CUNNING: Epilogue

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

I walked down the long corridors, noting the thick layer of grime on the walls. The guards led me down while they tightly gripped their guns.

Finally we arrived at room 89776. With a clang the door flew open. The cell had a layer of dirt and grime similar to the ones on the wall. Rats scurried from the sudden light, breaking the darkness in the room. Chris sat on a bench in his cell, making no movement, not even looking up. Across from him was a bench identical to his own. I sat down on it and with another clang the door snapped shut. Chris sat in the same position, still making no movement or social effort.

“Hello.” I said, “I came to talk.”

In a sudden motion he thrust his arms forward, displaying his handcuffs. I had no idea what he wanted.

“I want to know why.” I stated.

Finally he looked up. Bumps and bruises adorned his face. A quarter of his face was wrapped in blood soaked bandages. He wore the same broken glasses from when we fought. “Heh….why?” he asked. “What is this, a comic book? Kid's show? I’m not the villain that reveals his grand scheme at the end.” He looked away. “Besides...you wouldn’t understand.”

I raised an eyebrow. “I think I’d understand more than you think.”

“Nice scars.” he said, smiling wickedly.

My voice grew stern. “Don’t change the subject, just tell me why.” I told him.

He shot me an evil glare. “Do you really want to know why?” in one fluid motion he rocketed up from his chair and stopped an inch from my face. “Those bastards killed my wife and kid.” He said with unnerving coldness. Saliva spewed on my face, yet I was careful not to show emotion. “Vito ordered the hit…Russo stood watch…and Roberto…” he repeated his voice with malice dripping from his lips. “Roberto, Roberto, Roberto…he was the one who actually did the deed.” He shot me and evil glare. “And you ruined my revenge.” He sank back down onto his bench and leaned against the wall. “But….I can understand why you would bring me in.”

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t chilled by his words. I gulped. “Why the Wizard of Oz?”

“It fascinated me as a kid,” he whispered, suddenly fully interested, “I was mocked as a child….that book was my escape. I wanted to introduce my son to the book, but they took him away weeks before I was ready….what better punishment?” he shifted slightly in his seat, “And again, I can understand why you’d want to bring me in. A murder is a murder….you wanted to end the suffering, didn’t you?” I began to grow uncomfortable. “You lost someone, too. Didn’t you?”

I opened my mouth to speak, then shut it quickly.

“I know you did…I can see it in your eyes.”

“That’s the difference between you and me.” I told him. “You broke the law…I decided to enforce it.”

He leaned back again, “which brings us to the ultimate question…what justifies a killing?”

“Nothing.” I stated.

“Really? You must be anti war.”

I gave him a puzzled look. “I don’t follow.”

“A soldier kills the enemy, he’s rewarded. A citizen kills the enemy, he’s punished.”

With that the doors swung open.”Times, up, Mr. Crier.” They told me. I picked myself up and stopped at the door. “You’ll be happy to know that Roberto Lombardi is facing criminal charges.”

I slammed the door shut.

To this day I still cannot answer the ultimate question. What justifies a killing, indeed?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump!

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I can see a inspiration of Watchmen/Ozymandas and Rorschach in the prisoner.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#4  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@primepower53: cool. nice ending...

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By batkevin74

@primepower53 said:

“A soldier kills the enemy, he’s rewarded. A citizen kills the enemy, he’s punished.”

To which his reply should've been "You are not a soldier, you get punished!"

This was good, overall a pretty good read. Well done!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74 said:

@primepower53 said:

To which his reply should've been "You are not a soldier, you get punished!"

This was good, overall a pretty good read. Well done!

That reply doesn't feel like something Jack would say...

glad you like it! Thanks!

@The Poet said:

@primepower53: cool. nice ending...

thank you very much!

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

I can see a inspiration of Watchmen/Ozymandas and Rorschach in the prisoner.

Thanks...I sort of based it off of that and the first scene from A Killing Joke.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primepower53: Yeah. I really saw Ozymandias at the part where he is like "What do you think I'm a comic book villain or TV Show villain? I don't reveal my grand scheme to you so easily!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primepower53: Yeah. I really saw Ozymandias at the part where he is like "What do you think I'm a comic book villain or TV Show villain? I don't reveal my grand scheme to you so easily!"

thanks!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primepower53: Part 2 in my series is out btw!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primepower53: Part 2 in my series is out btw!

JUST CHECKED IT OUT A WHILE AGO! :)