Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1068

Edited By cbishop
DateDCBViewRead the...
03/09/16Captain Marvel and the Sidekicks(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
ESuitable for everyone.
Intro:

I have a lot of fan-fic notes from the late 1990's, and just a few scenes that I wrote. Mainly focusing on DC, I wanted to write a generational fan-fic, where the DC characters aged, died, and were replaced. This involved a lot of name-switching and history-tweaking.

I have other plans for Superboy & Supergirl, so I wanted to do something with the Matrix Supergirl and Kon-El. I named them Captain Marvel and Powerboy. This scene was really just a short thing I wrote in a notebook back in 2011, and it needs to be fleshed out some more later, but this is what I started with:

The press gathered near the site of Superman's Memorial, eager to know about the two new heroes in Metropolis. A reporter called out, "Miss! Miss! What's your name?"

The blonde heroine, hovering just high enough for all to see, answered, "In the universe I come from, I was dubbed The Marvel. During the time of the Earth/Krypton war, I rose to the rank of captain in the Earth forces."

"Captain Marvel! I like it!" beamed the reporter. "Who's your kid sidekick?"

The young clone of Superman stepped forward, "I'm not her sidekick! But like her, I was created in a lab, but in this universe. My name is--"

"Captain Marvel, Jr.?" snickered a voice from behind.

The clone snapped his head around to see that he had been followed by the Newsboy Legion. Grinning mischievously at him, he could tell that they intended to be pains. "I suppose you could call me 'Captain Marvel, Jr.,' but I was going to go with 'Powerboy,'" he declared. "But if I was a Marvel, these would be my Lieutentants Marvel- Big Words, Fat, Tall, and Hill Billy Marvel!"

"Hey! Youse--" protested Fat, only to be stifled by his compatriots.

"Now is not the time for altercations," said Big Words.

"It's certainly not," they heard from behind.

Looking behind them, one of the boys shouted, "Guardian!"

"Oh good," said Powerboy. "Uncle Marvel."

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally written 07/20/11
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be edited.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Yes! Guardian!! #TeamHarper.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: I've never been able to get all that excited about Guardian. He's practically Captain America, but with such a blah costume. I've always wondered what the original creator's idea was on the history of the shield, as it seems to be impervious much like Captain America's. That really interests me.

One of the subplots of Superman's death was that Auron was another clone created from Jim Harper, and Auron wound up scanning a disk of Supes' DNA info into his jetpack. Destroyed in space, the pack was sold at a space bar (because you know, the first thing we should do in space is make sure there are plenty of places to get a beer) and nothing was ever heard about it again.

I always assumed that this is where Hank Henshaw gained the Kryptonian DNA in his system as Cyborg Superman, but I don't think that was ever addressed. I know he got the Kryptonian metal from Kal-El's rocket, which was in orbit at the time.

I think part of my problem is that my first exposure to the Guardian name at DC was when Mal of the original Teen Titans became Guardian. He went into the Titans' vault and took an exoskeleton, put Guardian's costume on over it, appropriated the shield, and voila- the Titans' new member. So when Jim Harper was reintroduced years later, he was new to me, and therefore an impostor. lol ...Of course, Harper had come way before, but I didn't know that.