DC Mayhem: Action Comics #1

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By _Atomikill_

Authors Note: Hello, this is part of my series to start up for writing for DC Mayhem... kinda a trial thing. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy.

It was a boring day at the Central City Police Department, boring and quiet. As the only two sounds in the department were the sound of phones ringing with the occasional light talking and the buzz of flies, it was very calm and peaceful. Especially for Barry Allen- the police department's head detective, and the department's laziest. While being able to solve seemingly any case the police threw at him in record timing, he had a lot of time to spare, as there were so little cases, with so much time.

Now, Barry was fast asleep, his head on his desk as he snoozed happily, a small pool of drool going onto the paper next to him. However, his nap was suddenly interrupted, by the sound of the loudest police chief in the world. Snapping up, with the paper connected to his face, he quickly brushed himself up and put the paper on his desk as he quickly organized some papers, acting like he had been ready the entire time.

"Barry! Got a fresh case for you. Ya know? What ya get paid for, instead of sleeping?!" Chief Welch snapped, a burly man with a droopy mustache and fiery brown eyes, with a short haircut. Slamming a file down on Barry's desk, he turned and started walking away, grumbling something about cutting paychecks. But Barry wasn't worried- he knew he was the finest police detective in the business, and his pay would stay as high as it was. Opening the file carefully, Barry pulled out a small DVD, along with a few papers. Action first, paperwork later. That's the way he rolled.

As he slid the disk into the computer he sat in front of everyday, he typed in a few keys, running a hand through his short, light blonde hair and sighing as he sat back in his chair.

Whirring, the video started playing, and Barry couldn't believe his eyes. For what he saw, was a gorilla. However, the gorilla had a menacing look to it- which, Barry thought all gorillas had- but he soon learned this look was purposeful, as the gorilla spoke.

"Hello, Central City. I am Grodd. And I have planted nuclear bombs all over the city, in exchange for you all meeting my demands. However, I am no monster. I will not blow up the bombs unless you fail to meet my first demand in a weeks time. What is this demand? Simple- and a small start. I simply ask for a stick of plutonium. Put it in front of the City Hall by the end of the week, or you shall all die." Grodd smiled a bit, showing his monkey fangs as the video quickly whirred and went to a stop. Barry couldn't help but laugh. It was a gorilla? Ridiculous. Must be some sort of internet pranksters. However, he was given the assignment, which he was surprised about, considering the Rogues usually handled this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, the Rogues were in Metropolis, fighting whatever alien threat came back up to destroy the world again. Barry wished he could get a hold of some of the Thawne Industries equipment that the Rogues had. Sadly, though, Eobard Thawne- a wealthy businessman in Central City- was not going to simply hand over some brand new technology all willy-nilly. That would be ludicrous. No, Barry would have to stick to detective work. At least, for now.

______________________________________________________________________________________

As Barry walked back to his small apartment, he thought about the monstrous gorilla that was going to potentially destroy the city. It was a stretch, but Barry wondered if he could possibly find the bombs on his own. It was the Bomb squad's job, but-

"Uncle Barry!" His thoughts were interrupted as a fiery red haired twelve year old boy ran up to him, ramming into him with a hug. Wallace West, nicknamed Wally, was the only family Barry really had, after his sister had passed away from cancer.

"Woah there, Rudolph, be careful." Barry chuckled a bit as he walked into the two roomed apartment he called home, putting his keys in a small dish by the door as he sat on the couch- Wally following. The two made idle chat for a while, before Wally asked if anything exciting had happened at work.

"Not much... except for a talking gorilla."

"Get out."

"I'm serious!"

Barry laughed as Wally didn't believe him. He wouldn't believe it at first either, but he had seen the video, and while it was supposedly 'confidential' to talk about crime in Central City, he figured he would be fine. What would he possibly lose? His apartment? He snorted lightly at the thought of it, watching TV as he got up to make some dinner for his nephew and himself.

"Macaroni and cheese sound good?" Barry called out as he grabbed a packet of macaroni from the nearly bare cupboards, filling a pot with water and turning up the heat.

As the two ate on the couch, they talked about Grodd and his message.

"So, there are bombs all across the city? And you wanna find 'em?" Wally asked, eyes bright and blue as he looked up at Barry through a mouthful of macaroni. The two had no strict etiquette- Barry had been the same way when he was Wally's age, and even did so now.

"Yessir." Barry chewed, as he thought of why Wally wanted to know.

"Can I come?"

Barry almost choked on his macaroni. "Hell no you can't come look for bombs with me!" He snapped, grabbing the dirty dishes.

After a short while of begging, Barry finally gave in- little to Wally's knowledge that it would simply be a wild goose chase led by his uncle.

So, in the middle of the night, Barry and Wally went out for a night on the town, checking everywhere for bombs but alas finding none. But Wally didn't want to not find bombs- and he almost always got what he wanted.

As Barry turned to walk home, he sighed and spoke. "Well, I guess there are no bombs tonight. Come on, kiddo." He said, as he waited for a reply. And waited. And waited. Whipping around, Barry found that Wally was nowhere in sight.

"Wally!" He shouted, looking around frantically for the child- who had decided to take the treasure hunt into his own hands by running off.

As Wally panted from running, he looked up at the huge skyscraper he thought the bomb could be in. Thawne Industries. The perfect place. He couldn't believe his uncle for leading him for so long only to be disappointed- he had known it was a false trail from the start.

Walking up to the wall of the skyscraper, Wally looked it up and down, surveying how he'd get inside. Maybe there was a door on the roof? He knew that was over a hundred floors up, but he didn't care. He was merely a child, not having any clue at all on proportions. So, he grabbed onto the ledge of the window, and started climbing up.

And this, is where Eobard Thawne comes in. The richest (and maybe smartest) man in Central City was a master at scientific study and research, always wanting to increase humans to even more. He had done so by creating cybernetic weaponry which he implanted into different individuals- Leonard Snart, George Harkness, Mick Rory, Mark Mardon, and Axel Walker. They in turn became the heroes of Central City, as the Rogues- promoting Thawne Industries, along the way.

Tonight, however, Thawne had a brand new cybernetic formula he wanted to try out. All he needed, was a candidate. Holding the golden glowing formula in his hands, his eyes widened as he heard tapping against his glass window. A boy was on the other side- slipping, going to fall. Well, Thawne decided this was just what he needed. Opening the window, Thawne grunted as he grabbed the boys arm, pulling him up and into the room.

"Ow..." Wally muttered, as he rubbed his head. Turning to Thawne, he quickly prepared to ask if there were any bombs in the vicinity, when he suddenly had a golden glowing liquid injected into his arm. Yelling out in pain, the serum went into him, and the world blacked out.

Wally woke up on the street, facing Barry, who was on the phone with 911. "Barry..." He muttered, crawling up to his knees as he coughed, before standing up fully.

Whipping around, Barry sighed in relief. Hanging up on 911, he walked up to Wally and socked him in the arm- lightly. "You scared me half to death, Rudolph." He smirked, as Wally hugged him.

"C'mon, let's go home. Tell ya what, I'll even race you home." Barry said, knowing full well on Wally's love for running around.

Wally, not in the mood to talk about the weird man he started to think he imagined, smiled shakily as he agreed, getting in a running stance as Barry counted down from three to go.

Taking off, Wally and Barry were starting to be evenly matched, before Wally started to focus, lightning seeming to come from his feet as he zoomed toward home- unknowingly going faster than the speed of light.

Barry stopped and wondered where Wally went, for the second time that night, as Eobard Thawne watched the entire scene from his computer. "Three times the speed of light... Incredible. He'll be a part of the Rogues in a flash." He smirked at the pun he made, swirling around in his chair to look at the night life of Central City, an empty vile of the potion he had dubbed as 'SPEEDFORCE' in his hand.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Very well written. I like the chemistry between Barry and Wally.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By Joygirl

Very interesting, you're definitely making the mythos your own. Wally getting powers before Barry was a nice surprise as well. You could use a little bit of practice with narrative character, but that's only a minor observation. You have a very nice grasp on English, made this read very easy on the eyes. Great job. ;)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@_atomikill_: Nice start and isn't Thwane a villain called Zoom or something like that

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@_atomikill_: It's different, but in a good way. I liked the initial changes you made with the rogues and Thawne what I didn't like was the change in Barry's occupation. Barry's knowledge of science is really what defines him as a hero, changing that really changes a big part of the character. Other than that it was a great opener.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Well see, I know Barry's science is an initial factor in the creation of the Flash (with all the liquids and stuff that get on him before lightning strike) but here, Thawne and Grodd are going to be big factors in it, which will be cool because the villain literally creates the hero. But I get what you mean. Thanks.