DC Genesis: Superman Part Five

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

The smell of fresh paper filled the offices of The Daily Planet, as fax machines buzzed and printers heaved out the latest news. Receptionists picked up telephone calls from employees and customers. The good reporters kept an eye on a television screen to make sure the competition didn’t catch anything they didn’t. Employees typed away at their computers, and everyone was busy doing their own work.

All, that is, except for Lois Lane...she marched into her boss, Perry White’s office, and slammed the day’s paper down on the desk. “IS THIS THE THANKS I GET?!” she cried, throwing her hands up and the air then attaching them to her hips. “Page twelve?” Lois raised an eyebrow.

Perry White, the owner of the Daily Planet munched on a cigar, puffing out billows of smoke. His cigar had grown soggy from the time it had spent in his mouth. He caught it between two fingers and took it out. “Sorry, Lois, but someone else got the top story.” Perry spun around in his chair, facing the window.

Lois slammed her fist down onto the desk, flinging papers about. “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!” She cried. “The flying angel story?” by this point, Lois had gone completely berserk, nothing could stop her now. “A little girl reports a red and blue angel saved her when she fell out of a tree and THAT’S the top story?”

Perry wheeled his chair around, cautiously, and raised his hand up to stop Lois. “Look,” he said, careful to form his words correctly, “you’re one of my best—.” Lois gave him a look. “Strike that, THE best reporter I have…I’m not doubting you that your article was good, but a paper needs controversy to sell. Would you rather be out of a job?”

“Put, Perry, the story I found on Luthor—.”

“Could get the man who owns this paper in jail…now we all know Luthor is scum, I’ll grant you that.” Perry paused for a second to spit into his ashtray. “However, what you wrote had some evidence, but wasn’t strong enough to maintain front page news.”

“And a make believe story about a flying angel is?” By now it was clear to Perry that Lois had come prepared. She had a comeback for every argument he had.

Miles away and above the sky, Clark listened. The two conversed back and forth about whether he was real. Today would be his big moment. Today the world would know about Superman. He focused his hearing to find the perfect time to make his big debut. The wind blew gently on his face, relaxing him. He took the time to let it all soak in, and he breathed deep. He closed his eyes and took in each and every word on the conversation…finally, he flew forward! The wind whipped through his face and sprayed his hair back. His scarlet cape fluttered behind him. Onlookers pointed in the sky, unsure what the strange flying object was. Clark felt ridiculous at first, flying in the blankets he was rocketed to Earth in as a baby, but now the blankets felt like a second skin to him.

He swooped by the Daily Planet, slowly down slightly to make sure they caught a glimpse of him. He stopped in midair and began spiraling upwards into the sky. By now everyone had dropped what they were doing to get a look at the strange flying man. The sun shrouded his appearance, and reporters covered their eyes to block it. Perry’s cigar dropped from his mouth, and he gaped in awe.

“He’s real…” Perry whispered, in shock with wonder.

Lois dropped her pen, and looked up. She could almost see the flying man smile down at her. She blushed a bit at the thought of it, yet quickly dismissed the thought. When all was said and done, the figure rocketed past them, flying onward and out of sight.

“WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!” Perry barked, “BACK TA WORK!” at the sound of Perry’s voice everyone scrambled back to wait they were doing. Lois hesitated at the door. This time Perry raised an eyebrow. “Told you.” he smiled.

Lois took one step forward only to be shoved aside by none other than Jimmy Olsen. Only eighteen, Jimmy had yet to prove himself as a photographer. His red hair was spiked with gel and freckled dotted his face. He huffed and puffed as if he had just run a mile. With the last of his breath, he dropped photographs onto Perry’s desk. “I…took them…as soon…as I could…” he huffed.

Perry poured over the pictures. “Looks like a bird.” Perry muttered, turning the picture back and forth. “Olsen!” Perry barked, “do you want our readers thinking you photographed a plane.

“But you just said bird,” Jimmy whimpered, backing away.

Lois snatched the pictures out of Perry’s hand, examining them. “What’s the ‘S’ on his chest stand for?” Lois wondered…he needs a name…” Lois’ voice trailed off, repeating ‘S’ over and over. At last she had it.

“Superman.” she breathed, “he’s Superman….”

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CapFanboy

@primepower53: AWESOME!!!!!!

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#3  Edited By TheCannon

Nice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CapFanboy said:

glad you like it? What was your favorite part? :P

@TheCannon said:

Nice.

Thanks! What did you like about it?

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#5  Edited By TheCannon

@primepower53 said:

It was well written, had great dialogue, and I love the ending where he finally gets a name.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCannon said:

@primepower53 said:

It was well written, had great dialogue, and I love the ending where he finally gets a name.

good to know.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By CapFanboy

@primepower53 said:

@CapFanboy said:

"Perry White, the owner of the Daily Planet munched on a cigar, puffing out billows of smoke."

Though I think you are getting your dictionary out with the use of billows (since I don't see it too often,) this definitely was my favourite part. I could just imagine him, sat like a boss puffing till his lungs collapsed. xD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CapFanboy said:

@primepower53 said:

@CapFanboy said:

"Perry White, the owner of the Daily Planet munched on a cigar, puffing out billows of smoke."

Though I think you are getting your dictionary out with the use of billows (since I don't see it too often,) this definitely was my favourite part. I could just imagine him, sat like a boss puffing till his lungs collapsed. xD

oh quite the contrary! I just read a thesaurus whenever I get bored and I'm away from my comics... xD No joke. I seriously do that.