his car and drove onto an open field several miles outside the city. He stopped and got out of the car. Sam and Lucas followed as he asked, "My father taught me and my brothers something called Krav Seriph. According to him, it was the first martial art, it's how angels fight."

The boys gave a sigh as Lucas asked, "Is this where you tell us you're in a cult?"

Gabe burst out laughing, "This has nothing to do with religion but faith does help."

He noticed the wary looks they gave him, "Fine, I'll just show you."

He turned from them and took a deep breath. He then crouched down and jumped high in the air leaving the boys in awe. He then slammed a foot hard into the ground with enough force to bounce the car as the boys fell to the ground. Sam jumped up, "What the hell was that?"

Gabe grinned, "Mostly a bid for attention. I don't expect you boys to be capable of anything near that, at least not now but if you're willing to learn I can teach you to do things you can't imagine."

Now

Sam looked at the TV as a news anchor spoke, "Its hard to describe what he just saw, it seems two men who were engaged in a street brawl seem to be responsible for an earthquake. Eye witness reports state the men seemed to take flight."

As Sam looked on the grainy footage a bloodied Gabe stumbled through the door. He looked to Sam, "You need to....run, find Lucas and get as far from here....."

The front wall of the house seemed to explode as a large man entered. He reached down and snatched Gabe up by the throat, "Its time you return home brother."

Sam moved to help but Gabe shook his head at him. Sam got down behind the couch as the man jumped up with Gabe tearing a hole in the roof as he flew off.

Sam grabbed his phone and car keys as he dialed Lucas.

Lucas was sitting outside the bar and grill where he worked as a short order cook. A cigarette hanging from his lip as his phone rang. He looked down to see Sam was calling him, "I only got about 5 minutes of break, this better be important."

"Gabe's brothers found him."

Lucas' eyes went wide, "Where are you?"

(To be continued)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

@joshmightbe: The part with the Coyote was interesting, but after that you kind of lost me. I had a pretty hard time figuring out what was going on.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

@delphic: I'll try to clear some things up in the next chapter.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@joshmightbe: I followed it just fine. The angelic martial arts thing was an interesting touch. Between your chapter and batkev's, I might know how I can make my idea work after all. I'll think on it a little bit.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Well there are a great amount of talk in the mythology about angels doing battle so i fugured it'd just make sense for them to have their own form of martial arts.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#8  Edited By cbishop
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Tho i did try to make it clear they wouldn't be able to do all he could do as humans but since I pretty much suck a subtlety I will understand if people missed it.